2021 Body Transformation Thread

troph

29 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

You see lots of people in the gym everyday doing cardio & some weight training but seem to never change their body composition.

That was me for about 3 years.  Crushing the elliptical for an hour, eating low fat, and no body changes.  I had a subconscious moment of clarity.

You lose weight at the table.  Exercise gets you fit but one thing that calories in/caloriesout bro won't consider is that body hormones regulate weight.  Aim to get the A1C as low as possible. Consider the glycemic load of every single thing you put in your mouth.

I literally lost 65 lbs with zero gym visits, living on ribeyes, asparagus, fajitas, butter. . .and my bloodwork improved dramatically.

Gym is important, but weight loss WITHOUT FEELING HUNGRY or DIETING is easy.

• Hook 'Em 2

This may be more appropriate for one of the DT COVID threads, but any of you back in the gym? I’m fully vaccinated but don’t feel quite ready, though I’d like to get back soon. A trainer friend gave me some dumb bells when the pandemic hit last March, and with those I’ve been able to maintain some lean muscle mass but have lost a little bulk. A fuller weight routine with all the resources of a gym would help, but I also think getting back into my early morning gym routine would be good for psyche.
I have since June. It's all about the risks your willing to take. Some take more, some take less. No judgement
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Parliament said:
7 hours ago, South Austin said:
This may be more appropriate for one of the DT COVID threads, but any of you back in the gym? I’m fully vaccinated but don’t feel quite ready, though I’d like to get back soon. A trainer friend gave me some dumb bells when the pandemic hit last March, and with those I’ve been able to maintain some lean muscle mass but have lost a little bulk. A fuller weight routine with all the resources of a gym would help, but I also think getting back into my early morning gym routine would be good for psyche.

I have since June. It's all about the risks your willing to take. Some take more, some take less. No judgement

Except for the way you spell “judgment.”

7 hours ago, South Austin said:

Went back to the gym in September.  Bouldering gym but they have all of the usual stuff in the weight room.  Waiver, temperature check, appointment only (for capacity), two hour time slots, and masks.

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Went back to the gym in September.  Bouldering gym but they have all of the usual stuff in the weight room.  Waiver, temperature check, appointment only (for capacity), two hour time slots, and masks.

Man that sounds fantastic. How much is something like that a month?

35 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Man that sounds fantastic. How much is something like that a month?

Not sure for just a one off, but they have this deal where it gets cheaper the more family members you have. After 2 family members its like  $40.00 +tax.  I think we get a kids discount on their membership too.

Only works because my kids climb competitively, so we make kind of a family deal out of it, so my wife and I climb too, go to yoga, fitness classes etc..

However, my wife and I are both injured right now and I choose to do my rehab at home or at the office and just walk while they are at practice along with my wife.

The gym is the Austin Bouldering Project over on Springdale.  Its a nice walk around there with a bunch of gentrification and plenty of brew pubs/breweries etc., god help us.

Walking gets old, so I am rehabbing and losing weight like a mofo.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, bullzak said:

If you're going low carb no reason to go out of your way to avoid fat. Ribeye

On keto, the fat intake matters. Some people can never mentally make that allowance for the fat, and the process depends upon the very thing they are avoiding. 

it does not seem rational, but that’s how it works.

I think it was @Errestaurants that said weight loss is 75% nutrition and 25% exercise. I’d argue that it’s more like 90/10 even.

Body composition will change with the 10% over time. The key is consistency. The key to weight loss, and keeping it off, is consistency in your nutrition. For people not running gear (test, tren), bulking is an absolutely horrible idea. The human body isn’t meant to gain 25-30 pounds in 3 months time. You will reach a physiological limit on how much strength you can gain. And those extra calories become love handles and you’ll get fat. Then you’ll “cut” before you peak your strength goals and lose even more strength. The best thing I can imagine to do would be some type of “lean bulk” where you’re increasing your calories to 10% more than your TDEE. Very very slow weight gain that would allow you to progress in the gym and further your body composition goals. 

Throw all that out the window if you’re running gear though. Your waist will shrink, muscle will build, and you will become Hulk. Eat a shit ton of protein and clean carbs and you’ll be Zeus.

Update: Squat has gone to 215x5 and bench is 175x5. Slowly getting back in to form.

@South Austin I got back in to the gym about 1.5 months ago after recovering from rona. My thought is that most of the people up there aren’t wearing masks have had it anyway. If you’re vaccinated, wear a mask and go about your business. It’s more of a mind game honestly. I had a mental block where I was a bit uncomfortable but it goes away with time. I’m going 6 days a week at this point and don’t plan on stopping.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

I think it was @Errestaurants that said weight loss is 75% nutrition and 25% exercise. I’d argue that it’s more like 90/10 even.

Body composition will change with the 10% over time. The key is consistency. The key to weight loss, and keeping it off, is consistency in your nutrition. For people not running gear (test, tren), bulking is an absolutely horrible idea. The human body isn’t meant to gain 25-30 pounds in 3 months time. You will reach a physiological limit on how much strength you can gain. And those extra calories become love handles and you’ll get fat. Then you’ll “cut” before you peak your strength goals and lose even more strength. The best thing I can imagine to do would be some type of “lean bulk” where you’re increasing your calories to 10% more than your TDEE. Very very slow weight gain that would allow you to progress in the gym and further your body composition goals. 

Throw all that out the window if you’re running gear though. Your waist will shrink, muscle will build, and you will become Hulk. Eat a shit ton of protein and clean carbs and you’ll be Zeus.

Update: Squat has gone to 215x5 and bench is 175x5. Slowly getting back in to form.

@South Austin I got back in to the gym about 1.5 months ago after recovering from rona. My thought is that most of the people up there aren’t wearing masks have had it anyway. If you’re vaccinated, wear a mask and go about your business. It’s more of a mind game honestly. I had a mental block where I was a bit uncomfortable but it goes away with time. I’m going 6 days a week at this point and don’t plan on stopping.

I agree with you brother on the 90/10. Speaking of gear got my bloods back this morning and I crashed my estrogen. Backing off arimidex by .5 tab. Also needing to donate blood again. Hematocrit came in at 53. Just donated 2 weeks ago. 

Whats interesting about the Super low Estrogen is I don't feel lethargic or having ED issues. Ended my Dbol and just on Test & Npp at this point. Over 1 gram combined. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Could y'all elaborate on Surly approved lean red meat? 

My ideas:

Beef : Filet mignon, New York Strip, Sirloin 

Lamb: Chops, shank 

Bison 

Pork : Pork chops, tenderloin 

All grilled of course. 

I'll eat any and all meat, but I try to go with bison most of the time for red meat.  I think it tastes a bit better and it generally has better protein/calorie numbers than beef. 

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Two months in eating properly and exercising everyday.  I really wouldn’t call it a diet. I’m definitely noticing results. 

I miss my old friends at Whataburger, McDonald’s breakfast, Blaze Pizza, and Jersey Mike’s, but I’m staying disciplined. 

Nice job.  Consistency is key.

On 3/26/2021 at 10:26 AM, pearlandhorn said:

Agree with all this.

I’ve always been a hardgainer. With mostly modesty (but some vanity), I can say that since I went back to the gym right around 40 years old I’ve gained a nice set of lean muscles, and at 46 I look damn good without a shirt, much better than I did in my 30s. Which is good, because when my ex-wife drop-kicked me into the open market at 44, at least I was in great shape heading into the dating pool. 

But I’ll never have a bulk physic — not without modern science, at least — or bench more than about 225. In my first three months after hitting the weights I put on about 25 pounds, and have never really gained much more.

And as @pearlandhorn said, my key has been a consistent diet. I don’t stick to any particular diet like Keto or Paleo. I just eyeball high protein (including a mixture of whey and plant-based supplements), high fat, low and well-timed carbs, lots of vegetables, avoid sugars and junk food, and a cheat meal once or twice a week. My main vice is alcohol, but I keep it in moderation, with an occasional dinner-party drunk fest.  On those occasions when I give up alcohol for dry January or Lent (which I haven’t done in a while), holy shit I can get shredded.

So yes, your physic is formed largely in the kitchen, not the weight room. 

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Agree with all this.

I’ve always been a hardgainer. With mostly modesty (but some vanity), I can say that since I went back to the gym right around 40 years old I’ve gained a nice set of lean muscles, and at 46 I look damn good without a shirt, much better than I did in my 30s. Which is good, because when my ex-wife drop-kicked me into the open market at 44, at least I was in great shape heading into the dating pool. 

But I’ll never have a bulk physic — not without modern science, at least — or bench more than about 225. In my first three months after hitting the weights I put on about 25 pounds, and have never really gained much more.

And as @pearlandhorn said, my key has been a consistent diet. I don’t stick to any particular diet like Keto or Paleo. I just eyeball high protein (including a mixture of whey and plant-based supplements), high fat, low and well-timed carbs, lots of vegetables, avoid sugars and junk food, and a cheat meal once or twice a week. My main vice is alcohol, but I keep it in moderation, with an occasional dinner-party drunk fest.  On those occasions when I give up alcohol for dry January or Lent (which I haven’t done in a while), holy shit I can get shredded.

So yes, your physic is formed largely in the kitchen, not the weight room. 

I couldn’t agree more. My goal is to be as lean as possible while being as strong as possible. Putting in to the navy method calculator, I’m 16% body fat. That’s what I figured it would be.

I don’t really have much weight to lose at this point (185 or so) at 6’2” so very slow weight gain is necessary to continue to progress at the gym and get stronger.

On 3/29/2021 at 12:03 AM, Modessit said:

Is this the fat bastard anonymous thread?

I got tired of being fat and lazy and found I was 350lbs on Xmas Day (6'1", 52yo). Decided keto might be the thing for me. Did some research and started on Jan 1st. I'm currently 295. If I can keep the same rate of loss I would be down to 210 before the next Xmas. Then I'll decide if I want to try to get down to the 180s.

I've also gone down 3 pants sizes already and am about to go down another.

No fat bastards on this thread, everybody is already shredded and yoked and just trying to lose penis weight.

On 3/29/2021 at 12:03 AM, Modessit said:

Is this the fat bastard anonymous thread?

I got tired of being fat and lazy and found I was 350lbs on Xmas Day (6'1", 52yo). Decided keto might be the thing for me. Did some research and started on Jan 1st. I'm currently 295. If I can keep the same rate of loss I would be down to 210 before the next Xmas. Then I'll decide if I want to try to get down to the 180s.

I've also gone down 3 pants sizes already and am about to go down another.

Nice work!

doing keto and just seeing the results first hand will change your outlook on food going forward whether you stay on keto or not.  i did it for ~7 months to get down to actually below my target weight, then eased off keto and started adding things back in that I missed eating.  But it sticks in your mind that eating stuff like hamburger buns, pasta, pastries, candy etc... 2x a day was the cause of all the weight gain to begin with.  makes it easier to avoid and easier to look for alternatives and substitutes for those things.  or just eat them way less often.  i'm still hovering just under 220 (6'7'') about 1.5 years off keto; about 10lbs above my lowest weight.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sugar cravings hit last night and I ate a dozen or so little butter cookies.  I've tried to eliminate sugar cravings by removing artificially sweetened foods/drinks from my diet (like coke zero and keto snacks).  I just started adding a few strawberries and blackberries daily and I'm afraid they triggered the sugar craving.  I'm going to cut those out for a while.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/30/2021 at 4:25 PM, Jerry Callo said:

Sugar cravings hit last night and I ate a dozen or so little butter cookies.  I've tried to eliminate sugar cravings by removing artificially sweetened foods/drinks from my diet (like coke zero and keto snacks).  I just started adding a few strawberries and blackberries daily and I'm afraid they triggered the sugar craving.  I'm going to cut those out for a while.

that's what gets me.  my brain has chocolate receptors and holds back the serotonin until it's demands are met.  I am not proud of eating an entire chocolate pie on Sunday, but it was damn good.

• Hook 'Em 1

Canned whipped cream.

No, I'm not huffing it.  LOL.  Might do a shot of it every 2nd or 3rd evening after dinner when I want something "desserty."  It's actually not a risk to ketosis if you do it this way. Now of course, if you do the whole can to go with Gyro's pie, well, then you're gonna be in bad shape real quicklike...

Don’t know what it is but a honeycrisp apple satisfies my sweet tooth. I know it’s not Keto but apples are great for you when watching your fat intake.

My wife is training for a 15k in may and is attempting to adopt my OMAD lifestyle. She gained probably 10 pounds during COVID (mainly went to her ass - no pics you dirty assholes) and wants to get back to the 130s. Anywho, you can tell around 4:30 in the afternoon that she starts getting irritated at every single thing. I tell her to eat something and she just glares at me. Like clockwork, I then here “not everyone can eat once a day like you!”. I laugh and tell her that OMAD isn’t for everyone. It really isn’t. It’s tough, but it’s definitely the easiest option for me when trying to keep bad weight off and have a very very slow weight gain.

• Hook 'Em 1

My wife started keto today. Agreed to try one month to see. She's big into bread, chocolate, etc so we're finding subs. She started at 127 lbs this morning and is hoping for 110 at least (probably not in a month, though). She's 5'0" and her "optimal" weight is like 90 lbs according to the chart. Seems to light to me.

I finally broken the 300lb plateau I have been on for a few weeks. 

51FCC4B0-454E-4E1C-B58C-7C95B24362F8.jpeg.54bdb152afb779e6ab4c553b2baa4783.jpeg

I’m trying not to look at the scale daily as it is sometimes a mind fuck. I have been keeping up with 15k+ steps a day with 4-5 trips to gym a week for mostly upper body training. In the heat of Singapore, 15k often feels like 30  

6793283D-EC1B-455E-A905-751A893BAF11.thumb.jpeg.eb3244cd195fe56f38ce724efcbfc8b9.jpeg

I have a 50k step jungle walk planned with buddies next week. We will see how that goes. It’s basically 8 hours of walking. 

gotta keep going...

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Modessit said:

My wife started keto today. Agreed to try one month to see. She's big into bread, chocolate, etc so we're finding subs. She started at 127 lbs this morning and is hoping for 110 at least (probably not in a month, though). She's 5'0" and her "optimal" weight is like 90 lbs according to the chart. Seems to light to me.

We’re all about the before and after photos. Clothing optional, but frowned upon.

9 minutes ago, Parliament said:
8 hours ago, Errestaurants said:
Keep up the great work guys/gals.  I’ve transitioned from NPP to Deca and will be adding 200 mg of Tren weekly split between 2 injections. Sitting at 215. Still at 4500 calories a day. Estrogen is bouncing back.

What's your workout look like?

6 days a week PPL. Sometimes I’ll take another day off. Super high volume medium weight for hypertrophy. Off cycle and just cruising on Test then less volume shorter workouts. 

2 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

How old are you? I’d be curious to see how I would do with gear at 46 and not 30.

I’m 41. I would have your test checked first and see if you need TRT. There’s is a lot more than just picking up some gear and injecting it. Workouts are longer, nutrition needs to be dialed in, bloods checked regularly, managing estrogen, what’s your goals, are you going to blast and cruise or blast and do pct? Is this to achieve aesthetics or pure strength and get mass? Do you have a good source? Are you okay being a pin cushion depending on the ester.  You need to be in pretty good shape before starting. Definitely in the under 15% bf and it be legit plus a great foundation already built. Most people underestimate their bf.  

• Hook 'Em 1

56 days.  30 pounds lost.

Did finally have one cheat meal, and it was full blown Tex-Mex with a Negro Modelo schooner.  That week, I di not lose any weight, but it was worth it.

Other than that one evening, I have stuck to the program. 20g or fewer of carbs/ day.

My clothes fit like hell. LOL.

19 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

I’m 41. I would have your test checked first and see if you need TRT. There’s is a lot more than just picking up some gear and injecting it. Workouts are longer, nutrition needs to be dialed in, bloods checked regularly, managing estrogen, what’s your goals, are you going to blast and cruise or blast and do pct? Is this to achieve aesthetics or pure strength and get mass? Do you have a good source? Are you okay being a pin cushion depending on the ester.  You need to be in pretty good shape before starting. Definitely in the under 15% bf and it be legit plus a great foundation already built. Most people underestimate their bf.  

I'm familiar with all the above.  I ran some Test and Var when I was about 30 with great results.  Measuring out 3500-4000 calories per day and ran Nolvadex for PCT after.  Test levels at that time were still really high.  

Last time I measured BF it was done 90 days apart in a water tank.  Each under 12%.  That was about 2 years ago.  I'd guess I'm still under 15% now. 

Now it would be almost purely aesthetic. At 46 with my frame and lifestyle it would be hard to get back to 206 and throwing heavy iron. I'm good at 185-190, multiple HIIT per week and a session or two of yoga.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Any ideas for low impact exercises? I'm getting sick of yoga and walks. 

I hear you. Nursing climbing injuries right now and losing weight with walking, no alcohol and diet.

Last summer I did pretty well with cycling.  I just took the bike out in some neighborhoods for about 45 min/day.  you get some sprinting in in disguise with the hills.

Another thing i did last summer was just some mini workouts. During the day I did  small sets of push ups, pull ups, planks and air squats.  I did about the same amount each day and my weekly goal was 200 push ups, 50 pull ups, 8 minutes of various planks, and 200 air squats.  Very doable.

Consider also some real mobility work.  It is painful, requires concentration, and dedication.  There are no real mirror results, but this and general weight loss will take years of wear off.  I would recommend mobility work over weights, body weight, cardio, and HIT any day even for the youngsters.

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I'm familiar with all the above.  I ran some Test and Var when I was about 30 with great results.  Measuring out 3500-4000 calories per day and ran Nolvadex for PCT after.  Test levels at that time were still really high.  

Last time I measured BF it was done 90 days apart in a water tank.  Each under 12%.  That was about 2 years ago.  I'd guess I'm still under 15% now. 

Now it would be almost purely aesthetic. At 46 with my frame and lifestyle it would be hard to get back to 206 and throwing heavy iron. I'm good at 185-190, multiple HIIT per week and a session or two of yoga.  

Get er done brother. test primo eq is perfect for what your wanting.  https://www.reddit.com/r/steroids/about/ good info.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I hear you. Nursing climbing injuries right now and losing weight with walking, no alcohol and diet.

Last summer I did pretty well with cycling.  I just took the bike out in some neighborhoods for about 45 min/day.  you get some sprinting in in disguise with the hills.

Another thing i did last summer was just some mini workouts. During the day I did  small sets of push ups, pull ups, planks and air squats.  I did about the same amount each day and my weekly goal was 200 push ups, 50 pull ups, 8 minutes of various planks, and 200 air squats.  Very doable.

Consider also some real mobility work.  It is painful, requires concentration, and dedication.  There are no real mirror results, but this and general weight loss will take years of wear off.  I would recommend mobility work over weights, body weight, cardio, and HIT any day even for the youngsters.

4 hours ago, slorch said:

Bicycle or swimming?

Thanks fellas. I was cleared for "moderate exercise" today, so we can expand the scope. I haven't ridden the Peloton since the end of February. I think it's time.  

Hey Bill, I know you as one of the gurus in the bourbon thread.  What is approach to libation while you are working on this weight loss?

I still drink bourbon, about 2-3 oz a night.  I miss beer badly, but the bourbons help me cope( in a good way.)