2021 Selection Sunday - CBS, 5 PM

Machinator

Let's say we are a 3 seed. Who are we hoping to have as 1 and 2 seeds above us? I would be just fine with Michigan and houston as the 1 and 2 seeds in our region. And Florida st or wv as our 4. 
Idmas. Put us in the most difficult (on paper) bracket and then roll the ball out.

The problem, as discussed in the B12CCG thread, is that the seeding is done on an S curve this year.  This means if we end up as one of the top 2 three seeds, we'd be in the same bracket as the top 2 one seeds.  I guess it doesn't really matter.  If we snuck into a 2, we'd still be on that side of the bracket assuming we're the overall 7th or 8th seed.  Everything I've seen has TX as a high 3 seed.

What was the rationale for that?  It’d suck for you guys to win the conf tourney just to have to face Gonzaga or Baylor.  Was hoping for us (UT and OSU) to draw 3-seeds specifically to delay having to play one of the top 4 in the S16 as they have clearly seemed head/shoulders above for most of the second half of this season.  Obviously a 2 achieves the same goal but given there are still title games today I’m not sure it’ll matter as much given they may not end until 3p or later.  

I expect that osu/Texas swapped places last night in the 3-seed pecking order and there won’t be any major surprises at 5p today.  

Edited by Homercles

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

The problem, as discussed in the B12CCG thread, is that the seeding is done on an S curve this year.  This means if we end up as one of the top 2 three seeds, we'd be in the same bracket as the top 2 one seeds.  I guess it doesn't really matter.  If we snuck into a 2, we'd still be on that side of the bracket assuming we're the overall 7th or 8th seed.  Everything I've seen has TX as a high 3 seed.

If we end up facing Gonzaga/Baylor, it means we made the Elite 8 riding an 8 game winning streak. Those are the best circumstances you can give yourself playing a team like that. As awesome as a title/Final 4 bid would be, that's a serious accomplishment on its own given our past 12 years or so of March ineptitude.

Edited by Teryor
  • Hook 'Em 4

28 minutes ago, Blotto said:

its just speculation obviously, but here is the latest bracketology on ESPN. Would take this region setup in a heartbeat. Houston as the 2 and Ill as the 1. 

image.png.7f8cdae6ff3a7b98a50b49fbd01deecd.png

As an Illini fan living in Chicago, I'll be shocked and annoyed if the committee aims for an Illinois vs. Loyola second round matchup. But bungling seems to be kind of on-brand these days, so I guess nothing should surprise me that much... 

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but for the benefit of anyone who doesn't pay much attention to the B1G (and/or its title game), it's a pretty common perception that whatever happens on Sunday generally doesn't seem to make much difference in terms of final seedings. I suppose that the relative strength of the league this year might make things a little different, but that's been said before... 

For those like me who get brain fog when they read "seeding on an S-curve"

• Region A
    • No. 1 overall seed (on the 1-seed line)
    • No. 8 overall seed (on the 2-seed line)
    • No. 9 overall seed (on the 3-seed line)
    • No. 16 overall seed (on the 4-seed line)
  • Region B
    • No. 2 overall seed (on the 1-seed line)
    • No. 7 overall seed (on the 2-seed line)
    • No. 10 overall seed (on the 3-seed line)
    • No. 15 overall seed (on the 4-seed line)
  • Region C
    • No. 3 overall seed (on the 1-seed line)
    • No. 6 overall seed (on the 2-seed line)
    • No. 11 overall seed (on the 3-seed line)
    • No. 14 overall seed (on the 4-seed line)
  • Region D
    • No. 4 overall seed (on the 1-seed line)
    • No. 5 overall seed (on the 2-seed line)
    • No. 12 overall seed (on the 3-seed line)
    • No. 13 overall seed (on the 4-seed line)

Using the current matrix results, that would put Texas in Region C with Michigan, Ohio St. and Virginia*. I'd take that bracket in a heartbeat.

*covid willing. 

2 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

As an Illini fan living in Chicago, I'll be shocked and annoyed if the committee aims for an Illinois vs. Loyola second round matchup. But bungling seems to be kind of on-brand these days, so I guess nothing should surprise me that much... 

Why would it be "bungling" to put Illinois and Loyola in a second round matchup?

4 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

calling my shot for the big 12 teams:

baylor - 1 seed (#2 overall)

texas - 3 seed

oklahoma state - 3 seed

kansas - 4 seed

west virginia - 4 seed

tech - 6 seed

ou - 8 seed

I agree with this. 

So do I have this correct (as far as anyone can tell, because the NCAA is making up and ignoring rules as they go, as evidenced by the D2 tournament)?

If Virginia gets picked, they need 7 straight days of negative tests to play, and if someone tests positive Monday/Tuesday, they have to notify the NCAA and will be dropped out of the bracket, replaced by someone like Colorado State.  So someone will have CSU as the 4-seed in their bracket?

Because (in my opinion, at least) it's not much of a traditional in-state rivalry like one might otherwise expect, and there's a lot of Illinois fans who are fond of Loyola, and perhaps vice versa. In other words, it's not the kind of "scripted matchup" that the committee often aims for when getting cute (i.e., considering outside factors beyond the dataset du jour) with pairings. 

Edit: @Beau Vine - should have quoted your post that I'm responding to... 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

2 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

calling my shot for the big 12 teams:

baylor - 1 seed (#2 overall)

texas - 3 seed

oklahoma state - 3 seed

kansas - 4 seed

west virginia - 4 seed

tech - 6 seed

ou - 8 seed

The real sorcery would being able to tell us in which Regions the committee puts them.

Yeah, I can't imagine the selection committee is gonna take this pending OHio State loss to heart with 4 minutes left to submit their seedings

Edited by Lobo

18 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, I can't imagine the selection committee is gonna take this pending OHio State loss to heart with 4 minutes left to submit their seedings

NCAA: hm should OSU be a 2 if they win...or a 2 if they lose? We have to watch and see!