2021 Body Transformation Thread

troph

On 12/18/2021 at 8:10 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Also, a key thing for me:  don't sleep with your toes "pointed."  Try to keep your feet at right angles to your shins, more or less.  This keeps calves from shortening overnight.  They actually make splints if you can't do this on your own.

You can buy a Strassburg sock to keep from pointing your toes as well.  For me, I made sure that I lightly stretched my calves before leaping out of bed - just take a few minutes to lie on your back with your feet at 90 degree angles.  Especially with Achilles tendonitis, jumping out of bed after your calves have been contracted all night will continue to tear at the tendons. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ending the year on a real down note. It's been one ailment after the other dating back to October and I've pretty much given up on doing anything healthy until January.

Took a spill down the stairs back during the World Series and broke 2 ribs. Just now to the point where I don't have any lingering pain, but still doesn't feel right being in anything resembling a pushup position. Had a sciatica flare up back on Thanksgiving weekend that just resolved itself in the last week or so. Same day as the flare-up I came down with a nasty cold. Only felt "sick" for about 48 hours, but ended up with a hacking cough that lingered for weeks. Told my wife this morning how I'm looking forward to waking up tomorrow morning with nothing bothering me for the first time in over 2 months (dealing with booster shot side effects today). 

So, take about 2 months of doing almost nothing physical and throw in the usual holiday season food and booze excesses and I look and feel like a turd. Heading to the gym tomorrow morning for first time in probably 3 months and we'll see just how far I have to go/how much my ribs will allow me to do. More important than looking better, I'm just tired of feeling physically shitty and need to get my act together, cause I ain't getting any younger. 

• Hook 'Em 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2021 at 1:20 PM, Storm the Field said:

Ending the year on a real down note. It's been one ailment after the other dating back to October and I've pretty much given up on doing anything healthy until January.

Took a spill down the stairs back during the World Series and broke 2 ribs. Just now to the point where I don't have any lingering pain, but still doesn't feel right being in anything resembling a pushup position. Had a sciatica flare up back on Thanksgiving weekend that just resolved itself in the last week or so. Same day as the flare-up I came down with a nasty cold. Only felt "sick" for about 48 hours, but ended up with a hacking cough that lingered for weeks. Told my wife this morning how I'm looking forward to waking up tomorrow morning with nothing bothering me for the first time in over 2 months (dealing with booster shot side effects today). 

So, take about 2 months of doing almost nothing physical and throw in the usual holiday season food and booze excesses and I look and feel like a turd. Heading to the gym tomorrow morning for first time in probably 3 months and we'll see just how far I have to go/how much my ribs will allow me to do. More important than looking better, I'm just tired of feeling physically shitty and need to get my act together, cause I ain't getting any younger. 

I’d recommend getting a hot tub. It could be completely mental, but I think it helped me drop water weight earlier this year. I soaked at about 104 degrees for 30 minutes every day for a couple months. 

Again not sure if it worked, but all my pants and shirts fit. 

Well… fuck. It’s hard to teach a yo-yo new tricks. Lost 75 lbs. in the spring and summer. Gained 35 back other the course of the football season. Thanks a lot, Sark. New year is here though. Ready to get the yo-yo falling again. Back on track tomorrow.

Bernard

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/17/2021 at 11:07 AM, Zepol87 said:

Anyone ever dealt with heel pain? It has gotten worse over the past 3 days. Last week I was in Alaska doing some hiking, tubing, and sledding in a shit ton of snow. Came home Saturday night,  mostly relaxed but played basketball Monday afternoon and now I am in a decent amount of pain. Every step hurts moderately under my right heel and along the back of it. That is the only place though. GF has been looking up plantar fasciitis stuff but I have never dealt with it so not sure what the hell it is but probably gonna hit the doc next week if it doesn't get better. 

Update time.

This kind of went away I did some stretching and it didn't seem to help at all for the next week but or course kept at it and now no pain at all. Getting out of bed was painful as fuck every morning but by 10am it was better. Last few days no pain at all on the morning

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Update time.

This kind of went away I did some stretching and it didn't seem to help at all for the next week but or course kept at it and now no pain at all. Getting out of bed was painful as fuck every morning but by 10am it was better. Last few days no pain at all on the morning

Sounds like you’re just getting old. Welcome to the club, I’m 34 going on 64.

I ended up this morning 40 pounds less than mid-August and that was with three serious detours along the way.  Keto and IM fasting works for me.  Working my way back to OMAD, which was surprisingly easy to do once I adapted to it.  Looking for another 40 pounds in the next few months to get to 200, which is supposedly normal BMI for my 6'4" height.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I ended up this morning 40 pounds less than mid-August and that was with three serious detours along the way.  Keto and IM fasting works for me.  Working my way back to OMAD, which was surprisingly easy to do once I adapted to it.  Looking for another 40 pounds in the next few months to get to 200, which is supposedly normal BMI for my 6'4" height.

This is the only thing that has worked for me, as well, and I am back on the wagon today.

I am 6'3" and 240. Dropped the booze and did OMAD with dirty Keto to start 2021 and got down to 207, and then fell off the wagon due to the boredom of being relatively locked down all year (my office is a very strict WFH unless on-site is required, which basically is reserved for manufacturing/operations, so, not me). That has really driven me to ruin wrt to calorie intake/diet.

I basically cracked open a few cold ones every weekday starting around 4:30 and killed the boredom by cooking "new and interesting" (read, unhealthy) meals that weren't doing me any favors, so I gained 20 back. Irritated with myself.

So, I am "embracing the suck" today with an eye on just getting 4 days with no beers and strict keto under my belt. Typically, once I do that I am off to the races and don't want to fuck up my streak.

Edited by Shady Ray
  • Like 2

On 12/20/2021 at 1:20 PM, Storm the Field said:

Getting older sucks, I got knocked off my routine late summer with a knee issue that morphed into a back issue that is just now really starting to clear up. Then throw in a hand and elbow surgery in October and it has been a wasted fall, luckily I managed to stay within range of where I had gotten down to but need to put in some work this spring to get down another 25 or so and see how everything feels at that point.

There a 22’ thread? Or even a 22’ weight loss thread. My large ass is jumping on the wagon starting today.

Ya ya, new year new new me is for the bitches. Well, that’s me. I am bitches.

I’m in.

Kind of hit a rock bottom. Heaviest I have ever been. Stopped doing jiu jitsu about a year ago for various reasons/excuses.

Need to get back on my diet and active. Not sure if/when I will go back to jiu jitsu. Running is an issue because of my back. Might bite the bullet and go to the gym, but I loathe gyms. When I was big into lifting weights, it was always at home. Don’t presently have a set up.
  • Like 2

If someone wants to make a ‘22 thread, by all means. I’m going to stop OMAD and start eating lunch. I was 178 lbs after gorging myself on chocolate covered peanut butter balls over the Christmas holidays. Time to gain some weight!

Stopping OMAD and going to try and gain 10/15 lbs. Clean carbs and lots of protein.

I think the biggest thing that anyone can PHYSICALLY do, is understand and adhere to calorie counts. You don't have to be psycho about it forever. I only used an app to count for maybe a month before I got a good understanding of what my daily intake needed to be if I wanted to maintain, lose weight, etc. Even when I "cheat" I manipulate my other caloric intake that day so that it is not as impactful. I have go tos that I eat every day for breakfast, lunch, dinner. I know that I can basically have oatmeal with blueberries and it's going to be around 180-200 calorie. The salad with chicken and Olive Garden dressing that I have for lunch is around 300 calories, etc. If I am going to drink I drink something that will not impact my caloric intake as heavily. It all works out and I'm pretty stringent with it. I don't think I've had a single day since I started the Noom journey in May where I have just said fuck it today I'm eating and drinking whatever I want. I have had lots and lots of days where I've ended the day by ordering pizza. I need to cut that down in 2022, but even on those days I wind up staying pretty close to my daily caloric intake because I basically will do intermittent fasting that day. Maybe I will have a salad and some grapes and that's my only other caloric intake that day. It's become a lifestyle and it's not that difficult to maintain. 

Of course, the biggest obstacles are always not physical, they're mental. 

• 5 weeks later...

Alright it's that time of year where I make myself suffer for a couple months. 

Rate my week 1 diet : 

Breakfast - 3 boiled eggs, with a half of an egg yolk. 

Lunch - Homemade Zoe's Greek Salad with shredded chicken. 

Dinner - Ground bison and green beans. 

Snack: Walnuts and blackberries. 

I'm thinking my weekend reward meal will be marinated lamb chops with no sides. 

Alright it's that time of year where I make myself suffer for a couple months. 
Rate my week 1 diet : 
Breakfast - 3 boiled eggs, with a half of an egg yolk. 
Lunch - Homemade Zoe's Greek Salad with shredded chicken. 
Dinner - Ground bison and green beans. 
Snack: Walnuts and blackberries. 
I'm thinking my weekend reward meal will be marinated lamb chops with no sides. 

Seek out the 2022 fatass thread.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2021 at 10:07 AM, Zepol87 said:

Anyone ever dealt with heel pain? It has gotten worse over the past 3 days. Last week I was in Alaska doing some hiking, tubing, and sledding in a shit ton of snow. Came home Saturday night,  mostly relaxed but played basketball Monday afternoon and now I am in a decent amount of pain. Every step hurts moderately under my right heel and along the back of it. That is the only place though. GF has been looking up plantar fasciitis stuff but I have never dealt with it so not sure what the hell it is but probably gonna hit the doc next week if it doesn't get better. 

How'd it work out for you?

I had foot pain and basically ignored it for years until it started to wake me up at night. I was diagnosed with a neuroma, and over the past few years have seen a couple different podiatrists. The cycle was they'd give me a series of cortisone injections over several months, the pain went away for a year or 2, then it returned. Then I found a product called Correct Toes which has totally resolved the problem without any further treatment or medical visits. It strengthens and aligns the foot and you can be fully active while wearing it. According to their literature it's also effective for plantar fascitis and a lot of different foot conditions. You order it based on the size of your foot but then you make your own modifications with a pair of scissors if necessary - with instructions on their web site. I strongly recommend giving 'em a try for anyone with foot pain. https://www.correcttoes.com/  (Also you're supposed to wear 'em with shoes with wider toe boxes or at least not super narrow ones.)

Edited by Chopper