Texas Women's Golf

LTtxfan

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

10.04.2021 | Women's Golf

No. 8 Women’s Golf in second after day one at Windy City Classic

Bo_Park_Windy_day_1.JPG?width=768&height

Bohyun Park

Freshman Bohyun Park holds the individual lead at 4-under-par as second-round play was suspended due to darkness.

WILMETTE, Ill. — The No. 8 Texas Women's Golf team is in second place after the opening day of the Windy City Classic at Westmoreland Country Club. Nine of the 15 teams competing in the tournament, including the Longhorns, had their second round suspended due to darkness on Monday evening.

Freshman Bohyun Park held the individual lead when play was suspended, as she stands at 4-under-par through 12 holes in her second round. Park has a two-stroke cushion over Rose Zhang of Stanford and Florida's Jackie Lucena, both at 2-under-par.

As a team, the Longhorns sat at 9-over-par when play was suspended, just two strokes behind No. 5 Stanford. The Cardinal completed 36 holes on Monday and carded a 7-over-par 583 (291-292). No. 10 Florida is in third at 16-over-par and was still on the course when play was suspended.

The 15-team field at the Windy City Classic includes nine squads that are ranked in the top 25 of the latest Division I WGCA Coaches poll (Sept. 17). The Windy City Classic will resume second-round play at 7:30 a.m. Central on Tuesday, Oct. 5. The third and final round will begin immediately following the end of the second round.

The Lineup

• Freshman Bohyun Park is the current individual leader at 4-under-par. Park fired a 4-under-par 68 during her opening round on Monday morning. After a bogey on the par-4 third hole, she responded with birdies on No. 7 (par-4), No. 8 (par-5), No. 10 (par-4), No. 11 (par-5) and No. 17 (par-3) to close out her first round with a one-stroke lead over Jackie Lucena of Florida (69). Park is even thru 12 holes on her second round.
  • Senior Sara Kouskova is tied for sixth in the individual standings at 2-over-par. She registered a 5-over-par 77 in her opening round but rebounded to stand at 3-under-par through her first 12 holes of her second round.
  • Sophomore Bentley Cotton is in 11th place in the individual standings at 4-over-par. Cotton carded a 1-over-par 73 in Monday's opening round and is 3-over-par through her first 15 holes of her second round.
  • Junior Sophie Guo is tied for 27th in the individual standings at 7-over-par. Guo registered a 6-over-par 78 in Monday's opening round and is 1-over-par through her first 15 holes of her second round.
  • Graduate transfer Brigitte Thibault is tied for 60th at 13-over-par. Thibault recorded a 6-over-par 78 in Monday's opening round and is 7-over-par through her first 15 holes of her second round

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

image.png.6da17925b88e2e5e2648558c3e1ec0d7.png

Sara Kouskova

04.22.2022 | Women's Golf

No. 13/14/15 Women’s Golf tied for second after opening round at Big 12 Championship

Four Longhorns are among the top-15 individuals, two in top-10, at conclusion of first round.

Round 1 Results (PDF)

https://texassports.com/documents/2022/4/22/Big_12_Round_1_Results.pdf

HOCKLEY, Texas. — The No. 13/14/15 Texas Women's Golf team shot a seven-over-par 291 on Friday and is tied for second after the opening round of the Big 12 Championship at The Clubs at Houston Oaks. Four Longhorns are currently among the top-15 individuals, led by senior Sara Kouskova who shot a team-best even-par 71 and is tied for fifth. Freshman Bohyun Park is 10th at one-over-par 72, while sophomore Bentley Cotton and Graduate Brigitte Thibault are both tied for 15th after registering three-over-par 74 on Friday.

Standing at one-over-par through six holes, Kouskova posted back-to-back birdies on holes seven and eight to put her at one-under-par for the round. She would go on to register two bogeys over the next seven holes, but the senior bounced-back going one-under-par on the final three holes of her round. Kouskova's round of 71 gives her a team-best 11 rounds at par or better on this season. It's her third career Big 12 Championship, having finished tied for second for the conference champion Longhorns squad as a freshman in 2019 and tied for 12th last year.

Playing in her first career Big 12 Championship, Park's round of 72 included an eight-hole stretch from holes seven to 14 in which she played two-under-par golf with no bogeys. She's currently in 10th-place in the individual standings heading into round two on Saturday. Cotton's round included three birdies (holes 1, 6 and 13), while Thibault made a pair of birdies on hole seven and 10 on the day.

In addition to the Longhorns (No. 13 in the latest WGCA Coaches Poll, released on April 15, 2022), the nine-team Big 12 Championship field includes: No. 6 Oklahoma State, No. 15 Baylor, No. 21 Texas Tech, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma and TCU.

No. 15 Baylor currently leads the team field after shooting a four-over-par-288 during the first round. No. 13 Texas and Iowa State are just three strokes back and tied for second place in the team standings following opening round scores of seven-over-par 291.

Four players shot under par on the day, including TCU's Caitlyn Macnab, who is the round-one leader in the individual standings at three-under-par 68. Addie Baggarly of Baylor is in second at two-under-par 69, while Oklahoma State's Lianna Bailey and Iowa State's Ruby Chou are tied for third individually at one-under-par 70. Kouskova is tied for fifth at even-par 71, three strokes behind the leader.

The Big-12 Conference Championship continues with 18 holes each on Saturday, April 23rd and Sunday, April 24th. Texas will be paired with No. 15 Baylor and Iowa State for Saturday's second round. Second round tee times begin at 8 a.m. CT, while Texas won't begin teeing off until 10 a.m. CT.

The Lineup

• Senior Sara Kouskova shot an even-par 71 to put her in a tie for fifth place in the individual standings. Kouskova led the team with four birdies (No. 1, par-4; No. 7 par-3; No. 8, par-5; No. 16, par-5) during the opening round.
  • Freshman Bohyun Park finished one stroke back of Kouskova at a one-over-par 72 and is in tenth place in the individual standings. Park registered three birdies (No. 5, par-3; No. 8, par-5; No. 11, par-5) on the day.
  • Sophomore Bentley Cotton fired a three-over-par 74 and is tied for 15th in the individual standings. Cotton also tallied three birdies (No. 1, par-4; No. 6, par-4; No. 13, par-3) on Friday.
  • Graduate Brigitte Thibault also posted a three-over-par 74 and is tied for 15th in the individual standings. Thibault recorded two birdies (No. 7, par-3; No. 10, par-4) during the first round.
  • Junior Sophie Guo carded an 11-over-par 82 and is in 42nd place in the individual standings. Guo posted one birdie (No. 3, par-4) during the opening round.

FCB

— The 13th-ranked Texas women’s golf team held off No. 6 Oklahoma State and No. 15 Baylor to claim the Big 12 Championship - the fourth Big 12 title in the last five league championship appearances for Texas women’s golf.

The Longhorns were led by freshman Bohyun “Bo” Park, who finished third individually at four over par; senior Sara Kouskova, who was sixth individually at five over par; and sophomore Bentley Cotton, who finished 11th individually at nine over par.

Texas had a 54-hole team total of 24-over-par, finishing three strokes ahead of No. 6 Oklahoma State and No. 15 Baylor, who were tied for second at 27-over-par at The Clubs at Houston Oaks.

Coach Ryan Murphy led the Longhorns to a UT-best three-straight Big 12 titles from 2017-19 before the 2020 event was cancelled due to Covid-19. Texas was fifth at last year's conference championship.

"Getting this championship is nice, obviously, but I'm also hopeful that this is a turning point, a spark that this team needs," Murphy said. "We are a great team and capable of some special things this postseason.”

Next up: The NCAA championship selection show on Wednesday at 3 pm CT on the Golf Channel, when the Longhorns will learn where they’ll play in the NCAA Regional Championship May 9-11.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

4:36 PM, MAY 10, 2022

Oregon continues to lead at Albuquerque Regional

Chacon_Briana_4_.jpg?itok=hciV0rAO

Oregon remains in front at the Albuquerque Regional, improving its lead to eight strokes ahead of Georgia.

The Ducks are 8-under, while Georgia moved into second after tying Oregon for the best team score of the day (-4). Two Ducks are in the top four individually, led by Briana Chacon (-10). That's three shots ahead of Georgia's Jenny Bae (-7). Chacon and Bae were two of five to go under 70 for the round, with all five finishing with a 3-under 69.

albuquerque-regional.png?itok=eQsbxdRu

On 5/20/2022 at 9:06 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

Finished the day in 19th place out of 24 teams. Have a lot of ground to make up as only top 8 advance to the knockouts

Up to 11th. I thought it gets cut to 15 after tomorrow, then top 8 after Sunday for match play 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Welp; absolutely cratered today. +37 currently and down 11 spots 

A lot of the field had a rough day.  Although ours was the worst so far.  Gotta hope for a bunch of teams to melt down.  So probably curtains. 

edit the home team ASU did a stroke worse. 

Edited by ClubWhatever

32 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Just need a good round the way thing are playing. No telling what type of scores other teams put up. 

Agreed.  Good team scoring in 1 round can make up 13 strokes -- just need a good day!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Evian is a major on the LPGA...  "Schubert, who started the final round four off the lead, almost won in just her second major as a professional. Playing her first year on the LPGA Tour, she hadn't had a top-10 finish before this week."

schubert_sophia_wgolf_0139_jpg_1_.jpg

Sophia Schubert in tears – happy tears – after breakthrough Evian runner-up 

By:  Brentley Romine - Yesterday 

Sophia Schubert didn’t waste much time telling reporters how she felt.

“You know, I want to cry,” she said just moments after missing out on a career-changing major victory Sunday at the Amundi Evian Championship, which Brooke Henderson won by sinking a 12-footer for birdie on the final hole to finish at 17 under, a shot clear of Schubert.

But make no mistake, Schubert wasn’t sad.

“I want to cry tears of happiness,” Schubert said after her breakthrough runner-up finish. “I'm proud of myself, proud of everyone that's helped me get to this point. It came just short, but I know that I'll be back, so I'm really happy.”

Schubert’s professional journey has seen few of these happy moments since the former Texas standout graduated in 2018, a year after winning the U.S. Women’s Amateur. She earned her Epson Tour card later that year at Q-School, but in two seasons she amassed just over $28,000 in prize money.

“Between a worldwide pandemic and sporadic confidence highs and lows, it was hard to find my groove,” Schubert wrote for LPGA.com at the start of this season.

In 2020, Schubert appeared to be thinking about life after competitive golf, as she accepted an opportunity to work for Golf Channel at the U.S. Women’s Amateur. Schubert credits that experience, however, for rejuvenating her game.

“Karen [Stupples] reminded me that it’s ‘just golf,’ the same golf I’ve been playing my whole life,” Schubert explained. “It was important for me to hear that. Observing and commentating on the game was different. It made me become much more specific with my own thought processes and shot choices. Never would I have guessed that this opportunity would propel my own game. But it did.”

Schubert won on the Epson Tour in 2021 and parlayed that into an LPGA card. Though she posted no top-10s in 11 starts entering the Evian, Schubert didn’t lose trust. "I have a lot of support back home," Schubert said, "and they've been telling me over and over again, 'You can do this. Just be confident.'"

She also adjusted the lofts and lies on her clubs recently, a move that straightened out her ball-striking and gave her the confidence to go toe to toe with the LPGA’s best.

On Sunday, Schubert carded just one bogey – she had just two, plus two doubles, all week – and played clean golf down the stretch to secure what appeared to be a spot in a playoff. Schubert had missed a short birdie putt at the par-5 18th, but a group behind her, Henderson snap-hooked her drive and look to be making par at best.

“I was kind of nervous all day, a little more than yesterday, and Brittany just kept saying, ‘Hey, just take a deep breath. It's OK. Just keep doing what you're doing,’” Schubert said. “I think the last few holes coming in actually I just had the sense of like peace, so I just hit every shot and kept going.”

Henderson ended up recovering, sinking the winning birdie putt and ending Schubert’s hope for a playoff or outright win.

But Schubert, who was barely ranked inside the top 300 of the Rolex Rankings and had never cracked the top 50 in a major championship before this week, was happy to just have had the chance.

“It was something that I always wanted,” Schubert said of contending for a major title. “I knew I could get there. There was a little bit of doubt, but I mean, I couldn't be with better company.”

If Sunday was glimpse at what lies ahead for Schubert, she'll find herself with that company again.