America is one of the most toxic places I've ever been

Wanker Bob

11 hours ago, Captainant said:

TFW Texas operates its own disconnected grid specifically to avoid federal regulation and oversight.

You really thing the Texas grid is bereft of any Federal oversight or regulations?  Want to talk about AZ oceanfront property next?

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

You really thing the Texas grid is bereft of any Federal oversight or regulations?  Want to talk about AZ oceanfront property next?

Yes, it really is. There's been supreme court cases on the issue from the handful of times our grid connected to a neighbor state. Google the "midnight connection". 

ERCOT exists (on paper) to independently enforce the oversight that the feds do literally everywhere else in the continental US. Are you really this uninformed?

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1

There was an interesting article about the grid failure in the Sunday Chronicle.  It placed a good deal of the blame on natural gas producers and facilities for failing to file a simple 2 page form with the PUC establishing them as a critical infrastructure.  If I remember correctly it stated that about 1/3 of the gas production facilities that had power cut had failed to file the form and that was the reason.  It also pointed out that this was a significant problem in the last failure.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I sort of agree with this.  But, had the wind power incentives not been available, and the cash free for something else, I am relatively certain that it would have been invested in something profit-making or at least revenue-generating rather than purely preventive.

I see it perfectly well.  A corporation does not have to take every incentive offered it by the government except in some perverted world where a corporation is ruled only and entirely by taking every profit opportunity made available to it, despite its other "responsibilities."

You keep saying "corporation" as if we are back top using this opaque, sinister caricature.  It was not "a" corporation, or a multitude of them.  It was investors looking for returns on monies.  That's entirely the point of ANY investment.  Again, are you investments allocated based upon their goodwill to your fellow man?  Of course not, so stop acting like this is unique.  Misplaced & mismanaged Federal subsidies manipulate markets all the time.  Sometimes to your benefit, and often to the latter.

Had these subsidies not been present, then more familiar and proven methodologies would have been followed - namely tried and true coal and natural gas and we'd be having a completely different argument about how archaic Texas is in not pursuing vigorously renewable energy sources.

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

You assume that it's a Black Swan event.  First of all, a prior such event occurred in 2011 prompting recommendations that were ignored by all available evidence. 

I assume, because it meets every standard for this definition.  A storm the likes of which hasn't been seen in the state in over a century?  I'm not saying NOTHING should have been done.  I'm saying you can dig up white papers that give one the predilection to say "I told you so" on virtually everything.  From the 911 attacks, to the market drop in 2007, to Enron to the 2016 election to this.  

Nor am I saying to do nothing was the proper course of action.  What I'm saying is had we done something, we don't even know if it would have been sufficient because nobody was alive the last time a storm of this magnitude hit (and quit saying 2011 was anything close.  It was not)  We could invest billions to keep this from EVER happening, and wait another century....or maybe it hits next year.  There is a finite amount of money to do all of this on al already stretched budget, so I see why they made the choices that they did.  

15 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Yes, it really is. There's been supreme court cases on the issue from the handful of times our grid connected to a neighbor state. Google the "midnight connection". 

ERCOT exists (on paper) to independently enforce the oversight that the feds do literally everywhere else in the continental US. Are you really this uninformed?

The grid today has outside connections.  Not large, but they exist in both E.Texas and with Mexico.  ERCOT manages 90% of the state's energy.  Further, the state must also ensure adequate market rules, mechanisms, and financial structures to allow distributed resources to provide system services.  This has always been in place.  

You said ZERO oversight or regulations.  That is not true.  

10 hours ago, Captainant said:

Fun (depressing) fact - nearly all the water that flows in the Rio Grande comes from Mexico. It used to be mostly fed by the Colorado River, but all those tributaries have dried up from damming and human usage. There's a huge loss of biodiversity down in the valley due to the loss of the nutrient-rich Colorado River silt that is no longer getting deposited into the Rio. It's gonna look much different for our kids kids than it does today.

When cut/pasting from outside websites/chatrooms goes wrong....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Have you fixed your Colorado River geography yet?

Guess I listened to the wrong hippie last time I was down there lmao. 

Mea culpa, I was incorrect. I'll edit it if youd prefer

Edit: I was wrong on the river, but right regarding diminishing water tributaries to the Rio from Colorado snowmelt. The majority of the water flowing in the Rio is no longer from snowmelt and it's US based tributaries and the river is drying up. 

Edited by Captainant

8 hours ago, Chief Ouray said:

Even if you are talking about the Texas' Colorado River drainage, it also has nothing to do with the Rio Grande River drainage.

I don't know man, I'm pretty sure the diversion channel and the ol Rio Grande are the same thing, maybe.  They are both in Texas anyhow.  

9 hours ago, Chief Ouray said:

The Rio Grande River and its drainage is in no way related to the Colorado River.  Its headwaters start in the mountains above the San Luis Valley in Colorado and flow south/southeast through New Mexico before forming the Texas/Mexico border.  The Colorado River drainage is on the other side of the Continental Divide and flows south/southwest.  Even if you are talking about the Texas' Colorado River drainage, it also has nothing to do with the Rio Grande River drainage.

tenor (5).gif

1 minute ago, deadshank said:

There is plenty to criticize.  Misplaced criticism is the problem most have with Wanker.   

And then along comes you to give us your typical one sentence drive by commentary that means absolutely nothing but makes you feel good about yourself and gets the usual nods of approval from your like-minded types.  

Just another Tuesday.  

So we can eat the birds now?

3 hours ago, David Dennison said:

America sucks, all white people are racist, and we should be like the rest of the world.

Typical DD post ^^^^

PRO TIP:  The rest of the world has pretty much the same issues America does, 'cept they don't financially support a great deal of the world like we do.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/22/2021 at 8:30 AM, Nivek said:

Poor attempt at deflection.  I live in Texas and pay taxes to Texas.  California and the price of tea in China has fuck all to do with what happened here.  This was a complete leadership failure in Texas.  

It's not deflection.   You simply pointed out this was R's fault.   Like the D's are in any way more competent.   I'll take Texas electric pricing and a once a decade issue,  than California pricing and annual outages.   

1 hour ago, Poolflood said:

It's not deflection.   You simply pointed out this was R's fault.   Like the D's are in any way more competent.   I'll take Texas electric pricing and a once a decade issue,  than California pricing and annual outages.   

https://www.kut.org/energy-environment/2021-02-24/texas-power-grid-was-4-minutes-and-37-seconds-away-from-collapsing-heres-how-it-happened?fbclid=IwAR2nll488OTjeB7UwHPdRDhCcZ1r0ctsfrBAyjTv1kNRJlPZsRcJqKEq7VM

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I would prefer a system that doesn’t lead us into mad max thunderdome but I guess that’s just me.

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Anyone who defends what happened here with power in Texas in February did not live through it or is just a liar.

All of that could have been put into one post.

Where did I defend it?  Dipnic said "cause R r dumb"

I retorted d's are no better.

5 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

All of that could have been put into one post.

Where did I defend it?  Dipnic said "cause R r dumb"

I retorted d's are no better.

Sorry. I suck at posting on the net.

Not to CR this too much but we all know who has been in charge of this state for 25 years. They totally fucked up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

Sorry. I suck at posting on the net.

Not to CR this too much but we all know who has been in charge of this state for 25 years. They totally fucked up.

Bullshit you're not trying to cr.  And btw most anything the govt touches they fuck up.  But you would prefer to give them more money and power as long as there's a D by their name.  But u do u

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

Bullshit you're not trying to cr.  And btw most anything the govt touches they fuck up.  But you would prefer to give them more money and power as long as there's a D by their name.  But u do u

I just want the lights to stay on in Texas. Sorry if that desire bothers you. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Lights stayed on just fine at all sorts of unoccupied commercial buildings downtown. 

That’s a good point. Also the PUC chair assured Wall Street that the profits they made that week were safe and sound. Oh and the 16 billion in overcharges to customers weren’t getting reversed. Forgot who said that but I’m sure it’s on google. 

Yep. Government in Texas is the problem. A big one too. 

• Like 1

Not to worry though. Ted Cruz sent an email that very week while he was in Cancun tanning on the beach to AG Ken Paxton while he was busy skiing in Utah about the problem and they came up with a perfect solution. Just sue Obama. 

Edited by clapclapclap

14 hours ago, Poolflood said:

Yes they are more competent.  The winterizing legislation was put forth by D's.  It was ignored by R's.  The failure is all R's.   You are still talking about California and still trying to deflect.  

we know Texas Dems would have dealt promptly with winterization recommendations from a commissioned report following an extreme winter weather event.  Especially one that threatened the state's grid.    Except though they did the opposite following the 1989 storm and report.  Report issued in late 1990.  Ann Richards sworn in and Dem Leg convened in January 1991 and did...nothing.  Both parties f'ed this up.  The Reps just did it more recently.       

Edited by AggieFactFinder

34 minutes ago, AggieFactFinder said:

we know Texas Dems would have dealt promptly with winterization recommendations from a commissioned report following an extreme winter weather event.  Especially one that threatened the state's grid.    Except though they did the opposite following the 1989 storm and report.  Report issued in late 1990.  Ann Richards sworn in and Dem Leg convened in January 1991 and did...nothing.  Both parties f'ed this up.  The Reps just did it more recently.       

spacer.png

Nah, they totally were all in on winterization and it would have happened but for the Texas GOP.  It was a major part of the Democratic platform in Texas that they were shouting from the roof tops.

Edited by Johnny Sack

3 hours ago, Nivek said:

Yes they are more competent.  The winterizing legislation was put forth by D's.  It was ignored by R's.  The failure is all R's.   You are still talking about California and still trying to deflect.  

If the rturds don’t fix it, then vote dturd. If the rturds actually fix it, then there is no reason to vote dturd.....is there?

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

If the rturds don’t fix it, then vote dturd. If the rturds actually fix it, then there is no reason to vote dturd.....is there?

Leadership, it is about reacting to your own mistakes.  Not avoiding them in the first place.  /Republicans

4 hours ago, AggieFactFinder said:

Did half of the entire state lose power for a week in 89? Because I was here then and don’t remember that happening. It did get really cold though.

Weird. Maybe our power system was better back then for some unknown and unknowable reason.