Mounting TV Above Fireplace

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

TVs above fireplace are so much cleaner looking than a stupid ass entertainment center or needing a 40 inch tv off to the side because it’s the only size that’ll fit.

You can go as big as you want mounting above fireplace.

We don’t even use our fireplace

Mrs. Brat wanted the entertainment cabinet to display a bunch of crap we never touch.

TV is secondary for her.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ours is mounted above the fireplace.  75".  But our house is modern (if I had to put it in a category), so the fireplace doesn't have a mantelpiece or whatever you call that shelf above it.  Just surrounded by marble (?).  So it's not all that high up.

Three contractors said it wouldn't be a problem, and it hasn't been in almost 3 years.  Plus a new 75" TV is relatively cheap, worst case.

1995 built townhouse offered few other options. I mitigated the height issue somewhat by lowering the mantel as mush as I could. Also helps that room is big enough that you don't have to sit too close to the TV. Code says you need 18" between the firebox and the mantle if mantle is made of combustible material. I'm closer than that. Mantel is wood. Haven't burned the place down yet though.

The best thing I did was create an inset in the wall above the mantel. The TV sits on a stand in the inset and front of TV is flush with the wall. Looks good.

Bernard

Edited by Bernard

23 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

This is the cleanest look by far. I didn’t think this was even a debate. Some of you have some terrible design ideas to the fact that your view is obstructed because of a blanket since your tv is 1 foot above the floor.

This is on par with the guy not having a microwave.

More offended by the L/R front ch speakers in ceiling.  Ear level tells bad eye level to hold my beer. 

Like watching the game at the hotel bar

*the potential fix is there and easy

Edited by ChickenSandwich

On 3/17/2021 at 8:21 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

More offended by the L/R front ch speakers in ceiling.  Ear level tells bad eye level to hold my beer. 

Like watching the game at the hotel bar

*the potential fix is there and easy

Yea I had visual parameters I had to work with given that it’s the more “formal” entertaining area. /pickyourbattles To be honest I don’t use that TV all that much, and when I do I’m just running though the center speaker only.

I watch sports and movies with sound I want to blast in the other living room. Those in ceiling speakers are primarily there for when I’m playing music throughout the house.

On 3/17/2021 at 7:48 AM, 52-80 said:

why the fuck are there fireplaces in texas houses anyway

We burn at least a cord of wood in a normal winter.  Plus haven’t you heard how amazing it is to pee on a fire? 

another no vote for above the fireplace if you can avoid it. 

• Haha 1

On 3/16/2021 at 8:41 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

This is the cleanest look by far. I didn’t think this was even a debate. Some of you have some terrible design ideas to the fact that your view is obstructed because of a blanket since your tv is 1 foot above the floor.

This is on par with the guy not having a microwave.

This seems okay if your okay with watching a blockbuster action movie on a screen that's twenty feet away. That's like going to a theater and sitting on the back row. i used to go to a lot of Big Releases on the first showing, Friday afternoon about 1PM at the best theater with the biggest screen in town. All such movie fanatics always gathered about row 10-15. There's your scientific study for ideal viewing distance. That's for the biggest screen in town. For Imax, you might sit an extra five rows back. Something like that. There were always lines, of course, to get in, so you had to arrive an hour ahead of time to get the best seats. You could tell which sections filled up first.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

On 3/14/2021 at 12:22 PM, Dbeasy said:

Yes don’t put it over the fireplace because everyone will destroy their C1-C4 vertebrae straining upward to watch tv, all in the name of the convenience of having the tv not take up space elsewhere. #TVonfireplaceSux; #stoptvperversion. 

Before I even read any other responses...this is the correct answer. Don’t mount a TV above the fucking fireplace. When you go to an empty movie theater, do you sit in the first 4-5 rows?

22 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Nope. But I also don’t call a movie theater home and TVs on a stand in the corner waste valuable space.

It's about space, and what works, not merely about one or the other. If you like it that's cool. I've yet to meet anyone who was happy about putting a TV above a fireplace unless they had a large room that allowed them to pull back from the screen, and a shorter, wider a fireplace that allowed a larger TV that didn't look small as you pulled away from it, especially for watching sports.  Once that screen gets 60" or more above the floor it works poorly, and TV viewing is compromised in most situations.  

On 3/23/2021 at 12:23 PM, Irish Wrist Watch said:

This seems okay if your okay with watching a blockbuster action movie on a screen that's twenty feet away. That's like going to a theater and sitting on the back row. i used to go to a lot of Big Releases on the first showing, Friday afternoon about 1PM at the best theater with the biggest screen in town. All such movie fanatics always gathered about row 10-15. There's your scientific study for ideal viewing distance. That's for the biggest screen in town. For Imax, you might sit an extra five rows back. Something like that. There were always lines, of course, to get in, so you had to arrive an hour ahead of time to get the best seats. You could tell which sections filled up first.

I can't sit in the back row now?  Goddam...I'm having a hard time keeping track of all these fucking rules...