Abilene Christian talk

shadow_operative

Most surprising thing to me is their shooting profile. Awesome 3 pt shooting team that barely shoots them (looks like small sample size variance?) and also shoots free throws poorly, but doesn't have anyone that gets to the line much. 

fb3dd208fda3428f3c451666bbc18087.png

8 point favorite seems a tad low.  Not touching it though.

I'm guessing we're gonna be an early game with our opponent having zero name recognition.  Day drinking anyone?  

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'm guessing we're gonna be an early game with our opponent having zero name recognition.  Day drinking anyone?  

Not that far off from the other 3 seeds

Leading scorer at 12.3 ppg is Kolton Kohl, 7-footer out of San Angelo Central.  

Kohl_Kolton.jpg?width=300

He's got a pretty hawt girlfriend who literally just closed insta while I was looking at it, and plays for the ACU volleyball team.

image.png.0b30004a0f67a3ad96d656626160c916.png

https://acusports.com/sports/womens-volleyball/roster/katelyn-mueller/8192

Despite being 7 feet tall, Kolton averages only 4.8 rebounds pg.

Next leading scorer at 10.8 is  6'8" PF Joe Pleasant who's the son of Anthony Pleasant, who played DE in the NFL for 14 years.  Joe leads ACU in rebounding.  

Guards are very small, both 6'0".  SG Coryon Mason is the only other guy averaging in double figures at 10.7.  PG Reggie Miller weighs 150, but leads ASU in assists and steals and is 3rd in rebounds.

6th man and 4th-leading-scorer is the very unfortunately-named, well...
image.png.31177ede8324e57d7d60381ce67f500d.png

NTTAWWT.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Leading scorer at 12.3 ppg is Kolton Kohl, 7-footer out of San Angelo Central.  

Kohl_Kolton.jpg?width=300

He's got a pretty hawt girlfriend who literally just closed insta while I was looking at it, and plays for the ACU volleyball team.

image.png.0b30004a0f67a3ad96d656626160c916.png

https://acusports.com/sports/womens-volleyball/roster/katelyn-mueller/8192

Despite being 7 feet tall, Kolton averages only 4.8 rebounds pg.

Next leading scorer at 10.8 is  6'8" PF Joe Pleasant who's the son of Anthony Pleasant, who played DE in the NFL for 14 years.  Joe leads ACU in rebounding.  

Guards are very small, both 6'0".  SG Coryon Mason is the only other guy averaging in double figures at 10.7.  PG Reggie Miller weighs 150, but leads ASU in assists and steals and is 3rd in rebounds.

6th man and 4th-leading-scorer is the very unfortunately-named, well...
image.png.31177ede8324e57d7d60381ce67f500d.png

NTTAWWT.

From Nevada, Missouri.  Wonder if it’s pronounced like the state or like the Texas town. 

Mentioned in the other thread, but for those pissing themselves about the ACU turnover numbers, they're help significantly by playing 5 D2/3 opponents.

136 turnovers forced total against McMurry, Hardin-Simmons, Tarleton, Dallas Christian, and Howard Payne.  29 total turnovers by Tech and Arky.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

A VCU team coached by Shaka lost to the Southland champ in a glorious way - I was there and axe ‘em Jacks. 

UT is much better than that VCU team and this ACU would have lost by 20 to that SFA team.  

Texas by 15 or more. 

Every time I see your username...  Damn It

3 hours ago, TexasMan said:

Texas let some shitty teams hang around this year in games that were never really that in doubt. -8 isn't that surprising.

Now, there is absolutely zero reason Texas should lose this game. On paper this is a mudholing. But Texas has done enough weird, stupid shit this season to probably give bettors cause for concern.

13 hours ago, 83Horn said:

Got Dang...I can't imagine going through junior high school with that last name.

I went to elementary school with a kid whose last name was Fagg. We knew it was funny but not quite how serious at the time. Can’t imagine what his middle and high school was like.

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I went to elementary school with a kid whose last name was Fagg. We knew it was funny but not quite how serious at the time. Can’t imagine what his middle and high school was like.

Yeah.  I guess you either learn how to fight, learn how to drink, or possibly both.

https://theathletic.com/2450131/2021/03/15/ncaa-tournament-best-bets-picking-ohio-north-carolina-texas-villanova-and-houston/

Spoiler

No. 14 Abilene Christian vs. No. 3 Texas | Texas -8.5 | Total: 139.5

I thought that Abilene Christian had a real chance to make some noise in the right matchup. The Wildcats are 23-4 and they’re good. Coach Joe Golding is one of Chris Beard’s best friends in the coaching industry, and they play a similarly aggressive style on defense. They lead the nation in turnover margin because they force turnovers on 26.7 percent of their opponent’s possessions because they pressure all game. Plus, they also defend the 3-point line well. Offensively, 7-foot center Kolton Kohl was first-team All-Southland as the team’s centerpiece on the block, but they get by with a well-rounded approach that includes four guys around him who can take 3s.

The problem here is that I’m just not sure anything they want to do is going to work against Texas’ athleticism, length, and experience in the backcourt. It would be hard for me to pick a worse matchup than this outside of the top-two seed lines. I find it hard to believe that experienced guards Matt Coleman, Courtney Ramey, and Andrew Jones are going to be all that flustered by the pressure. Coleman particularly has been a steady hand for Texas in the backcourt, and he should be able to break their pressure. You can make the case that Texas has generally been a relatively turnover prone team this year, but I’m not sure ACU is going to be able to pressure them in the way same way that the Big 12 (particularly that similar Texas Tech style) could. Abilene Christian also plays really small across the backcourt, often featuring three guys who are 6-foot or smaller in Damien Daniels, Reggie Miller, and Coryon Mason. Texas is just a lot bigger and stronger than those guys. If Texas can get switches with Jericho Sims, Kai Jones or Greg Brown onto one of those guys, it’s just going to be really hard for Abilene to handle it.

And on top of it, Sims is one of the absolute best interior defenders in the country. I would expect he’ll be able to match up with Kohl without needing the help of a double team.  Kohl has generally struggled against good teams. He’s posted a 44.3 true-shooting percentage over the last two years in seven games against what KenPom classifies as Tier A+B competition.And if that happens, can Abilene’s shooters get free without being able to collapse the defense from the inside-out? I’m pretty skeptical that the smaller players are going to have much luck finishing inside against Texas’ length. Abilene also relied pretty heavily on getting second chance rebounding opportunities this year (while also shutting down the defensive glass) in the Southland, and I just don’t see a way that they are able to out-rebound Texas. So this one will come down to being able to knock down shots for them to keep this tight.

Finally, it’s worth noting that Abilene Christian has not won a KenPom Tier A+B game since returning to Division I competition in 2014, going 0-28 in such outings. This Wildcats’ team is much better than some of the early ones in Golding’s tenure, but I’m just not sure I see it here with this matchup. They were able to get some offense against Arkansas because Arkansas is willing to play into a team’s hands sometimes with tempo. But Texas isn’t going to do that. I see a slower game, and one where Abilene Christian just really struggles to put the ball in the basket unless they get an aberrant shooting performance from the perimeter. I’m bummed, because I really love what Golding has built at Abilene Christian. This is a good team that had a real shot in the right matchup. But this feels like a double-digit Texas win to me. The pick: Texas -8.5.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

A VCU team coached by Shaka lost to the Southland champ in a glorious way - I was there and axe ‘em Jacks. 

UT is much better than that VCU team and this ACU would have lost by 20 to that SFA team.  

Texas by 15 or more. 

I was an advocate early on for Texas hiring Brad Underwood... I still am. As an SFA grad, I hated to lose him, but I knew we would eventually. Might as well lose him to my *heart* team, Texas. Now, we see Underwood’s coaching genius emerge, at a Big-10 program. I hope the Illini win it all (assuming Texas doesn’t). 

Our two oldest children are ACU grads. We are proud ACU made the tourney, but we’re doubtful they play spoiler. Just hope it’s not a 100-50 type of result. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Teryor said:

https://theathletic.com/2450131/2021/03/15/ncaa-tournament-best-bets-picking-ohio-north-carolina-texas-villanova-and-houston/

Reveal hidden contents

No. 14 Abilene Christian vs. No. 3 Texas | Texas -8.5 | Total: 139.5

I thought that Abilene Christian had a real chance to make some noise in the right matchup. The Wildcats are 23-4 and they’re good. Coach Joe Golding is one of Chris Beard’s best friends in the coaching industry, and they play a similarly aggressive style on defense. They lead the nation in turnover margin because they force turnovers on 26.7 percent of their opponent’s possessions because they pressure all game. Plus, they also defend the 3-point line well. Offensively, 7-foot center Kolton Kohl was first-team All-Southland as the team’s centerpiece on the block, but they get by with a well-rounded approach that includes four guys around him who can take 3s.

The problem here is that I’m just not sure anything they want to do is going to work against Texas’ athleticism, length, and experience in the backcourt. It would be hard for me to pick a worse matchup than this outside of the top-two seed lines. I find it hard to believe that experienced guards Matt Coleman, Courtney Ramey, and Andrew Jones are going to be all that flustered by the pressure. Coleman particularly has been a steady hand for Texas in the backcourt, and he should be able to break their pressure. You can make the case that Texas has generally been a relatively turnover prone team this year, but I’m not sure ACU is going to be able to pressure them in the way same way that the Big 12 (particularly that similar Texas Tech style) could. Abilene Christian also plays really small across the backcourt, often featuring three guys who are 6-foot or smaller in Damien Daniels, Reggie Miller, and Coryon Mason. Texas is just a lot bigger and stronger than those guys. If Texas can get switches with Jericho Sims, Kai Jones or Greg Brown onto one of those guys, it’s just going to be really hard for Abilene to handle it.

And on top of it, Sims is one of the absolute best interior defenders in the country. I would expect he’ll be able to match up with Kohl without needing the help of a double team.  Kohl has generally struggled against good teams. He’s posted a 44.3 true-shooting percentage over the last two years in seven games against what KenPom classifies as Tier A+B competition.And if that happens, can Abilene’s shooters get free without being able to collapse the defense from the inside-out? I’m pretty skeptical that the smaller players are going to have much luck finishing inside against Texas’ length. Abilene also relied pretty heavily on getting second chance rebounding opportunities this year (while also shutting down the defensive glass) in the Southland, and I just don’t see a way that they are able to out-rebound Texas. So this one will come down to being able to knock down shots for them to keep this tight.

Finally, it’s worth noting that Abilene Christian has not won a KenPom Tier A+B game since returning to Division I competition in 2014, going 0-28 in such outings. This Wildcats’ team is much better than some of the early ones in Golding’s tenure, but I’m just not sure I see it here with this matchup. They were able to get some offense against Arkansas because Arkansas is willing to play into a team’s hands sometimes with tempo. But Texas isn’t going to do that. I see a slower game, and one where Abilene Christian just really struggles to put the ball in the basket unless they get an aberrant shooting performance from the perimeter. I’m bummed, because I really love what Golding has built at Abilene Christian. This is a good team that had a real shot in the right matchup. But this feels like a double-digit Texas win to me. The pick: Texas -8.5.

A good read.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mossyhorn said:

I was an advocate early on for Texas hiring Brad Underwood... I still am. As an SFA grad, I hated to lose him, but I knew we would eventually. Might as well lose him to my *heart* team, Texas. Now, we see Underwood’s coaching genius emerge, at a Big-10 program. I hope the Illini win it all (assuming Texas doesn’t). 

Our two oldest children are ACU grads. We are proud ACU made the tourney, but we’re doubtful they play spoiler. Just hope it’s not a 100-50 type of result. 

SFA should be gone all out to keep Boynton. Mistake there imo.

7 minutes ago, petscii said:

I feel the need to point out that Abilene Christian ended the baseball season last year for Texas.  (completely without context of course)

https://texassports.com/sports/baseball/stats/2020/abilene-christian/boxscore/13387

That was my last big day out before covid... ate at Matt’s, went to the bicycle store on Congress, then the game. Hopefully, we can get out and go to events without worrying again soon. 

18 hours ago, Lobo said:

I try to avoid these kinds of threads, because while I can't prove I have jinxed UT football in the past, I firmly believe I have jinxed UT basketball and the Houston Astros when I post in those threads.

8 points is probably right.