Big Bend - Alpine - Marfa - Fort Davis

Planning a trip in April/May for a couple of middle-aged people wanting to relax and enjoy some quiet and nice views.  Looking for recommendations for sights, food and accommodations.
Thanks!
We booked a couple of places through here: https://www.bigbendvacations.com

They have a lot of properties and it avoids some of the AirBnB fees. We stayed at one of their Fossil Knob properties. It was quiet, good views. Downside was the road up is rough, the water is limited and the bathroom/shower is tiny. Still liked it.

Our favorite place from there was this one: https://www.bigbendvacations.com/terliguasky . Easy to get to, full kitchen, nice baths, etc. It's bigger than you need if you only have 2 people.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I really need to go back and spend more time in Marfa. We spent 2 days there as part of our New Mexico trip. Drive was brutal but Marfa was wonderful. Great food, friendly folks, great sites. Really need to buy some land down there and put in a tiny home as a getaway. 

• Hook 'Em 1

In Terlingua now. We were lucky to snag this new construction just when airbnb was taking reservations again. Nice view of the park from the front porch.

There's road construction at the west entrance to BB and the road to the Chisos Basin is closed 8-11am and 1-3pm. Plan accordingly. The book is out and I won't be coming back during spring break week. Too many fucking people. We got up at 6am to be at Lost Mines at 730 in the dark. Every parking spot full already. Otherwise a good time but LA Kiva is closed. The owners are apparently looking to sell.
971a7e58bccc279bf64f20e04c66451f.jpg313427468b6dd39436ef202534e35815.jpgdb2cc7b9db80a32c9a0ee81d5139cdbb.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Big bend hike recommendations please

looking for a longer one on Sunday; shorter one Monday morning 

Oh man, I need to get back to God's country. 

The Window Trail (if it's a "trail", can't remember) is good and easy. The only downside is that it's downhill starting out but uphill returning. 

Lost Mines Trail is good. Grapevine Hills (think that's what it's called) is really nice. Be careful climbing those rocks. 

Just ask a Ranger. Of course, be sure to hit up Santa Elena Canyon. 

Big Bend is one of the most beautiful places on earth. In my opinion. 

• Like 1

there are other hikes, just not up in the basin.

These are going to be at lower elevations, which means hotter and less or no shade, but there are still some fantastic hikes. Check the weather, its probably getting up into the 90s at least already this time of year. Nights are probably still cool if you are camping.

https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/desert_hikes.htm

you could also head over to the state park, go west on the river road from terlingua. The visitor center is on the left just before you get to lajitas.

Big bend hike recommendations please
looking for a longer one on Sunday; shorter one Monday morning 
See my post up above. We really enjoyed hiking the to Upper Burro Mesa Pouroff. Santa Elena is also cool to check out.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

With the Basin closed, check out Ernst Tinaja.  Short easy hike up a dry creek bed with some really cool rock formations.  Don't jump in the pool at the end... you won't get out.  Maybe a mile each way.  Near Boquillas, off Old Ore Rd (high clearance).

big-bend-ernst-tinaja-1.jpg

ernst-tinaja-charles-dobbs.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

With the Basin closed, check out Ernst Tinaja.  Short easy hike up a dry creek bed with some really cool rock formations.  Don't jump in the pool at the end... you won't get out.  Maybe a mile each way.  Near Boquillas, off Old Ore Rd (high clearance).

big-bend-ernst-tinaja-1.jpg

ernst-tinaja-charles-dobbs.jpg

This is a good spot.  Been there many times.  Great primitive campsite nearby. 

Oh man, I need to get back to God's country. 
The Window Trail (if it's a "trail", can't remember) is good and easy. The only downside is that it's downhill starting out but uphill returning. 
Lost Mines Trail is good. Grapevine Hills (think that's what it's called) is really nice. Be careful climbing those rocks. 
Just ask a Ranger. Of course, be sure to hit up Santa Elena Canyon. 
Big Bend is one of the most beautiful places on earth. In my opinion. 
Ditto on getting back.

And ditto on the recs.

I really need to hit The Chimneys and Tuft Canyon. I'm always passing by on the way in/out or on the way to Santa Elana. Really need to make a point to stop.

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, immamac said:

I'm in Marfa for a wedding now. I don't quite get it...

There's nothing to get.

Marfa is a hipster pretend "cool place".

When people from Alpine make fun of you, you've got problems.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great news, Balmorhea ready to re-open.    Such a great spot. 

Finally, it's time to swim with the fishes. But, um, in a good way.

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department on Monday announced that Balmorhea State Park's spring-fed swimming pool — said to be the largest in the world — will reopen to the public on June 26.

The pool and day use areas will be open from 8 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. or sunset, whichever comes first, according to the department. Limited day passes are now on sale and can be reserved up to 30 days in advance at tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/park-reservation-information/reservations

balmorhea-diver.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Great news, Balmorhea ready to re-open.    Such a great spot. 

Finally, it's time to swim with the fishes. But, um, in a good way.

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department on Monday announced that Balmorhea State Park's spring-fed swimming pool — said to be the largest in the world — will reopen to the public on June 26.

The pool and day use areas will be open from 8 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. or sunset, whichever comes first, according to the department. Limited day passes are now on sale and can be reserved up to 30 days in advance at tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/park-reservation-information/reservations

balmorhea-diver.jpg

have they opened up any of the new expansion?  does the public have access to any of the new land yet at all?

Thinking of making a first-ever trip to the McDonald Observatory this summer, but it looks like the Star Parties are basically sold out through late August.

They do have “Evening Sky Viewing” spots available, which seems to be the same thing minus the telescopes.

Any recommendations?  Are the Viewings worthwhile or should I just wait for Star Party slots to open up?

1 hour ago, Welch said:

Thinking of making a first-ever trip to the McDonald Observatory this summer, but it looks like the Star Parties are basically sold out through late August.

They do have “Evening Sky Viewing” spots available, which seems to be the same thing minus the telescopes.

Any recommendations?  Are the Viewings worthwhile or should I just wait for Star Party slots to open up?

Star Party is definitely worth it. Never done the viewings, but I’m sure it’s good if it’s at McDonald.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Welch said:

Are the Viewings worthwhile or should I just wait for Star Party slots to open up?

Why not both?  sign up for the star party at a date you think you can make, and do the viewing in the meantime.  there is no substitute for the star party.  you have to do it one of these days.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Went to one star party and it was great. My only advice would be don’t eat too many edibles and then try to drive down the mountain. Right, @sidis?

The problem with the 500 lb javelinas in fort Davis is that you won’t see them until you hit them. 

“slow down.”

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Welch said:

We went to a Sky Viewing/ Star Party a few weeks ago.  They were still in Covid protocols so we didnt actually get to look into the telescope, they just projected the telescope views onto a screen out on the patio.  

So call first to make sure you will get to look into an actual telescope lens.

The Sky Viewing alone was totally worth it. But the Star Party was basically watching what amounted to a powerpoint presentation of what the telescope was viewing was pretty lame.  We had also climbed Guadalupe Peak that morning so I was balls tired.  That might've added to my grumpiness about it.

Edited by smoky
  • Hook 'Em 2

Star party is pretty cool. Check the calendar for the stage of the moon though. If it’s full or nearly full, it lights up the sky and can really hamper visibility, to the point that the star party will focus on observing the moon. Not that that’s not cool, but something to be aware of.
  • Hook 'Em 1