Electric grill

Mo Horn

First off, I don't even want to have to talk about using an electric grill, instead of gas, charcoal, or wood. But, we are moving to a new place that doesn't allow anything but electric grills on the balcony. Does anybody have any experience with them? I looked at the Weber and it got decent reviews. The complex we're moving to does have some gas grills, so I'll use those, but it's a pain to have to lug all the food and stuff to another place.

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

First off, I don't even want to have to talk about using an electric grill, instead of gas, charcoal, or wood. But, we are moving to a new place that doesn't allow anything but electric grills on the balcony. Does anybody have any experience with them? I looked at the Weber and it got decent reviews. The complex we're moving to does have some gas grills, so I'll use those, but it's a pain to have to lug all the food and stuff to another place.

I have the weber one at my boat slip and it does great.  Got the stand for it and a griddle for one side.  You probably don't need the griddle if it's for your house (because you'll have a kitchen for that type of cooking), but I wanted the diversity for the slip as it is my only real means of cooking.  I can cook just about anything on it.  Full disclosure, I'm a huge weber fanboi so they really can't do much wrong in my eyes.

And I lived at a condo a few years back that didn't allow any grills on the patios but had some public grills and I confirm with 100% certainty that using the public grills was a giant pain in the balls.  Between the trips back and forth and the fact that they didn't cook all that great, I opted to not grill rather than have to use those.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

I have the weber one at my boat slip and it does great.  Got the stand for it and a griddle for one side.  You probably don't need the griddle if it's for your house (because you'll have a kitchen for that type of cooking), but I wanted the diversity for the slip as it is my only real means of cooking.  I can cook just about anything on it.  Full disclosure, I'm a huge weber fanboi so they really can't do much wrong in my eyes.

And I lived at a condo a few years back that didn't allow any grills on the patios but had some public grills and I confirm with 100% certainty that using the public grills was a giant pain in the balls.  Between the trips back and forth and the fact that they didn't cook all that great, I opted to not grill rather than have to use those.

I'm a Weber faithful myself. I will hate giving up my current one. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 3:13 PM, Mo Horn said:

I'm a Weber faithful myself. I will hate giving up my current one. 

Here you go, Mo.  Looks like they're coming out with a premium one soon.  Prepare your wallet's anus though...it's $900, which is pretty spendy for a little electric.  The other Weber option, discussed above, is $320 for a Q 2400 grill plus another $120 for the cart for a total of $440.

Two separate burners would be cool I guess, although I've never really felt the need for it on mine.  And the side table would definitely be nice.

Whatever on the meat thermometer part.  Unless you can actually control the temps remotely, which might be kind of cool.  Hard to tell which this is.  But if it's just a wifi meat probe thermometer, then whatever.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/electric-grills/pulse-series/85012001.html

85012001Y3_1800-x-1800.png?auto=compress

I'd probably buy one after watching her talk about it...

In all seriousness, I'd probably get it, depending on how long you plan on being there.  If it were my only grill, I'd get it just so I knew that I had as good of an option as possible, since I'm already being punished enough for having to have electric.  But I'm also a sucker for shit like that.

But seriously, the chick in the video talked me into it.

• Hook 'Em 1

IMHO...a lot depends on where you live. I had one when I lived in a 25th floor Penthouse in NYC. I had one of those Electric/InfraRed grills. I found it rarely got as hot as I wanted it it and if it was cold out? forget it, no way it would make temp. 

On 3/9/2021 at 6:17 PM, Mo Horn said:

fully sympathize with you.  i poo'poo'ed them, but i settled for a weber Q1400 and the fisrt time i used it it felt hottttt as fuck.  strangely the subsequent uses are not as impressive (we have 240v power). 

friend has a pulse 2000 with the temp control function, and results with the right steak is unfaultable. 

basically if youre forced to use electric, you can do a lot worse than weber.  (i have/had W kettles, SMs, Performers, all were great)

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, next2naus said:

IMHO...a lot depends on where you live. I had one when I lived in a 25th floor Penthouse in NYC. I had one of those Electric/InfraRed grills. I found it rarely got as hot as I wanted it it and if it was cold out? forget it, no way it would make temp. 

Awesome.  well done.

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Here you go, Mo.  Looks like they're coming out with a premium one soon.  Prepare your wallet's anus though...it's $900, which is pretty spendy for a little electric.  The other Weber option, discussed above, is $320 for a Q 2400 grill plus another $120 for the cart for a total of $440.

Two separate burners would be cool I guess, although I've never really felt the need for it on mine.  And the side table would definitely be nice.

Whatever on the meat thermometer part.  Unless you can actually control the temps remotely, which might be kind of cool.  Hard to tell which this is.  But if it's just a wifi meat probe thermometer, then whatever.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/electric-grills/pulse-series/85012001.html

85012001Y3_1800-x-1800.png?auto=compress

I'd probably buy one after watching her talk about it...

In all seriousness, I'd probably get it, depending on how long you plan on being there.  If it were my only grill, I'd get it just so I knew that I had as good of an option as possible, since I'm already being punished enough for having to have electric.  But I'm also a sucker for shit like that.

But seriously, the chick in the video talked me into it.

Thanks. I'm not gonna shell out almost $1000 on it, but I'll check out the other ones.