Any Players of Older Online Games? Team Fortress 2, Quake, Tribes, Battlefield (1940s, etc.)

atomheartbevo

Just curious if anybody else is playing some older games online.

I'm doing it partly out of nostalgia - those games are really polished, and just as much fun as they were years ago.  

But I'm also doing it because of the fact that I'm currently stuck with an 8 year-old GPU in a decent PC for the time being.

I'm playing TF2,  which has a massive online presence, and going to get around to Tribes 2 and Battlefield 1942.

Edited by atomheartbevo

• atomheartbevo changed the title to Any Players of Older Online Games? Team Fortress 2, Quake, Tribes, Battlefield (1940s, etc.)
1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

I logged in to ancient anguish about 2 years ago and played for a few weeks. Was surprised a 25-30 year old MUD was 1) still running, 2) had a few live people logged in and 3) still had new content/areas being added. 

Ultima Online has a free-to-play component, and is still online after 23 years as well, with new content/areas being added.

Then again, I know roughly how much they are bringing in every month, and they are running off of Amazon's AWS offerings, keeping their costs low, so they should be able to do a few things to keep it updated.

I could write a manifesto on how they could double or triple UO's player base, but kudos to the folks keeping it running alone.

On 3/10/2021 at 9:42 PM, NorthLoop said:

I didn't realize this was a thing. I used to dominate TF and Quake II back in the day even on a shitty modem. I will be looking into this. 

7 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

TF2 is still the most team-oriented game I've played. Don't play it much any more, but when enough people show up to have a solid team, game on.

TF2 is still a lot of fun, outside of coming across assholes shooting through the walls.

And Valve made it easy to sell shit you were never going to use or open - I have a collection of crates and items up for sale, for around $150.  One crate is around $85 or so.  Did not realize they had made it so easy to sell your inventory - I was trying to clean up my backpack, and there was a "sell on the marketplace" or whatever tab, and it took me right into the marketplace, with info on sales trends, etc.  Setup the mobile authenticator and started selling (still have my sales held for 7 days or something because I haven't had the authenticator setup for a week).

Don't know if I can cash that $150 or so out (assuming everything sells, and it should, as I checked the trends and prices), but even if that's just $150 or so of Steam credit, that's a very niiice.

Look for Crate #50.  Those are selling for $75 - $90.

11 hours ago, NoName said:

You can't cash out to $$ but you can keep steam credit

I miss playing TF2 more than any game I've played, used to watch competitive pretty often but that has stagnated...what a great game

If I get Steam credit, I'm perfectly fine with that, as I buy enough from there.

You should come back.  It's fun if you do the "Casual" track or whatever, in the matchmaking (I haven't tried the others, but casual fits what I do - pop in and out of random servers and play for a while).  While bots do pop up, they are usually very obvious and get booted.

I was surprised at how easily I slid back into it, and even with my older gear, I was doing fine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 7:39 PM, Hate said:

I used to love Tribes.  My favorite thing was to find a peak somewhere and snipe the other team when they were leaving their base. 

I played the shit out of Tribes for a while. Two memories I have are aerial/jet pack disc launcher battles, and teammates destroying the ammo/health/armor etc refill stations. From what I remember, friendly fire was off, but you could damage your own team's shit inside the base. So people would be constantly trolling and others would constantly be repairing.

• Like 1

I didn't realize this was a thing. I used to dominate TF and Quake II back in the day even on a shitty modem. I will be looking into this. 

I used to run a clan for Team Fortress back in the late 90's. Ended disbanding it to start one of Counter Strike.

I remember when TF2 was one of the longer running vaporware games.

I played a bunch of Ultima Online back in the day, but Star Wars: Galaxies became my religion. There is an emulator that's pretty active (for a 20-year-old game that wasn't all that popular 20 years ago) called SWG:EMU, and I still play it from time to time.

3 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

I remember this, too. Weren’t there one or two  famous screenshots floating around? I remember thinking the concept sounded so cool. Then I never played it.

There was a trailer for the original Team Fortress 2 and I remember thinking it was bad ass. Instead of the red/blue soldiers the original TF2 was going to be soldiers in traditional BDUs more realistic than cartoonish. Looked badass and then years of disappointment went by before the actual TF2 was released. From what I recall, Valve ended up having to rewrite the entire game.

• 2 weeks later...

i played shit ton of quake 2 back in the day too.  got my sniping skills purely from using the railgun

On 4/21/2021 at 6:12 PM, mulletpelini said:

I'm surprised that unreal tournament doesn't get brought up.  Seems like that would fit the timeframe for most of us.

It came out the same year as 3D Lionel Traintown and Beavis and Butthead Do U, so it probably got lost in the shuffle for many here.

Seriously though, 1997 - 2000 was an amazing stretch of computer games, and it's easy to see how games like UT could get lost in the shuffle.

When it came out, I knew a lot of people who pirated it, and who played it, but weren't consumed by it. If I recall, it had some hefty requirements to make it look good.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This is a high kill modded (unlimited sprint, unlimited ammo, start with all the weapons, etc.) server.  There are still a few original style servers you can easily find with steam.  There is a very dedicated group of regulars at Pirates and legit pros drop in from time to time.  Weird good players.  

Pirate's Cove HL2 Deathmatch

I just downloaded CSGO so I'll start playing that.  

Edited by PRONG HORN

Q2 CTF was my favorite fps ever.  grab the autodoc and power armor and play defense with the double barrel shotgun.  go the entire round without dying absolutely demolishing anyone from the opposition who tried to grab our flag. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

I would love to see a completely updated Wing Commander series.  I played the crap out of those games and they are what got me into building and upgrading PCs back in the day.

Well, Chris Roberts, the guy behind the Wing Commander (and Freelancer) games did a little Kickstarter just over a decade ago.  Not sure if they ever delivered on the game he promised, I think he called it Star Citizen.  It seemed kind of ambitious at the time.

I'm happy that we finally got a decent Monkey Island sequel.  

The 90s were absolutely amazing for games - I know that everything now is photo-realism, 4K, etc., but yeah, there's a lot of 90s properties I'd love to see people make another run at - I always wanted sequels to the Ultima games as well, and Garriott is doing his own Shroud of the Avatar (similar to Roberts doing Star Citizen).

Oh, and I think we are getting a decent Dune 2 sequel.

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Well, Chris Roberts, the guy behind the Wing Commander (and Freelancer) games did a little Kickstarter just over a decade ago.  Not sure if they ever delivered on the game he promised, I think he called it Star Citizen.  It seemed kind of ambitious at the time.

fucking star citizen.

it was Chris Roberts. it raised $2m in kickstarter funds. it started production in 2011. it has raised more than $500m via crowdfunding as of Q3 last year. it has also raised another 50%+ m from investors.

it is still not out. it still has no release date. it is still in alpha.

(no, i have not backed it or paid for it or played it)

Edited by NoName
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Updates this past week include

https://www.teamfortress.com/?tab=updates

Added -unrestricted_maxplayers to raise the maxplayer count to 100 (feature is unsupported and not recommended)

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

i knew TF2 was making a come back now that ster_ made some new videos on it. he evidently streamed a 100 player server last night.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NoName said:

i knew TF2 was making a come back now that ster_ made some new videos on it. he evidently streamed a 100 player server last night.

They seemed to have been making progress on the bot problem, which he references. It's getting a lot of people back, because it got ridiculous for a while.

Still don't know the angle for the 100 players, but I'm looking forward to playing it in a week or two when I get some time.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Still don't know the angle for the 100 players, but I'm looking forward to playing it in a week or two when I get some time.

I've been playing a bunch of battlebit lately and the 64v64 and 127v127 servers are a unique and chaotically fun experience. With the small maps and insanity of a normal TF2 game, I'd bet 100 person servers are some great old school fun

Edited by Captainant

On 7/29/2023 at 9:18 AM, Captainant said:

I've been playing a bunch of battlebit lately and the 64v64 and 127v127 servers are a unique and chaotically fun experience. With the small maps and insanity of a normal TF2 game, I'd bet 100 person servers are some great old school fun

Feels like pyro would be the class to play up if you are in close quarters - it would be a blast to run through a ton of people with a flame thrower.

And soldier could rack up a lot of distant kills easily.