2021 Body Transformation Thread

troph

Jesus fuck. I’m turning off notifications from this thread after I say this:

If you have appetite issues, the absolute last fucking thing you need to do is drink a protein shake let alone three. The digestion of isolate protein is slow, when combined with dairy it is incredibly slow. So you will actually feel satiety much longer from the shake as opposed to eating whole food, thus contributing even further to your alleged problem. You fucks are a salesman’s wet dream. YOU. DON’T. NEED. PROTEIN. SHAKES. IF. YOU. AREN’T. EATING. FOOD. FOR FUCK SAKE!

You don’t have to listen to me. But for the love of all holy fuck go find ANY writings or podcasts by the likes of Dr. Layne Norton, Dr. Mike Israetel, Dr. Spencer Nadolsky, Stan Efferding, Hany Rambod, Chad Nicholls, Dr. Brad Schoenfeld, or Ben Carpenter.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

If you have appetite issues, the absolute last fucking thing you need to do is drink a protein shake let alone three. The digestion of isolate protein is slow, when combined with dairy it is incredibly slow. So you will actually feel satiety much longer from the shake as opposed to eating whole food, thus contributing even further to your alleged problem. You fucks are a salesman’s wet dream. YOU. DON’T. NEED. PROTEIN. SHAKES. IF. YOU. AREN’T. EATING. FOOD. FOR FUCK SAKE!

You don’t have to listen to me. But for the love of all holy fuck go find ANY writings or podcasts by the likes of Dr. Layne Norton, Dr. Mike Israetel, Dr. Spencer Nadolsky, Stan Efferding, Hany Rambod, Chad Nicholls, Dr. Brad Schoenfeld, or Ben Carpenter.

You're an angry elf. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

But for the love of all holy fuck go find ANY writings or podcasts by the likes of Dr. Layne Norton, Dr. Mike Israetel, Dr. Spencer Nadolsky, Stan Efferding, Hany Rambod, Chad Nicholls, Dr. Brad Schoenfeld, or Ben Carpenter.

Did any of them attend Juilliard?

On 5/4/2021 at 8:37 PM, Herbie Hancock said:

Actually, in comparison to casein, whey isolate is a relatively quick digestive which is why it's recommended to drink casein at night to allow digestion while you sleep.

But cool.

• Hook 'Em 1

Man, this thread has everything:

Hardcore body builders using all kind of supplements, middle aged fat assess looking to drop 3 bills, people who hate running, people who love running, guys looking to drop a couple of pounds and hit some weights, know nothings, and know it alls. 

Transformation means different things to different people.

I think some of us have transitioned from transformation into basically a specific fitness hobby requiring unique protocols etc. that become more intense and time consuming not unlike a regular serious hobby like playing the guitar, growing prize orchids, or fly fishing.  Thread will become derailed accordingly.

Nevertheless, there is good info, inspiration, and affirmation here aplenty.  Carry on.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 4/29/2021 at 10:42 AM, F250 said:

The ground is soaked today and I am going to opt out of sprints today and just do jump rope. I have a 1/4 and 1/2 pound rope and was curious if anyone has tried those 3 pound ropes.

If so, is there any noticable cardio benefit or does it just engage your back muscles more?

I don't know anything about jumping rope, but I too have had sprinting interrupted by weather or injury.  

I often substituted what is called the 123 workout, which consist of 1 pull up, drop to to do 2 push ups, rise and do 3 air squats. Repeat alternating between pull ups and chin ups for 20 timed minutes.

Back when I did these regularly my PB was 84 sets and when in lesser shape perhaps 40-50 sets.

The sprinting effect does not happen until about the last 5 minutes which are brutal. I always found the transition from push up to squats the most difficult aspect.

I mixed in box steps in lieu of squats and sometimes experiment with rings, climbing holds, or straps on the pull up/chin ups.

You are in really good shape is you can do 50 with good form.  Keep a towel nearby, the bar will get slippery and you will sweat like you are in a Cecil B. Demille movie.

Not necessarily fat but definitely a little overweight at 34.  Decided to get into better shape and tone up my body so started going to the gym this week for the first time in my life.  I've been using the stair climber machine since my family always goes camping and hiking in the summer.  Also been lifting some weights.  Holy shit every muscle in my body hurts right now.  It hurts to move anything.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, txhorns said:

Not necessarily fat but definitely a little overweight at 34.  Decided to get into better shape and tone up my body so started going to the gym this week for the first time in my life.  I've been using the stair climber machine since my family always goes camping and hiking in the summer.  Also been lifting some weights.  Holy shit every muscle in my body hurts right now.  It hurts to move anything.

Ha. 35 same situation. I'm 6'2 and usually hover around 215-220 which is obese by BMI standards but I guess I carry it well since I don't think I look fat, but certainly no model. 

Anyways I'm attacking intake first by eating a very low calorie diet. Between 500-750 calories/day. Those calories are generally limited to items of protein, but I wouldn't call it a Keto diet or anything.  Went from 213 lbs on 4/18 to 201 as of this morning with some cheat days mixed in for special occasions. Slowly trying to mix in a bit more physical activity since working from home has drastically decreased movement.  Hoping to get to 195 or so in another couple weeks and then slowly increasing calories while increasing some sort of new daily exercise. Not looking forward to that part.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Between 500-750 calories/day.

WTF????

Starvation is not a valid method for losing fat and increasing your health. Dropping 12 pounds in less than a month is not a good idea either, it's actually pretty fucking terrible.

At your size your Basal Metabolic Rate is easily over 2,100 calories with a full blown sedentary lifestyle. You are not even getting half of the required calories for your body to properly function.

https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/basal-metabolic-rate/

"American College of Sports Medicine RecommendationsThe American College of Sports Medicine takes BMR requirements seriously because of the potential dangers of insufficient caloric intake. Subsequently, they endorse a minimum net daily caloric intake of 1,200 for women and 1,800 for men. Factors such as age and height affect the exact number of calories a person needs per day however, so these numbers truly are only a guide."

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, F250 said:

WTF????

Starvation is not a valid method for losing fat and increasing your health. Dropping 12 pounds in less than a month is not a good idea either, it's actually pretty fucking terrible.

At your size your Basal Metabolic Rate is easily over 2,100 calories with a full blown sedentary lifestyle. You are not even getting half of the required calories for your body to properly function.

"American College of Sports Medicine RecommendationsThe American College of Sports Medicine takes BMR requirements seriously because of the potential dangers of insufficient caloric intake. Subsequently, they endorse a minimum net daily caloric intake of 1,200 for women and 1,800 for men. Factors such as age and height affect the exact number of calories a person needs per day however, so these numbers truly are only a guide."

This. Also, at his weight and height, it doesn't look like he really needs that much weight loss anyway. He just needs to improve his nutrition and find a sustainable and healthy style while adding exercise, particularly strength training. At most, I would target a slight caloric deficit (200 - 400 calories per day).  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Dahobbs said:

This. Also, at his weight and height, it doesn't look like he really needs that much weight loss anyway. He just needs to improve his nutrition and find a sustainable and healthy style while adding exercise, particularly strength training. At most, I would target a slight caloric deficit (200 - 400 calories per day).  

This is probably true. But it became a sense of pride when the wife said I couldn't do it and it won't work.  

7 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

This is probably true. But it became a sense of pride when the wife said I couldn't do it and it won't work.  

It doesn't work. That wasn't 12 pounds of fat that you lost.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/13/2021 at 9:15 AM, F250 said:

WTF????

Well, I guess I'm fucked. Just finished 30 days of One-Meal-Every-Other-Day. And walking six miles a day (most days). Dropped 25 pounds. Feel great. Plan to continue. Need to lose about 50 more. 🙂

Bernard

Edited by Bernard
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Bernard said:

Well, I guess I'm fucked. Just finished 30 days of One-Meal-Every-Other-Day. Dropped 25+ pounds. Feel great. Plan to continue. Need to lose about 50 more. 🙂

Bernard

Just know the risks . . . 

Very-low-calorie diets

Very-low-calorie diets (< 3360 kJ/d) are protein-sparing modified fasts and consist of commercial preparations subject to government regulations or specific foods, including meat, fish and poultry.70–72 These diets need to contain proteins of high biologic value (high in essential amino acids) to preserve lean body mass, essential fatty acids, and vitamin and mineral supplements. They must be prescribed and patients using them monitored weekly by a physician to avoid severe negative nitrogen balance and electrolyte changes associated with starvation.71

Very-low-calorie diets are restricted to people with a body mass index over 30 kg/m2, who face major health risks, and for whom other approaches have failed.70,71 Very-low-calorie diets result in an average weekly weight loss of 1.5–2.5 kg, compared with 0.4–0.5 kg with low-calorie diets.72 The average weight loss at 12–16 weeks on very-low-calorie diets is about 20 kg, compared with 8 kg on low-calorie diets.8,72 Use of very-low-calorie diets does not improve weight-loss maintenance;8 however, there is some disagreement on this issue.73,74 Very-low-calorie diets are not recommended beyond 16 weeks, when low-calorie diets should be initiated to assist the patient in returning to a normal eating pattern.

Very-low-calorie diets are associated with a variety of side effects and with numerous complications, such as cholelithiasis, loss of lean body mass, ketosis and increased serum uric acid concentrations due to severe negative energy balance.71 Sudden death can occur, rarely, in vulnerable patients with comorbidities, especially if the energy intake is less than 2520 kJ per day.75 Sudden deaths resulting from very-low-calorie diets in the 1970s were attributed to the poor quality of dietary protein; an inadequate supply of electrolytes, vitamins and minerals; and extended use without adequate medical supervision.73,75

Physicians can refer patients to a registered dietitian to receive a diet plan, or patients may consume commercial diet products (e.g., sachets), which are available on prescription. These formulations should not be confused with meal replacement products, which can be part of low-calorie diets. Low-calorie diets that use a meal replacement strategy (1 or 2 meals substituted with a commercial fortified product containing about 840 kJ) induced greater weight loss at 1 year (about 7%–8% of body weight) compared with the traditional low-calorie diets without meal replacements (3%–7% of body weight).76 Meal replacements and very-low-calorie diets can assist patients control energy intake by reducing the need to make decisions about food portion size.70

Overall, very-low-calorie diets present a number of medical risks but offer rapid weight loss. Intensive monitoring is required on the part of the physician, and patients must learn to maintain their weight loss when returning to normal eating patterns.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1319349/

Congratulations on your progress!  But know your limits, Master Wayne.

The Dark Knight Trilogy Wayne Enterprises / Characters - TV Tropes

Thanks, washpark. If I die, i'll let you know.

I once went 27 days during which I only ate two salads. One salad on day 10. One salad on day 20. No issues. Felt great. 48 hour fast is nothing.

I don't want to get in link posting battle, but surely you're aware I could post plenty of links quoting medical doctors outlining the benefits of fasting, right?

Bernard

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Bernard said:

Thanks, washpark. If I die, i'll let you know.

I once went 27 days during which I only ate two salads. One salad on day 10. One salad on day 20. No issues. Felt great. 48 hour fast is nothing.

I don't want to get in link posting battle, but surely you're aware I could post plenty of links quoting medical doctors outlining the benefits of fasting, right?

Bernard

And based on your experience does that fasting lead to long term, sustained weight loss?

2 minutes ago, destroya said:

And based on your experience does that fasting lead to long term, sustained weight loss?

Yes, based on my personal experience, extended fasting leads to sustained weight loss. You WILL lose weight. If you mean maintenance, once you've reached your goal weight, no. At that point, a new, weight maintenance eating plan must be employed.

Bernard

Tried to edit the above post, but ran out of time. He's what I wanted to add...

In 2018, I lost 70 pounds between New Years and St. Patrick's Day via fasting. Lost another 20+ pounds over the next several months too. Felt great. Then football season came around. And copious amounts of beer. And parties. And travel. Etc. Over the past few years, I gained a lot of that weight back, but is that fastings fault? I ate a lot of shit food in a large quantities. Now the scale is headed down again. Hopefully this time I'll have a better maintenance plan. 🙂

Bernard

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Bernard said:

but surely you're aware I could post plenty of links quoting medical doctors outlining the benefits of fasting, right?

Bernard

I have no doubt.

I am the product of living with a dietitian (MS RD) for too long.  Whatever works for you should always be the default in my book. 

Good luck. And nice job!

2 hours ago, Bernard said:

Tried to edit the above post, but ran out of time. He's what I wanted to add...

In 2018, I lost 70 pounds between New Years and St. Patrick's Day via fasting. Lost another 20+ pounds over the next several months too. Felt great. Then football season came around. And copious amounts of beer. And parties. And travel. Etc. Over the past few years, I gained a lot of that weight back, but is that fastings fault? I ate a lot of shit food in a large quantities. Now the scale is headed down again. Hopefully this time I'll have a better maintenance plan. 🙂

Bernard

Isn't this just yo-yo dieting?

I am with Washparkhorn, whatever works for you. But I feel like I should point out that this is unhealthy in hope that others take a more balanced approach.

13 minutes ago, F250 said:

Isn't this just yo-yo dieting?

It sure seems that way. Hopefully I have a better maintenance plan this time around. 🙂

I disagree that fasting for weight loss is unhealthy. I agree all the shit food and beer I ate/drank to gain the weight was unhealthy. I guess 50% is still an F though. 🙂

Bernard

Edited by Bernard
  • Hook 'Em 2

Run went great. 5k completed in 27:55 for a 9:01 per mile pace. Better than what I was anticipating. I finished 10th out of 49 in my division. Very content with that.

I was around 8:30/mile prior to being attacked by a dog last November then hit kind of a mental block with running until about 2 months ago. Happy with the successful finish and looking forward to getting better.

Keep up the good work guys! 🤘🏼

• Hook 'Em 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2021 at 2:22 PM, Bernard said:

Well, I guess I'm fucked. Just finished 30 days of One-Meal-Every-Other-Day. And walking six miles a day (most days). Dropped 25 pounds. Feel great. Plan to continue. Need to lose about 50 more. 🙂

Bernard

Down another 10 pounds since the above post. Up three notches on my belt since the start.

Bernard

• Hook 'Em 4

Jiggy-Z update:

From my previous post on my crazy one meal a day big salad, no alcohol, and walk 1 hr a day diet.

Previous summary:  Went from 202 to 186 in about three weeks.  Stalled out around 182 with a family vacation and fishing/camping trip also.

Wrist and elbows healing nicely should be ready for climbing as soon as I hit 180.  I am so tired of walking.

• Hook 'Em 3

Nice^. I’m down a few more as well. 197 as of this morning.  I’ve actually become quite accustomed to eating once a day, which is interesting, generally lunch.

I’m also fully now in the camp of what works for some doesn’t for others and vice a versa.  If I had try to do the normal calories but healthy eating and exercise, I doubt I would have seen such drastic results and may have dropped the pursuit altogether.

Few more pounds then on to some daily morning jogs and resistance bands at home with a bit more food.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/29/2021 at 9:59 AM, Enchubben said:

Nice^. I’m down a few more as well. 197 as of this morning.  I’ve actually become quite accustomed to eating once a day, which is interesting, generally lunch.

I’m also fully now in the camp of what works for some doesn’t for others and vice a versa.  If I had try to do the normal calories but healthy eating and exercise, I doubt I would have seen such drastic results and may have dropped the pursuit altogether.

Few more pounds then on to some daily morning jogs and resistance bands at home with a bit more food.

I agree.  This method was something I was forced into because of injury.  I tend to believe the exercise is more than just 10-20% of the equation and I usually go pretty intense on exercise and a little less on my diet.  It has been killing me.  Back in pre injury days I would love to do sprints, play ultimate frisbee, rock climb, boulder, and body weight stuff-now I just walk.  Might as well get some some of those thick soled shoes and go to the mall with the rest of the old folks.

I actually kind of  believe in "crash dieting" for the first couple of weeks in a weight loss program.  I think it can be motivational and kick start some habits like reduced alcohol that will take hold.  Of course, I have never been more than 25lbs overweight, so 2-3 weeks of quick results is all I gets before I need to start honing in on things.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

How many pounds can y’all drop ins month if you cut out booze? It’d be awful, but I’d consider it before rodeo next year. 

Hard to say how much weight in a month. You need to cut out a lot of other crap, and exercise would also help. But alcohol sucks in at least two ways – it’s a ton of empty calories, especially sugars, and it fucks up you body’s ability to metabolize food. 

Whenever I’ve done a dry January after the holidays, there’s been a noticeable loss in body fat.

On 4/29/2021 at 10:42 AM, F250 said:

The ground is soaked today and I am going to opt out of sprints today and just do jump rope. I have a 1/4 and 1/2 pound rope and was curious if anyone has tried those 3 pound ropes.

If so, is there any noticable cardio benefit or does it just engage your back muscles more?

Ordered a 3 pound jump rope off of Amazon, Proud Panda for about 30 bucks. I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and I will say that this rope definitely fucks. The 1/4 and 1/2 pound ropes are probably better for speed but the 3 pound rope will grind your ass while you do cardio. Definitely worth the money.

Do you ever wake up extremely hungry? Woke up this morning starving and made a 5 egg omelet and had a glass of Chocolate Mootopopia. Two hours later I made a turkey on wheat sandwich with 6 ounces of turkey as a snack. Had a Tuna steak and salad for lunch with greek yogurt. Then I felt satiated.

Every now and then when I modify my workout routine my body starts issuing orders. Consume protein and consume it now!

Do you ever wake up extremely hungry? Woke up this morning starving and made a 5 egg omelet and had a glass of Chocolate Mootopopia. Two hours later I made a turkey on wheat sandwich with 6 ounces of turkey as a snack. Had a Tuna steak and salad for lunch with greek yogurt. Then I felt satiated.
Every now and then when I modify my workout routine my body starts issuing orders. Consume protein and consume it now!

Yup. Some days I will chow down and others I’m good. Usually happens middle of the week.

Went for a run this AM.  I usually run sprints (or as much as a 42 year old man can sprint). 10 to 15 rounds.  30seconds on 60 seconds off.   I noticed the last few times my knee starting hurting but eventually loosened up.  This time not so much.

Google says it's an IT Band issue so I found some exercises and stretches from Athlean X.  Hopefully that and some rest will get me back next week.

My diet has been way too lax so I've started to re-read MarksDailyApple book for a reset.

TL;DR this is a Noom post. 

44, 6'1, former lifter turned dad bod. My "comfortable" weight is about 215. My "goal" weight is an in shape 200. Most of my post-kid life I've probably hovered in the 225-245 range. I'm no Herbie Hancock but I'm fairly well versed on the particulars and have been since I was "passionate" about working out 25 years ago. I also LIKE to work out, and I have a schedule that allows for it. My problem is my diet. And injuries. And motivation to truly do what is necessary to get into better shape. So I was going through another "off" phase, because with me in the past, it's either always 100% on, go to 11, or 100% off how many nights in a row can I order pizza? And I needed an ass kick to stop treating myself like shit - I was already back at the gym but the pizza thing was pretty bad. I had heard of noom. I wasn't ever interested in paying for anything, because 1, scam and 2, I know what the fuck I need to do. I heard a little more about it, probably a marketing cue from the fucking Russians that are spying on my internettings, and part of that was that it was psychological. I thought about that for a few days. I was considering it. And then I thought what the fuck, what do I have to lose, I'm not fucking surly poor, I don't even remember what it cost. Cost is not a factor. So fuck it. 

I don't know if it works, I don't know if I like it yet. I still like the approach. We all know what the fuck to do, every single one of us can do something. But it's the motivation, the excuses - it IS psychological in 90% of cases. Right? At the end of the day, it's supposed to help fix your brain. So I can be like hey, I don't need to eat less than 6 carbs a day for 6 days and then eat an entire brisket with a pizza on top for breakfast on Saturdays. I can just eat that piece of fucking pizza. I might eat 2. And maybe I eat something lighter later to help compensate. Or maybe I say fuck it and forget about it when I wake up and go back to eating mostly decent again?

So that's kind of the premise. A lot of it is common sense, but despite poor attempts at humor the way the lessons tie everything together works and is logical. There are other, physical components that help with the psych stuff, of course. And with the physical stuff, like the actual weight loss. I'm far from any kind of a victory lap but I started on May 1 at 243 and today I'm 223. I'm doing ok with it but I know it's fragile. Think about the things that have made you "give up" on a fitness endeavor in the past. Sometimes it's just a fuck it. Sometimes - for me, anyway - something in real life goes bad. And I'm like fuck it, I'm getting drunk and getting Door Dash tonight, and then it spirals. Often for me it's an injury ('well fuck it, if I can't work out, why am I going to eat well?'). I can also report that about 2 weeks ago I pulled a lat or something and I haven't been able to get back to the gym because of it. But I'm still going on the "lifestyle change", still losing lbs, no real thoughts of quitting. Trying to build better habits.

I thought I'd post after reading some of the extreme examples in this thread, because the mindset is pretty familiar to me.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Kind of piggybacking on what @Baboontyme says, getting on the right path is 100% psychological. You have to have the right mindset to set yourself up for long term success. Don’t think of it as a diet, but a lifestyle change. Find out what works for yourself and stick with it. I found that when I saw success, the motivation to continue exponentially grew and it just builds on itself. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

TL;DR this is a Noom post. 

44, 6'1, former lifter turned dad bod. My "comfortable" weight is about 215. My "goal" weight is an in shape 200. Most of my post-kid life I've probably hovered in the 225-245 range. I'm no Herbie Hancock but I'm fairly well versed on the particulars and have been since I was "passionate" about working out 25 years ago. I also LIKE to work out, and I have a schedule that allows for it. My problem is my diet. And injuries. And motivation to truly do what is necessary to get into better shape. So I was going through another "off" phase, because with me in the past, it's either always 100% on, go to 11, or 100% off how many nights in a row can I order pizza? And I needed an ass kick to stop treating myself like shit - I was already back at the gym but the pizza thing was pretty bad. I had heard of noom. I wasn't ever interested in paying for anything, because 1, scam and 2, I know what the fuck I need to do. I heard a little more about it, probably a marketing cue from the fucking Russians that are spying on my internettings, and part of that was that it was psychological. I thought about that for a few days. I was considering it. And then I thought what the fuck, what do I have to lose, I'm not fucking surly poor, I don't even remember what it cost. Cost is not a factor. So fuck it. 

I don't know if it works, I don't know if I like it yet. I still like the approach. We all know what the fuck to do, every single one of us can do something. But it's the motivation, the excuses - it IS psychological in 90% of cases. Right? At the end of the day, it's supposed to help fix your brain. So I can be like hey, I don't need to eat less than 6 carbs a day for 6 days and then eat an entire brisket with a pizza on top for breakfast on Saturdays. I can just eat that piece of fucking pizza. I might eat 2. And maybe I eat something lighter later to help compensate. Or maybe I say fuck it and forget about it when I wake up and go back to eating mostly decent again?

So that's kind of the premise. A lot of it is common sense, but despite poor attempts at humor the way the lessons tie everything together works and is logical. There are other, physical components that help with the psych stuff, of course. And with the physical stuff, like the actual weight loss. I'm far from any kind of a victory lap but I started on May 1 at 243 and today I'm 223. I'm doing ok with it but I know it's fragile. Think about the things that have made you "give up" on a fitness endeavor in the past. Sometimes it's just a fuck it. Sometimes - for me, anyway - something in real life goes bad. And I'm like fuck it, I'm getting drunk and getting Door Dash tonight, and then it spirals. Often for me it's an injury ('well fuck it, if I can't work out, why am I going to eat well?'). I can also report that about 2 weeks ago I pulled a lat or something and I haven't been able to get back to the gym because of it. But I'm still going on the "lifestyle change", still losing lbs, no real thoughts of quitting. Trying to build better habits.

I thought I'd post after reading some of the extreme examples in this thread, because the mindset is pretty familiar to me.  

I am the same way.  I like for things to work and be constantly positively reinforced either with progressive weight loss or failing that temporarily,  increased performance in chosen endeavor.

I too never really have paid for a program until I got on a complete scheduled mobility program.  The only downside is that I can only work on two areas at a time and each area takes 12 weeks, but it is all scheduled out with some flex time and there are how to and follow alongs. I have set up a log book and printed out and taped the schedule and routines into the book for reference an portability.  There is just something about having actual pencil and paper to keep track of things rather than have it all be logged into an app or whatever....kind of like porn, I guess.

Anyway, mobility work sucks, so it is nice to have a guide and some extra motivation, like in a paid weight loss program.

One thing that has helped me and I think will help you too, is not to limit your goals to just one type of performance goal.

In my case, I had multiple upper limb injuries, so I got into mobility work to reprogram things and started walking and eating better.  Injuries are healing and I am losing weight but it is a struggle but I hope it will be worth it when it pays off with fewer injuries down the line and a return to sport.  Sometimes you just have to shift modes.

So when I get injured or fall off a diet, I can usually pick up in some other area that is somewhat unrelated.

I have identified a few major pillars (for me):  Mobility, flexibility, strength, diet, alcohol, sleep, stress, sport, and record keeping.

All of these are pretty self explanatory, except for record keeping.  Record keeping has been a real positive because it keeps me motivated and it has allowed me to realize that when I do falter, often it is not for as long as I think, or the gains lost are not as bad as I thought they would be and I can pick up right where I left off with only a few days  until I am back where I was or even farther along after some unplanned rest. Case in point: Over the last few weeks when it was raining I had no desire at all to walk, so I didn't.  I drank more than usual too but still kept up with my mobility work even doing a little extra.  When I got a break in the weather, I had to go clear some limbs and do some chainsaw work-hey it all counts.  In the end I gained six lbs over two weeks, but I got back to things and within a weekish I was back down that same 6 lbs, some of which was obviously water weight.  The point is, once you start keeping track of things there are patterns that emerge so you are kind of prepared for setbacks which are not really setbacks at all.

Sport is important too.  For me it is why I want to weigh less and work on those other things.  Sport, unlike working out, or dieting or record keeping or even sleeping is a hidden workout in disguise, except it is fun and does not feel like work.  The more of that you can do the easier things will be.

• Like 2

On 6/8/2021 at 6:29 PM, Post Oak said:

Went for a run this AM.  I usually run sprints (or as much as a 42 year old man can sprint). 10 to 15 rounds.  30seconds on 60 seconds off.   I noticed the last few times my knee starting hurting but eventually loosened up.  This time not so much.

Google says it's an IT Band issue so I found some exercises and stretches from Athlean X.  Hopefully that and some rest will get me back next week.

My diet has been way too lax so I've started to re-read MarksDailyApple book for a reset.

I'd been having all sorts of problems with my knees.  They're both reconstructed (ACL), so I assumed I was just stuck with it as I got older.  One day I went down the YouTube wormhole to see if there was anything I could do to lessen the pain.  I came across one that spoke to IT band pain.  Anyway, I followed the routine, and it worked unbelievable well.

I have a plastic (not foam) roller that has ridges and doesn't give.  One of the bits of advice that the guy gave when rolling your IT was that the spots that kind of hurt to roll are the spots that need the rolling the most.  When I roll my ITs before cycling or soccer, I hit those spots hard to the point at which I'm sweating due to the pain.  It works.  

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 2:40 PM, Jiggy-Z said:

I am the same way.  I like for things to work and be constantly positively reinforced either with progressive weight loss or failing that temporarily,  increased performance in chosen endeavor.

I too never really have paid for a program until I got on a complete scheduled mobility program.  The only downside is that I can only work on two areas at a time and each area takes 12 weeks, but it is all scheduled out with some flex time and there are how to and follow alongs. I have set up a log book and printed out and taped the schedule and routines into the book for reference an portability.  There is just something about having actual pencil and paper to keep track of things rather than have it all be logged into an app or whatever....kind of like porn, I guess.

Anyway, mobility work sucks, so it is nice to have a guide and some extra motivation, like in a paid weight loss program.

One thing that has helped me and I think will help you too, is not to limit your goals to just one type of performance goal.

In my case, I had multiple upper limb injuries, so I got into mobility work to reprogram things and started walking and eating better.  Injuries are healing and I am losing weight but it is a struggle but I hope it will be worth it when it pays off with fewer injuries down the line and a return to sport.  Sometimes you just have to shift modes.

So when I get injured or fall off a diet, I can usually pick up in some other area that is somewhat unrelated.

I have identified a few major pillars (for me):  Mobility, flexibility, strength, diet, alcohol, sleep, stress, sport, and record keeping.

All of these are pretty self explanatory, except for record keeping.  Record keeping has been a real positive because it keeps me motivated and it has allowed me to realize that when I do falter, often it is not for as long as I think, or the gains lost are not as bad as I thought they would be and I can pick up right where I left off with only a few days  until I am back where I was or even farther along after some unplanned rest. Case in point: Over the last few weeks when it was raining I had no desire at all to walk, so I didn't.  I drank more than usual too but still kept up with my mobility work even doing a little extra.  When I got a break in the weather, I had to go clear some limbs and do some chainsaw work-hey it all counts.  In the end I gained six lbs over two weeks, but I got back to things and within a weekish I was back down that same 6 lbs, some of which was obviously water weight.  The point is, once you start keeping track of things there are patterns that emerge so you are kind of prepared for setbacks which are not really setbacks at all.

Sport is important too.  For me it is why I want to weigh less and work on those other things.  Sport, unlike working out, or dieting or record keeping or even sleeping is a hidden workout in disguise, except it is fun and does not feel like work.  The more of that you can do the easier things will be.

I'm really interested in mobility work. can you expand on it? 

I was thinking about this yesterday. I'm no spring chicken but I'm not in TERRIBLE shape, even 21 lbs ago. But man, the injuries that just crop up. I know I have bad knees from hooping. And the other shit is just non stop - the elbow tendinitis often when I lift heavy. The lower back. The neck pain - this is creeping back in. A couple of summers ago I had a neck spasm so bad I literally could not do anything but lay on the couch for a month. I don't want that to happen again. I was first thinking maybe I should sign up for some yoga? Never done it. Then I was thinking should I see about hiring someone who can help me address each of these areas as part of my other fitness goals? Who the hell would be qualified to do that? I do not want to just skip from orthopedic surgeon office to orthopedic specialist office and be given a z pack and a dose of PT for each ailment. What are my options? 

27 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

I'm really interested in mobility work. can you expand on it? 

I was thinking about this yesterday. I'm no spring chicken but I'm not in TERRIBLE shape, even 21 lbs ago. But man, the injuries that just crop up. I know I have bad knees from hooping. And the other shit is just non stop - the elbow tendinitis often when I lift heavy. The lower back. The neck pain - this is creeping back in. A couple of summers ago I had a neck spasm so bad I literally could not do anything but lay on the couch for a month. I don't want that to happen again. I was first thinking maybe I should sign up for some yoga? Never done it. Then I was thinking should I see about hiring someone who can help me address each of these areas as part of my other fitness goals? Who the hell would be qualified to do that? I do not want to just skip from orthopedic surgeon office to orthopedic specialist office and be given a z pack and a dose of PT for each ailment. What are my options? 

Well first off, there is nothing wrong with yoga.  I know little about yoga, but I know that it gets my whole body moving, and I have not gotten injured from it and i feel better after doing.  That being said, it is like anything else, that you need to practice it regularly to get the benefits from it.  Also, it is not straight up mobility work.  My rock gym has classes and that is what I would be doing if I could in lieu of walking all of the time.  The separate studio stuff is not for me.

I have been disappointed with ortho docs and PT over the years.  Basically I get injured, go to PT and it improves a little bit, but I feel like the root cause is never addressed or at least really rooted out as something that can or cannot be fixed/improved.

Mobility is defined as what range of motion you have unassisted or active as opposed to flexibility which requires assistance to get into end range of movement.  Flexibility is generally much easier to improve than mobility.  Often times we have the requisite flexibility to do certain movements but lack the muscle control to execute on our own with out assistance.

Compounding the problem, is that often weakness in one area (say shoulder) translates to issues/pain elsewhere down the chain (elbow) or downchain weakness in the wrist can also cause problems with the elbow.  Or the weakness could originate in the back or the hips.  So it can get pretty complicated real quick even if you are an MD.

So for you, I would address any acute pain right away by stopping the things that are causing it and get on top of it with a few days of advil or aleive.  In the meantime do some low impact activities and try to improve your diet.  then you can start with mobility work.

There is a ton of info out there on the net and some of it is very good and will work.  The problem I found was that I could never just get it all in one place and keep to a schedule.  Mobility work is slow and unpleasant and seemingly unrewarding compared to gaining quick flexibility, or losing weight, or gaining some pull up reps. So you can feel like you are floundering even when you are not.  If you have enough discipline and research skills the info is out there and you can do it, but I could not keep with anything long term enough to work until I got in a program.

The one I use is Precision Movement.  They have a ton of free stuff on YouTube to give you an idea of what you are dealing with.  Even that content I found was just like all of the other good mobility stuff on the net, stand alone and not full integrated subject to loss of momentum after a short while.  I went ahead and splurged on their full Academy rather than on any individual classes since I have so many areas to work on.  The full Academy was $400 and it will take me a couple of years to work through the Control series.  There are additional flexibility series and and strength classes included as well and those would take another 2-3 years to work through.  There is good support and forums and such but I have not needed them yet.

They recommend  you only work on two classes at one time, but I have dabbled in up to three and eventually dropped back to two.

I have been at it seriously for almost 4 months and I am not healed fully ( i started with climbers elbow in both arms, a wrist issue, and a shoulder issue-these were my hot button problems but I have others)  All have improved greatly.  In fact just yesterday I took down 6 trees from the freeze and was picking up heavy boulders for transport in a wheelbarrow.  That work would have normally left me sore and with a backache or neck pain and I have none.  In fact while I was doing the boulder work I could feel the power and control in all of those formerly unused muscles in my shoulders, yet it was not about physical strength but control of motion and proper activation.  It is kind of weird to explain, since that was the first time I did anything really physical in months.  My left elbow was sore but my right was not. Wrist felt great and that has been bothering me for a over a year now.  I intuitively feel it is not ready for climbing, but I am on schedule in about a month.

I am about 4 weeks out from finishing upper limb control and shoulder control.  After that I will probably shift to back  and hips.  after that lower limb and something else.  Hope this rambling diatribe helps and makes some sense.  Any specific questions?

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 1:03 PM, South Austin said:

Employing bad form to lift heavier weight for the purpose of trying to impress the guy or girl next to you or giving your own confidence a boost is a sure way to get injured.  

My son's were joking about this meme and it reminded me of this post.

K38aG5h108H7P1682694185VUI192Yr22nR7Z413

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 8:41 AM, Bernard said:

Down another 10 pounds since the above post. Up three notches on my belt since the start.

Bernard

Down another 10 pounds since the above post. Down 45 overall. Up another notch on my belt too. Took a break from my One-Meal-Every-Other-Day eating plan due to a Maine vacation filled with lobster feasts and cold beer. Now back on board.

Currently 6’ 5” and 255 lbs. Not done yet. I’m pretty happy in the 230-240 range, although I weighed 210 the first day I walked on UT campus in 1987. How far can the yo-yo fall? Time will tell.

Bernard

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 9:19 AM, Bernard said:

Down another 10 pounds since the above post. Down 45 overall. Up another notch on my belt too. Took a break from my One-Meal-Every-Other-Day eating plan due to a Maine vacation filled with lobster feasts and cold beer. Now back on board.

Currently 6’ 5” and 255 lbs. Not done yet. I’m pretty happy in the 230-240 range, although I weighed 210 the first day I walked on UT campus in 1987. How far can the yo-yo fall? Time will tell.

Bernard

Way to go.

Not sure I could do every other day.  Currently back on OMAD.  Big Ass Salad, No Alcohol, and Walk everyday.  Can't wait to start climbing again.

I'm just getting back on this. I was on a good path in March 2020, and then the pandemic hit. Gained 20# during the pandemic and didn't go back to the gym until they dropped the mask mandate at the end of May.

I tend to lose weight when i track my calories and weigh myself regularly and i gain weight when i don't. So I'm doing both as well 16/8 intermittent fasting. So far, so good.

I'm more than a little mad at myself for giving up all the progress i had made, but nothing i can do about that now.

You know what's real annoying? When you decide to start working out again in hopes of dropping some lbs by end of summer and head to your neighborhood Y for the first time in a month only to be informed the gym area is closed for a total remodel through early August. Probably a sign I should at least skim the emails I receive from them.