So, back to that legalization thing

Longhorn_Fan68

big week for marijuana reform.

The Republican led GOP legislature in Lousiana has sent both smokable marijuana access to medical marijuana patients and decriminalization of 14 grams or less to the democrat lousiana governor. All we need is for him to either sign or just not veto and we’re good there.

Connecticut lawmakers have agreed on a deal with their governor on a bill. Now the 2 chambers just have to pass adult use legalization and get it him to sign.

Delaware will vote on adult use legalization this week, but be aware that the democratic governor of Delaware hates legalization and he might veto.

every state that crosses the line is a big deal. We want to get it past 25 so that the states left out feel like a bunch of backward idiots, give up, and legalize it too. The “tipping point” theory if you will.

Edited by Voldemort86
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 6/1/2021 at 12:40 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

See, I would think these guys would be chomping at the bit to expand their product line and market.  A big tobacco company already has the packaging, distribution and marketing set up.  They could mass market weed and sell it side by side with cigarettes and dip.  Rednecks would eat that shit up.  

Damned straight. The second NC legalizes recreational use, I'm converting about half my land to market-farming weed. No question whatsoever. I'll probably be able to quit my day job within a year of pot being fully legal in NC.

17 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

We want to get it past 25 so that the states left out feel like a bunch of backward idiots, give up, and legalize it too. The “tipping point” theory if you will.

Interesting point. It *should* also encourage the Feds to say 'fuck it' and legalize because now a majority of states have.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

July 1, 2021 Legal in Va. to have at least an ounce, and four plants.....  Never thought I'd see the day.  

Free at last, free at last.........thank God..... we're free at last.

You know, I've been debating where to go on vacation for my birthday at the end of July this year. We've actually got Yorktown on the list; I think it just jumped a few spots.

4 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

You know, I've been debating where to go on vacation for my birthday at the end of July this year. We've actually got Yorktown on the list; I think it just jumped a few spots.

Yorktown is cool because it's right there at Williamsburg, and Jamestown, which are both worth spending a day or so.  What's disappointing about Yorktown is the visitor center is really not great. If you've been to Gettysburg you will be really disappointed, but the battlefield tour, and surrender field building are cool as shit.  Plus now you can be legally baked as you tour the sites, and spark up in honor of Washington, and the French navy..... which I have done....

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Plus now you can be legally baked as you tour the sites, and spark up in honor of Washington, and the French navy..... which I have done....

Are there going to be legal dispensaries, or is it all still just knowing a guy who knows a guy...?  (I'd imagine the relative economy of Virginia will increase proportionally to the amount of money flowing out of NC, no reason...)

Edited by Walden Ponderer

Just now, Walden Ponderer said:

Are there going to be legal dispensaries, or is it all still just knowing a guy who knows a guy...?

Oh yeah, just not sure when that happens, but I know a guy, who knows lots of guys...  The legislation was intended to take affect in 2022, but they sped up the process, so there are things that still aren't covered I bet.

33 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oh yeah, just not sure when that happens, but I know a guy, who knows lots of guys...  The legislation was intended to take affect in 2022, but they sped up the process, so there are things that still aren't covered I bet.

There will be dispensaries in a lot of places by summer 2022. Just gotta wait until the laws to take effect in places. It usually takes a state about a year to get up and running with the dispensaries after they reform the law.

8 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

There will be dispensaries in a lot of places by summer 2022. Just gotta wait until the laws to take effect in places. It usually takes a state about a year to get up and running with the dispensaries after they reform the law.

Yep, and this was fast tracked thru the legislature, so I'm sure there will be additional provisions, and time lines for dispensaries coming.

6 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

So that makes 19 states fully legal with only 8 still fully illegal. Everyone else is some variation of legality. It won't be long before this is no longer a topic for discussion. The momentum is just too great now.

Rhode Island , Delaware, and Maryland need to jump on board. Pretty much all the other states up there have.

16 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

So that makes 19 states fully legal with only 8 still fully illegal. Everyone else is some variation of legality. It won't be long before this is no longer a topic for discussion. The momentum is just too great now.

Dan Patrick says hold my beer (but not on Sunday before noon). 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Js1 said:

Dan Patrick says hold my beer (but not on Sunday before noon). 

gotta disagree there too. he might stall it for a few years, but he won't prevent it from becoming legal in the this state - especially when every other state that borders us already has. too much lost revenue at that point

3 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Yea, Texas will be dead last if current leadership sticks around.

which is why Biden needs to stop being a coward and take advantage of this political layup. I mean, let GQP'ers try to campaign around an anti-marijuana platform. that'll go over well

• Like 1

Yorktown is cool because it's right there at Williamsburg, and Jamestown, which are both worth spending a day or so.  What's disappointing about Yorktown is the visitor center is really not great. If you've been to Gettysburg you will be really disappointed, but the battlefield tour, and surrender field building are cool as shit.  Plus now you can be legally baked as you tour the sites, and spark up in honor of Washington, and the French navy..... which I have done....

da84f4ab3ce805e2116c9964d02a89d6.gif

f339b3b26c788eac000f44dcb2821a98.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

gotta disagree there too. he might stall it for a few years, but he won't prevent it from becoming legal in the this state - especially when every other state that borders us already has. too much lost revenue at that point

9 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Yea, Texas will be dead last if current leadership sticks around.

Texas or Mississippi being dead last on weed was always a foregone conclusion. 

20 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

The play for them was to legalize weed, tax it and use the revenue for their precious border wall.

That would that have either caused a lot of strokes with the base over the disconnect (legalize the devil's lettuce but we get a wall?!?!?!) or been a full on "HA OWNED THE LIBS BY BUILDING THE WALL WITH WEED MONEY!" type of thing as Texas Democrats go "thanks for legalizing weed, idiots!" knowing the wall wouldn't get built anyhow. 

Edited by Js1

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'd imagine it's  selling to out of state dealers ?

it was there before weed was legal in state ?

yea, even in California there are illegal growers. Out of state dealers can't buy in enough bulk from a legal dispensary so they buy black market. Watch Murder Mountain on Netflix. 

• Like 1

I'd imagine it's  selling to out of state dealers ?

it was there before weed was legal in state ?

Yeah, looks like they were selling out of state and some legal sellers turned them in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/california-offers-100-million-rescue-231502162.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9kdWNrZHVja2dvLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAEJcQ-f7xI_vnzWYDpULKelddXryl3k-Wtyh9VBFqk3CUdNE0AXAIg7AZaYLOEWILw6v7ZByEMDUKFx-MC3U2jDZVqnW8UKTfwFi2vhxuiy7qq6SVOt-EZ3PKgdkgcbKcsBhBMfWaqmL8HV-Bo1PS95aSEXa0z-pUEiepROl84cy

On 6/18/2021 at 3:44 PM, Buzzrock said:

California largely fucked up legalization. It’s so expensive to grow legally that you still have a black market.

Speaking of that.

The California Legislature on Monday approved a $100-million plan to bolster California’s legal marijuana industry, which continues to struggle to compete with the large illicit pot market nearly five years after voters approved sales for recreational use.

Edited by workswithseed
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 11:25 AM, Js1 said:

Texas or Mississippi being dead last on weed was always a foregone conclusion. 

Idaho says "hi." 

This last legislative session some yahoos tried to push through an amendment to the state constitution to keep all that is illegal, illegal. For a governing body that sure does not want to have government involved in our lives, they sure did make it a mission this year to do just that.

30 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I missed it when the news broke so sorry if this is a retread, but Amazon isn’t going to test most employees for weed any more. As the big employers go so many will follow.

I've noticed that my company hasn't had any random drug tests for the last three years or so. Used to be I would have to pee in a cup every year or so, but outside of new hires I'm not sure I've known anybody who has had to do so as well. My guess is that with hemp being legalized and medical being legal in so many states they just don't want to worry about the liability of potentially being sued. This is a large petrochemical facility, fyi.

I've noticed that my company hasn't had any random drug tests for the last three years or so. Used to be I would have to pee in a cup every year or so, but outside of new hires I'm not sure I've known anybody who has had to do so as well. My guess is that with hemp being legalized and medical being legal in so many states they just don't want to worry about the liability of potentially being sued. This is a large petrochemical facility, fyi.

A few years ago I was working for a large refining company. I was contract to them and worked in their headquarters in Houston. Direct hires had hair tests done in the pre-employment screenings and had random hair test done whenever. Seems like a waste of money but I guess when you print money it’s not a big deal.

Being a contractor I knew I would have random piss tests, and in fact about 3 months into the job I was tested. This was around the time that CBD became legal in Texas. I have chronic back pain so I called up HR and she told me that if I take it and I get tested and piss hot, I will lose my job. She was actually really open about it and said she has heard great things and in fact her husband who works in a refinery in Baytown uses it as well as sells it to other workers. She said they never had an issue with tests.

So I buy some and soon discover that the pure CBD with zero THC and other stuff does very little for me, but the full spectrum actually did help me, especially with sleeping. So I took a full dose everyday for about 10 days then bought a drug test kit from Walgreens. Positive. So, I had to stop.

This whole thing from federal laws, to our state laws to how employers deal with this just infuriates me beyond belief. They would rather I get addicted to painkillers and alcohol.
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

A few years ago I was working for a large refining company. I was contract to them and worked in their headquarters in Houston. Direct hires had hair tests done in the pre-employment screenings and had random hair test done whenever. Seems like a waste of money but I guess when you print money it’s not a big deal.

Being a contractor I knew I would have random piss tests, and in fact about 3 months into the job I was tested. This was around the time that CBD became legal in Texas. I have chronic back pain so I called up HR and she told me that if I take it and I get tested and piss hot, I will lose my job. She was actually really open about it and said she has heard great things and in fact her husband who works in a refinery in Baytown uses it as well as sells it to other workers. She said they never had an issue with tests.

So I buy some and soon discover that the pure CBD with zero THC and other stuff does very little for me, but the full spectrum actually did help me, especially with sleeping. So I took a full dose everyday for about 10 days then bought a drug test kit from Walgreens. Positive. So, I had to stop.

This whole thing from federal laws, to our state laws to how employers deal with this just infuriates me beyond belief. They would rather I get addicted to painkillers and alcohol.

Hey I got stock in Merck. Can I interest you in something from the opioid family of fine Merck products ??

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Hey I got stock in Merck. Can I interest you in something from the opioid family of fine Merck products ??

Funny but rage-inducing.  My dad (just turned 75) told me he would love the option for liquid THC/edibles to help with general soreness/sleep.  He has a bum shoulder and obviously all the other aches and pains that come with being an active older man (he tends to the family farm and keeps active doing chores most days).  It is totally frustrating that I cannot help him out beyond buying some flower and turning into edibles/etc.  He should be able to run to the pot store on his way back from the feed store / HEB / etc. just like any other errand.  Instead his PCP offers up fucking painkillers which fuck his insides up like crazy and put him into a stupor.  Additionally, he is a transplant patient and already takes a huge amount of pills every single day. 

This state could lead the way in the industry yet we will continue to fuck our faces to spite our noses.  GFD.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Funny but rage-inducing.  My dad (just turned 75) told me he would love the option for liquid THC/edibles to help with general soreness/sleep.  He has a bum shoulder and obviously all the other aches and pains that come with being an active older man (he tends to the family farm and keeps active doing chores most days).  It is totally frustrating that I cannot help him out beyond buying some flower and turning into edibles/etc.  He should be able to run to the pot store on his way back from the feed store / HEB / etc. just like any other errand.  Instead his PCP offers up fucking painkillers which fuck his insides up like crazy and put him into a stupor.  Additionally, he is a transplant patient and already takes a huge amount of pills every single day. 

This state could lead the way in the industry yet we will continue to fuck our faces to spite our noses.  GFD.

Yeah totally.  I don't even own Merck stock, but that's the reason it's an issue. Pharma companies, and their profits.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Texas is so fucking stupid it hurts.

11 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

It's really not complicated.  Texas leadership needs to play to its "base" to make sure they keep winning primaries, which is THE election in what remains a one-party state for some time to come.  And the "base" demands more and more "conservative" red meat.  And finally, as "conservative" has somehow come to mean "as retrograde as possible" to that base (and what a shitty slide that has been), then the single-minded passion of Texas leadership is simply "be completely retrograde."

Does the majority of America support MJ legalization?  Tough shit!  REAL conservatives don't want that devil's lettuce! [even though -- and this is the maddening part -- among Republicans as a whole, legalization is a winning issue].

It's only going to get worse, as the leadership has to lurch even further to the retrograde right in order to win primaries.  It's dumb as shit, but that's where we are.

Are you in ATL or Texas?

It's really not complicated.  Texas leadership needs to play to its "base" to make sure they keep winning primaries, which is THE election in what remains a one-party state for some time to come.  And the "base" demands more and more "conservative" red meat.  And finally, as "conservative" has somehow come to mean "as retrograde as possible" to that base (and what a shitty slide that has been), then the single-minded passion of Texas leadership is simply "be completely retrograde."
Does the majority of America support MJ legalization?  Tough shit!  REAL conservatives don't want that devil's lettuce! [even though -- and this is the maddening part -- among Republicans as a whole, legalization is a winning issue].
It's only going to get worse, as the leadership has to lurch even further to the retrograde right in order to win primaries.  It's dumb as shit, but that's where we are.

Most of the rednecks and good ol boys I know like weed and have no problem with it. It’s only the religious olds like my dad who repeat “well this one guy I know had a terrible time” anecdotes who are against it. I tell my dad all the time that he’s being dumb about it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Buzzrock said:

Most of the rednecks and good ol boys I know like weed and have no problem with it. It’s only the religious olds like my dad who repeat “well this one guy I know had a terrible time” anecdotes who are against it. I tell my dad all the time that he’s being dumb about it.

The problem is that young rednecks don't turn out and vote at nearly the rate of old fundagelicals.   So, leadership has to cater to the old fundagelicals.  For fuck's sake, among the base our leaders are catering to (not GOP voters overall, but that base), I'm betting that running on a platform banning race-mixing in marriage would be a winner.  Again, it's maddening -- positions held by a shrinking minority are also litmus-test necessities to win primaries in one-party states like ours.  And we aren't just meandering over to those positions -- we're running to them and embracing them with zealous fervor.

• Hook 'Em 1