2021 Body Transformation Thread

troph

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Gotten pretty soft over the past year of working remotely/social distancing. Takeout is too goddamn easy. Try to exercise at home and run but it’s been hit or miss, especially with regard to strength training.

My weight hasn’t moved much but I know I’m not carrying it as well. Probably won’t post much but I’m following this thread in spirit. Good luck all.

Find you a 12 week YouTube program (there's lots) that you can do from home and enjoy. Track progress. It sounds like you need a program to help keep you accountable. This will help you get into the habit of working out daily or whatever the program calls for. I'd at least find something that is 5 days a week. 1 complete rest and 1 day very light. 

If any of you guys or gals want to talk about supplements I’m assuming this the place to do it. Love to hear what you all are taking if it’s otc. If anyone has questions about UGLs and gear you can DM me if that makes you feel comfortable. I’ve done OTC, peptides, prohormones, sarms , injectables and orals.  Those of you men that are over 35 I would definitely recommend getting your testosterone checked. Free and total. Low test can be the devil when trying to get into shape. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Started March 1 at 276.6 and weighed in this morning at 261.8.  Intermittent fasting and keto.  I've done keto several times with good results (until I stop).  For the first time, I have cut out all sweets in order to get over the cravings.  Sugar cravings are likely a product of stopping drinking a couple years ago.  There are plenty of keto sweets that taste great along with coke zero.  One of my problems in the past was feeding and extending the cravings with 2-3 coke zeros and keto-friendly chocolate like products.  Eventually, I derail by substituting some real sweets for the artificial sweets.  Two weeks in and my sweet cravings are gone.  Now I drink water, black coffee, unsweet tea, and usually one Topo Chico a day.

Adding exercise back in is the next step.  6 years ago, when I was doing triathlons on a regular basis, I was doing a swim/bike/run session almost every day.  Did Escape from Alcatraz in 2015 and apparently retired.  Starting from scratch sucks, but I have to start somewhere.

Goal is to get back down in the 220-225 range.  Still a bit overweight, but not too bad at 6'4".

• Hook 'Em 3

Started 3/12 (250lbs) and down 5lbs as of this morning.  My office has a gym that I've had an on and off relationship with.  I lost a bunch of weight when it opened just basic dieting and exercise, but it was closed most of the shutdown and my diet has been as poor as ever.  Cutting out snacking while at home, fast food, and cutting back on the brown water.  My diet now is hardboiled eggs for breakfast, protein shake for lunch, and chicken (or some other protein) and veggies for dinner.  I've always liked lifting so getting to the gym isn't a problem, although my cardio right now is as bad as it's ever been.

I understand the basics of Keto.  Limit carbs and your body switches to burning fat for energy.  Can I get into ketosis with the occasional sandwich or granola bar or does it have to be completely shut out, and is there a danger if my body goes to this mode and I don't consume enough fat, or would that just manifest as tiredness and fatigue?

Edited by Gene Parmesan

19 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Started 3/12 (250lbs) and down 5lbs as of this morning.  My office has a gym that I've had an on and off relationship with.  I lost a bunch of weight when it opened just basic dieting and exercise, but it was closed most of the shutdown and my diet has been as poor as ever.  Cutting out snacking while at home, fast food, and cutting back on the brown water.  My diet now is hardboiled eggs for breakfast, protein shake for lunch, and chicken (or some other protein) and veggies for dinner.  I've always liked lifting so getting to the gym isn't a problem, although my cardio right now is as bad as it's ever been.

I understand the basics of Keto.  Limit carbs and your body switches to burning fat for energy.  Can I get into ketosis with the occasional sandwich or granola bar or does it have to be completely shut out, and is there a danger if my body goes to this mode and I don't consume enough fat, or would that just manifest as tiredness and fatigue?

Once you get into ketosis you typically want to stay. Eating a sandwich with "regular" bread will break it. That's what makes keto very difficult as a forever lifestyle versus something to lose some quick weight. 

Yeah I like the idea of bacon being good, but I doubt I can commit myself to full on keto as a lifestyle.  Maybe if I didn't have kids.  My current diet isn't sustainable long term though, so I need to find a balance once I get to my target weight.  Even in my younger years when I was in shape, I mainly relied on youth and running a shit ton after a binder. 

On 3/15/2021 at 2:23 PM, Errestaurants said:

If any of you guys or gals want to talk about supplements I’m assuming this the place to do it. Love to hear what you all are taking if it’s otc. If anyone has questions about UGLs and gear you can DM me if that makes you feel comfortable. I’ve done OTC, peptides, prohormones, sarms , injectables and orals.  Those of you men that are over 35 I would definitely recommend getting your testosterone checked. Free and total. Low test can be the devil when trying to get into shape. 

Had a blood test last week and the T was definitely lower case (100 pts below range).  Having my annual checkup tomorrow and since that was the only thing seriously out of whack (other than the lbs I've put on in the past few years despite getting plenty of regular cardio and resistance training).  It definitely explains a lot of why, to generalize, I've felt really off my game the last couple of years (just haven't really wanted to do shit, but I still exercise out of force of habit).  Any questions I should ask? 

Surly personal trainers, what are simple things people can do to lose weight? 

My list : 

1) No fast food. Try to cook as much as home to control portions/ingredients/cooking method. 

2) No beer. I switched to sparkling water, and I don't really miss it. 

3) No bread. 

4) No sweets. If I want to treat myself I'll get a kid's size banana/strawberry smoothie at Smoothie King. 

5) Light snacks between meals. A handful of walnuts and blackberries. I also like celery and plain humus. 

6) Some form of exercise for 45 minutes every day. 

7) Lean protein and a leafy green vegetable for dinner. 

8.) I've been trying to drink bourbon just one night a week. This will be tough to keep up after March.

I also hit the hot tub every day for at least 30 minutes. I know it's not some miracle weight loss device, but it soothes my muscles and makes me sweat. 

I think my diet blind spots are not eating raw vegetables. I tried to go all salads at the beginning of my diet, and I just burned myself out on spinach and kale. 

4 hours ago, dcbc said:

Had a blood test last week and the T was definitely lower case (100 pts below range).  Having my annual checkup tomorrow and since that was the only thing seriously out of whack (other than the lbs I've put on in the past few years despite getting plenty of regular cardio and resistance training).  It definitely explains a lot of why, to generalize, I've felt really off my game the last couple of years (just haven't really wanted to do shit, but I still exercise out of force of habit).  Any questions I should ask? 

In my experience most GP have no clue with this kind of stuff and don't want to prescribe Test. You will probably be referred to an Endocrinologist. Are you having ED or low libido issues?  You will be asked that question. 100 points below the reference range is definitely low. There are now so many online companies that make it easy. Roman, Defy, etc. They will give you 150 to 200 a week and you do the injections. I cruise and blast test throughout the year. 200mgs for 20 weeks then 600 for 20 weeks. This is test cyp. 2 injections split evenly 2 days a week. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

My list : 

1) No fast food. Try to cook as much as home to control portions/ingredients/cooking method. 

3) No bread. 

4) No sweets. If I want to treat myself I'll get a kid's size banana/strawberry smoothie at Smoothie King. 

5) Light snacks between meals. A handful of walnuts and blackberries. I also like celery and plain humus. 

8.) I've been trying to drink bourbon just one night a week. This will be tough to keep up after March.

I also hit the hot tub every day for at least 30 minutes. I know it's not some miracle weight loss device, but it soothes my muscles and makes me sweat. 

I think my diet blind spots are not eating raw vegetables. I tried to go all salads at the beginning of my diet, and I just burned myself out on spinach and kale. 

What you have is pretty much true.Track your calories daily. If you want to cut then 500 below maintenance daily. Bulk then 500 above maintenance daily. If you're on gear then we are talking a little different program.

Shoot for .75 to 1 gram of protein per pound body weight. I see to many people only doing cardio but weights are your best friend. Building muscle is what is important to looking and being fit

• Hook 'Em 2

My list : 
3) No bread. 
Great list there and the only thing I can add is, "Nail Surly 10's on a regular basis." Good luck.
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

In my experience most GP have no clue with this kind of stuff and don't want to prescribe Test. You will probably be referred to an Endocrinologist. Are you having ED or low libido issues?  You will be asked that question. 100 points below the reference range is definitely low. There are now so many online companies that make it easy. Roman, Defy, etc. They will give you 150 to 200 a week and you do the injections. I cruise and blast test throughout the year. 200mgs for 20 weeks then 600 for 20 weeks. This is test cyp. 2 injections split evenly 2 days a week. 

No ED, but my drive has been down the last couple of years.

My GP isn't like that, and I suspect he is no stranger to it.  His group is pretty full service.  Had my appointment this morning.  We talked about the benefits of it as well as possible side effects, and they'll be doing screenings every 3 months to check markers for potential blood clots, PSA, and elevated estrogen levels.  I took another blood test today just so he could get insurance pre-authorization and scored 14 points lower than before.  So with that out of the way, I'm just waiting for the prescription to be filled now.  He said that he likes to shoot for top of the normal range, and a little higher is fine.  Injections once per week.  I'm not trying to break records.  I just want to feel better and reap some results from my workouts. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

No ED, but my drive has been down the last couple of years.

My GP isn't like that, and I suspect he is no stranger to it.  His group is pretty full service.  Had my appointment this morning.  We talked about the possible side effects and they'll be doing screenings every 3 months to check for potential blood clots, PSA, and elevated estrogen levels.  I took another blood test today just so he could get insurance pre-authorization and scored 14 points lower than before.  So with that out of the way, I'm just waiting for the prescription to be filled now.  He said that he likes to shoot for top of the normal range, and a little higher is fine.  Injections once per week.  I'm not trying to break records.  I just want to feel better and reap some results from my workouts. 

Good for you brother. What did he prescribe? Test E or Cyp? How much mg? 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Good for you brother. What did he prescribe? Test E or Cyp? How much mg? 

Cyp 200MG/ML (0.75 ml) once per week, and we reevaluate based on how I score 3 months from now.  Just got word.  I pick it up today.

I also was told to warn my wife. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47mvnwo3jowt46djtq2b

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dcbc said:

Cyp 200MG/ML (0.75 ml) once per week, and we reevaluate based on how I score 3 months from now.  Just got word.  I pick it up today.

I also was told to warn my wife. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47mvnwo3jowt46djtq2b

A lot of people draw with a 20 and pin with a 25. I pin and draw with the same needle unless I’m doing like 3 cc’s of say test and npp that I load together then I’ll draw with a 20 to save time. If you’re doing the injecting yourself I’d do delta and ventros. I pin upper glute, ventro, delts, lats and upper chest. Stay away from quads in my opinion. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/17/2021 at 2:02 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

My list : 

3) No bread. 

Great list.

Some of you might find some good stuff in my formula:

Story: 54, usually in good shape at around 185-190 at 5'-11".  When I am in great shape I drop to about 175lb and for me that is about 12% body fat.

Over the last 8 years I have been besieged with minor injury of various types that I usually rehabbed or worked around. I got into some bad form a few years ago with some cross fit type work outs and and ended up with a torn meniscus which I had partially removed in December.  While rehabbing the knee and general inactivity over the last year, I have seen my weight balloon up to 202 lbs.

My primary form of fun is gym rock climbing, and I came back too quickly from the knee surgery and although I had no knee issues, I quickly developed climbers elbow (golfers elbow) in both arms, an unusual but fairly minor shoulder impingement, and some tendinitis in my carpi wrist tendon.  So I decided it was time to take a break from climbing, lose some weight, and concentrate on some movement evaluation and rework.

However, due to my injuries and recent surgery, almost all form of traditional exercise are off the table.  So I decided to come up with a simple hard hitting plan that I could do for 4-6 weeks to get off of high center on the weight loss front.  This will not be for everyone, but I think it is a testament to the power of simplicity and diet.

The steps:

Complete cessation of alcohol.  I put a pencil to my alcohol consumption as I recollected it and  in the previous weeks averaged an alcohol equivalent of 31 Bud Lights per week.  I know this Surly and that is no big deal, but calorically it amounts to about 1lb/week.  Plus this is not forever.

Walk 1 hr/day on average: Pretty easy to do since I have no other means of exercise.  Based on my weight and pace, I figured I can get about 1LB/week out of this. I am also doing some light band rehab work on my wrists, elbows and shoulders, but nothing calorically significant.  Walking is a very powerful fat loss tool.  Several years ago I was down to about 179LBS while doing all kinds of body weight exercises and sprinting along with a very moderate paleo type of diet when my weight loss really stalled out until I added about 3 walks a week.  There is just something about the pace that lends itself to steady fat loss.

One Meal Per Day:  This is where it might get difficult for some of you.  This is not an eating window.  I literally have one meal per day (during the week) and I eat mine at 3PM.  From prep to finishing the dishes it is about 1 hr.  In normal times I don't eat breakfast or lunch but eat from 6-9PM excluding weekends.

The Meal is a salad: 1/2 LB of Spring mix, 2 can of sardines, 2 hard boiled eggs, generous portions of bell peppers, carrots, mushrooms, onions and broccoli.  Topped with a homemade vinaigrette, shredded Parmesan cheese, and Parmesan Crisps.  I have a hard time finishing it and I have no hunger for the rest of the evening unless someone brings in some fast food or something.  The caloric intake would not be sufficient if I were climbing or otherwise working out, but I find it works while I am hobbled.  I have weighed myself before and after this meal and the weight is ~3lbs of food +/-.  I did a calorie count on it at one time but I don't have it anymore, but I think it was slightly less less than 2000 cals.  I may rework it and edit this post if there is interest.

The results:

Very slow start for the first 3-4 days in terms of weight loss.  Some of that may be in the weighing times and whether I have evacuated my bowels of the 3lb meal, but after that once you get in a rhythm the result are consistent.  I vary from this approach on the weekends a bit and whatever happens over the weekend tends to even out by Monday afternoon. 

After 3 weeks I am at 185-186 lbs for an astonishing .8/lbs lost per day.  Caveat, historically, my weight loss tends to stall as I get closer to 180lbs.  But also consider, I have no weight work or HIT training in this regimen so I still have that in my bag of tricks once I get healthier.  Consider too to that I am also preconditioned to smaller eating windows so the effect would in theory be greater for someone not accustomed to restricted eating windows.  

Also, I began this program not significantly over weight.  For another Surly of similar build and love of all things alcohol, but say another 20lbs heavier to start, I would expect being able to run this program for longer with similar daily results.  There are also other hidden calorie restrictions that I do not have available such as soft drinks or sweets which I don't usually have in my diet, so I don't benefit from cutting them out.

On muscle loss: I have no idea or not whether this is occurring or not, but it is not a concern at this time since I really have no other choice.  I will say that this injury situation has led me to research and rethink my movement patterns for all forms of exercise. I imagine I am going to be out of rock climbing for another 3-4 months and in that time I will continue to try and lose weight to where I am down to under 170lb.  At that weight, I will have the benefit of over 30LBS less of body weight to deal with on the wall which is kind of like a hidden strength gain.  Additionally with improvement in technique and emphasis on mobility and correct muscle activation and joint strengthening, any loss of muscle will be more than offset.

I just thought I would share the weight loss portion especially since it is working so well and dispel the notion that you need to hit the gym all the time and wear yourself out to get good and fast results which are not the result of an unsustainable crash diet or questionable eating habits.

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Great list.

Some of you might find some good stuff in my formula:

Story: 54, usually in good shape at around 185-190 at 5'-11".  When I am in great shape I drop to about 175lb and for me that is about 12% body fat.

Over the last 8 years I have been besieged with minor injury of various types that I usually rehabbed or worked around. I got into some bad form a few years ago with some cross fit type work outs and and ended up with a torn meniscus which I had partially removed in December.  While rehabbing the knee and general inactivity over the last year, I have seen my weight balloon up to 202 lbs.

My primary form of fun is gym rock climbing, and I came back too quickly from the knee surgery and although I had no knee issues, I quickly developed climbers elbow (golfers elbow) in both arms, an unusual but fairly minor shoulder impingement, and some tendinitis in my carpi wrist tendon.  So I decided it was time to take a break from climbing, lose some weight, and concentrate on some movement evaluation and rework.

However, due to my injuries and recent surgery, almost all form of traditional exercise are off the table.  So I decided to come up with a simple hard hitting plan that I could do for 4-6 weeks to get off of high center on the weight loss front.  This will not be for everyone, but I think it is a testament to the power of simplicity and diet.

The steps:

Complete cessation of alcohol.  I put a pencil to my alcohol consumption as I recollected it and  in the previous weeks averaged an alcohol equivalent of 31 Bud Lights per week.  I know this Surly and that is no big deal, but calorically it amounts to about 1lb/week.  Plus this is not forever.

Walk 1 hr/day on average: Pretty easy to do since I have no other means of exercise.  Based on my weight and pace, I figured I can get about 1LB/week out of this. I am also doing some light band rehab work on my wrists, elbows and shoulders, but nothing calorically significant.  Walking is a very powerful fat loss tool.  Several years ago I was down to about 179LBS while doing all kinds of body weight exercises and sprinting along with a very moderate paleo type of diet when my weight loss really stalled out until I added about 3 walks a week.  There is just something about the pace that lends itself to steady fat loss.

One Meal Per Day:  This is where it might get difficult for some of you.  This is not an eating window.  I literally have one meal per day (during the week) and I eat mine at 3PM.  From prep to finishing the dishes it is about 1 hr.  In normal times I don't eat breakfast or lunch but eat from 6-9PM excluding weekends.

The Meal is a salad: 1/2 LB of Spring mix, 2 can of sardines, 2 hard boiled eggs, generous portions of bell peppers, carrots, mushrooms, onions and broccoli.  Topped with a homemade vinaigrette, shredded Parmesan cheese, and Parmesan Crisps.  I have a hard time finishing it and I have no hunger for the rest of the evening unless someone brings in some fast food or something.  The caloric intake would not be sufficient if I were climbing or otherwise working out, but I find it works while I am hobbled.  I have weighed myself before and after this meal and the weight is ~3lbs of food +/-.  I did a calorie count on it at one time but I don't have it anymore, but I think it was slightly less less than 2000 cals.  I may rework it and edit this post if there is interest.

The results:

Very slow start for the first 3-4 days in terms of weight loss.  Some of that may be in the weighing times and whether I have evacuated my bowels of the 3lb meal, but after that once you get in a rhythm the result are consistent.  I vary from this approach on the weekends a bit and whatever happens over the weekend tends to even out by Monday afternoon. 

After 3 weeks I am at 185-186 lbs for an astonishing .8/lbs lost per day.  Caveat, historically, my weight loss tends to stall as I get closer to 180lbs.  But also consider, I have no weight work or HIT training in this regimen so I still have that in my bag of tricks once I get healthier.  Consider too to that I am also preconditioned to smaller eating windows so the effect would in theory be greater for someone not accustomed to restricted eating windows.  

Also, I began this program not significantly over weight.  For another Surly of similar build and love of all things alcohol, but say another 20lbs heavier to start, I would expect being able to run this program for longer with similar daily results.  There are also other hidden calorie restrictions that I do not have available such as soft drinks or sweets which I don't usually have in my diet, so I don't benefit from cutting them out.

On muscle loss: I have no idea or not whether this is occurring or not, but it is not a concern at this time since I really have no other choice.  I will say that this injury situation has led me to research and rethink my movement patterns for all forms of exercise. I imagine I am going to be out of rock climbing for another 3-4 months and in that time I will continue to try and lose weight to where I am down to under 170lb.  At that weight, I will have the benefit of over 30LBS less of body weight to deal with on the wall which is kind of like a hidden strength gain.  Additionally with improvement in technique and emphasis on mobility and correct muscle activation and joint strengthening, any loss of muscle will be more than offset.

I just thought I would share the weight loss portion especially since it is working so well and dispel the notion that you need to hit the gym all the time and wear yourself out to get good and fast results which are not the result of an unsustainable crash diet or questionable eating habits.

Thanks for sharing brother. We all take different paths on this journey of health and fitness. Cutting out alcohol 99% really makes a big difference. The one thing about losing 30 pounds and that being a hidden strength gain isn't going to be necessarily true. Anytime you lose that much weight you will lose strength also unless you are on gear. When you lose weight it isn't 100% fat and water. There will be muscle loss. If we are talking about a test tren anavar cycle then yea you can lose weight and not strength. 

2 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Thanks for sharing brother. We all take different paths on this journey of health and fitness. Cutting out alcohol 99% really makes a big difference. The one thing about losing 30 pounds and that being a hidden strength gain isn't going to be necessarily true. Anytime you lose that much weight you will lose strength also unless you are on gear. When you lose weight it isn't 100% fat and water. There will be muscle loss. If we are talking about a test tren anavar cycle then yea you can lose weight and not strength. 

Not sure what "on gear" means nor "test tren anavar cycle", but otherwise I agree.  Normally, I would be doing some type of heavy-ish lifting to maintain or gain, but that is not an option.  Further, joints are not muscles and there is a weight at which climbing can become really damaging to the joints no matter how strong you are due to the unique, unequal, novel, and unrehearsed movements.  Also, that fat gets in the way by volume alone.

I should at some point get a fat scan and see where I am really at, at this pint I'm just going off of and caliper measurement done back in my 20's, some internet fat % photos, and experience based on weight loss difficulty.

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Not sure what "on gear" means nor "test tren anavar cycle", but otherwise I agree.  Normally, I would be doing some type of heavy-ish lifting to maintain or gain, but that is not an option.  Further, joints are not muscles and there is a weight at which climbing can become really damaging to the joints no matter how strong you are due to the unique, unequal, novel, and unrehearsed movements.  Also, that fat gets in the way by volume alone.

I should at some point get a fat scan and see where I am really at, at this pint I'm just going off of and caliper measurement done back in my 20's, some internet fat % photos, and experience based on weight loss difficulty.

Brother, if I came across confrontational in any way in my response I apologize definitely didn’t mean for that. Gear is AAS (steroids)only way you can “cut” weight and maintain strength or even gain strength. Testosterone, Trenbolone and Anavar is a classic recomp cycle for that. I was commenting on your comment that in losing 30 pounds would be a hidden strength gain.

54 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Brother, if I came across confrontational in any way in my response I apologize definitely didn’t mean for that. Gear is AAS (steroids)only way you can “cut” weight and maintain strength or even gain strength. Testosterone, Trenbolone and Anavar is a classic recomp cycle for that. I was commenting on your comment that in losing 30 pounds would be a hidden strength gain.

You did not offend in any way. 

Earlier in the year some folks were doing the 75 Hard challenge. I’ve adapted it to my life and am going for it. I’ve gone from 200 back up to 228 due to a terrible diet and inconsistent lifting. So, today starts 75 days of a challenge.

1. Workout / exercise / play for min of 1.5 hours every day.
2. No booze
3. Follow my diet plan, no cheat days (this is where I go off the rails every time)
4. Read 30 min a day (work the brain)
5. Drink more water (8 glasses is my daily goal)
6. Take a weekly progress pic

I’m doing this to help focus on SOMETHING. Lifting / exercise to just hit a weight goal has left me bored. I also know this isn’t the original 75 Hard and I don’t care. I need something doable, but is still challenging.

LastIy, I wish all of you continued success.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

So I've been completely off breads/grains for 6 days now, and my only carbs are coming from nuts/veggies.  To all the keto experts, do I need to buy a meter to tell if I'm in ketosis, or do I just assume I am?  

If you want to know if you're in ketosis, you need a meter.

Great job being off of breads and grains.  Some nuts and vegs are very high in carbs.  I was snacking way too much on almonds and probably added too many carbs.

28 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

If you want to know if you're in ketosis, you need a meter.

Great job being off of breads and grains.  Some nuts and vegs are very high in carbs.  I was snacking way too much on almonds and probably added too many carbs.

I've been googling keto friendly veggies and sticking to them.  Starchy veggies weren't really a big part of my regular diet to begin with so it was easy to nix those.  My problem is snacks and just knowing that I am getting enough fat.  I am assuming a lack of fat is going to translate to lack of energy and fatigue, right?  The only sign I have that I am in Ketosis is my pee stinks pretty bad.  I am losing weight, but I am also at a calorie deficit and working out more. 

32 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I've been googling keto friendly veggies and sticking to them.  Starchy veggies weren't really a big part of my regular diet to begin with so it was easy to nix those.  My problem is snacks and just knowing that I am getting enough fat.  I am assuming a lack of fat is going to translate to lack of energy and fatigue, right?  The only sign I have that I am in Ketosis is my pee stinks pretty bad.  I am losing weight, but I am also at a calorie deficit and working out more. 

For all of you guys doing low carb or keto I highly recommend Mark's Daily Apple.

Nothing to buy, a wealth of knowledge, tons of great recipes, very simple work out regimen.  I always come back to something on that site for guidance.

I am currently doing my own thing now (See my weight loss post on this page a few posts up), but will return more or less to that program once I heal up more.

It works long term and is not too hard.  Only fall backs I have had are due to injury and downward spiral of work conflicts and daily life stress along with diet interruptions due to having a vegetarian in the household....and booze.

BTW, I don't worry about fat consumption or count calories even when not on my ridiculous salad diet.  I have found that the body adapts to seeking out fat as a source of energy (when carbs are low) as long as you don't do too much cardio or hit and keep the weight training to 2 session per week and keep them short.

• Hook 'Em 2

I’ve hit a wall and kinda perplexed. On my post on the first page I described I’m doing a bulk to 220. I’m having trouble getting past 210 even after upping my calories from 4100 to 4300. I’m getting my blood work results back Friday. I’ve upped the test from 600 to 700, npp is still at 150 mwf and upped the dbol to 80 mgs a day pre-workout. Got about 8 weeks left. 

5 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Earlier in the year some folks were doing the 75 Hard challenge. I’ve adapted it to my life and am going for it. I’ve gone from 200 back up to 228 due to a terrible diet and inconsistent lifting. So, today starts 75 days of a challenge.

1. Workout / exercise / play for min of 1.5 hours every day.
2. No booze
3. Follow my diet plan, no cheat days (this is where I go off the rails every time)
4. Read 30 min a day (work the brain)
5. Drink more water (8 glasses is my daily goal)
6. Take a weekly progress pic

I’m doing this to help focus on SOMETHING. Lifting / exercise to just hit a weight goal has left me bored. I also know this isn’t the original 75 Hard and I don’t care. I need something doable, but is still challenging.

LastIy, I wish all of you continued success.

I would also add to weigh daily or multiple time per day with clothes without etc. and use the lowest measurement,  I find this keeps me from getting discouraged or too encouraged based on inter day fluctuations.  Its also kind of fun to see how much food and water weigh.

• Like 1

I don't want to go back to keto but I want to go back to how I felt when I was doing it.  I felt amazing, but I'm at my weight to maintain and I'd rather have a little more balance in my diet. With all my experimenting, it seems to me, that sugar and wheat might be the devil and fuck your mind and body. Is this why gluten free has become so popular?  

I feel like I'm chasing a heroin high with keto. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

I don't want to go back to keto but I want to go back to how I felt when I was doing it.  I felt amazing, but I'm at my weight to maintain and I'd rather have a little more balance in my diet. With all my experimenting, it seems to me, that sugar and wheat might be the devil and fuck your mind and body. Is this why gluten free has become so popular?  

I feel like I'm chasing a heroin high with keto. 

People have gluten allergies/celiac disease that is aggravated by gluten.  That's the reason for the proliferation of products.  I find a lot of people confuse simple carbs, like those present in bread and a lot of other wheat/grain products, with gluten.  Sugar is the simplest carb, there are a lot of other ones.  They are all the devil.

• Like 1

Cut season has me experimenting in the kitchen and I think I have the perfect breakfast (for me anyway) that has taste plus life giving protein.

Best Protein Pancake Mixes - AskMen

2 servings which is 340 calories and 30g of protein, but instead of water I use

Walmart Grocery - Fairlife Milk 52 fl oz - Lactose Free Fat Free Skim Milk

1 serving which is 80 calories and 13g of protein. These make 5 smedium pancakes at 420 calories and 43g of protein. I put on it low calorie sugar free "maple syrup" which is 2.5 calories per tablespoon.

I eat 2 boiled eggs daily. Is it good or bad for my health? - QuoraH-E-B Mild Turkey Sausage Breakfast Roll, 16 oz – Central Market

On the side I throw in 2 sunny side up eggs (150 calories & 12g of protein) and HEB turkey breakfast sausage (110 calories & 13g or protein) and you're looking at....700 calories and 68g of protein for the meal. That fills me up until dinner but I'll still eat some seeds and fruit after the lunch workout with plenty of caloric space. 

• Hook 'Em 3

40 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Cut season has me experimenting in the kitchen and I think I have the perfect breakfast (for me anyway) that has taste plus life giving protein.

Best Protein Pancake Mixes - AskMen

2 servings which is 340 calories and 30g of protein, but instead of water I use

Walmart Grocery - Fairlife Milk 52 fl oz - Lactose Free Fat Free Skim Milk

1 serving which is 80 calories and 13g of protein. These make 5 smedium pancakes at 420 calories and 43g of protein. I put on it low calorie sugar free "maple syrup" which is 2.5 calories per tablespoon.

I eat 2 boiled eggs daily. Is it good or bad for my health? - QuoraH-E-B Mild Turkey Sausage Breakfast Roll, 16 oz – Central Market

On the side I throw in 2 sunny side up eggs (150 calories & 12g of protein) and HEB turkey breakfast sausage (110 calories & 13g or protein) and you're looking at....700 calories and 68g of protein for the meal. That fills me up until dinner but I'll still eat some seeds and fruit after the lunch workout with plenty of caloric space. 

I like Greg Doucette's pancake recipe. I use cinnamon raisin Ezekiel bread and add a scoop of vanilla whey powder. Walden farms zero calorie syrup is pretty good. 

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

I like Greg Doucette's pancake recipe. I use cinnamon raisin Ezekiel bread and add a scoop of vanilla whey powder. Walden farms zero calorie syrup is pretty good. 

I'm going to have to give it a shot. It seems like people really like it from the reviews I've read. I enjoy the simplicity of a premade mix most of the time, but the weekend will be here soon.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

God bless you.

As evidenced in other areas on this board, I am hard-headed as fuck.  Might as well use it to my advantage...

tenor.gif

On 3/15/2021 at 11:19 AM, Errestaurants said:

Watch your salt and carb intake. Drink more water. Or get some Clen, DNP or T3

Water is the magic bullet that people underestimate/ neglect to incorporate into their regimen.

16 hours ago, slorch said:

28 pounds lost in 42 days. 100%keto, no cheats. 20 or fewer carbs/ day

Goal is to lose 62 pounds. 

Pretty impressive, especially for 42 days worth of work.  I bet you lose another 20lbs before the rate slows down.

You can't outrun a bad diet. I lost 65 lbs in 2014 with Keto, and have kept it off with lazy keto.

I couldn't imagine a regular diet that included daily carbs. Also when I eliminated wheat all my aches and pains vanished.

I woke up this morning craving avocados for breakfast.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This may be more appropriate for one of the DT COVID threads, but any of you back in the gym? I’m fully vaccinated but don’t feel quite ready, though I’d like to get back soon. A trainer friend gave me some dumb bells when the pandemic hit last March, and with those I’ve been able to maintain some lean muscle mass but have lost a little bulk. A fuller weight routine with all the resources of a gym would help, but I also think getting back into my early morning gym routine would be good for psyche.

10 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Sure, but does a yoga class every day aid significantly in weight loss?

Depends on the intensity but it doesn't hurt. Also it has other benefits beyond weight loss. I took two semesters of it in college and even at that young age it greatly improved my body control and flexibility (of course). There's also a mental aspect of it that is beneficial to a rushed mind.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

This may be more appropriate for one of the DT COVID threads, but any of you back in the gym? I’m fully vaccinated but don’t feel quite ready, though I’d like to get back soon. A trainer friend gave me some dumb bells when the pandemic hit last March, and with those I’ve been able to maintain some lean muscle mass but have lost a little bulk. A fuller weight routine with all the resources of a gym would help, but I also think getting back into my early morning gym routine would be good for psyche.

I've been back in the gym full time since June. Getting my first vaccine shot this morning. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

You can't outrun a bad diet. I lost 65 lbs in 2014 with Keto, and have kept it off with lazy keto.

I couldn't imagine a regular diet that included daily carbs. Also when I eliminated wheat all my aches and pains vanished.

I woke up this morning craving avocados for breakfast.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Nutrition is 75% & Exercise is 25%. Starts in the kitchen. Thats what I tell people when they ask me about getting fit. You see lots of people in the gym everyday doing cardio & some weight training but seem to never change their body composition. I would also add what's important is having a plan/program to follow so you can chart your progress. Many people go to the gym and just kinda do this or that everyday. 

On 3/22/2021 at 10:49 AM, Gene Parmesan said:

Once your brain and body have adapted to dietary ketosis, you'll have jedi-like mental clarity and energy. It's surreal how consistent your energy level becomes after about 6 weeks in ketosis.  And fatige/feeling bad is a lack of electrolytes, get some lite salt which is basically potassium and mix it in a water bottle and chug it, along with some pickle juice or saltwater.  Throw in some magnesium that ends in -ate (maleate, citrate) and that's the trifecta.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1