Casey Hampton for the Hall of Fame

MaybeACoordinator

This guy gets it.

#10 DT of all time.

Career: 2001-present

Teams: Pittsburgh Steelers

Achievements: two-time Super Bowl champion, five-time Pro Bowler, two-time All-Pro

Although the other Hampton—the Bears great, Dan—has a claim to this spot, Casey Hampton's dominance from the nose tackle position in Pittsburgh helps him earn the tenth spot. 

Finding a great nose tackle to be the centerpiece of a defense is difficult to achieve, yet the Steelers found one in the first round of the 2001 NFL Draft. 

During the past 10 years, there have been far better pass rushers in Pittsburgh, including James Harrison, Joey Porter, LaMarr Woodley and even Troy Polamalu or James Farrior.

But the Steelers defense has been so dominant over the past decade, because they stop the run with consistency. And with Hampton taking up two or three blockers at a time, he is the chief reason why.  

Maybe Hampton isn't a playmaker at the level of a Vince Wilfork or Haloti Ngata or the players ahead of him on this list. But because he's been the anchor of a Steelers defense that has dominated the NFL for a full decade, he deserves consideration. 

I'm fully in support of this campaign. He was also one of the greatest college football players I've seen play. Completely unappreciated while here because we didn't fluff the media enough to pump him up.

If I had to have a Mount Rushmore of Texas players since I was on campus it would be Vince Young, Casey Hampton, Ricky Williams, and Earl Thomas with Colt McCoy, Derrick Johnson, and Jamaal Charles just missing out. Casey Hampton was that ridiculous in college and almost nobody knows about it.

• Hook 'Em 4

This idiot does not

According to this moron, who, to be fair, doesn't appear to know what a nose guard even is, or has stretched its meaning beyond all sense, has Hampton below Bob Baumhower, Shaun Rogers (who would laugh at this), Bill Maas, Tim Krumrie, Linval Joseph, and the SMU duo of Jerry Ball and Michael Carter. (Who were both freaks.)

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm with you but don't think it will ever happen. He was on the long list of finalists this year but didn't make the cut down 25 list: 

https://www.nfl.com/news/peyton-manning-leads-130-modern-era-nominees-for-pro-football-hall-of-fame-class

He was incredible for those Steelers teams but you are right about his role. Just didn't produce numbers so it's hard to point to how great he was aside from team defense success and NFL people just personally vouching for it. Glad he had a good long career and a couple rings. 

Reminds me what a defensive line we had his senior year though. Hampton & Rodgers in the middle with Redding and Kalen Thornton at the ends and a young Marcus Tubbs on the depth chart. That's over 30 years of NFL experience just with the first 3 guys. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I'm with you but don't think it will ever happen. He was on the long list of finalists this year but didn't make the cut down 25 list: 

https://www.nfl.com/news/peyton-manning-leads-130-modern-era-nominees-for-pro-football-hall-of-fame-class

He was incredible for those Steelers teams but you are right about his role. Just didn't produce numbers so it's hard to point to how great he was aside from team defense success and NFL people just personally vouching for it. Glad he had a good long career and a couple rings. 

Reminds me what a defensive line we had his senior year though. Hampton & Rodgers in the middle with Redding and Kalen Thornton at the ends and a young Marcus Tubbs on the depth chart. That's over 30 years of NFL experience just with the first 3 guys. 

Just hoping for a Sabermetrics type reassessment I guess. That's his only shot. 

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Completely unappreciated while here because we didn't fluff the media enough to pump him up.

I appreciated the hell out of him and Shaun Rogers.  Watching opposing O lines try to block both of them was a comedy show.

thank you for the Casey love. G-town hola!

Anyone who is even a casual observer of defensive schemes and personel will know the value of a bad motherfucking NT keeping the line. The entire success of the Steelers ran through that ability. He is one of the most dominant football players I have ever seen, at any level, ever. His body type was unreal. Short, stout, huge fucking legs. Like a fucking cannon ball. His last two years as a longhorn I think he notched 100 tackles each? or something silly. Just unreal strength and quickness. 

I think of it like a pickup game. I am there with guys like Larry Allen and Casey for my first picks. 

rlewvfaayf4xg8f6dazt.jpg

Edited by staboner
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Seems like there are a couple of people on these boards who had to try to block him in HS. Or played with dudes who did or something like that. Just thinking about what an explosive athlete he was -- 6'1, 330, and still able to dunk a basketball -- makes me shudder on their behalf. 

I remember him blasting the entire side of highschool offensive off the ball every play of the first drive once. Was the first game of the year and out of conference. Ball versus Klein something maybe. No scouting, nothing. Was hilarious. Poor fuckers had no idea wtf was happening to them. I don't remember what year Casey was though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Dude had 329 tackles in college, 177 solo. Led the team in tkls back to back years.... as an effing DT. He was the original Suh, f that, better than Suh AND not a cocksucker.

Frame of reference, Warren sapp 176 career tkls. Suh “heisman” year was 85 tkls.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Seems like there are a couple of people on these boards who had to try to block him in HS. Or played with dudes who did or something like that. Just thinking about what an explosive athlete he was -- 6'1, 330, and still able to dunk a basketball -- makes me shudder on their behalf. 
We played him. Moved our D1 lineman from tackle to guard and Casey just threw him around like a rag doll all game. Having him and Shaun in the same district was brutal. Jammer as well.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm fully in support of this campaign. He was also one of the greatest college football players I've seen play. Completely unappreciated while here because we didn't fluff the media enough to pump him up.

7 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I appreciated the hell out of him and Shaun Rogers.  Watching opposing O lines try to block both of them was a comedy show.

Same. Definitely in on the campaign. Loved him when he was here.

3 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Same. Definitely in on the campaign. Loved him when he was here.

Campaigns do work -- we could join forces with Stiller Nation and get it done. 

I can't think of an analogy in any other sport: you have a guy who excelled at the highest level for a decade plus, who was quite possibly the very best ever to play in that position, a position which was the linchpin of many of the greatest defenses of that era, but whose candidacy is considered doomed because of our collective over-reliance on stats. 

I guess the closest analogy would be to offensive linemen -- they get in on reputation and subjective review of their performance. Hampton should get in on those same criteria, esp. if you make the case that his "only" making the Pro Bowl five times was due to him competing with lesser DTs who had slightly more glamorous roles on their teams.  

15 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

If the HOF voters had to vote with the candidates in the room he would get in on the first ballot.

I got to meet Hampton one evening at the Craps tables in Lake Charles. For as much of a badass as he was on the field, dude was very cool.  I couldn’t  help looking at him thinking he should be bigger, considering how immovable he was in the trenches. Really nice dude.  Zero asshole/ douchebag factor you might expect from someone like that. 

9 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Campaigns do work -- we could join forces with Stiller Nation and get it done. 

I can't think of an analogy in any other sport: you have a guy who excelled at the highest level for a decade plus, who was quite possibly the very best ever to play in that position, a position which was the linchpin of many of the greatest defenses of that era, but whose candidacy is considered doomed because of our collective over-reliance on stats. 

I guess the closest analogy would be to offensive linemen -- they get in on reputation and subjective review of their performance. Hampton should get in on those same criteria, esp. if you make the case that his "only" making the Pro Bowl five times was due to him competing with lesser DTs who had slightly more glamorous roles on their teams.  

I can think of one, not from sports: The pathetic 15-second tribute the Grammys gave EVH. Here's a guy who reinvented the instrument and the art, and they can't even get a number into the program for him? Fucking losers. 

• Rage+1 1

17 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

CTJ told the story where Hampton made the center on his high school team start crying in the huddle because he was abusing him so badly.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Machinator said:

Curious to see what HOF voters do with Vince Wilfork. If he doesn't get in, Hampton sadly doesn't have much of a shot.

Unfortunately it took a very long time for Curly Culp to get elected into the HOF and he is the OG of NFL nose guards.   Way, way too much emphasis on stats and not on the impact in the game.  

He should be in, but does he get hurt by Steeler fatigue?  

21 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yes, I am a homer, and yes, his stats are laughable for a Hall of Famer. He only had nine sacks for his entire career.

So what. Casey Hampton is a Hall of Famer.

Here is the case:

He made five Pro Bowls. Played in three Super Bowls, winning two. 

With Hampton clogging up the offensive line, the Steelers were a top five rushing D in 2001 and 2002 and then every year from 2004 through 2010 and again in 2012. Ten out of his 12 seasons, including his rookie season, when he split time with another dude (and in which the Steelers were not top 5).

To me, that is the true measure of his success. He was not asked to sack the QB or rack up other stats. He was asked to free up everyone else to do those things. He was a one-man man-advantage on every play as he required constant double-teaming. 

How was it then that he "only" made five Pro Bowls and was never first-team all-NFL? Because the NFL makes no distinctions between true nose guards and other DTs who are by nature of where they play more able to rack up sacks and TFLs and passes defensed and such. As a nose tackle in a 3-4, he had no chance against DTs in 4-3s.

He was flat-out the best all-time at his position, and that he is not already in the Hall of Fame shows how stupid Hall of Fame voters are. He was almost as disruptive in his own way as Lawrence Taylor was in his more readily visible way. 

Didn't he make the all-decade team at one point, too?

21 hours ago, slorch said:

Not listed on NFL site for the oughts' All decade Team.

He is named on the alltime Pittsburgh Steelers team.

https://www.si.com/nfl/Pittsburgh-Steelers-All-Time-Team

Appreciate it. I don't know why I thought that, but I'm sure it was just the Steelers all-decade team. But regardless, he was a great player. I wish the best for him, and it would be cool if he made the HOF. 

• 8 months later...
On 3/15/2021 at 6:30 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

This idiot does not

According to this moron, who, to be fair, doesn't appear to know what a nose guard even is, or has stretched its meaning beyond all sense, has Hampton below Bob Baumhower, Shaun Rogers (who would laugh at this), Bill Maas, Tim Krumrie, Linval Joseph, and the SMU duo of Jerry Ball and Michael Carter. (Who were both freaks.)

^^^ This needs explanation.  As does this:

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Edited by Bullneck

Back in 2000, we ran into Casey Hampton on the beach at South Padre during spring break.  We had a keg and a Longhorn flag, so he stopped by and asked to refill his beer.  Of course we let him, so he hung around for a bit.  Super cool guy who was just out for a party like the rest of us.  Right before he left, there were some aggy’s partying next to us with their flag up, so Casey was like “watch this.”  He walked right up in the middle of the aggyfest and picked up their flag/pole and tossed it like a javelin right out into the water.  A couple of those dumbasses at first acted like they were going to do something about it until they saw who did it, then they just acted like everything was cool until Casey walked away.  We laughed our asses off the whole time.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/16/2021 at 12:04 AM, The Dog said:

No Kevin Greene?  Number 3 all time sack leader in an era with less passing.  

http://www.espn.com/nfl/history/leaders/_/stat/sacks

1 Bruce Smith 200
2 Reggie White 198
3 Kevin Greene 160
4 Julius Peppers 159 1/2
5 Chris Doleman 150 1/2
6 Michael Strahan 141 1/2
7 Jason Taylor 139 1/2
8 Terrell Suggs 139
9 DeMarcus Ware 138 1/2
10 Richard Dent 137 1/2