The Trial of Derek Chauvin

TexasHooch

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Personally I think that America has never been more aligned on a potential verdict for a case with such strong racial background issues. Which is progress.

**Excluding the racist fucks on Orangebloods and Texags

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

No shit.  I haven't been this nervous since 4th and 5.

Completely different.  With 4th & 5, I was nervous.  But at the same time, I kind of knew Vince would score and I was incredibly eager to see how he was going to do it.

On this, it's nervous mixed with a sense of impending doom.  It's more like the kick-off of every Texas-OU game for the past decade.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, Captainant said:

who's gonna start the new riot shitposting and dogwhistle thread of dominance?

"Meh, damn jury only came back with that verdict to avoid watching their city burn.  They caved to pressure from the media, Maxine Waters, and BLM!" 

Do you think their verdict may have also been swayed by watching the defendant slowly kill the deceased on a vetted and reliable multi-angle video?  

"I dunno, maybe.  I'm gonna go, good luck with your firings.  I hope they go really well."  

14 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I disagree with an opinion on CNN that this verdict somehow reflects America. It reflects what 12 people thought. 

A guilty verdict on Chauvin doesn't make America less racist or that our problems are solved. And a not guilty verdict does not make America worse than it was this morning. 

Personally I think that America has never been more aligned on a potential verdict for a case with such strong racial background issues. Which is progress.

Of course you're right.  But CNN (and others in media) want this to be THE be all / end all...until the next thing that is THE be all / end all.  That's the way news networks work. It's definitely important but a guilty verdict isn't ' yay, we aren't racist POS anymore!'...

Hold onto your butts.

My call:  Guilty on all three counts.

I'll be honest, I thought before and during the early parts of the trial that they were going to have difficulty with causation.  The coroner's report, toxicology report, other medical issues, etc. combined with the BARD evidentiary standard I thought was just going to be too high of a bar.  But the prosecution and their experts have really done an excellent job.

Edited by Ojo Rojo
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Completely different.  With 4th & 5, I was nervous.  But at the same time, I kind of knew Vince would score and I was incredibly eager to see how he was going to do it.
On this, it's nervous mixed with a sense of impending doom.  It's more like the kick-off of every Texas-OU game for the past decade.

JFC don’t football the CR/DT. Have you no decency?
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

You've been consistent on Manslaughter.  What swayed you on murder?

I just think it is what the jury will do.  His knee on Floyd for 5 minutes post him passing out/losing consciousness.  I also did not realize the agg assault that caused death could be the underlying felony to sustain murder 2.

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Chauvin broke the world, not the people gathered in that city tonight. 

Any asshole who loots and commits arson is independently responsible for their bullshit.  And I will feel as much sympathy if the property owner turns their head into a canoe as I did for that woman who was shot by capital police on Jan 6.

• Hook 'Em 2

This delay combined with the frantic barricading and fencing near the police station makes me nervous.
Stupid question: it's not possible to leak a not guilty verdict to the other authorities to give them time to prepare, right?

If it was, I feel like there’s a zero percent chance that wouldn’t get out instantly.

3 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

If they were going to acquit, I think they at least dick around a couple of days to make it look good and get some free hotel time

I feel it's the opposite in this case.  If they think Chauvin was lawful, all three charges are decided quickly.

Even if they found him guilty of Murder 2 quickly, they would need to walk through the other charges.

Edited by JBJ

Personally, I'm numb waiting for this. 

We've been let down so many times before so I'm just expecting not guilty. 

I'm not a law bro, but all the law bros on CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC keep saying a quick verdict is good for the defense typically. 

2 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

This delay combined with the frantic barricading and fencing near the police station makes me nervous.

Stupid question: it's not possible to leak a not guilty verdict to the other authorities to give them time to prepare, right?

You don't remember the OJ jailer telling OJ to not worry, because one of his buddies handling the jury told him the verdict?

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Any asshole who loots and commits arson is independently responsible for their bullshit.  And I will feel as much sympathy if the property owner turns their head into a canoe as I did for that woman who was shot by capital police on Jan 6.

Hopefully there's no white nationalists out inciting like last time in Minneapolis, right?

https://www.startribune.com/police-umbrella-man-was-a-white-supremacist-trying-to-incite-floyd-rioting/571932272/

Some people are gonna celebrate the verdict tonight.  A few of them will get out of hand and should be held accountable.  But for the most part, this will be a reasonable and cathartic release.  And within a week, another black man will be killed for no reason by police.  And within a week, we'll have another mass shooting.  Not much will change.  But it's a start.