alcoholic drink substitutes

BillyBadAss

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
On 5/14/2018 at 7:50 AM, SquishMitten said:

Saw thread title and came to post the exact thing. Nothing else comes close. And, don’t ask me why because I have no idea, but other sparkling shit doesn’t cut it.

San Pellegrino with lime in between beers for me.  Unfortunately, Topo Chico didn't do so well on the PFAS levels by comparison.

https://honehealth.com/edge/nutrition/pfas-in-sparkling-water/

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

I'm wondering if one of those home soda things is worth the time.

I had one years ago.  The CO2 bottle exchange was a PITA.  The only way I would have one now would be a sodarator.

• Hook 'Em 1

For the OP:  Topo is great.  HEB's version is good, too.

Karbach and a couple of other craft breweries put out some great NA beers and hop waters.  1-2 with a gummy scratches the itch.

Ginger Ale zero sugar and Reed's sugar free ginger beer are great!

HEB lime sparkling water is my budget suggestion.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

buy a big CO2 tank off craigslist, hose and adapter from Amazon....never pay for stupid expensive sodastream refills again.

I have a setup in my kitchen in Austin and here in Puebla

Then you have to drive to the welding supply place to exchange.  Probably cheaper, but still kind of a pain each month.  I've got all the gear to pop a soda keg in the fridge with a tank and still don't bother like I did when it was beer.  If I had a reasonable home delivery option, I'd probably feel differently.

Edited by dcbc

3 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Then you have to drive to the welding supply place to exchange.  Probably cheaper, but still kind of a pain each month.  I've got all the gear to pop a soda keg in the fridge with a tank and still don't bother like I did when it was beer.  If I had a reasonable home delivery option, I'd probably feel differently.

You must make a shitload of soda. I swap my tank out maybe once per year. Not a big deal for me.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

You must make a shitload of soda. I swap my tank out maybe once per year. Not a big deal for me.

I'm going by when I made beer and would have two kegs on one tank.  But keeping soda at 15--20 psi to maintain 3.5+ volumes of carbonation will take a bite.

Edited by dcbc

6 hours ago, dcbc said:

San Pellegrino with lime in between beers for me.  Unfortunately, Topo Chico didn't do so well on the PFAS levels by comparison.

https://honehealth.com/edge/nutrition/pfas-in-sparkling-water/

This cracked me up

Interestingly, the chemicals were more common in sparkling waters than still. Researchers suspect this is tied to the carbonation process, or high levels of PFAS in the source water.

shocked-mindblown.gif.8a5105bdb0e62b98dd67d1402d38a6a2.gif

• Haha 2

Had my most-recent alcoholic beverage on Wednesday; yesterday, I had a few symptoms that would fit alcohol withdrawal. Headache, irritability, insomina, heart palpitations, ...

Well, fuck. That's what worried me.

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

Had my most-recent alcoholic beverage on Wednesday; yesterday, I had a few symptoms that would fit alcohol withdrawal. Headache, irritability, insomina, heart palpitations, ...

Well, fuck. That's what worried me.

You might have just been a bit dehydrated.

Rather than worry, you might think about reading this:

https://www.amazon.com/This-Naked-Mind-Discover-Happiness-ebook/dp/B077VTJC8P

I enjoyed it and have recommended it to a few people.  It's a no-judgment exploration into alcohol and helped me understand my "relationship" with it.  

20 minutes ago, tigol said:

You might have just been a bit dehydrated.

Rather than worry, you might think about reading this:

https://www.amazon.com/This-Naked-Mind-Discover-Happiness-ebook/dp/B077VTJC8P

I enjoyed it and have recommended it to a few people.  It's a no-judgment exploration into alcohol and helped me understand my "relationship" with it.  

No, it wasn't dehydration. I know those symptoms well enough. The timing and symptom list match up just right.

I think if I'd been a heavier drinker, I would've had a worse day.

Interesting book recommendation. I'll give it a shot.