Matthew McConaughey Truly Considering Run for Governor

Horn Under a Bad Sign

59 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It was a pretty long segment and mostly focused on the lingering impact of the disaster. 

If he wanted to run, reminding people of how fucked up Texas was during that storm is a good way of helping his candidacy.  People seem to forget that a whole lot of Republican leaders bailed on the state when shit went wrong, and that a whole lot of people that were involved were Abbott appointees.

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Man, I think that ship has sailed. If The Rock runs in 2024, does anyone anywhere honestly believe that he wouldn't win in a landslide? I think it's only a matter of time before the biggest offices are determined by who's the bigger celebrity. We're Americans; it's every we deserve. Politicians and corporations will just back who they think they can control.

It would be hilarious to see Dwayne Johnson run against Trump in 2024, he'd run and talk circles around Trump.

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It would be hilarious to see Dwayne Johnson run against Trump in 2024, he'd run and talk circles around Trump.

No no no no. In less than 3 months of the Biden Presidency it’s painfully obvious how valuable it is to put people in charge who actually know how to govern. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

It would be refreshing to see candidates of both parties that break from party lines on a few issues, making them unique and sincere rather than standard issue. MM’s has said things on some topic that seem liberal, on other topics sounding conservative, and on many topics sounding libertarian. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

When I first heard this, my initial response was "just promote UT and be an actor, you dope".

Then, I considered that the job responsibilities for Governor of Texas are largely symbolic.

I think MM would be terrible on policy matters.  Mainly because I don't think he gives a shit about making government work, just letting people do their thing and getting out of the way.   Which might be pretty bad for Texas.

I'd like to see him run as the headliner D, and let a lot of D coattail on him for RR Commissioner,  AG, Lt Gov, Board of Education and a host of representatives and senators.   Like Sizzle said, the governor of Texas does a lot more representing than governing.  He'd be ok at that if he felt confidence in those who came on board with him were competent and in line with his beliefs.   I don't see him doing this for the graft.  I don't even see it as a popularity play.  Seems to be pretty sincere.

15 hours ago, RPM said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeojezGxyX-rrkwVccb2t

If he ran as R, he'd never get out of the primaries, thanks to aggy.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

If he ran as R, he'd never get out of the primaries, thanks to aggy.

I don't know, MM has big D energy. I know of one aggy women that frequently uses "tu and sip" say MM would be her first Dem vote if he ran.

11 hours ago, RPM said:

ahem

quote-barry-goldwater.jpg

Ok, I see this meme all the time but did he ever actually fight them every step of the way?  If he did then he failed miserably, but at least he tried.  If not, then he was just another useless politician that talked a bunch of shit and did fuck all about it.

He had an interview with the Longview News Journal that kinda started this whole thing. Worth a watch. https://www.news-journal.com/news/local/matthew-mcconaughey-tells-the-longview-news-journal-where-he-stands-on-political-office/article_6dc7b36c-82a9-11eb-971c-63b5bf2c44be.html

He won’t run. He and my brother are pretty close (high school best friends) - I never talk to him but he isn’t going to grind out political fundraisers.  

His book is interesting. It actually sucks as a book but a good look at his viewpoint, which is a wanderer  

On 3/11/2021 at 12:37 PM, SquishMitten said:

^^ This.

Don't really care. I'd vote for him regardless of which party he runs on due to the simple fact that I believe him to be a genuinely good person. Unlike almost everybody else I've voted for, I've met him on multiple occasions, and I feel as though I know who he actually is rather than who he claims to be. 

Yep. I think he’d have a chance to be a really really really good governor. Or, it could be a disaster. I’ve readily liked the couple pods I’ve heard him on. He seems like a republican in California circles and a Democrat in Texas circles. I like the stuff he says about the worst of the progressives and intolerant on the left that I worry about have too much power going forward. 
He’s seemingly a good and decent

person with a genuine heart so that differentiates himself from anyone in the Trump orbit or who lined up to kiss his ass, aka 92.8% of the GOP. 
I’d very very very seriously consider voting for him regardless of party he runs in.  
his platform seems to be- let’s be normal and not assholes and be good to each other and not hate each other. I’m good with trying to see if that could possibly happen. 

On 3/11/2021 at 10:57 AM, Beau Vine said:

Probably not in a Dem primary, but if he won that, then absolutely.

I might actually vote for him in a D primary. The modern electorate favors partisanship over just about everything, but an electric personality is still a way l break through. Politics, at its core, is a popularity contest. Any Democrat 75 percent of Texas hasn't heard of right now is going to get rolled by Abbott.

He’s not qualified to be governor in any way shape or form.  Great ambassador for UT and Texas.  Zero qualifications to govern.

He’s an interesting person and not a complete dumbass.  Judging from his autobiography, he has spent his life having the world largely lay itself at his feet (mostly because of his looks, which is ridiculous but that’s the world we live in).  Maybe that would carry over into politics.

If he’s truly interested in politics he should run for mayor (or city council).  Otherwise he should spend the couple of years supporting actual politicians he aligns with and giving speeches (as Reagan did), then he can run for governor (although I still would not consider him qualified).

Based on what I have seen, I would not vote for Wooderson over Abbott, and I think Abbott sucks.  Wooderson would def have a chance to change my mind over the course of a campaign.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

He’s not qualified to be governor in any way shape or form.  Great ambassador for UT and Texas.  Zero qualifications to govern.

He’s an interesting person and not a complete dumbass.  Judging from his autobiography, he has spent his life having the world largely lay itself at his feet (mostly because of his looks, which is ridiculous but that’s the world we live in).  Maybe that would carry over into politics.

If he’s truly interested in politics he should run for mayor (or city council).  Otherwise he should spend the couple of years supporting actual politicians he aligns with and giving speeches (as Reagan did), then he can run for governor (although I still would not consider him qualified).

Based on what I have seen, I would not vote for Wooderson over Abbott, and I think Abbott sucks.  Wooderson would def have a chance to change my mind over the course of a campaign.

Well, constitutionally, the governor of Texas isn't charged with doing much governing.  

• Hook 'Em 2

The Governor of Texas reminds me a lot lately of the Louis C.K. bit about raising children.  He makes fun of those parents that think they can turn their child into a genius, or pro athlete, or the next President.  But it's not possible, we have to accept that.  You can't make an exceptional person through parenting alone.  But you can sure as shit fuck up a kid.  You can really ruin their chances for being a good person/good life straightaway.  

That's the Governor to me now.  He's constitutionally limited as to what he can do to help Texas, to make it a great state.  But he is sure as shit fucking up Texas at every possible turn lately.   

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/15/matthew-mcconaughey-texas-governor/?utm_campaign=trib-social&utm_content=1616095810&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

hmmm his politics really are a mystery...i think you can tell more about how he might approach governance by his actions... events he's appeared at, causes he supports, benefits he's organized, etc. he's definitely got a philanthropic/benevolent spirit. i honestly don't disagree with any of his quotes from this article.

as a person that has always voted person over party or platform, i remain intrigued 🤔

• 5 weeks later...

Matthew McConaughey may be a viable candidate for Texas governor; poll shows actor ahead of Abbott

McConaughey leads Gov. Greg Abbott, 45% to 33%. But his middle-of-the-road appeal may not open an easy path for him to November’s finale, experts warned.

Matthew McConaughey commands more support to be Texas’ next governor than incumbent Greg Abbott, according to a poll released Sunday by The Dallas Morning News and the University of Texas at Tyler.

However, the film actor and political newcomer could hit potholes in either major party’s primary if he enters next year’s governor’s race, the poll found.

For months, McConaughey has teased political pundits and TV talk show hosts with musings that he might enter politics in his home state.

If he were to take the plunge and run for governor, the poll found, 45% of Texas registered voters would vote for McConaughey, 33% would vote for Abbott and 22% would vote for someone else.

McConaughey’s double-digit lead over the two-term Republican incumbent is significant. The poll, conducted April 6-13, surveyed 1,126 registered voters and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 2.92 percentage points.

But 56% of Republican voters said they’d vote for Abbott, compared with only 30% for McConaughey.

While Democrats broke 66% to 8% for McConaughey, and independents 44% to 28%, more than twice as many Democratic primary voters — 51% — said they wanted a progressive candidate for governor than wanted a centrist — 25%.

That could pose a problem. McConaughey, who has criticized both major parties, has suggested he’s more of a moderate.

And in the GOP gubernatorial primary, that’s also not obviously a ticket to success. Solid majorities of poll respondents who described themselves as conservative, evangelical or retirement-age Republican primary voters said they’d vote for Abbott.

Only 20% of GOP primary voters preferred a more centrist Republican, and 18% wanted someone more like former President Donald Trump. Fourteen percent preferred someone more conservative than Abbott, who has been avidly courting the right wing of his party in recent weeks after several staunch conservatives, including former state Sen. Don Huffines of Dallas, were mentioned as possible challengers to him in the primary.

Some of the Trump supporters warm to celebrities, and that sentiment, along with the wishes of one-fifth of the primary electorate for a more moderate nominee, might open a lane in the GOP primary for McConaughey, said UT-Tyler political scientist Mark Owens, who directed the poll.

“Matthew McConaughey gets a huge boost from tremendous name recognition and recognition for what he does to help Texans and add to the celebration of the state’s successes,” Owens said. “Most of our survey respondents know his story, but many are waiting to see how he opens his next chapter.”

Mark Harp, a conservative independent voter from Midlothian, said McConaughey’s appeal is similar to Trump’s: He’s a political outsider with a message that the system is corrupt, ineffective and in need of reforms.

“He’s popular, he’s colorful, and he’s not afraid to tell it like it is,” said Harp, 47, a construction manager. “He has some of the same qualities of Donald Trump, and that will play well in Texas.”

Still, pollster Owens noted that in seven years as the state’s chief executive, Abbott has “held together a traditional coalition of Texas Republicans and independents who continue to support him.”

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2021/04/18/matthew-mcconaughey-may-be-a-viable-candidate-for-texas-governor-poll-shows-actor-ahead-of-abbott/?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true   (There's more in the article based on results of the UT-Tyler polls.  

Also this:

Matthew McConaughey defends election denial among Trump’s base

The Oscar winner said in a podcast interview that Trump supporters are being fed ‘fake news’ that keeps them in denial, while blasting the ‘illiberal’ left for being condescending.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/12/07/matthew-mcconaughey-defends-election-denial-among-trumps-base/

Personally, I think if he wants to put his hat in the ring, then start lower, like a county commish, or possibly a state rep.  

I think he should go for it. Hell, I’d probably even vote for him if he ran as a Republican. Anything to get rid of Abbott. However I’m not sure running as an independent will help him, so I’d love for him to run as a Dem. All I know is it’s time for a change. The Republicans have been in power way too long in Texas and need to be voted out. We need fresher ideas. I know they want us all to go back to the 1950’s but their policies are more like 1880’s. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

The Oscar winner said in a podcast interview that Trump supporters are being fed ‘fake news’ that keeps them in denial, while blasting the ‘illiberal’ left for being condescending.

I mean, I'm sorry.  I don't suffer fools gladly.  And no one should.

• Hook 'Em 1

A few months back, McConaughey retained the services of a rather notable marketing and political guru in Austin.  Mr. Roy Spence.  Roy doesn't work with Republicans.  That doesn't necessarily mean Matthew will run as a Democrat, but he sure as shit ain't running as a Republican.  Maybe Independent after all.  

19 minutes ago, lmao said:

Not quite on topic, but Dr.Drew is considering a run at Cali governor.

I had to google that person. Nope. Nope. Nope. I am not an eligible voter in California but nope.

I am amazed at how many people actually desire drama and chaos in their lives and elect people that also attract it like a magnet. Mind bottling that a practical intelligent person with devotion to accomplishing everyday results with positive outcomes for citizens is ignored and people see someone like Randy Quaid and go, "Yes! I'll vote for him!"

I had to google that person. Nope. Nope. Nope. I am not an eligible voter in California but nope.
I am amazed at how many people actually desire drama and chaos in their lives and elect people that also attract it like a magnet. Mind bottling that a practical intelligent person with devotion to accomplishing everyday results with positive outcomes for citizens is ignored and people see someone like Randy Quaid and go, "Yes! I'll vote for him!"
I see the jump to conclusions mats are finally taking off.

5 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:
10 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I see the jump to conclusions mats are finally taking off.

I can jump pretty high.