2021 Body Transformation Thread

troph

Not sure if this is the thread for intermittent fasting from alcohol. Day 3 of 30 after at least 9 months of every day. But I did this last year too and it was fantastic.  The hard part is about to start though. I think I’ve gone through 3 dozen La Croix this weekend. Need a place to vent share mocktail ideas or count empty sparkling water cans together.

Need to drop 25 lbs and am off carbs after the holidays but I’m already working out 3x a week via tennis. We’ve got a peloton knock off on the way and I’m itching for some cross training again.  Hoping to get back to 6 days a week of at least an hour each time by February or March.  Need to fight off the middle aged blues.

the thing about working from home is food is always there. It’s not bad choices it’s too much of anything.  At the office I had very little available.  I gained weight eating healthy snacks amd crap but every day all day. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, troph said:

Not sure if this is the thread for intermittent fasting from alcohol. Day 3 of 30 after at least 9 months of every day. But I did this last year too and it was fantastic.  The hard part is about to start though. I think I’ve gone through 3 dozen La Croix this weekend. Need a place to vent share mocktail ideas or count empty sparkling water cans together.

Need to drop 25 lbs and am off carbs after the holidays but I’m already working out 3x a week via tennis. We’ve got a peloton knock off on the way and I’m itching for some cross training again.  Hoping to get back to 6 days a week of at least an hour each time by February or March.  Need to fight off the middle aged blues.

the thing about working from home is food is always there. It’s not bad choices it’s too much of anything.  At the office I had very little available.  I gained weight eating healthy snacks amd crap but every day all day. 

I chew gum and carrots basically all night when I'm at home so I don't snack. I actually had to get rid of everything in my house, except fruit and veggies and HUEL Powder. If I get sick of them, I'll go get a real meal or meet friends out every couple weeks. But when you starve yourself, a banana tastes like a vanilla milkshake, so it' great. That's easy for me because I live alone. And the sugar free gum thing can mess up your stomach temporarily, so be careful there. 

I bring up the sugar free gum, because I have a lot of sugar cravings from dropping booze, so depending how much you were drinking, you might get some of those sugar cravings too. 

Fasting cardio and lowering carbs will help a ton, but it really just comes down to willpower with food. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Those fucking things are the devil. I can't have them around. 

Am I missing something?  I have one of each per day max. But I also don’t eat much else. Yesterday I had an extra meal - I had a protein/mct oil/extra protein powder shake, two eggs and two bacon and a small stir fry plus the Atkins one of each.  Drank only water. Total calories yesterday - 1500-1600 calories.  That’s at worst a break even day.  Add exercise and it’s a weight loss day for sure.

Today I’ll do something less will likely skip the eggs and add an orange before work out (I can’t do no sugar on work out days) and add some cashews for a snack. Dinner appears to be a kale salad no meat so that calorie count should be lower too. Bet I hit 1300 before netting out exercise and including Atkins sweets.

Edited by troph

On 8/13/2020 at 8:37 AM, pearlandhorn said:

If she won’t buy the healthy stuff at the grocery store, do the shopping yourself. Only you can help your situation.

I wish more people would see that it goes down hill fast if you ignore your health when 65 hits.  Look at anyone reasonably healthy into their 80s - almost none are grossly overweight. A few extra pounds sure. And those that are healthy at that age and carry extra weight are usually women with a body type that lets them carry it well (not a ton of excess abdomen weight).

• Like 1

The other thing that makes low carb easier than it used to be is the mood impact. Man if I don’t fall in a hole of depression on carbs. The connection is crazy.  It’s actually easier for me to get motivated for low carb for my mood more than my weight.  Two days off carbs and things start to turn around - energy level bounces back and my outlook on life improves. Gut health, who woulda thought?

Here we go again. Day 2 of Dry January (gave myself the weekend) and made it back to the gym this morning for first time in about 3 weeks.

Stepped on scale at 202 this morning which was actually 10lbs less than I expected to see based on how my clothes are fitting and pictures I saw over the holidays. 

Goal is same as it was last year before getting derailed. Would like to get back near 185 by my bday in March.  Aiming to hit gym at least 4 times a week + long bike rides and dog walks when feasible. Lazy keto. 

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Please rate and my make recommendations to my diet. I’m three days in. 

Breakfast - organic boiled eggs. I only eat half of one yolk. 

Lunch - organic tomatoes, spinach, and ground turkey/chicken “scramble”. I cook all of it in a skillet. 

Dinner - organic spring mix, grilled chicken tender. I like Tessamae’s organic dressings. 

Snacks : organic blackberries, blueberries, raspberries. 

I’ve cut the following : Beer, dairy, red meat, bread, and processed food. I stopped drinking coffee because I like milk in it.

I will continue to drink bourbon neat as I fear I might die if I give this up. 

Goal: I’m trying to drop some pounds before I go back to work. Just want to be able to fit into my existing clothes. I have about 4-5 weeks. 

I haven’t felt hungry, but I had headaches the past two day. 

17 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Lunch - organic tomatoes, spinach, and ground turkey/chicken “scramble”. I cook all of it in a skillet. 

Dinner - organic spring mix, grilled chicken tender. I like Tessamae’s organic dressings. 

I’ve cut the following : Beer, dairy, red meat, bread, and processed food. I stopped drinking coffee because I like milk in it.

Goal: I’m trying to drop some pounds before I go back to work. Just want to be able to fit into my existing clothes. I have about 4-5 weeks. 

Are you exercising?  What's wrong with red meat?  Worried about cholesterol?

22 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Are you exercising?  What's wrong with red meat?  Worried about cholesterol?

I am exercising. 45 minutes on the Peloton and then 10 minutes of strength training during the week. Yoga/pilates on the weekends. 

Regarding red meat, I'm trying to pull out all the stops to drop some weight. I don't know if this misguided or not. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I am exercising. 45 minutes on the Peloton and then 10 minutes of strength training during the week. Yoga/pilates on the weekends. 

Regarding red meat, I'm trying to pull out all the stops to drop some weight. I don't know if this misguided or not. 

Depends on how lean of red meat you're eating.  Chuck 80/20? Pass.  Filet or NY Strip?  All day long.

Just stick to meat (chicken, turkey, lean beef or wild game) and eat green veggies.  Cut out the snacking.  If you're trying to do low carb, cut out the berries/fruit and eat peanuts/almonds if you have to have a snack.  You'd be surprised at how much weight you can lose quickly if you cut out snacking and stopped eating fruits.  Fruits have sugar (even though it's unprocessed) and have a shitton of carbs.

Also, don't drink calories.  Sparkling water, water, black coffee, zero calorie powerade/gatorade.

Edited by pearlandhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Have your tried IF. I use 20/4 and am down 7lbs since the first.  Maybe try 18/6 and skip breffis 

Funny thing I've noticed is that I'm know able to go 22/2 with no problems. I wonder if my body is adapting.  I'm surprised how much I need to eat when I'm focused on it. 

I drink a ton of tea and water tho.

I picked up a TRX after Xmas and it's been great.  

Depends on how lean of red meat you're eating.  Chuck 80/20? Pass.  Filet or NY Strip?  All day long.
Just stick to meat (chicken, turkey, lean beef or wild game) and eat green veggies.  Cut out the snacking.  If you're trying to do low carb, cut out the berries/fruit and eat peanuts/almonds if you have to have a snack.  You'd be surprised at how much weight you can lose quickly if you cut out snacking and stopped eating fruits.  Fruits have sugar (even though it's unprocessed) and have a shitton of carbs.
Also, don't drink calories.  Sparkling water, water, black coffee, zero calorie powerade/gatorade.

If you're going to eat nuts stick to macadamia, Brazil, and maybe walnuts. Peanuts and almonds have a lot of carbs. Also stay away from the artificial sweetener stuff. There's no calories but otherwise your body/liver don't know they difference and acts like it's real sugar.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Is that a diet you want to stick to for a long period of time or just to drop some quick weight? I couldn’t be that strict for more than a couple weeks. 

I’ve kept 65 lbs off now for about 3.5 years and it’s all because of simplicity really. I eat the same thing for breakfast (banana) and lunch (cup of oatmeal, apple, 2 hb eggs) every day and then the same 5 or 6 things for dinner (chicken, fish, pork, small steak, wheat pasta). I snack on fruit and trail mix. Saturday night I’ll cheat and I never really worry much about booze but I only drink once or twice a week at this point. 

Some of you should try keto. Weight melts off you once you get into the flow of it. The toughest part of it is actually eating enough fat but once you learn a few tricks, it's not too bad. And most people can't or don't want to stay with keto forever so switch to a maintenance plan after you drop the weight. With Keto I lost about 20 lbs in something like 45 or 50 days.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Is that a diet you want to stick to for a long period of time or just to drop some quick weight? I couldn’t be that strict for more than a couple weeks. 

I’ve kept 65 lbs off now for about 3.5 years and it’s all because of simplicity really. I eat the same thing for breakfast (banana) and lunch (cup of oatmeal, apple, 2 hb eggs) every day and then the same 5 or 6 things for dinner (chicken, fish, pork, small steak, wheat pasta). I snack on fruit and trail mix. Saturday night I’ll cheat and I never really worry much about booze but I only drink once or twice a week at this point. 

I’m trying to drop some weight and get back to baseline where I can make healthy choices with an occasional cheat meal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m on meal replacement shakes and sensible dinners. I was down to 198, then climbed back to 230 eating likes crap. I’m currently back down to 225. I’m also lifting 5 days a week in the afternoons and some cardio and “bro-yoga” (15 - 20 min total) in the morning. I’m feeling much better this time around and have a goal of 195 or so.

• 4 weeks later...

2021 update. 

0A5A8EFC-717F-49A3-8AA1-D8FCF346DEA6.jpeg.5dcf450058a81673afbd848b7f739254.jpeg

I’ve gone from a DT to almost a DE. My first goal is only 6 lbs away. I have been eating sub 2000 calories with trying for macros of 40c/30p/30f. 

i have walked every day this year at least 10,000 steps with all days in February above 15,000. 

10F33939-A04F-4611-A972-133F766670F2.jpeg.4ae67b5f4a2b1b75661ae82f47201cb6.jpeg

I’ve also been hitting the gym 4-6 times a week (hard to really say exact because I go after midnight half the time). 

it’s hard work, but I’m feeling great. 

C7F4FB1C-D1EA-4008-9FE9-49966B2289B7.png

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve hit a plateau and it really sucks. I have been under 1500 calories most days and have been hitting the gym 4-5 times a week. 

2CC87632-734C-497E-BB61-1435B2E029B5.jpeg.ccfd9f51cf4aa3cc323182bfd2769cf4.jpegI’m not sure of what my next step is. I’m thinking of going to 1200 calories and increasing walk distance to 20k steps a day. 

9625A040-2DC3-484A-8380-16866B5A2D38.thumb.jpeg.0773d9065d9808203499b9080c33890f.jpeg

20k just takes a shit ton of time. I’ve been at 15k for over a month. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/8/2021 at 8:10 PM, Fastbreak said:

I’ve hit a plateau and it really sucks. I have been under 1500 calories most days and have been hitting the gym 4-5 times a week. 

I’m not sure of what my next step is. I’m thinking of going to 1200 calories and increasing walk distance to 20k steps a day. 

Definitely no expert on this, but I'm shocked that at your weight and activity level that you aren't still losing relatively rapidly at 1500 calories per day.  How are you getting your calories.  Can you post a representative sample of of a few days of what you eat and drink?

Definitely no expert on this, but I'm shocked that at your weight and activity level that you aren't still losing relatively rapidly at 1500 calories per day.  How are you getting your calories.  Can you post a representative sample of of a few days of what you eat and drink?

This. I need about 2200 calories per day to maintain my weight. That’s at my current weight of 176 and with my exercise routine.

On 3/8/2021 at 8:10 PM, Fastbreak said:

I’m not sure of what my next step is. I’m thinking of going to 1200 calories and increasing walk distance to 20k steps a day.

First - congrats our your progress so far, but I wouldn't go under 1500 calories, that might be too low already. Something else needs to change, but lower calories isn't the answer.  Sometimes the body just hits a wall and might take a few weeks to reset and start up again. I'd definitely take a couple weeks off from weighing yourself and focus on other signs of process such as cardio time or weights lifted or steps taken etc. You could just be shifting to some muscle which makes you look and feel a lot better everywhere but the scale.

• Hook 'Em 1

2CC87632-734C-497E-BB61-1435B2E029B5.jpeg.ccfd9f51cf4aa3cc323182bfd2769cf4.jpegI’m not sure of what my next step is. I’m thinking of going to 1200 calories and increasing walk distance to 20k steps a day. 

9625A040-2DC3-484A-8380-16866B5A2D38.thumb.jpeg.0773d9065d9808203499b9080c33890f.jpeg
Change up your workout. Looks like you're doing lotsa cardio? Swap 2-3 days out for weights. And/or swap walking for the bike or stair climber.

Your calories are plenty low. Take a look at what you're actually eating. Are you getting enough nutrients? Are you shortchanging yourself on veggies or protein or anything. Might need to actually add some call.

I didn’t drink for about 10 days before rodeo peer pressure got the best of me. I’m only drinking once or twice a week now and I feel a lot better. I’ve all but sworn off beer. I’m going through metric tons of HEB sparkling water. 

I had to tweak my diet after developing a strong distaste for spinach. 

Breakfast : 3 boiled eggs with Mrs Dash

Lunch: 3 scrambled eggs with salsa

Dinner: grilled chicken breasts/thighs, grilled onions and peppers, grilled green beans/asparagus/shaved brussel sprouts. 

Snack: celery with regular hummus, raw walnuts, and blackberries. 

I also had to tweak my workout routine. I’m on a 10 day streak of Peloton yoga. 45 minute beginner classes. 

I’m 40 days in on working out everyday and eating right. I don’t weigh myself, but my clothes seem to fit much better. I might just keep it up. I have a big party at the end of the month, and my wife wants to go visit family in June. I don’t crave much, but damn, the new Pizza Hut Detroit style looks good. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Started Monday after Superbowl.  Weighed 262.

Hardcore keto diet.  No additional exercise(yet)

weighed last night for first time. 242.

Goal is 200, and then maintain/incorporate exercise regimen.

I have never tried the paleo.  I have used keto because it is very, very simple to execute and has been extremely effective in shedding pounds for me.  It is not because of any particular affinity or favor on my part, beyond the results. 

Once I get down to 200, I’m going to be adjusting to something a little more moderate and tuned towards maintenance, as opposed to straight up weight loss. 

I didn’t lift weights for a year. To stay in shape and keep my weight down during Covid, I really buckled down on my food intake and started running.

I’m running a 5k in may and my wife is running the 15k. I got up to running about 4 miles 4 or 5 times a week but kind of got worn out from it around Christmas then got rona January 15.  I’ve started going back to the gym last month and have hit my pre-Covid squat max after starting back at 135. I hit 205x6 today and it felt good. My squat used to be less than my bench. Bench is coming along nicely post rona as well. I’ve increased my protein intake and can already see definition coming in to my legs, chest, shoulders, and arms.

I’m coming up on 3 years of living a healthier lifestyle and have been under 190 for 2 years now. 130 pounds down, 34 waist, 187 pounds. 

Goals for the next 6 months: bench 225x5, squat 255x5, 193 pounds (gain one pound per month), stay lean.

Good job everyone, keep up the good work.

• Hook 'Em 3

55 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

I didn’t lift weights for a year. To stay in shape and keep my weight down during Covid, I really buckled down on my food intake and started running.

I’m running a 5k in may and my wife is running the 15k. I got up to running about 4 miles 4 or 5 times a week but kind of got worn out from it around Christmas then got rona January 15.  I’ve started going back to the gym last month and have hit my pre-Covid squat max after starting back at 135. I hit 205x6 today and it felt good. My squat used to be less than my bench. Bench is coming along nicely post rona as well. I’ve increased my protein intake and can already see definition coming in to my legs, chest, shoulders, and arms.

I’m coming up on 3 years of living a healthier lifestyle and have been under 190 for 2 years now. 130 pounds down, 34 waist, 187 pounds. 

Goals for the next 6 months: bench 225x5, squat 255x5, 193 pounds (gain one pound per month), stay lean.

Good job everyone, keep up the good work.

Keep up the great work

I’m in a bulk started at 205 up to 210 looking to get to 220 over a 20 week cycle. I weigh first thing in the morning.  Do a 6 day a week PPL program plus Jiu Jitsu for cardio. No longer train for pure strength just hypertrophy. My estrogen is running a little high so I am holding a little water. 

My macros daily are 

4100 calories give or take 

450 grams carbs  50%

375 grams protein  40%

60 grams fat 10%

27 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Yea. I do lots of volume. Medium weight. 12 to 15 reps 8 to 10 exercises 3 to 4 sets. 

I lead every workout with a main lift (squat, bench, barbell row) that are low volume high weight.  Typically around the 6-8 rep range, 6 sets progressing upwards and two sets at the max weight.  Then I'll fill in with ancillary exercises that incorporate push/pull/legs.  I also do shoulder work on leg days and will typically do at least one exercise of shoulders every day at the gym.  Also work in another arm exercise or two on a push or leg day.

I deadlifted for a while about 2 years ago. I actually haven’t deadlifted since. Fear of injury and not having proper form are big factors in that decision. I can hit all of the muscles that deadlifts hit with other exercises. Granted, it takes a bit longer, but I’ll do that rather than risking injury to my back.  Bent over row is the main variant for barbell row for me.

Edited by pearlandhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Gotten pretty soft over the past year of working remotely/social distancing. Takeout is too goddamn easy. Try to exercise at home and run but it’s been hit or miss, especially with regard to strength training.

My weight hasn’t moved much but I know I’m not carrying it as well. Probably won’t post much but I’m following this thread in spirit. Good luck all.