South Carolina @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

There is arguably a bit of an excuse for Arlington in first games of the year and a week or so without practice.

And the fact that those three teams are in baseball America’s top four teams right now. It looks improved for sure. South Carolina’s first loss of the season too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Nice quality win tonight. Got some nice timely hits, made some bunts, stole some bases, threw out a guy(nice!), and Madden struggled a bit but fought through it. Check out this vid of Madden’s fastball and slider overlay. It’s pretty dirty. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Going to need to score more than 4 tomorrow. How about this line up:

1) Kennedy
2) Hodo
3) Faltine
4) Zubia
5) Williams
6) Antico
7) Ardoin
8 DH (Petrinsky or Melendez)
9) Daly

Agreed and not strike out so much. That being said, it was fun beating a good team.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Box score showed just over 1700 orangebloods.   At 9-5, I'm liking how we are shaping up.  Those first 3 games were just brutal.

Kinda seems like this is Pierces deal. We started like 14-11 in 2017 and like 11-9 or some shit in 2018 then got hot down the stretch. With our middle infield and Silas behind the plate along with having a, so far, solid bullpen, I don’t see us pulling a 2019 when we were making like 8 errors a game and finding a billion different ways to lose. I haven’t paid much attention to the other big 12 teams, but just looking at scores, it seems a bit down this year. Keep improving and let’s win the fucking conference 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think the first 3 games of the season can be thrown out when evaluating the team.  We played 3 top 10 teams.  We hadn't practiced in a week and in some cases players had put up with some tough situations.  None of the 3 teams we played with dealt with any of that.  They all had a full week of practice.

6 minutes ago, txhorns said:

I think the first 3 games of the season can be thrown out when evaluating the team.  We played 3 top 10 teams.  We hadn't practiced in a week and in some cases players had put up with some tough situations.  None of the 3 teams we played with dealt with any of that.  They all had a full week of practice.

Yeah those were basically spring training games for us and I’m glad we got the reps rather than just having regular practice with a scrimmage thrown in. 

1 hour ago, txhorns said:

We also have a pretty young roster, so I imagine the intimidation factor was pretty huge.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah even with 30 year old zubia, Todd and DJ, we’re still pretty young. Faltine, Silas, Hodo and Daly are showing flashes of the game slowing down for em. The pitching staff is pretty much half veteran then half freshman. Gonna be fun watching these guys develop. Faltine looks like he’s ready to break out. Get Kennedy going and we’re gonna be salty down the stretch. Especially with how good Antico has looked so far

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Yeah even with 30 year old zubia, Todd and DJ, we’re still pretty young. Faltine, Silas, Hodo and Daly are showing flashes of the game slowing down for em. The pitching staff is pretty much half veteran then half freshman. Gonna be fun watching these guys develop. Faltine looks like he’s ready to break out. Get Kennedy going and we’re gonna be salty down the stretch. Especially with how good Antico has looked so far

You have more faith and/or hope than I do, but I’m all for it. 

I see a lot of reason to be optimistic.  We look to have solid starting pitching and a deep bullpen.  Our defense looks outstanding, especially if Zubia can ever learn to pick the short hop.  As usual we have anemic bats, but some of the guys look like they might be starting to figure it out.  Our baserunning hasn't looked all that great so far, but we have some speed and the ability to steal bases.  I'm solidly on the bandwagon until I get shoved off.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You have more faith and/or hope than I do, but I’m all for it. 

We got a pretty salty squad and our pitching and defense is gonna keep us competitive. Awesome seeing DJ get a hit pinch hitting late in the game. He can be like this years version of Jacob Felts in 2014

15 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

Nice quality win tonight. Got some nice timely hits, made some bunts, stole some bases, threw out a guy(nice!), and Madden struggled a bit but fought through it. Check out this vid of Madden’s fastball and slider overlay. It’s pretty dirty. 

I don't want to overdo it, but that's MLB quality right there.  Arm slot is the same, it looks the same to the hitter until it's halfway there, good difference in speed and a lot of break on the slider.  God damn.

10 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Right, but that's really impressive even for a top prospect.  He just turned 21.  He could be in the show by 23.

Someone was calling him a potential top 10 pick the other day. I would guess there's a chance he spends barely any time in the minors.

31 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I don't want to overdo it, but that's MLB quality right there.  Arm slot is the same, it looks the same to the hitter until it's halfway there, good difference in speed and a lot of break on the slider.  God damn.

I don’t think you are over reaching at all. Pitching against Houston last week, he threw a complete game and was still consistently touching the mid-high 90’s going into to the 9th (over 100 pitches). That’s fucking insane.