The Trial of Derek Chauvin

TexasHooch

There will still be some mayhem -- because some assholes will take advantage of ANY situation.  And the cops will do their "we refuse to do our job" bullshit in response to this, because they still don't get it and never will.
All that said.....this is the best possible outcome, given the predicate events.

Like whenever Philly wins something

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I thought ex-cops were always kept segregated from gen pop. That doesn't mean he won't receive specially treated meals from the gen pop inmates.

i have an ex-gf and her first husband was a cop and got caught banging a 16 yr old girl. He got 20 yrs in federal prison and is in general pop

7 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

It was the right outcome based on the law and the evidence.

It was a good outcome for whatever healing or change can come from this tragedy.

I keep waiting for a turning point.  At some point, if you are a cop, do you look at this and change your approach?  Do you say to yourself, "Hey, maybe I shouldn't shoot this guy because I could be charged with a crime."  Hasn't happened yet.  Maybe this is the moment.  I doubt it, but it could be.

If you're a cop who has those thoughts, there's a non-zero chance your fellow boys in blue will murder you.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Cacti said:

That was Hank Johnson—not Maxine. Rep. Johnson’s concern about Guan tipping over has to be one of the funniest remarks I’ve heard from an elected official.

I was most surprised that the Admiral he said it to did not give him the biggest Tommy Lee Jones' look ever.  Guy held it together amazingly well.

• Hook 'Em 1

I guess in a Minnesota state prison, Chauvin will probably have some friends who will safeguard him since he's a killer of black people.  But as stated above, only as long as it suits them.

Aryans:  "Chauvin is with his brothers now, cop or no cop.  You gotta go through us to get to him, so back the fuck down."

Every other gang: "Uh, we'll let you have exclusive sales of all narcotics in Cell Blocks B & C for the next month."

Aryans: "Hey Derek...sorry brother.  You need to follow these nice gentlemen out to the yard, they need a word with you.  Don't worry man, you're probably gonna die of something else before they actually choke you out."  

8 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Maybe...JUST FUCKING MAYBE....this will be like a lightning bolt through the entire police force across our nation and show them that they are not above the law.

Yeah.....I wouldn't bet money on that outcome that you can't afford to lose.

8 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I keep waiting for a turning point.  At some point, if you are a cop, do you look at this and change your approach?  Do you say to yourself, "Hey, maybe I shouldn't shoot this guy because I could be charged with a crime."  Hasn't happened yet.  Maybe this is the moment.  I doubt it, but it could be.

Your doubts are correct.

5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Police departments across the country will spend more on back the blue flags after this than they will on better training for their officers on how to properly subdue suspects.

This.  They will  double down.  They will be even MORE defiant.  That look you saw in Chauvin's eyes?  That utter "fuck you, peasants, I'll do what I want to him and you can't stop me?"  Expect a LOT of that look.

Maybe some cops.  Maybe some PDs.  MAYBE some of them will wake up.  But not enough to matter.

Policing in this country needs to see this kind of result over, and over, and over, before they will realize "huh....maybe we DO have a problem we should fix."

Can't lie, seeing justice done here after fucking crooked cops like Daniel Shaver's murderer got away with it because of Thin Blue Line protectors on juries gave me chills. My wife and I shouted and clapped when the verdict was read.  I can only imagine how impactful this is to millions of black Americans accustomed to watching our justice system fail them. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

Can't lie, seeing justice done here after fucking crooked cops like Daniel Shaver's murderer got away with it because of Thin Blue Line protectors on juries gave me chills. My wife and I shouted and clapped when the verdict was read.  I can only imagine how impactful this is to millions of black Americans accustomed to watching our justice system fail them. 

Not gonna lie, I choked up a little when the verdict was read.  And while I'm hispanic, I'm pretty privileged and safe.  If you're black in this country, I can only imagine the feeling of having the system acknowledge the truth of what happened.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, 'stache said:

It will. The Derek Chauvin Safety Act. It will grant superimmunity to any cop for any killing and prevent trials of any kind. Maybe not nationally since Dems hold the house, but I bet money some states try something to prevent any type of accountability for cops citing this "injustice" of a verdict. Oklahoma is about to make it legal to plow over protesters with your car, so yeah, reform is coming.

Not trying to turn this more political than it already is but don't kid yourself. There's definitely a HUGE split within the party with respect to policing, and we all saw it when they played semantics with "defunding." Don't put it past (I'm assuming) your party to feel that "law and order" needs to be reestablished. And if you don't believe me, just look at Clinton's 3 strike rule and other criminal policies, and Obama's "get tough [read mass deportations] at the border." 

Both parties suck ass when it comes to policing. But I'd also argue policing could be substituted for just about any other topic. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Not trying to turn this more political than it already is but don't kid yourself. There's definitely a HUGE split within the party with respect to policing, and we all saw it when they played semantics with "defunding." Don't put it past (I'm assuming) your party to feel that "law and order" needs to be reestablished. And if you don't believe me, just look at Clinton's 3 strike rule and other criminal policies, and Obama's "get tough [read mass deportations] at the border." 

Both parties suck ass when it comes to policing. But I'd also argue policing could be substituted for just about any other topic. 

We should be striving for "rule of law" rather than  "law and order."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

There’s no way they double down in expanding police authority, but you’re right that there’s not enough courage among dems to make any positive changes.

• Rage+1 1

Why can’t, as Keith Ellison said, this verdict be an inflection point? No one wants to see someone lose their lives from an encounter with police; that includes police officers.  Accountability is necessary to ensure this. 

This shouldn’t have been a historic verdict. (Meaning a LONG time in coming.)

But it is. And it should be a moment of reflection and for People to be able to rejoice if only for a moment. Tons more work to be done. Please let this be a jumping off point towards better and greater things. ❤️❤️

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

One can hope. 

Rage sells, but who’s raging against this?  This board is unified. I can’t imagine Texags isn’t largely in favor of the verdict. But those are some fucktards so who knows. 

that makes me think you have never been to that board.

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3194963

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3194962

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3194948

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3194715/0

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3194968

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3194957

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3194964

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, mchookem said:

good lord do NOT visit TexAgs unless you want to feel ill. i'm honestly shocked some of those comments are allowed 😳 i don't know how any young minority can choose to go there! disgusting.

Ruh-roh. Quick, somebody create another whorn FOIA email distraction! 

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

Why can’t, as Keith Ellison said, this verdict be an inflection point? No one wants to see someone lose their lives from an encounter with police; that includes police officers.  Accountability is necessary to ensure this. 

This shouldn’t have been a historic verdict. (Meaning a LONG time in coming.)

But it is. And it should be a moment of reflection and for People to be able to rejoice if only for a moment. Tons more work to be done. Please let this be a jumping off point towards better and greater things. ❤️❤️

I love your optimism.  Even if I don't share it.

You don't understand how deeply rooted the utter contempt for the rest of us is in most PDs.  There are two possible responses to this event.  One is to acknowledge and accept that there is a huge cultural problem in PDs, and commit to change it and do better.  The other is to circle the wagons, and be even MORE defiant.  Having watched PD behavior the past umpteen years.....which one is the better bet?  Go to Texags if you want to know how the typical cop brain feels today.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mchookem said:

good lord do NOT visit TexAgs unless you want to feel ill. i'm honestly shocked some of those comments are allowed 😳 i don't know how any young minority can choose to go there! disgusting.

I’m sure it’s worse there based on the goober culture, but I think most college sports message boards with political boards are going to be dominated by racism and the like. I stopped visiting them on OSU boards because it was horrible and embarrassing. Just a product of the types of people who are attracted to those parts of the boards.

10 minutes ago, sidis said:

"...pasty white, limp wristed liberals squealing with glee at today's verdict should have to experience what it's like when no one is there to protect you...like Chauvin's jury wasn't there for him."

lol...apparently a jury's job is to "be there" for the defendant. Rrrrrah much rage!!!

Edited by CurlyDumps

So glad those jurors got it right. Anybody who watched the cops beat Rodney King to a pulp and get off scott free couldn't help but imagine a miscarriage of justice could happen again. Keep moving forward, Minnesota and America, one step at a time.

I'm trying to remember, but wasn't it discovered that Chauvin was also a tax cheat & was not reporting the income from his side security jobs? It'd be a damn shame if he ends up losing all of his ill gotten goods while rotting beneath the jail cell.

Skol, Minnesota!

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, elfenix said:

why the fuck do those chucklefucks start so many goddamn threads?

It’s the best example of their inferiority complex. They constantly seek validation from others. They can’t have their opinion buried in a thread. They need to make sure people see their thought and say it’s okay. 

3 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

lol...apparently a jury's job is to "be there" for the defendant. Rrrrrah much rage!!!

kind of surprised by this statement to be honest

The nation’s largest police union said moments after Derek Chauvin’s verdict that “justice has worked as it should.” 

The National Fraternal Order of Police, which represents the nation’s more than 350,000 police officers, called the trial “fair” and said “due process was served,” according to a statement released by the organization on Twitter. 

“Our system of justice has worked as it should, with the prosecutors and defense presenting their evidence to the jury, which then deliberated and delivered a verdict,” the statement read. “The trial was fair and due process was served. We hope and expect that all of our fellow citizens will respect the rule of law and remain peaceful tonight and in the days to come.”

What I want to know is how many people had two speeches written for this moment? Had to have been all of them.

I try to see a moment like today (almost 30 years after the Rodney King verdict) as an opportunity to do what we can in the present. The present is what matters. Be mindful of the past and what we can learn from it. Keep an eye on the future but focus on what we can do right now.

Usually that shit gets said to someone when they’ve gone through something shitty: If you live in the past you will more often than not be depressed. Wondering what wasn’t and what might have been. If you live in the future you will always be anxious of the many things outside your control. If you live in the present and live in the now, that’s your best shot. 

🤘🏼❤️🤘🏼

• Hook 'Em 3