America is one of the most toxic places I've ever been

Wanker Bob

4 hours ago, AggieFactFinder said:

we know Texas Dems would have dealt promptly with winterization recommendations from a commissioned report following an extreme winter weather event.  Especially one that threatened the state's grid.    Except though they did the opposite following the 1989 storm and report.  Report issued in late 1990.  Ann Richards sworn in and Dem Leg convened in January 1991 and did...nothing.  Both parties f'ed this up.  The Reps just did it more recently.       

Did half of the entire state lose power for a week in 89? Because I was here then and don’t remember that happening. It did get really cold though.

Weird. Maybe our power system was better back then for some unknown and unknowable reason.

4 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

spacer.png

Nah, they totally were all in on winterization and it would have happened but for the Texas GOP.  It was a major part of the Democratic platform in Texas that they were shouting from the roof tops.

No they were just introducing bills to fix it for the last 10 years that the republicans completely blocked because it would annoy their money donors.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nivek said:

Yes they are more competent.  The winterizing legislation was put forth by D's.  It was ignored by R's.  The failure is all R's.   You are still talking about California and still trying to deflect.  

Fuck dude.  They're all fucking incompetent.   Stop being a bitch.  Ann Richards could rise up from the dead and run this state for 25 years and shit would still be borked.  And I only bring up Ann because I got to vote for her when I turned 18.  /csb

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

Fuck dude.  They're all fucking incompetent.   Stop being a bitch.  Ann Richards could rise up from the dead and run this state for 25 years and shit would still be borked.  And I only bring up Ann because I got to vote for her when I turned 18.  /csb

Ann wasn’t incompetent you insufferable twat. Stop with the self loathing projection.

Edited by JimmyJames

9 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Ann wasn’t incompetent you insufferable twat. Stop with the self loathing projection.

LOLz.  That's the very spirit of the thread.

12 hours ago, Poolflood said:

After such a reasonable, stable and thoughtful post, I must agree that the evidence on the price of tea in China is completely relevant and though the GOP has tried nothing,  they could never have imagined an event that only happened 10 years earlier, and the people who did try to offer a solution are just as bad so both sides, we should keep electing the people who did nothing. 

15 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Holy shit.

Remember when the Democrats created a team to deal with pathogens that predicted a new virus could come out of China in 2019, but Trump shut it down, downplayed the lethality of the virus and 500,000 people died?  Yeah, that wasn't awesome. 

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

Remember when the Democrats created a team to deal with pathogens that predicted a new virus could come out of China in 2019, but Trump shut it down, downplayed the lethality of the virus and 500,000 people died?  Yeah, that wasn't awesome. 

That totally would have stopped it as we know China was allowing full and open access to Wuhan from outside scientists.

We should have some score keeping on red versus blue once this thing is over.  I propose we could up per capita death rates and unemployment rates and see which states managed it better.  Fair?

spacer.png

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

That totally would have stopped it as we know China was allowing full and open access to Wuhan from outside scientists.

We should have some score keeping on red versus blue once this thing is over.  I propose we could up per capita death rates and unemployment rates and see which states managed it better.  Fair?

spacer.png

No deal.  Stay on topic. The team on the ground could have helped with early response since that is exactly what they were there for.  Early response and recognition, begins the process of developing identification methods sooner and ultimately a vaccine sooner.   A non-dumbfuck president would not have slow-rolled the shutdown, not have undermined the effectiveness of the CDC and their recommendations and helped people save lives by not making a virus a political statement, and sought out the acquisition, manufacturing and distribution of PPE BEFORE the virus spread to the US!   I know this seems like crystal ball thinking to you, but it is entirely predictable for some of us.   

Look at the distribution of the vaccine, a public good, being limited by private entities to whomever they wish to hand it out too?  Methodist Hospitals told anyone not apart of their group to fuck off, only their established patients matter.   MD Anderson claimed their vaccine was for patients only.  Kroger said only elderly, healthcare workers, and people working at assisted living facilities could have access.   Why are private companies scrambling at the last minute to come up with a system of scheduling appointments?  I suppose administering the vaccine was an unimaginable problem that could not have been avoided.  I mean it has NEVER been done before on a mass scale even prior to computers right?   

(Here I will diverge from the topic a little) Leadership matters.  And when they fuck up it matters.  Here you are trying to distract with Andrew Cuomo from NY while our own Texas politicians declared children couldn't contract it, could be harmed, made jokes about it, still don't use PPE, declared mask mandates unenforceable* (fines) and declared Texas open when less than 10% of the population had received a vaccine shot.   Why did they not prepare for the fucking winterizing of utilities and have no contingency?  

20 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Holy shit.

A real world example:

Sales: Hey, we have a project that will run an 24 hours operations.  We are contracted there to be available for the duration of the project.  But it should only be 24 hours.  

Do you, send 1 man to cover the shift.  One engineer claims he can do it by himself.   Do you send 2 men to cover the shift? 

The leader of the geophysics team sent 2 men.  The leader of the engineering team sent 1 man.  The project went for 4 days and then engineer quit.   Which leader made the correct call?  Did the engineer make the correct call if the project went off without a hitch?  Was the geophysics lead armed with a crystal ball where only he could predict that a frac stimulation could have delays in starting, changes in completion stage density, and issues with a wireline perforating team (slow)?    

2 minutes ago, Nivek said:

A real world example:

Sales: Hey, we have a project that will run an 24 hours operations.  We are contracted there to be available for the duration of the project.  But it should only be 24 hours.  

Do you, send 1 man to cover the shift.  One engineer claims he can do it by himself.   Do you send 2 men to cover the shift? 

The leader of the geophysics team sent 2 men.  The leader of the engineering team sent 1 man.  The project went for 4 days and then engineer quit.   Which leader made the correct call?  Did the engineer make the correct call if the project went off without a hitch?  Was the geophysics lead armed with a crystal ball where only he could predict that a frac stimulation could have delays in starting, changes in completion stage density, and issues with a wireline perforating team (slow)?    

Two things jump out at me:

1. Somebody trusted something Sales said.

2. In the Army, the person who thinks everything will work quickly with no hitches has a name: Second Lieutenant. There are other people, named Sergeants and Captains, who are there to guide the Second Lieutenant back to reality.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nivek said:

A real world example:

Fire the “sales” leader

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

spacer.png

you seem like you've regained your footing and are ready to talk politics again.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Did half of the entire state lose power for a week in 89? Because I was here then and don’t remember that happening. It did get really cold though.

Weird. Maybe our power system was better back then for some unknown and unknowable reason.

it's disappointing so many are unaware of our history on this issue; particularly the 1990 report.  I don't know if our power system is objectively better or worse today.  Supplying power for 17 million (1989) is probably different than supplying power for 30 million.  I suspect there are other variables, such as the extremity and duration of cold temps.  Regardless it's a shame the 1991 Leg. ignored such a problem when it was first identified (which was, by the way, during the period of regulation; a real head-scratcher since one would think regulation solves all problems).  And that the other party ignored it after it took power.

• Like 1

it would be interesting if instead of hanging out over the pizza with one liners - our disenfranchised American friends would discuss politics in the politics board. sure it is its own circle jerk too - no doubt - but circling jerking up is way more fun than down. 

you homies have a good day. no nuke friday is blinking all 10s. i am beside myself

ZP%2BA=&risl=1&pid=ImgRaw

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

At least Trump didn’t cover up the fact that it escaped from a biological warfare lab

Whether it came from a bio lab or not (and I've never subscribed to the concept it came from a weapons lab), the fact that their wet markets have accounted for at least a couple of the last big bugs to plague the planet speaks volumes about China, and how backward they still are.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

5 hours ago, AggieFactFinder said:

it's disappointing so many are unaware of our history on this issue; particularly the 1990 report.  I don't know if our power system is objectively better or worse today.  Supplying power for 17 million (1989) is probably different than supplying power for 30 million.  I suspect there are other variables, such as the extremity and duration of cold temps.  Regardless it's a shame the 1991 Leg. ignored such a problem when it was first identified (which was, by the way, during the period of regulation; a real head-scratcher since one would think regulation solves all problems).  And that the other party ignored it after it took power.

How about you post this report then? You know, so we can actually read it instead of just taking the word of some aggy poster with 31 posts?

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Whether it came from a bio lab or not (and I've never subscribed to the concept it came from a weapons lab), the fact that their wet markets have accounted for at least a couple of the last big bugs to plague the planet speaks volumes about China, and how backward they still are.

Link 1  Link 2

Try not to spread false information.  

• Like 1