Matthew McConaughey Truly Considering Run for Governor

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Probably not in a Dem primary, but if he won that, then absolutely.

i was going to agree...but then i thought about how badly traditional democrats have 'competed' in this state the past couple of decades and changed my mind...

I'd actually totally vote for him in a primary. 

i mean the bar is pretty fucking low around here, why the fuck not? 🤘

• Hook 'Em 2

Normal Democrats can't seem to win in Texas and don't even put up good candidates most years.  If he's a Democrat and wins the primary, as @Beau Vine said, I will support him. 

Republicans love electing celebrities.  Maybe it would cause a few to cross over that normally wouldn't.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MoJames said:

What side of the aisle is he on? Assuming left leaning but didn't see anything mentioned in the article.

From what I've seen when he talks about politics he comes off as pretty moderate, anti-extremes on both sides guy. Of course in Texas he would be seen as solidly D, especially with his stoner guru self-actualization vibe.

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

From what I've seen when he talks about politics he comes off as pretty moderate, anti-extremes on both sides guy. Of course in Texas he would be seen as solidly D, especially with his stoner guru self-actualization vibe.

Yep, something you said, Unc, convinced me I would.

i think people will be surprised to find out that he's more on the right than he is on the left.

too lazy to post links but he's been on right wing podcasts. he told everyone to give trump a chance. he's slowly being more public with his christianity.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

There is only one question that matters to me: can he beat a Republican incumbent?

Here in CA, the governor's mansion is almost ALWAYS held by a Dem.  But CA absolutely needed (needs) some more fiscal responsibility/accountability than anyone in Sacramento has the stomach for.  So in an effort to bring some sanity to spending, we had to turn to a celebrity.  Still didn't work, but it was the only way to unseat the spendocrats (note- this harkens back to a time when the biggest difference in the parties was the fiscal approach.  Not this shitshow we have today.  Said former governor is as disgusted as anyone with the state of things).

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

yeah i was gonna post what crash did, i think he's more conservative leaning than liberal. 

Actual, real "Conservative" isn't a bad thing.  What is considered "Conservative" now is, i.e.  faux conservatives like Trump and the GQP.  

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

yeah i was gonna post what crash did, i think he's more conservative leaning than liberal. 

i think he is too, at least in this polarizing world...but he wouldn't have a chance in hell at winning an R primary.

so i do think it would be the Dem primary...or maybe an I? what did Kinky run as? 

i mean...he has a benevolent nature, is more TEXAN than fucking Cruz and Patrick, and already has more money/fame/power than most politicians in this state...i really don't see a downside.🤔

Dems in this state are terrible anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

20 years ago, he would have been a Schwarzenegger type R. Current Republicans love celebrities, but only celebrities who are both B list and assholes. MM is neither one.  "Can't we all just get along" is an entirely Dem thing now. Doesn't matter where he stands on economics or any of the old issues.  Even libertarian nice people are voting Dem these days. Hes a Dem.  The entire new GOP platform is "I want to be an asshole to other people."  That's it. It has no other platform planks. There are still a few old stragglers like Romney, but they are going the way of the dodo.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

yeah sure fine who even cares

This.

I voted for fucking Lupe.  The bar is quite honestly as low as it'll go when it comes to who I'd have voted for to replace any of the current big 5 (Abbott, Patrick, Paxton, Cruz, Cornyn).  

Obviously I don't have a vote in Texas anymore. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

If he's the Dem nominee, I'll also vote for him.

It's sad that our culture and political system have reduced many elections to a celebrity reality game show. Oops, I left out the dull-minded, easily distracted, ill-informed electorate. My bad. 

Shit.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

There is only one question that matters to me: can he beat a Republican incumbent?

That's it.  I've long ago given up on competence.  Now, I'm just looking for a candidate who meets the following standard -- "isn't a psychotic shitbag who hurts people for fun/political gain."  That's it.  Clear that bar, AND be able to replace the shitbags who DO hurt people for fun, and you've got my support.

It clearly isn't about policy anymore (the GQP doesn't really HAVE any policies......except things that reach the same endpoint of hurting the public).  It's about character, and I mean character at the most basic level of "are you a cruel asshole or not?"

If he can show that he can win, he'd have my support.

^^ This.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

i think people will be surprised to find out that he's more on the right than he is on the left.

too lazy to post links but he's been on right wing podcasts. he told everyone to give trump a chance. he's slowly being more public with his christianity.

Don't really care. I'd vote for him regardless of which party he runs on due to the simple fact that I believe him to be a genuinely good person. Unlike almost everybody else I've voted for, I've met him on multiple occasions, and I feel as though I know who he actually is rather than who he claims to be. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Don't really care. I'd vote for him regardless of which party he runs on due to the simple fact that I believe him to be a genuinely good person. Unlike almost everybody else I've voted for, I've met him on multiple occasions, and I feel as though I know who he actually is rather than who he claims to be. 

Exact same this, down to meeting/hanging with him twice over the years in Austin (though not recently, to be fair) ^^

This Republican would vote for him!

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Fuck You 1

30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This.

I voted for fucking Lupe.  The bar is quite honestly as low as it'll go when it comes to who I'd have voted for to replace any of the current big 5 (Abbott, Patrick, Paxton, Cruz, Cornyn).  

Obviously I don't have a vote in Texas anymore. 

If you made the effort to vote for Lupe then you cared more about her candidacy than she did. 

Texas Democratic politics are terrible, but Lupe's "campaign" was an absolute embarrassment.

A real celebrity like MM or a pseudo-celeb like Beto would be welcome by comparison.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

If you made the effort to vote for Lupe then you cared more about her candidacy than she did. 

Texas Democratic politics are terrible, but Lupe's "campaign" was an absolute embarrassment.

A real celebrity like MM or a pseudo-celeb like Beto would be welcome by comparison.

It was.  But anything is better than Abbott.  He's such a huge POS. 

• Like 1

Just now, bad_teammate said:

MM has the advantage of never having been a politician or expressed political beliefs or ideas. He can be a beautiful vessel into which potential voters pour whatever they want.

Also, if you subscribe to the idea that suburban wine-women vote corresponded directly to the moisture the candidate can elicit onto the panty, Beto was minor leagues compared to what MM will do for them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 3