Big 12 quarterfinal: (3) Texas vs. (6) Texas Tech

Machinator

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Sure. But sure feels like they are really coasting off that Tech win in November.  Those losses to #123 Tulsa and to #174 ECU are so BAD. 

2 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

It's also probably pretty fun to play ONE ranked team all year.

Their schedule is shit. Exactly the type of team that gets bounced in the first weekend. Sampson is a good coach, but that team has probably played two tournament caliber teams all year. And fuck Tilman Fertitta. 

Watching Texas play Tech this year... can't remember being so frustrated watching a Texas team in a mid-season game.  McClung or however Danny Ainge spells his name -- he got about 10 free throws in the game in Austin that were complete bullshit.  One was a cleanly-blocked 3 right before the half, followed seconds later by a tech on the Texas bench for protesting the missed call.  Couple of absolute flops on 3-point attempts.  And a play down the stretch where he threw it off the glass to himself and they didn't call the travel... he got ball and got fouled at the rim.  And then to have him hit the game-winner.  That was a brutal loss.

Tonight felt like we were headed the same way.  8 fucking fouls to 1 to start the game, plus two loose balls that were given to Tech on blown calls.  Looked like two teams playing hard and giving about the same amount of contact as they were absorbing, but it was only getting called on one end.  Pretty bullshit first 10 minutes to sit through.   

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

No....just have to not watch.....when I watch, we don't do well.  Same as me and the stock market.....

yeah we can't take the chance you accidentally flip to the wrong channel.  maybe just unplug them.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Out coached. Again. This one is over. It may stay close, but Beard will now be 1-8 in his last 9 meetings against shaka

Where are you getting this stat from?

2017: 2-1

2018: 1-2

2019: 0-2

2020: 1-1

2021: 1-2

Shaka is 5-8 vs Beard. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

27 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

its a bit different with no fans.  they usually get all the calls in KC.

Attendance was listed at 2500 for the Kansas/OU game. The fans in attendance were certainly vocal, and will likely be the same tomorrow.

It sucks that KU gets to play in front of a home crowd every year in the conference tourney, but whatever. It doesn't suck as bad as their dumpster fire football team.

Updated Lunardi projections after the game, obviously worst case tomorrow is us losing/Okie State winning. Tough to see both ACC teams passing us, but looking like 60-70% chance of 3 seed as long as we don't get blown out tomorrow. 2 seed would require winning tomorrow/Arky and Houston not making conference championships probably, or flat out winning our conference title.

1 minute ago, HookEm said:

Shaka also deserves credit for sticking with Brock in the last 3 minutes. We lose that game without his defense and tipped balls. He was just the adjustment needed to match Tech’s hustle and offensive rebounding.

Yeah, that was an interesting decision. Tech hunted him on defense, and got a couple good shots out of it, but he made up for it with his hustle plays.

14 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Attendance was listed at 2500 for the Kansas/OU game. The fans in attendance were certainly vocal, and will likely be the same tomorrow.

It sucks that KU gets to play in front of a home crowd every year in the conference tourney, but whatever. It doesn't suck as bad as their dumpster fire football team.

Attendance listed as 3510 for the Texas game. Apparently the limit is 20% capacity, so we can expect probably close to 3800 KU fans for the game tomorrow.

14 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Updated Lunardi projections after the game, obviously worst case tomorrow is us losing/Okie State winning. Tough to see both ACC teams passing us, but looking like 60-70% chance of 3 seed as long as we don't get blown out tomorrow. 2 seed would require winning tomorrow/Arky and Houston not making conference championships probably, or flat out winning our conference title.

that is crazy. 5 of the top 15 seeds.   guess we are going to find out if the Big 12 really is all that.

2 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

No....just have to not watch.....when I watch, we don't do well.  Same as me and the stock market.....

Yeah it seems like when I watch we lose in spectacular fashion. When I dont watch they win far more often than they lose.

I am officially done watching after OU took the lead in Norman...

• Hook 'Em 1

Good game last night Horns.   I was laughing at the announcers just declaring Shaka has removed all heat on the seat because of their season long rankings; while imagining y'all throwing shit at the TV.   The game was a great example of why many are so frustrated with his coaching.  They blow the fucking doors off of people when they get it going and leverage their strengths.  That is countered by falling behind by 10 points in both halves.   It's fucking crazy.

Coleman is the player I enjoy watching/ fear the most on your squad.  Assassin.  Killer instinct. Will take shit over.  It's like he isn't allowed to do so until Texas is behind the 8-ball.  As an opponent, I just sit there watching Shaka drive his Ferrari around the track in 2nd gear, popping the clutch, and squealing the brakes on the straightaways... when the whole world can see how fucking talented the team is.

Good luck the rest of the way.  How 'bout an all-orange final in the Big XII Tournament CCG?

2 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

I haven’t been paying attention outside the Big XII and has no clue the Big 10 was considered to be that good.

All you need to know is Ohio state lost like 4 games in a row and didn’t budge on everyone’s bracket from that 2-line.  It’s ridiculous.  

8 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Remember the couple of years the tourney was in Dallas and those KU fagets complained to the heavens about the unfair advantage it gave the Texas teams. 

First of all, they should look at a map. Secondly, fuck KU. I hope we beat them by 75 tonight and Bill Self has explosive diarrhea that's so bad it makes his toupee pop off his head. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Teryor said:

Lunardi's graphic implies Baylor, Texas, and WVU in a single region.  While those might be the legitimate rankings for teams heading into the tournament, I don't see the committee seeding 3 teams from a single conference into the top-4 of a particular region.  Shuffling WVU to 16 or 17 solves that "problem."  I am definitely picking at nits.

3 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

Lunardi's graphic implies Baylor, Texas, and WVU in a single region.  While those might be the legitimate rankings for teams heading into the tournament, I don't see the committee seeding 3 teams from a single conference into the top-4 of a particular region.  Shuffling WVU to 16 or 17 solves that "problem."  I am definitely picking at nits.

Lunardi is pretty good at picking the 68 teams that make it in, but his seedings have always been trash.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Same. Turned that shit off midway through the second half. Looked like pure dogshit.

This team usually does not give up. They may lose in the end but they play their butts off in the final 10 min.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Rameys inbounds turnover was bad.. but... what he did happens 10x every game and is never called. 

The Tech guy inbounding the ball on the next fucking trip down the court did it! I was screaming at the TV. (That's not a defense of Ramey, his was terrible)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

The Tech guy inbounding the ball on the next fucking trip down the court did it! I was screaming at the TV. (That's not a defense of Ramey, his was terrible)

Yep I noticed that too. I didn't scream at the TV because at this point I'm used to shit like that going against us and not the other team. 

Also I was watching on my phone near a sleeping toddler and sleeping wife. 

8 hours ago, HookEm said:

Shaka also deserves credit for sticking with Brock in the last 3 minutes. We lose that game without his defense and tipped balls. He was just the adjustment needed to match Tech’s hustle and offensive rebounding.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

That wouldn't happen because of their guidelines about teams who have played each other 2+ times in the season not meeting before the S16 if they can help it, so that would put WVU at risk of being dropped to a 5 seed to avoid it. This (and geography in non-COVID years) is one of the primary reasons the teams don't get seeded exactly by the S-curve.

8 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Lol we won? I turned it off then fell asleep. Was expecting the fire Shaka to be the top thread then read “one of the toughest wins...”. I’m still shocked. 

Yeah, I'd like to apologize and also say you're welcome to the board. I watched the first half until we were down 30-22. Then saw the halftime score so tuned in for the second half until we were down 48-38.

So basically while I was watching we were outscored 48-26 and when I didn't watch we outscored them 41-18. My bad.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, I'd like to apologize and also say you're welcome to the board. I watched the first half until we were down 30-22. Then saw the halftime score so tuned in for the second half until we were down 48-38.

So basically while I was watching we were outscored 48-26 and when I didn't watch we outscored them 41-18. My bad.

Well sounds like your Friday night just cleared up and you should go out to dinner or something. A reservation somewhere nice around 830pm should work perfectly. 

• Hook 'Em 2

It's quite possible that the last 5-7 minutes of that game is the best Shaka has coached since he got here.  Now of course his overall all season, all career approach is what got him to a point where he needed to coach his balls off but he pulled all the right levers.  

So of course now that he has exhausted himself I expect a lot of dumbassery today.