The Trial of Derek Chauvin

TexasHooch

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

That honestly reads like they had it queued up for a not guilty verdict and sent the wrong tweet. 

Yup, o bet they’re being bombarded right now by their constituents and will release something “clarifying” this statement.

51 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

holy shit. that shock you felt was millions of people breathing a collective sigh. thank fucking christ.

i was today years old when i learned that getting a copper guilty requires 9 mins of video, lots of witnesses, specific MMA witnesses, lots of previous copper murder in said city, national attention for months, and of course lets not forget a pandemic

(some) posts on this thread read like shit and show a lack of empathy (by some) and arrogance (by some others). to argue about a scenario of rioting (or not) or trust the system or whatever other BAU comments is just appalling IMO. shows complete lack of what a large chunk people are going through - from the murders through to the stress and anxiety of being a second class citizen with a corrupted watch dog constantly on your ass. even to get caught up in the legal game of it seems completely disingenuous and missing the forest through the trees. my 2 cents. and i hope chauvin enjoys PMITA prison too. asshole. 

ya'll homies be good. nice news to wake up. better than my Jan 7th thats for sure. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

That first one, “Every Police Officer in America Should Quit,” I mean... Yeah. Now, we feel that way for very different reasons but I can get on board with that.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Even the conservative people I know who spend time on those far right rotbrain "news" websites were like "Yeah that George Floyd video is horrible."  You have to be a special one to decide you wanna die on that Chauvin hill.

I am sure the cops will use this to redouble their efforts to avoid wearing body cameras or allowing themselves to be filmed. 

1 hour ago, 4th and 5 said:

How the fuck does someone kill someone and get convicted of 3 different homicides?

Does the Double Jeopardy clause apply in that state?

The second-degree unintentional murder charge alleges Chauvin caused Floyd's death "without intent" while committing or attempting to commit felony third-degree assault. In turn, third-degree assault is defined as the intentional infliction of substantial bodily harm.
The third-degree murder charge alleges Chauvin caused Floyd's death by "perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life."
The second-degree manslaughter charge alleges Chauvin caused Floyd's death by "culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm."

Double jeopardy only applies to two TRIALs, not two charges or counts asserted in the same trial.

The lower charges are "lesser included offenses," which basically means, if you're guilty of the higher ones, you're also guilty of the lower ones, but the converse is not true.   If you look at what you posted, each has a lower standard of intentionality than the next higher one. The lower offenses were charged in the event the jury found the highest charge not to be proven.

Pretty sure the judge will only enter judgment of conviction on the highest offense.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Even the conservative people I know who spend time on those far right rotbrain "news" websites were like "Yeah that George Floyd video is horrible."  You have to be a special one to decide you wanna die on that Chauvin hill.

I am sure the cops will use this to redouble their efforts to avoid wearing body cameras or allowing themselves to be filmed. 

I hope not. Why the fuck would anyone trust a cop?

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm happy with the verdict but sad that the whole event occurred. We should have never known the names George Floyd and Derek Chauvin. 

You would have eventually known Chauvin's name. 

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, staboner said:

holy hell at the texags threads. wish i didn't open them

You don't enjoy highly intellectual discussions about how short sighted the founders were for allowing black people to be brought to the country (as slaves)? 

• Rage+1 1

Not only is there a good chance that this does not mark a sea change in policing behavior, it may not even signal better responses from the criminal justice system.

Due to the nature of the case, the publicity, the protests, every step of this trial was heavily scrutinized.  And it was in a "yankee" jurisdiction where some of the more distasteful racial/cop dynamics may not be as strong in some southern jurisdictions.

There's still room for hope.  Guarded hope, but hope nonetheless.

It's not a cop case, but if the Arbery case comes down as it seems it should, then maybe we have some more basis for hope.

Edited by TwiceHorn

54 minutes ago, Blotto said:

kind of surprised by this statement to be honest

The nation’s largest police union said moments after Derek Chauvin’s verdict that “justice has worked as it should.” 

The National Fraternal Order of Police, which represents the nation’s more than 350,000 police officers, called the trial “fair” and said “due process was served,” according to a statement released by the organization on Twitter. 

“Our system of justice has worked as it should, with the prosecutors and defense presenting their evidence to the jury, which then deliberated and delivered a verdict,” the statement read. “The trial was fair and due process was served. We hope and expect that all of our fellow citizens will respect the rule of law and remain peaceful tonight and in the days to come.”

I'm not.  The thing is, these unions/orders are tasked with defending their fellow cops and in this instance, the needs of the many (all cops in this union) outweighs the needs of the few, or the one (Chauvin).

Chauvin's actions made life difficult for all other cops. Every time somebody like him kills somebody, that just ramps up the rhetoric against all cops, and it ensures that more and more people are going to be filming more and more interactions that the cops have with the public, and those cops are getting doxxed at times, which makes life far more difficult for cops.

National unions know which way the wind is blowing - while many of their members may not act like it, ultimately the leadership acknowledges that we pays the cops' salaries, and that every time a cop murders somebody, it edges civilian leadership towards putting more and more restraints on cops.  

These unions walk a fine line between defending their members, and pissing off the public into pushing through some kind of police reform. They could not defend Chauvin.

49 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

That first one, “Every Police Officer in America Should Quit,” I mean... Yeah. Now, we feel that way for very different reasons but I can get on board with that.

39 minutes ago, staboner said:

holy hell at the texags threads. wish i didn't open them

Most of those TexAgs posters would shit their pants if all cops went on strike for a week.  They'd quickly buy a shit-ton of groceries at Randall's or Krogers and then retreat to their cheap-ass subdivisions and call into their jobs that they had been exposed to covid and weren't feeling well and needed to be home for a week or two. They would spend the week posting on Nextdoor about exactly what race and religion the brown person two blocks away was, without actually asking what race or religion they were.

Also, those same fucking TexAgs posters were probably trashing the LEO who shot the fucking Qanon idiot at the Capitol on January 6th, who decided she would fuck around and find out with the security of Pence and the Representatives that were there.

And those same posters were probably trashing the DPS troopers who showed up when a bunch of the Qanon crowd decided they were going to open carry around the Texas Capitol in protest.

• Hook 'Em 2

It was the right outcome based on the law and the evidence.
It was a good outcome for whatever healing or change can come from this tragedy.
I keep waiting for a turning point.  At some point, if you are a cop, do you look at this and change your approach?  Do you say to yourself, "Hey, maybe I shouldn't shoot this guy because I could be charged with a crime."  Hasn't happened yet.  Maybe this is the moment.  I doubt it, but it could be.

Pretty much agree with all of this, but I really don’t want to believe the last few sentences. If no cop in the country has started saying that lately then I don’t think it’s ever going to happen

Police departments across the country will spend more on back the blue flags after this than they will on better training for their officers on how to properly subdue suspects.

Did you watch any of the trial? MPD threw him under the bus. They wanted to get as far away from him as possible. Hoping with every ounce of hope I have that other departments are going to take the same approach

28 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Most of those TexAgs posters would shit their pants if all cops went on strike for a week.  They'd quickly buy a shit-ton of groceries at Randall's or Krogers and then retreat to their cheap-ass subdivisions and call into their jobs that they had been exposed to covid and weren't feeling well and needed to be home for a week or two. They would spend the week posting on Nextdoor about exactly what race and religion the brown person two blocks away was, without actually asking what race or religion they were.

Also, those same fucking TexAgs posters were probably trashing the LEO who shot the fucking Qanon idiot at the Capitol on January 6th, who decided she would fuck around and find out with the security of Pence and the Representatives that were there.

And those same posters were probably trashing the DPS troopers who showed up when a bunch of the Qanon crowd decided they were going to open carry around the Texas Capitol in protest.

All the guys playing fake army could go play fake cop. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Ojo Rojo said:

It was the right outcome based on the law and the evidence.

It was a good outcome for whatever healing or change can come from this tragedy.

I keep waiting for a turning point.  At some point, if you are a cop, do you look at this and change your approach?  Do you say to yourself, "Hey, maybe I shouldn't shoot this guy because I could be charged with a crime."  Hasn't happened yet.  Maybe this is the moment.  I doubt it, but it could be.

Nope. The only reason he was convicted was because he crushed him to death for nearly 10 minutes while someone was recording. If he had used a gun, he wouldn't have even been charged. All cops learned today was to kill quickly, and to not just yell at people to stop filming, shoot them too and destroy their phones. 

• Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, Longhornstampede said:

Maxine Waters is disappointed she won't have to rationalize riots and looting and undeserved destruction of property and lives.

For which I am grateful

Good contribution. Well researched and thought out. Kudos.

53 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That line of thinking in a nutshell:

"There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

18 minutes ago, Foosters said:

That line of thinking in a nutshell:

"There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect."

That is the dominant line of thinking in our country, particularly among the folks who run shit.  Don't fool yourself into thinking we've even made a dent in it.  But maybe there's a scratch or two.  You gotta start somewhere.

While I don't think I'll exactly ever be *proud* to be a member of this board, I made the mistake of checking out the first couple of those TexAgs threads. Holy shit. Full on fascism is what most of those fellow Texans/Americans are advocating for, and it's disturbing.

Then, I got curious about what the initial response to the murder was on this board and looked it up. It served as a reminder that as much as we argue and disagree about shit, most of us can judge between basic right and wrong. To wit, I had to scroll through the first five pages before finding a single poster who kind of, sort of, came to the defense of cops in general, but he didn't try to defend this particular instance of an agent of the state murdering one of our fellow citizens.

This place may be a toilet for a bunch of assholes to shit in, but that one is a veritable sewage plant those hateful homunculi are splashing around in. And, yes, I am smelling our farts over here, and they give off a pleasant odor by comparison.

MArz.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I'm already a few drinks in.  Gonna be a painful day starting with that 8am meeting...

I know there's been posts here whining about rape culture in prison etc...I don't care if he gets raped or not.  Whatever hell awaits this POS, I'm celebrating it.  And fuck those defending him...even if that defense was veiled nicely in this thread.  There's some real POS around here, and that's coming from a Sooner.  Takes one to know one.  But back to the original point, those of you feeling the need to carry this asshole's water, here's a hearty FUCK YOU.  

The problem with the rape culture in prison ain't because guys like Chauvin may be getting NowThis'd. It's the fact that some innocent person or someone in for a bullshit low-level crime is being subjected to that.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Some of those that work forces, are the same that bear crosses

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sidis said:

Well I guess it's time to start making lists. I walk my neighborhood every day and I can still tell you where every Biden sign was. I'm betting I'm not alone. I'm guessing police protection would be nice if things really get spicy, but naw, it'll make em feel righteous and stuff.

I mean, who thinks like this?

19 minutes ago, Deej said:

The problem with the rape culture in prison ain't because guys like Chauvin may be getting NowThis'd. It's the fact that some innocent person or someone in for a bullshit low-level crime is being subjected to that.

I totally get that - I'm just saying don't crucify me for mentioning it in regards to Chauvin.  I'm trying to celebrate here.