Directors who get a lotta mileage out of you....

GreenspointTexas

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

To elaborate (because I can’t believe no one else chimed in): MNS has to be the poster child for this thread. Dropped an iconic film early and has spent a career trying to live up to it. I like a lot of his work (Unbreakable, Signs, The Visit, Split, Glass) but none of them lived up to Sixth Sense, and there a lot of real stinkers in there (The Happening anyone?).

But I still keep watching, hoping for more greatness.

Finally, a solid reply on this page

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/13/2021 at 10:00 AM, Buzzrock said:

To elaborate (because I can’t believe no one else chimed in): MNS has to be the poster child for this thread. Dropped an iconic film early and has spent a career trying to live up to it. I like a lot of his work (Unbreakable, Signs, The Visit, Split, Glass) but none of them lived up to Sixth Sense, and there a lot of real stinkers in there (The Happening anyone?).

Signs is his best movie.  I like the Sixth Sense vibe and the hook, but I think it's just edged out by Signs, which managers to capture the goofy Americana that Jaws captured.  I think that's a big deal.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Signs is his best movie.  I like the Sixth Sense vibe and the hook, but I think it's just edged out by Signs, which managers to capture the goofy Americana that Jaws captured.  I think that's a big deal.

I love Signs, I mean really love it, but a lot of people don’t (for some reason) and it’s not as iconic as The Sixth Sense. “I see dead people” and it’s variants have been a thing ever since, and the movie was released 22 years ago.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

I love Signs, I mean really love it, but a lot of people don’t (for some reason) and it’s not as iconic as The Sixth Sense. “I see dead people” and it’s variants have been a thing ever since, and the movie was released 22 years ago.

Well, I've used this line about 100 times more than I've ever used "I see dead people."  Quoting Signs is one of the few things that crack my wife up.

b1335ee811c32af36aae6d5e5d953642.gif

Also:  "I'm insane with anger!!!"

and "I don't want any of you spending time with [any teenage girl who seems like trouble] alone.  Is that understood?

Given that my wife really likes signs, I feel I must concede any argument that it is a superior movie to any other.

This thread takes me back to the mid 70s, when my teenage bibliophile niece, out of the blue, gave me Stephen King's anthology Night Shift.  I've been a zombie for his work ever since.  Still waiting for someone to adapt 11.22.63.  

Back on thread, Ridley Scott, the Coens and Tarantino are three of my favorite automatic watches.  Bravissimo fine films and their makers, spice of life variety and all.

18 hours ago, Frank The Tank said:

Hulu did a mini series with James Franco about 5 years ago. 

Thanks. I spend too much time in a cave.  IMDB gives it 8.2, a very high rating.  I'll give it a watch.  History doesn't want to be changed.  That line always bothered me but it's very Stephen King.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/13/2021 at 10:00 AM, Buzzrock said:

He didn't direct it (producer/story credits), so I guess it's not really relevant to a thread about directors, but Devil is the most underrated MNS-involved movie IMO that is often forgotten.

I didn't care for The Visit.  Found footage type movies were already done to death by the time I got around to seeing it.  Split was a good watch, but still not close to the Sixth Sense or Signs.  I'm on team Tantric that Signs was a little better, but that may be because Sixth Sense's ending was spoiled by a friend before I saw it.

Kevin Smith kind of had the same type of career for me.  He probably peaked with his first film with Clerks.  Then he made some good movies in Mallrats, Dogma, and Chasing Amy.  Then there were some truly awful movies that followed with a few decent ones mixed in here and there.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm a Barry Levinson Boy. 

Bugsy was OK. I kind of of liked Toys which everybody hated. Just a weird as hell, children's movie(?!) made in the appropriate era. 

He hasn't had a hit in quite some time, but he's gold in my book for his work from 1982 to 1997. The Diner (criminally underrated), The Natural (arguably the greatest sports movie ever made), Good Morning, Vietnam, Rain Man, and Bugsy. He had a nice little death rattle in 1996 and 1997 with Sleepers and Wag the Dog. 

On 3/9/2021 at 10:50 AM, SimonBolivar said:

I'll watch anything Wes Anderson because of Rushmore (Bottle Rocket is fine, but Rushmore sealed it).

I'm a bit late to the party but Rushmore is a special film.    Some of Wes's other movies aren't all that great but I still appreciate them for what they are.

I saved Latin!  What did YOU ever do?