Money Heist on Netflix

RomaVicta

This extended heist drama set in Madrid has completely captivated me. I love the cast and the stories and the excellent tension. You can watch with dubbed English or subtitled Spanish. I like the sound of Spanish and improving my limited abilities in that language, but that's beside the point.

Synopsis: A man called The Professor masterminds a takeover of the Spanish Mint which prints Euros. He's gathered eight people to execute the plan which will take several days after the team enters the bank. The Professor runs things from the outside where he proves that he has anticipated just about everything the police will do. But not everything. Tensions build in the mint between hostages and the robbers and between the robbers themselves.

I can't stop watching this show. I'm in Part (Season) 2. This was likely discussed at the old site, but I thought I'd write a recommendation.

Edited by RomaVicta

7 minutes ago, irockalltherocks said:

Wife and I are on the 3rd episode. The premise is great and it's well done. We're watching the dubbed version, which I'm sure takes away from the overall feel as it makes the acting seem stiff.

I'm convinced that subtitled movies are considered better films because of the reverse of this.

10 hours ago, Eternal Noob said:

I may have to go ahead and give it a try. I've avoided it because the title sounded so poorly translated. Kinda like "Football Game Players" or something.

It's an awful English title. The Spanish is Casa de Papel. They didn't even try to translate it.

• 2 years later...

This was a great show for the first season and a half.  Then it got stupid.  The Monica story line along ruined the entire show.  I'm on season three, but I'm hate watching.  This is the first show I've ever hate watched.  I'm rooting for every one of these troglodyte retards to die.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Knocked out season 5 this week. Like @Horn of Gabriel said, it wrapped up the show nicely. The final 4 episodes were the solid formula that made the show really fun and interesting.

As a whole, the season dragged. The first 4 episodes were so much filler, they were almost a complete throw away. They were boring, even when the guns were blazing (and you could tell they really liked that budget). They did fix it and wrapped it up really well with episode 5.

The 2nd half of the season was great. Once they got the Professor going again and doing his thing, the show picked up a lot. It also made me realize the show worked best when the Professor was able to do his thing. He had to be in control of the gang. Where this whole show suffered was when the gang was winging it because the professor was out of the picture for some reason.

On the second heist of the series, I think they just went 1 season too long, it forced them to have a ton of filler that just wasn't needed. I know they wanted all the cliffhangers they had, but I think it was one too man and done right this should have been 4 seasons (2 seasons for each heist). 

More in depth thoughts and Spoilers ahead so ... 

Spoiler

So where I think things went wrong was that they just had to have those cliffhangers. 

Season 3 ends with Nairobi taking the sniper shot in the chest. But this is a complete mess later in season 4 because they then drag her though the ringer only to finally have her killed by Gandia. It really made that cliffhanger kind of pointless or at least lose a ton of impact.Season 4 ended with the Professor being caught by a fugitive Sierra, this was great, because that was a major point in season 5. 

Season 5 has the midpoint CH of Tokyo dying, which IMHO was maybe the best one of all of them. She dies, but takes a few with her, namely Gandia, which is very cathartic. This saved season 5 which was floundering at this point.

I mean talking about it, the whole Manilla/Denver/Stockholm thing happen was a mess and frankly pointless. Do things that make sense for the story. I get Stockholm shooting Arturo and getting messed up works, because it really makes sense, PLUS it played into her missing a lot of stuff. 

I think the 2nd heist should have only been 2 seasons. Get rid of most of the filler. Compact it down and the bog of season 5 never happens.

What did the show do right?

Spoiler

Oh shit the double cross of the son/nephew Rafael and Tatiana - BRILLIANT. They basically tell you this is going to happen the entire time through seasons 3,4 and 5 and it STILL blindsides you. The whole time I kept asking, when does Rafael play into this, even the episode when they steal the gold and when they revealed that - WOW. 

I thought that was brilliant. I already noted that the Professor was the key to the whole thing. Him being whole games ahead of the cops made this show fun.

But they countered it and correctly, with Sierra. I think him being so ahead of the game was a slight down for the first heist. At some point you stopped worrying that anything was found, because you realized that he had planned for everything, even that. At some point I realized "Oh, this episode cliffhanger won't be them caught  - the Professor planned for it." Once they brought in Sierra, you realized that maybe he doesn't quite get it all. He had a real foil.

And Tokyo dying and killing the attack squad - BRILLIANT. Even though it was telegraphed from the start of the season, it really impacted the show. It was the kick to the ass the show needed to get back on track.

So yeah, good, fun show.

If you're here wondering "Should I watch this?" Yes. Just realize that season 5 will drag, deal with it and when they fix it, you will be happy with the result.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

One thing I realized was that you had to be invested in the characters for their stories to be interesting. Tokyo was a pillar of the show. You knew her story and background. Anything they did with her was going to be interesting.

Denver on the other hand was boring as shit come season 3.  He was unfrozen caveman bank robber. Any story with him …. ZZZZ. The reason it worked in season 1/2 was because we were learning about the characters. Trying it again in season 5 - LAME. 

• Hook 'Em 1

my likability rating

1. Professor

2. Berlin

3. Helsinki

4. Nairobi

5. Marseilla 

Tokyo, Rio, - they was always doing something to fuck it up lol.

Denver, Stockholm meh

Bogota - would probably be in my ratings if he was from day 1 

Tatiana a baddie.

Lisbon eh

Alicia.... wanted to hate her, but damn she was a good, evil, smart and on pace with professor

Najwa Nimri: Movies, Age, Photos, Family, Husband, Height, Birthday,  Biography, Filmography, Upcoming Movies, TV, OTT, Social Media, Facebook,  Instagram, Twitter, WhatsApp, Google YouTube & More » CelPox

𝕤𝕚𝕣𝕚𝕒 𝕟𝕚𝕞𝕣𝕚🦂🤍 (@about_siriaa) / Twitter

Edited by kingkoopa6
  • Hook 'Em 3

I realized something discussing this with the missus the other day. Money Heist is Die Hard if John McClane doesn't get involved. Hans had planned the whole heist to a tee, and it was going perfectly, except for the chaos that McClane brings. Money Heist is the same, without the chaos. Gambia is the closest to a McClane in the show, and to some extent when the Professor goes AWOL.

Spot on Koopa. Alicia is brilliant, and you want to hate her, they make you want to. But she is just perfect, you can't. She makes Seasons 3-5 so good.

• Hook 'Em 2

Alicia’s boobs are really really solid.

everything with Denver on screen was a beating and him making out with his trans (cousin was it) was a whole story line in the bog of season 5 that was just an attempt to say “how many boxes can we check in a totally irrelevant way to show that we are hip?” And did nothing to fit into the show, advance what was going on, or bring enjoyment to the thing. Unlike- say- the homosexuality and longing for Berlin from the guy with the fat face that helped plan the thing with the Prof and Berlin, which was integral to the story of the show and not some box checking exercise in pointlessness. 
I liked how the professor owned his shit at the end on being a thief and his whole family being thieves. I’d have like to see Berlin’s son get it in the end but whatever. I thought they did really well with making the thieving of the gold at the end be a surprise but upon reflection being well set up and something you could have seen coming. 
I thought it was absurd that the professor didn’t have investment vehicles to benefit from the taming of the Spanish economy that came on from the heist. I actually though he was going to have to give back the gold, and honestly realistically I think he would have had to maybe as there would have needed to be international inspection of the gold to assuage the markets I think, but the professor would have made billions shorting the market and Spanish treasury bonds when the heist started and then going long after it hit its nadir and he gave back the gold. I think their way was more satisfying than mine, but maybe less realistic. 
I would have liked more bogota and less Denver for sure. 
Also- professor needs to hit Lisbon and new mom 6 weeks from now when her vagina comes off the disabled list in a three way- that seems like something he could take the time to scheme up and master plan now that he’s stolen the money  printing press and the gold reserve from Spain and needs something else to occupy his time and thoughts. 

On 12/31/2021 at 3:49 PM, Post Oak said:

I loved the last half of S5.  All in all, I really enjoyed it.  

Alicia can get it when she wants it.  

Great ending to a great show.  Wrapped it up better than I thought they could.  Surprised there isn't more than 1 page in this thread.  We were hooked from the beginning. 

Alicia is smoke....she did it for me even when she was preggo...is that weird?!  I follow her on IG, no big deal.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I thought it was absurd that the professor didn’t have investment vehicles to benefit from the taming of the Spanish economy that came on from the heist.

Yeah I thought that's where the show was headed.

Every minute Denver was on the show was a minute they could have focused on Tokyo and no thought has yet made me more disgusted in 2022.

55 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Surprised there isn't more than 1 page in this thread. 

Yeah, me too. 

There's probably a bunch of tepid discussion splattered throughout that useless piece of shit Netflix megathread though. 

Why do we use those? Would we ever think about having a single dedicated thread for all shows on Fox or AMC or whatever? Hell no, because that's moronic. Never understood why it has taken off as practice around here that shows on a specific streaming services should all just be clumped together. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Yeah, me too. 

There's probably a bunch of tepid discussion splattered throughout that useless piece of shit Netflix megathread though. 

Why do we use those? Would we ever think about having a single dedicated thread for all shows on Fox or AMC or whatever? Hell no, because that's moronic. Never understood why it has taken off as practice around here that shows on a specific streaming services should all just be clumped together. 

Yep. It makes it completely unwieldy to try to get around this forum. 

• Rage+1 1

Also - Spanish or dubbed English? I wish I did Spanish, but we started in dubbed English and that wasn’t going to change. 

Spanish with subtitles.

The dubbing by Netflix is actually really bad because they change the dialog to better match the actor’s mouth movements so it’s less obvious it’s dubbed. I noticed this while watching the dubbed version with the subtitles on. 70% they didn’t match at all and often the dubbed dialog changed the meaning completely.

Also, the acting is 100X better with the original voices.
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I will miss these characters. This was a great show with a lot of thought to it.

RIP Nairobi 

Agreed.  We originally had binged Seasons 1 - 3 back to back to back....and got attached to a lot of the characters.  Very well done all around.

We kept it in spanish also with english subtitles...definitely a better feel for the acting when it all is in sync. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Outside of Denver and Rio being total beta bitches, my main character problem was with Helsinki. Dude, I know he's a rainbow bear but come on, he should have been destroying people.

My favorite characters were probably Alicia because she was unpredictable and Marseilles. He was the Spanish version of The Wolf. Dude could handle any problem.

• Hook 'Em 1

I was always wondering how Berlin's son was going to come back into play.  They didn't introduce him for no reason in season 5 first part.  But I was thinking he was going to help them out somehow in the end...I love how they added in that extra twist with him hijacking the heist....and how professor was able to convince him to settle.  Dude has an answer for everything.  Obviously a lot of luck and you gotta suspend your belief, but it was a fun journey.  They need a spin off..

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

this is two fukin different shows... English vs Spanish..

professor is such a good  actor... that first clip (starts at 11:00) and second clip..  i wouldn't be able to take English version serious... 

They gave the Professor the best voice actor. I think Tokyo and Berlin were close behind, but the Professor had the best one. If you watched the show with that voice the whole time, you would manage to deal with that. 

6 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

I was always wondering how Berlin's son was going to come back into play.  They didn't introduce him for no reason in season 5 first part.  But I was thinking he was going to help them out somehow in the end...I love how they added in that extra twist with him hijacking the heist....and how professor was able to convince him to settle.  Dude has an answer for everything.  Obviously a lot of luck and you gotta suspend your belief, but it was a fun journey.  They need a spin off..

I will say it again, this is one of the best twists pulled in a show. This is right up there with "I see dead people." (yes, that was a movie).

Just like 6th Sense, they told you this was coming and were still able to surprise you.

• 2 weeks later...

Lol wtf...so Korea version is using the same character names?  They going to use similar backstories, romance, relationships etc?  Assuming totally different heist of course.

iirc Case de Papel (Money Heist) was a Spanish local series that Netflix just picked up...not a Netflix original.

Will watch Korea version, but gona be hard to top the characters of Money Heist. (and as long as BTS does not show up in it)

Edited by utxmike05

Just finished the series and I'll echo what everyone else said. Entertaining, fun, but definitely dragged at spots. We don't need to have love triangles in the middle of a heist.

And my ranking of the women by hotness (these ranking are definitive and cannot be argued):
1) Nairobi
2) Lisbon 
3) Tokyo

4) Stockholm

5) Alicia

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Rage+1 1