Mounting TV Above Fireplace

My wife and I are in the process of building a home. She would like to have the TV mounted above the fireplace. I've read that you have to be mindful the heat the fireplace generates and the viewing height and angle of the TV.

From what I've read, a fireplace with a internal fan can alleviate most of the heat risk and the right TV mount can fix any viewing height/angle issues. 

Have any of you gone this route? Any tips, warnings, or words of wisdom?

Edited by Seasick Sailor

33 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Yes don’t put it over the fireplace because everyone will destroy their C1-C4 vertebrae straining upward to watch tv, all in the name of the convenience of having the tv not take up space elsewhere. #TVonfireplaceSux; #stoptvperversion. 

Have some rep.

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Yes don’t put it over the fireplace because everyone will destroy their C1-C4 vertebrae straining upward to watch tv, all in the name of the convenience of having the tv not take up space elsewhere. #TVonfireplaceSux; #stoptvperversion. 

Correct. The heat isn't the main issue. The terrible placement is. 

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

My old house was built in the 60's and when the plasma era arrived there was no place to put a TV other than above the fireplace. I was concerned about this same issue. Built a big ass fire and put a thermometer where the TV would eventually be to test and I don't think it raised by even one degree. Total non-issue. But if you're concerned then run the same test.

To the "poor placement" folks they aren't necessarily wrong but sometimes it is the only option. At the minimum, get a mount that will tilt the TV down a few degrees for viewing. It never bothered my neck in the years we owned the house. 

Edited by Bill Clay
  • Like 1

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bill Clay said:

My old house was built in the 60's and when the plasma era arrived there was no place to put a TV other than above the fireplace. I was concerned about this same issue. Built a big ass fire and put a thermometer where the TV would eventually be to test and I don't think it raised by even one degree. Total non-issue. But if you're concerned then run the same test.

To the "poor placement" folks they aren't necessarily wrong but sometimes it is the only option. At the minimum, get a mount that will tilt the TV down a few degrees for viewing. It never bothered my neck in the years we owned the house. 

It’s rarely the only option, but it’s often the only option for the wife’s desired room layout.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Building a house and not planning where to put the TV is stupid. Plan better. Don't out on top of fireplace. 

No way I’d do that myself. That space is reserved for Mrs. Brat’s 1963 Prom portrait in her Fightin’ Taylor Duck green & whit school colors...

image.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

I don't care how much people, who have the TV above the fireplace, tell you how its not that big of a deal.  Do they run into the movie theater to sit in the first 5 rows so they can stare up to the movie? You're better off to put the TV on one of the other walls.  The fireplace doesn't need to be the central focus of the room. Odds are the TV will be the central focus.

If you are sitting for the majority of TV watching, like everyone does, the middle of the TV should be about 42 inches off the ground.  Which can put the bottom of the TV less than 2.5 ft off the ground depending on the TV size. It might initially feel too low but its the most comfortable to watch TV. This is especially true if you occasionally or frequently have a phone or ipad in your hand.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't care how much people, who have the TV above the fireplace, tell you how its not that big of a deal.  Do they run into the movie theater to sit in the first 5 rows so they can stare up to the movie? You're better off to put the TV on one of the other walls.  The fireplace doesn't need to be the central focus of the room. Odds are the TV will be the central focus.

If you are sitting for the majority of TV watching, like everyone does, the middle of the TV should be about 42 inches off the ground.  Which can put the bottom of the TV less than 2.5 ft off the ground depending on the TV size. It might initially feel too low but its the most comfortable to watch TV. This is especially true if you occasionally or frequently have a phone or ipad in your hand.

This all day long.  I push clients away from above fireplace TV placement all the time.  

I've put 2 TVs above fireplaces because there was literally no wall space abutting the fireplaces, (it was all glass on both sides).  I went to great lengths to make sure the room was scaled so you didn't  have to crane your neck because you were right up on the Hearth, and designed the fireboxes to be low, horizontal designs to get the TV location down lower.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yep. I think ours is a tad too high, but Mrs. Brat wanted the cabinets.

image.jpg

21 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I thought above the fireplace was a short lived fad right after the flat panel tvs took over.  I remember being in several houses with people mounted their 45" TVs above the fireplace and thinking what a beating this is.

Home builders in the 90s definitely would built out a nook for 32 inch TV above the fireplace. And then trying to place a 100 lb TV up there took some effort. 

49 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Yep. I think ours is a tad too high, but Mrs. Brat wanted the cabinets.

image.jpg

Might be a bit higher than recommended but another factor is the distance that you're sitting from it. If you're far from the TV, you may not want it too low. The real limitation that you have is with eventually wanting a larger TV.  Some models start at 50" or 55".

Funny how we got away from the mega cabinet TVs of the 50s-70s, only to recreate or increase the look with cabinets. I've finally embraced the wall mount of the TV. Much cleaner look. But to each their own.

• Like 1

The lower the viewing angle the better.  My wife and I both notice the irritating upward angle when we stayed in our RV for a month in Port A.   If you are in a recliner then who cares, but with traditional seating having the RV as close to eye level as possible is best.

22 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Just know you likely will never have both on at same time, but if space works a good "mantle mount" takes care of the viewing height issue.  I would prefer a different space so dont have to constantly raise and lower, but it's doable.

We have installed a couple of these on patios with fireplaces. They do work great at bringing the TV to a more comfortable viewing height, but it’s not something I would want to do on a TV I watch day to day. Move the FP, install a lower FP and mantle, or move the TV.  

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Well the 50" outer case is probably right.

spacer.png

Hah, that brings back memories of 40 years ago when my widower FIL passed away alone in his house (sad story).

A couple of weeks afterward we were cleaning out his house, the family having removed items they wanted to keep, and just a few junk items were left to be donated.

We had not found his wife’s 2.25 carat diamond solitaire wedding ring that we knew he had hidden after she passed away a couple of months before he did. Anyway, I was looking at his wood console stereo record player - just like the one below - and happened to stick my hand under the top to the left of the turntable & pulled the ring out.

Some Goodwill customer just missed out.

Had the stone remounted for her and she still wears it to this day.

D630CDE0-61C3-4562-9A66-AE2352992213.jpeg

5B88DC89-40E1-4467-AEA6-6D55563A927F.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 2

Different angle. Plus doggo.

afa3c51b76c32e5681c4e19c218fc088.jpg

We frequently have fireplace and TV going in the winter. You’ll definitely want a power outlet up there, but with all the wireless streaming options you shouldn’t need anything else. We plug the TV and soundbar into the same outlet. Mounts are cheap, I’ve used a few of the Mounting Dream mounts.

• Hook 'Em 2

In my single days I had a fireplace with a hearth and a mantle.  A 60” fit nicely in the the space between the two.  Almost looked like that was the way it was supposed to be, it framed the tv nicely and completely covered the fireplace opening.  A tad low on the viewing angle, but that’s better than it being too high.  

I’ve never seen so many people complain about a tv over the fireplace. Y’all like 90 years old or something? Or my mother in law?

Most homes these days are built for that with a large living room and having some low tv on a cabinet in the corner of a room looks retarded.

Just get a tiltable rack and you should be golden.

7B402DF9-7E76-4733-A5FB-7E2DAA66CFA5.thumb.jpeg.3d2bc856bd63ad8014833957659d1cb0.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

I’ve never seen so many people complain about a tv over the fireplace. Y’all like 90 years old or something? Or my mother in law?

Most homes these days are built for that with a large living room and having some low tv on a cabinet in the corner of a room looks retarded.

7B402DF9-7E76-4733-A5FB-7E2DAA66CFA5.thumb.jpeg.3d2bc856bd63ad8014833957659d1cb0.jpeg

Lord, what's that like 50-60' from the sofa ?

Probably. though, the photo from that angle probably exaggerates the distance and makes the 75” screen look smaller. It works in person, and anyone with a wife knows compromises must be made for electronics.

Daniel Tiger and Spongebob look great above the fireplace.

This is the cleanest look by far. I didn’t think this was even a debate. Some of you have some terrible design ideas to the fact that your view is obstructed because of a blanket since your tv is 1 foot above the floor.

This is on par with the guy not having a microwave.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

This is the cleanest look by far. I didn’t think this was even a debate. Some of you have some terrible design ideas to the fact that your view is obstructed because of a blanket since your tv is 1 foot above the floor.

This is on par with the guy not having a microwave.

Go on back to your Jim Walters, modular with the 2 level shag carpet, LAY-Z boy recliner with the built in mini fridge, and day-glo velvet Elvis paintings...