The Trial of Derek Chauvin

TexasHooch

Just now, Red Five said:

Verdict will be read in the next 1-2 hours. 

TWO HOURS! 

two weeks.  

I just took a two pound shit.  

I gotta buy a lottery ticket. 

1 minute ago, Deej said:

I'd stay indoors in Minneapolis tonight regardless of the verdict. 

Yup.  All activities have been canceled anyway.  Wife's headed home with the kids and we'll just have a game night.  Wait, shit. Do I have time to go get some beer?

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Robert Duval was so good in that movie.  You think he’s the villain when the entire damn time he’s trying to get the John Travolta character to do the right thing, and he never does to his ultimate downfall. 

Interesting perspective, particularly as you are a plaintiff's lawyer.  His character, Jerome Facher, was supposed to be a great trial lawyer and a pretty decent human being.  At times in the film and the book, it seemed as though he let the lawyer part get in the way of his humanity.

But I think you're right in that Schlichtmann lost sight of everything in that case in pursuit of some vanity or other.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

Yup.  All activities have been canceled anyway.  Wife's headed home with the kids and we'll just have a game night.  Wait, shit. Do I have time to go get some beer?

just don't go to Cup Foods (too soon?)

Edited by WillUSAF
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

We all know Portland's sister city is whatever one that's rioting. I wonder what if they'll continue to burn down Nike and Apple stores. 

As a show of solidarity with both police and people of color brutalized by police...3,000 Austinites are staging an overnight "sit-in" tonight all around downtown and along major Austin highway corridors.  They'll be putting up tents, cooking food, drinking, and socializing all night, every night until Derek Chauvin is released from prison.  Nobody is sure what exactly their position is, only that they smell.  

Edited by Lobo

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

No chance that 12 jurors all believe this quickly that he’s not guilty. Pretty sure the only suspense is which offense(s) he’s guilty of. 

Agreed.  And it almost seems to quick for a compromise on a lesser charge.  Why I'm putting my $$ on Murder 2.

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

No chance that 12 jurors all believe this quickly that he’s not guilty. Pretty sure the only suspense is which offense(s) he’s guilty of. 

OJ was four hours of deliberation.

Rodney King was seven days.

Who fuckin knows, ya know?

1 minute ago, Hawndoh said:

You would think so, if you are a rational person with the capacity for compassion and who views black people as fellow humans.

I'm just worried that 1 in 12 might not fit that description.

There very well may be but I can't fathom he or she could have carried the room in this short of time.

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I'm going with Murder 2.   I simply can't fathom watching that video and acquitting.  I refuse to believe that's actually on the table.  

Murder 2 sounds right.  Chauvin didn't mean to kill him, but he did mean to hurt him, and in the process, a guy who wasn't resisting, fighting, or fleeing ended up dead.  If that's not murder 2 or manslaughter, especially with Chauvin's prior complaint record, then we have lost our way even worse than I already think we have.  

They need to send this monster away for a very long time.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

Agreed.  And it almost seems to quick for a compromise on a lesser charge.  Why I'm putting my $$ on Murder 2.

As long as it's got "murder" in the ruling the city will be ok.  The city will burn over Manslaughter just as much as it will on Not-Guilty.

• Like 1

Just now, TexasHooch said:

As long as it's got "murder" in the ruling the city will be ok.  The city will burn over Manslaughter just as much as it will on Not-Guilty.

I suspect this is right.  I can see some division on the highest charge.  But if they fall short of any verdict that includes "murder," it's not good.

2 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

1 minute ago, MissingInAction said:

Anything less than murder 2 and Minnesota burns.

Yep.