So, back to that legalization thing

Longhorn_Fan68

It’s not that hard to get what you want here. Heck a cheap round trip ticket and you can load up with whatever you want in Denver, Chicago, Vegas etc. Might be worth it to see what works for your dad and then find a creative way to source it. I can’t imagine it’s hard to get in Austin.

9 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

It’s not that hard to get what you want here. Heck a cheap round trip ticket and you can load up with whatever you want in Denver, Chicago, Vegas etc. Might be worth it to see what works for your dad and then find a creative way to source it. I can’t imagine it’s hard to get in Austin.

Yea, I can make it happen for sure.  It is just the principle that he cannot just handle it like any other errand he has on his trips to town.  An old hippy deserves to be able to whet his whistle with bodacious herb.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

The drag here in Texas is if you want anything but flower, you don't know what else is in it. I won't touch a vape cart unless I bought it myself from the dispensary in Denver or wherever. Too much counterfeit stuff cut with god knows what. Same is probably true for edibles or tinctures. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The problem is that young rednecks don't turn out and vote at nearly the rate of old fundagelicals.   So, leadership has to cater to the old fundagelicals.  For fuck's sake, among the base our leaders are catering to (not GOP voters overall, but that base), I'm betting that running on a platform banning race-mixing in marriage would be a winner.  Again, it's maddening -- positions held by a shrinking minority are also litmus-test necessities to win primaries in one-party states like ours.  And we aren't just meandering over to those positions -- we're running to them and embracing them with zealous fervor.

It’s all about pwning the libs and keeping them down while trying to go back to the 1950’s. Evangelical people are fucking weird.

On 6/28/2021 at 12:26 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

The drag here in Texas is if you want anything but flower, you don't know what else is in it. I won't touch a vape cart unless I bought it myself from the dispensary in Denver or wherever. Too much counterfeit stuff cut with god knows what. Same is probably true for edibles or tinctures. 

Exactly, I make my own edibles and tinctures it is pretty easy if you invest in a couple gadgets. But I agree the point is it should be just as easy as stopping in a store on the way home. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/28/2021 at 12:26 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

lol, you really think someone is going to cut your weed with something more expensive? I mean, by weight, weed is probably the cheapest drug there is, save maybe mushrooms. I guess you could be worried about that, but I would see that as a bonus.

Just now, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

lol, you really think someone is going to cut your weed with something more expensive? I mean, by weight, weed is probably the cheapest drug there is, save maybe mushrooms. I guess you could be worried about that, but I would see that as a bonus.

I'm not concerned about them cutting it with other drugs, but what kind of solvents and binders they are using. A bunch of people already died and others got really sick from chemicals in their black market vape cartridges.  

• Like 3

Just now, Pescado_Rojo said:

I'm not concerned about them cutting it with other drugs, but what kind of solvents and binders they are using. A bunch of people already died and others got really sick from chemicals in their black market vape cartridges.  

gotcha. that hasn't happened in a while, or has it? I don't read nearly as much about it as I used to

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

More expensive ?  No cheap chemicals, and additives that can cause serious health issues.  Even flower is an issue if the grower was using harmful pesticides.

So in a very short time Texas is going to be completely surrounded by legal states and countries, who will make tons of tax revenue off of Texans traveling to their states to partake. Rather than giving Texans that option at home and benefiting from the increased tax base, Texas will dig in on prohibition and every border county sheriff will ramp up the civil asset forfeiture game. 

• Rage+1 6

2 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

So in a very short time Texas is going to be completely surrounded by legal states and countries, who will make tons of tax revenue off of Texans traveling to their states to partake. Rather than giving Texans that option at home and benefiting from the increased tax base, Texas will dig in on prohibition and every border county sheriff will ramp up the civil asset forfeiture game. 

Can't give up such a valuable card in the culture wars.

38 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

35 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Can't give up such a valuable card in the culture wars.

So.....y'all DO understand how we Texas.  Good on ya.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Is “abolished criminal penalties” the same as “legalized for recreational use”?

Good question. Looks like Connecticut specifically legalizes certain amounts, and violations don't look to be criminal but subject to civil fines, except for underage users who I guess can get referred to juvi.

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/recreational-marijuana-now-legal-in-connecticut/2519293/

• 2 weeks later...
yup
NYT story this morning saying Schumer to introduce legislation soon decriminalizing marijuana at the federal level. There are some libertarian Republican senators who would support it but it's unknown yet if they're enough to get to 60 votes.

On 6/29/2021 at 4:40 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

That's always been my bitch about gambling too, as I am a semi-serious craps player.  Vice travel, for lack of a better term, is real.

I've long disagreed with puritanical(word?) laws that curb freedom and liberty for no reason other than someone else gets skeered of it.  It's bullshit on so many fronts, including the use of marijuana.

6 minutes ago, Orale said:
On 7/2/2021 at 4:01 PM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:
yup

NYT story this morning saying Schumer to introduce legislation soon decriminalizing marijuana at the federal level. There are some libertarian Republican senators who would support it but it's unknown yet if they're enough to get to 60 votes.

It also notes that some of the moderate Dems are unlikely to go for this, and that McConnell will whip against it (especially with the social justice provisions it will have when introduced). I'd be floored if anything like this passes the clown show senate. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/24/2021 at 8:40 AM, Js1 said:

Told y’all Texas will be dead fucking last. revenue from a 7% sales tax sounds pretty nice but no, Texas can’t allow that 

All lawmakers in Texas care about is mah guns, mah bibles, owning the libs, and not letting the federal government help out our poors.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

On 6/28/2021 at 10:14 AM, Buzzrock said:

Isn't that a federal trafficking charge if you get caught bringing it back?  Wouldn't it be much easier to just buy pot from a local dealer?

Edited by Tom

You’d have to be carrying a shitload to be charged with trafficking. It’s just possession and I know a lot of people who have flown with weed and zero who have gotten in trouble. I know one who had their bag searched at TSA and they just pushed his shopping bag aside. They don’t care. 

I don’t have a dealer and don’t particularly want one. I like being able to buy the brands and products that I like. 

ETA: all that said I wouldn’t put it in a checked bag. Who knows what happens between bag drop and baggage claim.  

Edited by Buzzrock
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

You’d have to be carrying a shitload to be charged with trafficking. It’s just possession and I know a lot of people who have flown with weed and zero who have gotten in trouble. I know one who had their bag searched at TSA and they just pushed his shopping bag aside. They don’t care. 

Hell, I [know a guy who] brought home some very strong cookies in a ziplock bag a year or two ago (they were homemade by a friend in Oregon) and the TSA agent took them out of [his] carryon to look for something else on a secondary check.  It was [his] phone/watch dual charger stand.  He put everything back in the bag and then set the cookies carefully back in on top so as not to crumble them, and told [him] to have a nice trip.  You could smell those cookies from 20 yards away.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Buzzrock said:

I don’t have a dealer and don’t particularly want one. I like being able to buy the brands and products that I like. 

I don't know how true it is, but I've always heard if you're departing from a legal state they don't even look or care. Your only issue at that point is getting from your arrival airport to your house. TSA cares about weapons, and 99% of the dogs in domestic airport terminals are sniffing for explosives. I even got searched going into Mexico once with an 1/8th in my shave kit. the search was obviously theater, and they were more interested in how much cash I was carrying. They didn't even open my shave kit, but made me count out all my money right in front of them. They went through all my fishing stuff, opened my fly boxes, rod cases, my kids bathroom kit, etc. They looked at mine and set it aside. Didn't even unzip it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I don't know how true it is, but I've always heard if you're departing from a legal state they don't even look or care. Your only issue at that point is getting from your arrival airport to your house. TSA cares about weapons, and 99% of the dogs in domestic airport terminals are sniffing for explosives. I even got searched going into Mexico once with an 1/8th in my shave kit. the search was obviously theater, and they were more interested in how much cash I was carrying. They didn't even open my shave kit, but made me count out all my money right in front of them. They went through all my fishing stuff, opened my fly boxes, rod cases, my kids bathroom kit, etc. They looked at mine and set it aside. Didn't even unzip it. 

I bet you were puckered up tho.

I don't think it's any big deal coming back from CO with some goodies in your backpack, the TSA folks give zero fucks about that stuff.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, The Royal We said:

I bet you were puckered up tho.

I don't think it's any big deal coming back from CO with some goodies in your backpack, the TSA folks give zero fucks about that stuff.

yep, I was for a second for sure. A buddy got searched in the Bahamas with about the same amount. They just "confiscated" it. I'm sure they enjoyed the hell out of his 1/8th of Colorado's finest. 

• Haha 1

anybody done any investing in marijuana, as in stocks? anecdotally it seems the few Canadian pot stocks don't do well/haven't done well over the years. our money guy has said some US tobacco companies are poised to cash in if/when federal decriminalization happens. 

hindsight is 20/20 on everything, shoulda bought apple in the 80s, Ford in 2008, etc....would be fun to get in at the beginning of something like that and i can't help but think it's gonna happen at some point...may have a bit of money to play with in a few months, just wondering if anybody has an insight on anything like that? 

• Hook 'Em 1