SPOILERS GALORE! Game of Thrones Season 7 BOOKFAGS thread

cdain3

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I joined the Bookfag team and am almost finished with the first book, Game of Thrones.  I assume I just want to read them in order.  I think I'll read Fire and Blood next thought since it takes places before the main books.   Anything else anyone can advise/tell me as I dig into these?  I'm not sure what that would be, but I figure this is the group to ask.  Maybe some of the other one off books he's written about this world.  

13 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

I joined the Bookfag team and am almost finished with the first book, Game of Thrones.  I assume I just want to read them in order.  I think I'll read Fire and Blood next thought since it takes places before the main books.   Anything else anyone can advise/tell me as I dig into these?  I'm not sure what that would be, but I figure this is the group to ask.  Maybe some of the other one off books he's written about this world.  

Skip books four and five. The first three are great. Four and five basically becomes "how long can I drag this out for additional cash?"

Skip books four and five. The first three are great. Four and five basically becomes "how long can I drag this out for additional cash?"

Well that’s disappointing I’ll still probably read the 4th one just to see what you’re talking about. Kind of like having to watch The Godfather III.

17 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Well that’s disappointing I’ll still probably read the 4th one just to see what you’re talking about. Kind of like having to watch The Godfather III.

No spoilers, but books four and five basically cover the same time period but with different POV, i.e. why do this in one book when I can do two! Book five IIRC does push the story along for maybe the last 150 pages. In addition to that, much less action, more wandering, and exponentially more mind-numbing descriptions of bowls of brown, boiled leather, and other stuff that really does not matter.

39 minutes ago, futureman said:

yeah but your logic is flawed as nobody should ever watch godfather III.

Ah come on.  You know you watched it.  If you're a huge fan of the first two, it would be almost impossible not to watch III.  Even if you have been warned for 30 years what a steaming pile of crap it is, you'd still have to watch it once.  I just watched it again several months ago out of some morbid curiosity.  

Spoiler

It really hasn't gotten any better

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

No spoilers, but books four and five basically cover the same time period but with different POV, i.e. why do this in one book when I can do two! Book five IIRC does push the story along for maybe the last 150 pages. In addition to that, much less action, more wandering, and exponentially more mind-numbing descriptions of bowls of brown, boiled leather, and other stuff that really does not matter.

Where do whores go?

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

Damn.  I thought you guys were just being overly critical.  So it's a rehash of the 2,500 pages I would have already read, just told by different characters?  WTF?   The 6th book will probably be The Old Nan Chronicles, where she goes over everything covered in the first 5 books.  Every chapter will be titled Old Nan.  I think I'll see if I can borrow the 5th one and just skip to the last 150 pages. 

Silver lining - just got out of reading 1500 pages!  More time for masturbating!

2 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Damn.  I thought you guys were just being overly critical.  So it's a rehash of the 2,500 pages I would have already read, just told by different characters?  WTF?   The 6th book will probably be The Old Nan Chronicles, where she goes over everything covered in the first 5 books.  Every chapter will be titled Old Nan.  I think I'll see if I can borrow the 5th one and just skip to the last 150 pages. 

Silver lining - just got out of reading 1500 pages!  More time for masturbating!

Not 2,500 but 900 of book four. Basically instead of telling the "book four-five story" using 10 POV characters like in the first three, he decides to do 25 POV characters split among the two books. I don't know the exact time period, but both four and five occur over the same say six-month period ... with book five maybe adding a month IIRC. It really is just the mind-numbing details about crap that really wears you out.

FWIW - it's been so long I've basically completely forgotten about the series. I really don't even care what happens at this point.

21 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Not 2,500 but 900 of book four. Basically instead of telling the "book four-five story" using 10 POV characters like in the first three, he decides to do 25 POV characters split among the two books. I don't know the exact time period, but both four and five occur over the same say six-month period ... with book five maybe adding a month IIRC. It really is just the mind-numbing details about crap that really wears you out.

FWIW - it's been so long I've basically completely forgotten about the series. I really don't even care what happens at this point.

Thanks.  Now I think I got it.   So skip book 4 or skip book 5.  Who am I kidding.  I'll probably read them both and skip over some of the characters I don't like as much 

Books 4 & 5 were supposed to be one book but it was split into two. POV characters only appear in one or the other.  This is fine.  But, fat man couldn't just have 2 300-page books, he had to bloat them up to 500+ pages each to make them comparable to the first three novels.  As a result, they are a slog.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018 at 12:44 PM, Chewbacca said:

Knowing what you know about this series, why would anyone start reading it now?  He's never going to finish it.  Hell, we might never even get Winds of Winter at this point.

My pathetic need to always be the smartest guy in the room maybe?  Whatever it is, I'm enjoying it.  I read the first book and the new Targaryen book, Fire and Blood.  I could read another 500 pages of that one.  My only complaint was that the book ended after the Aegon III and never got close to Robert's Rebellion.  

38 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

My pathetic need to always be the smartest guy in the room maybe?  Whatever it is, I'm enjoying it.  I read the first book and the new Targaryen book, Fire and Blood.  I could read another 500 pages of that one.  My only complaint was that the book ended after the Aegon III and never got close to Robert's Rebellion.  

Enjoy your pending blue balls.  I suggest you start reading Patrick Rothfuss next.

26 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

You think it's actually coming out?

of course.  I think he’s having fun with people, seeing everyone squawk about it never getting finished.  it’ll come out whenever he wants it to and when it does people will lose their minds trying to get their hands on it.  

1 hour ago, futureman said:

of course.  I think he’s having fun with people, seeing everyone squawk about it never getting finished.  it’ll come out whenever he wants it to and when it does people will lose their minds trying to get their hands on it.  

It will be interesting to see how the resolution of the story via the show impacts interest in the books. I could see it going either way: 1) a bunch of new fans want the detail and added complexity of the books; 2) a bunch of bookfags say 'screw it, I know how it ends.;

Ill probably just order it on amazon, ya know? Probably won’t lose much mind that way.
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

400+ pages of meal descriptions and back stories of 3rd cousins' grandfathers with no impact on the current storyline! #cantwait

lulz.  I was gonna try and start reading the series a few years ago until I heard he’d spend about 100 fucking pages on some obscure and inconsequential tangent that would be completely left behind for no apparent reason.  so I stuck to HBO. 

• 2 weeks later...