America is one of the most toxic places I've ever been

Wanker Bob

53 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

No question that the EU has stepped on its dick on vaccine administration.  I sure haven't claimed they are perfect - shit, any place with a gov't and bureaucracy will fuck SOMETHING up (probably several somethings, it's what people do).  Different countries get better performance in different areas.  My whole point (not the OP's -- he certainly went farther than I did) is that when it comes to choosing a place for overall quality of life, the US isn't any clear "we're number 1!"  Between our decline since our golden era of 1945-1975, and the improvement in performance and quality of life in western europe, australia, korea, and yes, even Uruguay, we're not a super duper gold medal performer.*  If my kids choose to make their lives in Canada, Europe, etc., are they taking a step down?  I don't think so.  Some things will be better, some things will be worse, but on a composite score....the "USA!  USA!  WE'RE #1!" jingoism just doesn't fly.

And the fact that so many of us are so damned defensive about that blows me away.  It's okay to acknowledge reality.  It's okay to realize that in terms of opportunity for the lower middle class and middle class, we're not what we once were.  In fact, we SHOULD acknowledge those things.  Because that's how we focus on our issues and work on making them better.  I mean, I can sit around and insist that I'm still in as good a shape as I was when I was 18, but I'd be ignoring the reality of my significantly thicker middle and my bum knee.  I should acknowledge those realities, so maybe I will focus on shedding some pounds and getting my knee fixed.  If I just sit around and keep pronouncing myself "the greatest athlete in the world!", I won't work on any of those things.  I have to admit it, I'm baffled by how vehement, vitrolic, and ANGRY the resistance is to the idea that maybe we're not the best at everything, and we should work on improving ourselves.  Why are we so invested in lying to ourselves?

* Except in terms of military might.  On that, yep, we're #1, and #2 ain't even close.  And we pay for that.  But for sure, if you need somebody bombed, we're the undisputed champs.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Texas power grid sucks and highlights how shitty the state is.  That's why every day thousands of people illegally cross the border and move to Mexico in search of a better life.

43 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I'm not sure "Better than Mexico" would be a great state motto

I mean....if we're gonna benchmark ourselves against Mexico, and Honduras, you bet!  We're awesome!

It's kind of like bragging about how you are practically an Olympic gold medalist because you're the fittest person at Wal-Mart at 2:00 on a weekday.....umm, congrats.  You're super in-shape, because you're fitter than this guy......

Resized-WSLYY-e1496249318339.jpg?q=50&fi

Our Texas grid is fucked.  Our power prices are middle of the road.  Take out the NE (which has its own complications, including density and age, that make maintaining an aging grid significantly more expensive, and California, which got fucked multiple ways, including by Enron), and we're nothing special.  There are plenty of states with lesser resources with lower power prices.  And, you know, they don't kill people in their homes.

The Texas electric system is fucked.  It was fucked as designed, produced fucked results, and if allowed to remain as-is, will continue to be fucked.  Again....I don't understand the strident and angry resistance to acknowledging that pretty obvious conclusion? 

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I was too busy checking my pipes and tending to the family, but didn’t several of our neighbors lose power, too? Could we have even drawn from them?

I did and thousands more did in Oregon. I get what you're saying, but damn do I wonder how that happened.

Edited by workswithseed

25 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I was too busy checking my pipes and tending to the family, but didn’t several of our neighbors lose power, too? Could we have even drawn from them?

MISO didn't have major outages -- they had some short-term rolling outages, but it wasn't a disaster.   The Western interconnect was fine, as were other areas of the Eastern interconnect that we could have accessed.

I don't think anyone would be too flipped out if we had some smaller scale rolling outages (no system is perfect, and no system can operate perfectly in every contingency).  If 200k people in Austin had to be rotated off of power for 4 hours on Monday, that would have been annoying, but fine -- in that people wouldn't have frozen to death in their own homes, had their pipes freeze inside the house, etc.  Short term rolling outages happened in other locations.  But nothing like we had here, both in terms of time and scale (and don't forget -- cost.  Check out the overall cost of power in the 5 days of the storm).

Dude.  It was a shitshow.

Edited by Brisketexan

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

MISO didn't have major outages -- they had some short-term rolling outages, but it wasn't a disaster.   The Western interconnect was fine, as were other areas of the Eastern interconnect that we could have accessed.

I don't think anyone would be too flipped out if we had some smaller scale rolling outages.  If 200k people in Austin had to be rotated off of power for 4 hours on Monday, that would have been annoying, but fine -- in that people wouldn't have frozen to death in their own homes, had their pipes freeze inside the house, etc.

Dude.  It was a shitshow.

Was just curious; I don't know how all this shit works.  I know we need to strengthen our ENTIRE grid, but that's not really the convo here.  I only lost power for 22 hours, on the last night.  But apparently that was enough to fuck some stuff up in my house too.  I don't know how those that did for several days without. 

Well, let me clear that up for you: some of them froze to death.  In their own homes, they froze to death.

That shit should not happen in a functioning "first world" country/state.

While I understand your sentiment, people die of heat even in glorious and wonderful NYC when they have their blackouts.   

Just now, fattyflattie said:

While I understand your sentiment, people die of heat even in glorious and wonderful NYC when they have their blackouts.   

Actually, they mostly die without the need for a blackout because a lot of residences in the NE were not designed with intense summer heat in mind.  Every few years, a massive heatwave hits Chicago and people die because they live in homes that don't have A/C.  That's an entirely different bird.

People also freeze to death when they go out hiking in the winter and get lost, and all that shit.  People here have homes.  With heaters.  Which they literally count on to keep them alive in brutal cold.  And they didn't have them when they were needed, because our system fucking failed, and failed hard.

For fucks sake.  While tragic, people freeze to death every winter across the country and across the globe.  What would lead to hundreds if not thousands of deaths would be a delayed outage in the middle of summer.  The heat stroke victims of the very young and very old would be catastrophic.  The horrible summer a year back in France killed more than 1,500 people (we lost close to 15).  That would be many multiples more if we went for a significant period of time with no way to cool ourselves over the summer.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

For fucks sake.  While tragic, people freeze to death every winter across the country and across the globe.  What would lead to hundreds if not thousands of deaths would be a delayed outage in the middle of summer.  The heat stroke victims of the very young and very old would be catastrophic.  The horrible summer a year back in France killed more than 1,500 people (we lost close to 15).  That would be many multiples more if we went for a significant period of time with no way to cool ourselves over the summer.  

The heat and cold kill people all over the world, you bet.  Almost always because they and/or their dwellings are not built to handle the extremes.

Ours are.  We just count on one of the basic utilities, electricity, to handle it.  Come on, people.  For my whole life, when you read about a place that has large power outages, leading to economic or human costs, you think "man, what a shithole -- can't even keep the lights on."  It's one of the basic benchmarks of a high-functioning system vs. a broken one.  It always has been.  

And we failed to clear it, miserably.  That's a real thing, that happened.

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

One thing that would have been all too easy was to voluntarily shut some of the commercial power off.  Way too many lights in unoccupied buildings in Houston during this shit.  

That would require 1) some advance planning, like telling certain power consumers that in the case of a blackout risk, they would be asked to turn off power consumption, and/or 2) better isolated circuits so that specific areas like that could be shut off without shutting off critical areas (so, the power would be shut off for them).  There was no such planning.

The planning on this failed, on multiple levels, starting with the grid design at deregulation, and going on from there.

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

For my whole life, when you read about a place that has large power outages, leading to economic or human costs, you think "man, what a shithole -- can't even keep the lights on."  It's one of the basic benchmarks of a high-functioning system vs. a broken one.  It always has been.  

To be honest, 90% of the time I read that, it's in California and NY.  Hardly shitholes.  

That would require 1) some advance planning, like telling certain power consumers that in the case of a blackout risk, they would be asked to turn off power consumption, and/or 2) better isolated circuits so that specific areas like that could be shut off without shutting off critical areas (so, the power would be shut off for them).  There was no such planning.

The planning on this failed, on multiple levels, starting with the grid design at deregulation, and going on from there.

I don't really disagree with this.  But they sure af asked me not to run dryers, dishwashers, etc.   Property managers of high rises didn't think it would be cool if they went and turned off 1500 office lights for a week.   I know lighting doesn't use a ton of power, but looking at downtown it looked like any other night, when we know damn well between the pandemic and the lack of access, no one was in those offices.  They just didn't gaf, which is a problem imo. 

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The heat and cold kill people all over the world, you bet.  Almost always because they and/or their dwellings are not built to handle the extremes.

You mean like a 120 year storm?  This is Texas.  Our grid, and the construction of our homes is to mitigate for the most part heat.  The roofs we have, the radiant barrier attics, the window designs, etc.  My parents house in WA state is very different that mine due to the geographical differences in the region (namely all brick construction and a solid concrete slab).  Nor do many homes even come with AC and their grid is not designed to withstand a summer usage output that ours is.  Many homes have propane, even in urban areas.  The list goes on.  

Most grids are like this.  They are tailored to suit the majority of the climactic patterns of the region they serve.  Could it be better.  Of course.  Could we shut down 100% of those worthless windfarms that require so much time and maintenance and pivot hard to natural gas or nuclear.  Of course.  

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

You mean like a 120 year storm?  This is Texas.  Our grid, and the construction of our homes is to mitigate for the most part heat.  The roofs we have, the radiant barrier attics, the window designs, etc.  My parents house in WA state is very different that mine due to the geographical differences in the region (namely all brick construction and a solid concrete slab).  Nor do many homes even come with AC and their grid is not designed to withstand a summer usage output that ours is.  Many homes have propane, even in urban areas.  The list goes on.  

Most grids are like this.  They are tailored to suit the majority of the climactic patterns of the region they serve.  Could it be better.  Of course.  Could we shut down 100% of those worthless windfarms that require so much time and maintenance and pivot hard to natural gas or nuclear.  Of course.  

It seems like political opportunism to me.  Name me one politician on either side of the aisle, who had winterization of power plants as part of their campaign?

It was a 120 year storm.  Shit sometimes happens.  I for one do not want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. And I certainly don't want to pay California type prices with California regulations given me California annual blackouts when it gets hot in August.

• Hook 'Em 2

Cool, cool.  Oklahoma's grid didn't fail.  Iowa's didn't.  The temps were abnormally brutal for them, too.   Oh....and they have lots of wind power.  Imagine that.

Again, as noted in this thread, the relentless and reflexive defense of the US and Texas -- even when the fail SPECTACULARLY at something -- blows me away.  I mean, I love myself, that's a healthy thing to do.  But when I have failed spectacularly in my life -- and I have, more than once -- I don't fucking lie to myself over and over.

What happened here was an epic failure, a generation in the making.  A failure that we were WARNED about as a significant risk 10 years ago.  But nope, we're awesome, and if you think we failed, you just hate Texas and America and should LEAVE, or something, I guess.  As for me.....I dunno, maybe we should see it as a failure, admit it was a failure, and take meaningful steps not to repeat it, even if those steps are hard and painful.  But that's just me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Name me one politician on either side of the aisle, who had winterization of power plants as part of their campaign?

HOUSTON — Gov. Greg Abbott’s call to legislators to better protect the state’s power system comes after a decade of failed legislation to improve energy reliability.

Since a 2011 winter storm crippled the state, at least a half dozen bills filed went nowhere — some never making it out of committee.

Some of those bills were aimed at adding capacity, others at adding reliability requirements, others at adding fuel storage requirements (to do an end-around on weather risks).  And one was to winterize....which got so watered down that it was turned into a mere "recommend an agency to make recommendations" bill.

Plenty of people saw this coming and tried to do something.  The Lege shot them down cold.  All of them.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Nivek said:

Met a bunch of brits, here and over there. Got along with them well. Never once met one who gave a shit about the old empire and what not.

It is pretty good to read one with your username speak about other’s past glory. Pizarro FTW. (Yeah, my Peruvian friend went hot when I brought up that name.). She is great too.

I love working with the brits, but then I am not an Indian or Sri Lankan. Specially the wives of Manchester construction leads in Dubai talking about their subcontinent maids and gardeners. also spent a few years working in Southern Afghanistan in the UK Sector. The way the average infantry soldier would speak about the Ghurkas was astounding. Yeah, they still want an Empire and hate that they lost it. 

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean....if we're gonna benchmark ourselves against Mexico, and Honduras, you bet!  We're awesome!

It's kind of like bragging about how you are practically an Olympic gold medalist because you're the fittest person at Wal-Mart at 2:00 on a weekday.....umm, congrats.  You're super in-shape, because you're fitter than this guy......

Sounds like you're calling them shit hole countries.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Cool, cool.  Oklahoma's grid didn't fail.  Iowa's didn't.  The temps were abnormally brutal for them, too.   Oh....and they have lots of wind power.  Imagine that.

Again, as noted in this thread, the relentless and reflexive defense of the US and Texas -- even when the fail SPECTACULARLY at something -- blows me away.  I mean, I love myself, that's a healthy thing to do.  But when I have failed spectacularly in my life -- and I have, more than once -- I don't fucking lie to myself over and over.

What happened here was an epic failure, a generation in the making.  A failure that we were WARNED about as a significant risk 10 years ago.  But nope, we're awesome, and if you think we failed, you just hate Texas and America and should LEAVE, or something, I guess.  As for me.....I dunno, maybe we should see it as a failure, admit it was a failure, and take meaningful steps not to repeat it, even if those steps are hard and painful.  But that's just me.

Oklahoma?  You serious?  They lose power almost every year or every other year.  Often for weeks on end  MIL lives up there.  She's into histrionics and hyperbole.  You two would make a great couple.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

Oklahoma?  You serious?  They lose power almost every year or every other year.  Often for weeks on end  MIL lives up there.  She's into histrionics and hyperbole.  You two would make a great couple.

Local problem?  Or grid problem?  Because those are two entirely different animals.  The Southwest Power Pool area actually performs rather well.  They beat the pants off of our performance this February:

According to the Love County Emergency Management Office, individuals south of the Red River are experiencing frequent rolling blackouts, and some people across Oklahoma have been experiencing outages as the demand for electricity continues to increase. 

As of Monday morning, millions in Texas were without power. Fewer outages were reported in Oklahoma, but hundreds of customers were still being impacted. 

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

No question that the EU has stepped on its dick on vaccine administration.  I sure haven't claimed they are perfect - shit, any place with a gov't and bureaucracy will fuck SOMETHING up (probably several somethings, it's what people do).  Different countries get better performance in different areas.  My whole point (not the OP's -- he certainly went farther than I did) is that when it comes to choosing a place for overall quality of life, the US isn't any clear "we're number 1!"  Between our decline since our golden era of 1945-1975, and the improvement in performance and quality of life in western europe, australia, korea, and yes, even Uruguay, we're not a super duper gold medal performer.*  If my kids choose to make their lives in Canada, Europe, etc., are they taking a step down?  I don't think so.  Some things will be better, some things will be worse, but on a composite score....the "USA!  USA!  WE'RE #1!" jingoism just doesn't fly.

And the fact that so many of us are so damned defensive about that blows me away.  It's okay to acknowledge reality.  It's okay to realize that in terms of opportunity for the lower middle class and middle class, we're not what we once were.  In fact, we SHOULD acknowledge those things.  Because that's how we focus on our issues and work on making them better.  I mean, I can sit around and insist that I'm still in as good a shape as I was when I was 18, but I'd be ignoring the reality of my significantly thicker middle and my bum knee.  I should acknowledge those realities, so maybe I will focus on shedding some pounds and getting my knee fixed.  If I just sit around and keep pronouncing myself "the greatest athlete in the world!", I won't work on any of those things.  I have to admit it, I'm baffled by how vehement, vitrolic, and ANGRY the resistance is to the idea that maybe we're not the best at everything, and we should work on improving ourselves.  Why are we so invested in lying to ourselves?

* Except in terms of military might.  On that, yep, we're #1, and #2 ain't even close.  And we pay for that.  But for sure, if you need somebody bombed, we're the undisputed champs.

Holster those smokewagons my man, this wasn't even directed at you.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Local problem?  Or grid problem?  Because those are two entirely different animals.  The Southwest Power Pool area actually performs rather well.  They beat the pants off of our performance this February:

Grid problem.  Their grid is dogshit.  Like I said, every year or other year shit goes sideways.  Again, horrible example

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, let me clear that up for you: some of them froze to death.  In their own homes, they froze to death.

You could say the same thing about people in New York/New Jersey/California and other places if you switched the phrase to :In their own homes, they died because their fucking state government would not let them get their diabetes/cancer/heart/lung treatments because of a fucking microscopic virus that is killing less than 1% of people.  

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

What a fuckwad post. I just googled Oklahoma Power Grid Reliability and hit this from US News and World Report.

Best states for energy

Energy represents one-third of the weight in ranking the Best States for infrastructure. This subcategory evaluates three major metrics: renewable energy usage, reliability of power grids and the average cost of electricity. Most of the energy consumed in the U.S. comes from fossil fuels, including petroleum, coal and natural gas, while about 11.4% of energy consumption came from renewable sources in 2019, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

Oregon ranks first in the nation for energy, as well as in the infrastructure category overall. Washington places second in this subcategory, followed by South Dakota, Montana and Iowa.

Learn more about the Best States for energy below

Oklahoma ranks 10th in their list. And I don't give a shit about Oklahoma, but accuracy is something I care about.

I guess they didn't call your MIL.

Negged for baseless assertion while condemning somebody else for histrionics and hyperbole.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

TX IS 10% cheaper than NM but 13% more expensive than the next highest priced neighbor.  We’re 23% more expensive than the cheapest neighbor.

Doesn’t seem like a good reward for giving up the ability to draw from the national grid in time of crisis.

We couldn't have drawn much, or any, from the surrounding states during our Micro-Ice Age, since the neighboring states were also struggling with the cold snap.  Rolling blackouts for several of them on the same weekend ERCOT almost crashed our grid.

(That's not a defense of our lack of adequate preparation, but rather accurate context.)

4 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

residential-electricity-rates-14ab.png

Thanks for posting this. Just shows how bad we’re getting fucked compared to most states that don’t go mad max because the temperature gets below 10 degrees. 

LOL, how many seconds did you peruse that image before crafting your usual CR-driven knee jerk response?  Because it actually shows Texas doing pretty well compared to most of the country.

18 states with a lower average price than Texas, 32 states/DC with higher.  We're at $11.11, the lowest is $9.05, and the highest is $31.57.   Exclude Hawaii and the next highest 13 still range from $13.84-21.64, so it's not like a few outliers skew that.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

It seems like political opportunism to me.  Name me one politician on either side of the aisle, who had winterization of power plants as part of their campaign?

It was a 120 year storm.  Shit sometimes happens.  I for one do not want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. And I certainly don't want to pay California type prices with California regulations given me California annual blackouts when it gets hot in August.

This is the excuse to do nothing just about every fucking year recently.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

What a fuckwad post. I just googled Oklahoma Power Grid Reliability and hit this from US News and World Report.

Best states for energy

Oklahoma ranks 10th in their list. And I don't give a shit about Oklahoma, but accuracy is something I care about.

I guess they didn't call your MIL.

Negged for baseless assertion while condemning somebody else for histrionics and hyperbole.

US News and World Report!  Oh nozzzze, not them.  

Did you even read the damn article?

• Electricity Price
  • Power Grid Reliability
  • Renewable Energy Power usage 

OK rankings on the three:  2, 34, 13

TX:                                       9, 29, 36

So, TXs' grid ranks higher than OK's.......