Best Comedy Central Raoster

closetohumping

15 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Thought it was Jeff Ross, now I wanna say Nikki Glaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ilu0Px_wE4

She's getting much better but the knock on her is that she writes less of her own roast material than any other comics on the dais (Obviously actors, public figures like Martha Stewart and musicians get a pass for having help).   but Nikki leans extremely heavy on other lesser-known comics to write her material for her which is the opposite of what greats like Giraldo, Patrice, Norm, Silverman, Schumer, et. al. do...they write almost all of their own material.  She's got a funny delivery, but I'm of the comedic opinion that roast zingers should be given points for being invented, not just delivered.  Not her fault, the Comedy Central format is very rigid nowadays.  Get zinged on your intro walk up there, bag on the dais, pepper in personal anecdotes about how you know the roastee (or how you don't know them in some cases), get in 5-7 harsh digs on them, closing joke, and then wish them well.  There's not much room anymore for riffing or dais interaction.  Far cry from the old ones, but still hilarious especially when the roastee has some checkered past.  

I'd say the top 3 are (in no particular order and remember I'm giving credit to not just stage delivery, but original content over multiple roasts)  Giraldo, Jeselnik, and Leggero 

26 minutes ago, Lobo said:

She's getting much better but the knock on her is that she writes less of her own roast material than any other comics on the dais (Obviously actors, public figures like Martha Stewart and musicians get a pass for having help).   but Nikki leans extremely heavy on other lesser-known comics to write her material for her which is the opposite of what greats like Giraldo, Patrice, Norm, Silverman, Schumer, et. al. do...they write almost all of their own material.  She's got a funny delivery, but I'm of the comedic opinion that roast zingers should be given points for being invented, not just delivered.  Not her fault, the Comedy Central format is very rigid nowadays.  Get zinged on your intro walk up there, bag on the dais, pepper in personal anecdotes about how you know the roastee (or how you don't know them in some cases), get in 5-7 harsh digs on them, closing joke, and then wish them well.  There's not much room anymore for riffing or dais interaction.  Far cry from the old ones, but still hilarious especially when the roastee has some checkered past.  

I'd say the top 3 are (in no particular order and remember I'm giving credit to not just stage delivery, but original content over multiple roasts)  Giraldo, Jeselnik, and Leggero 

She does, but if you watch enough, you can see it coming.  Still hilarious but there's a consistent pattern.

I often watch the Ann Coulter roast clips when I'm feeling depressed

On 3/16/2021 at 11:24 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

Ross is a caricature now, but once upon a time at the Courtney love roast, he asked Courtney how it’s possible she looks worse than Kurt.  

The best Jeff Ross line is still:  I wouldn’t fuck Bea Arthur with Bea Arthur’s dick.

Funny story about that.  I can’t remember when that roast took place but it was early/mid-2000s.  At that time, Kornheiser had a local DC radio show.  It was part of the ESPN network, so he had a bunch of ESPN talking heads on the show.  This was about the time when shows started streaming, his was one of the first to stream.  Since the advertisers were only paying for radio time, they would leave the mics open on the stream during the commercial breaks and every once and a while there would be some good not-for-broadcast conversations that would go on.  Anyhow, the week after the roast where Ross used the Bea Arthur line, Rich Eisen was on the show.  He and Kornheiser were going over what they were going to talk about during the break before he went on.  So after they are done with that, Kornheiser asks what he’s been up to and Eisen tells him he was at this roast and tells the Ross story.  Everyone in the studio is losing it and Kornheiser asks his producer “Dennis, are we still streaming?”  Dennis replies with, “Umm.  Yeah.”  Eisen was not amused that his story went out over the internets.