So, back to that legalization thing

Longhorn_Fan68

8 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

This map is outdated and doesn’t take into account 2020 election results.

New Jersey, Montana, South Dakota, and Arizona all legalized adult use at the ballot box in 2020. South Dakota and Mississippi also legalized medicinal. Nebraska had its Supreme Court strike down a ballot initiative that would’ve let voters vote on medical.

Virginia legalized this year and now they’re trying to move up the timeline. I’d expect New Mexico and New York to legalize soon as well.

why does the gop fight this? Because they’re morons who like to vote no on everything. That party is a waste and I can’t believe people support the GOP. The gop literally doesn’t support anything except tax cuts for billionaires and millionaires.

South Dakota's entire state government is fighting this tooth and nail.  Don't expect to roll up to Mt Rushmore and fire up a j anytime soon.

14 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Pretty much, surprises are LA, OK, AR

It’s only matter of time before it’s legal everywhere. But Rs will drag their feet as long as possible because Jesus and think of the children 

It's almost like conservatives learned nothing from alcohol prohibition. Work in good faith with the other side to find a solution that covers some of your more serious concerns, or play hardball to the point the general public is sick of your shit and lose everything. I bet I know which way they will go. 

58 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

It's almost like conservatives learned nothing from alcohol prohibition. Work in good faith with the other side to find a solution that covers some of your more serious concerns, or play hardball to the point the general public is sick of your shit and lose everything. I bet I know which way they will go. 

I believe more conservatives support it than you give credit for.  There's absolutely a fiscal reason NOT to prosecute MJ as a crime.

I wish these states would just do straight up elections on the topic and stop working the political/ lobbying angles.

Edited by slorch

40 minutes ago, slorch said:

I believe more conservatives support it than you give credit for.  There's absolutely a fiscal reason NOT to prosecute MJ as a crime.

I wish these states would just do straight up elections on the topic and stop working the political/ lobbying angles.

That just underscores that there isn't a conservative political party anymore. GQP is all about fearmongering now and dRuGz are all about the fear.

And while the current GQP is dependent on fearmongering, it has been a relatively bipartisan thing over the years of the War on Drugs.  And the WoD has had some legit frightening moments.  The coke shit in Miami and crack were legit problems that provoked some legit fear.  The fearful response was not a good or the right one, though.

The shit going on in Mexico is some legit frightening shit, but we're all mostly clear-eyed enough now to see that that is a result of the WoD, and has not been inhibited by it.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, slorch said:

This is correct.  The War on Drugs has been a massive fiscal drain for decades.

And another concern is that Republicans should support marijuana legalization for their own self-professed ideological reasons.  They want to protect individual freedoms and shrink the federal government, right?  Well, here's the most obvious and easiest way to score two big wins for your platform.  But ya just can't do it, because your platform is just a bunch of talking points to try to obscure the truth that what you really want is to legislate your version of Blue-Eyed Jesus morality.  See also: gay marriage, abortion, gambling illegality, etc.

Everything Republicans say is a smokescreen.  They want the 1950s back.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, slorch said:

I wish these states would just do straight up elections on the topic

They have.  And Republicans don't like the results so they overturn it/fight it.  SD passed it with 54% and it's been fought tooth and nail by the governor and the courts there. 

Montana approved it with 57% of the vote and the legislature is trying to delay it and the butthurt squares are suing to overturn it.

So yes, letting the people vote doesn't always work, because the powers that be (who just so happen to be from one side of the political spectrum) have an issue with people voting against them.  

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

If you are a fiscal conservative, legalizing weed is a no brainer.  The costs of incarceration, enforcement, and long term economic and emotional damage so far outweigh whatever the potential benefits of illegality can try to put onto the scale.

The gateway argument is and always has been specious. Show me a kid who smoked week, that had not already tried the gateway drug of alcohol, or of cigarette nicotine, and I will show you about the same percentage as verifiable voter fraud in our country.  it's fun to talk about, but is miniscule when comparing to alcohol, cigarettes, an now vaping.

What we need is to make it VERY, VERY, VERY easy for people to vote, and allow same day registration.  IF we did that nationally stupid policies like we have now related to marijuana would evaporate in no time. And the last Republican states would succumb as usual, to the greed of the well heeled who would want to profit.

To be honest, since I am a TRUE fiscal conservative I would make all drugs legal, tax them, provide low cost controlled dose drugs to addicts, and instead of funding millions of prison beds I would offer treatment to whoever wanted it.  The CRIME associated with drugs is ALWAYS about the money!!!!  Drugs are only expensive because of the prohibited nature that allows for incremental price increases as it drifts though hands.  Profit after all is the foundation of our county. What is clear is you can buy cheap as shit from farmers, and make drugs for real addicts cheap as shit.  Does this open me up to "creating addicts?" I don't know, do liquor stores create addicts?  I would also tax alcohol at a higher rate and include alcoholism in the spectrum of available rehab treatments.

The biggest nail in the fiscal coffin here is the lost potential for additional income tax revenue over a lifetime for those that have been convicted and served time, in the very vast majority of cases.  Simply for consuming something, where you did not commit any harm to another citizen.  

Anyhow I could go on, but if you are truly a fiscal conservative, and true believer in Frreeeedoooomm! As William Wallace might say. 😉   Then legalization of marijuana is a pretty easy choice to make.  IF you are fiscal conservative.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Let me be clear about addiction.  It's horrific, and brutal not only to the addict but to those around them and especially those who love them.  But there is a big difference between NEEDING criminal activity, robbing, prostitution, drug dealing or whatever is profitable, to fund a even $100 a day habit, if you don't have a job.  But you could be a bagger at the grocery store and support a $15 a day habit for... like forever.  So while being an addict is all the terrible things I said above, the cost of addiction to our citizenry could be reduced dramatically.

What is really fucking sad is that we have NO PLACE FOR TREATMENT NOW EXCEPT PRISON.  Think of that for a second.  There is not a single place that you can be assured of receiving any type of addiction provided by the state.  The only state provided service is incarceration, at least here in Texas.  The reason I know is I saw a guy early one Sunday morning stumbling down Jollyville clutching his chest.  I almost kept going but I thought the guy was in real distress, and having a heart attack on a walk.  I whipped around and the guy was a lot younger than I thought, distraught and weeping while clutching his heart.  When I saw his teeth I new he was an addict, and spaced myself more appropriately. Baut as a humn being with a soul I just wanted to try and help the guy.  He openly admitted he was an addict and has just been released from jail, and used again almost immediately.  The police were called by his father, who had words with him a few minutes before.  He couldn't even talk he was so distraught at first. but I got hime to calm down and said he jsut wanted to stop, and couldn't do it on his own, between sobs, I know addicts are notorious liars, but the image of his stumbling and clutching his breaking heart still haunts me. I am getting a lump and tearing up a bit even know typing this. Simply because these was simply no place in Austin that could take him in for treatment without insurance. I tried and the police were well awarer of this sad fact.

It was one of the single most heart breaking random interactions I have ever had.  So when I say legalize all drugs it's NOT something I take lightly in the least.

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 3

42 minutes ago, Js1 said:

They have.  And Republicans don't like the results so they overturn it/fight it.  SD passed it with 54% and it's been fought tooth and nail by the governor and the courts there. 

Montana approved it with 57% of the vote and the legislature is trying to delay it and the butthurt squares are suing to overturn it.

So yes, letting the people vote doesn't always work, because the powers that be (who just so happen to be from one side of the political spectrum) have an issue with people voting against them.  

Did you lie about Kamala Harris because it profited your narrative tho?

• Fuck You 3

48 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

The other thing to consider is that all the huge adult beverage companies are poised to enter the market with THC infused offerings.  Anheuser busch Inbev and the like are just going to shift their products over to weed drinks.

Yeah, I hear people say the alcohol industry is fighting this, but I don't see it.  Booze and weed have been consumed simultaneously for years.

I'm thinking it's more pharma.  People will be more likely to self medicate anxiety and physical pain via weed.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

Can't wait to see how Oregon fares after decriminalizing possession and use of all drugs.

I liked that it is a traffic ticket type fine, but you can get that waived if you do rehab.  That's my cursory understanding, anyway.

The private prison industry stands to lose the most.  But they can go ahead and take programming courses (heh).  Politicians know what we all are saying.  They just lie because money.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Pretty much, surprises are LA, OK, AR

It’s only matter of time before it’s legal everywhere. But Rs will drag their feet as long as possible because Jesus and think of the children 

As a parent of little kids it actually does worry me.  The proliferation of thc candy and sweets scares me.  My 4 year old wouldn’t know the difference between a regular gummy bear and a thc gummy or his gummy multi vitamin . Now sure this is my job as a parent to not have the thc in my house, but when my kids are in middle school and a friend offers him some candy they’re probably take and eat it. 

it’s a little different than the old school weed and liquor because smoking is gross and alcohol burns or taste like shit to kids.  You have to put a little effort into getting drunk or high the old way, now a small piece  of chocolate gets you high as a kite and I don’t even want to know what happens if an 12 year old with no tolerance eats the whole damn bar.  

Point being I’m cool with legalizing but there needs to be some restrictions on  how thc products can be packaged.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Hide your weed better, and in higher places. 

Right, but now I have to worry about shitty parents that dont hide their weed or worse share with their own kids.  I serious would have to tell my kids that they cant take any candy or baked item from a friend because it might contain drugs.  

Edited by dingleberryswitzer

17 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

As a parent of little kids it actually does worry me.  The proliferation of thc candy and sweets scares me.  My 4 year old wouldn’t know the difference between a regular gummy bear and a thc gummy or his gummy multi vitamin . Now sure this is my job as a parent to not have the thc in my house, but when my kids are in middle school and a friend offers him some candy they’re probably take and eat it. 

it’s a little different than the old school weed and liquor because smoking is gross and alcohol burns or taste like shit to kids.  You have to put a little effort into getting drunk or high the old way, now a small piece  of chocolate gets you high as a kite and I don’t even want to know what happens if an 12 year old with no tolerance eats the whole damn bar.  

Point being I’m cool with legalizing but there needs to be some restrictions on  how thc products can be packaged.  

They're going to be really fucking high for a really long time.

I could legit see there being PTSD from a young kid eating a massive edible.  I'm a huge proponent of weed legalization, but making it look and taste like candy definitely has a realistic downside.

• Hook 'Em 1

Any experienced CPS Caseworker will tell you alcoholics beat/neglect their kids, and weed smokers do not.

The Texas GOP hates children who have emerged from their mother's womb with prejudice.  It's simple logic.

Edited by BearSchlong
fbi surveillance van paranoia
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

The other thing to consider is that all the huge adult beverage companies are poised to enter the market with THC infused offerings.  Anheuser busch Inbev and the like are just going to shift their products over to weed drinks.

A work friend of mine is a super badass early 30s go-getter who was rocketing up the ladder at a fortune 50 tech company. She left what was probably a consistent high 3s, low 4s job running one of our company's premier global accounts to take a VP of sales job with an equity stake at a start up cannabis beverage company in SoCal. This isn't some SoCal yoga queen, she's a stone cold serious badass who wouldn't make a jump like that if she didn't think it would make her rich in short order. 

33 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

In my neighborhood, some of the kids are trained to ask if this is "adult candy" or "medicine" or "kid's candy."   

28 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Packaging of edibles especially should be highly regulated for the reasons you describe, and it’s yet another reason for the feds to step in and get all this shit sorted out so we have something coherent in place. 

I am in 100% agreement.

Legalize it.
Tax it.
Regulate it. 

Colorado sold $2 billion worth of marijuana in 2020.  The state ended up with $32 million in revenue.  

• Hook 'Em 4

26 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Right, but now I have to worry about shitty parents that dont hide their weed or worse share with their own kids.  I serious would have to tell my kids that they cant take any candy or baked item from a friend because it might contain drugs.  

Do you warn your kids not to drink any liquids handed to them because they might contain alcohol?   You seem to be going worst case scenario more than what is actually going on for the most part, imo.  I'm a parent, I get the concerns, but I think some of these scenarios are over blown.  Does it happen sometimes? Sure.  As do a multitude of other things parents have to call the poison control centers for because their kids ate/drank.

Also, in my State, all of the edible packages have pretty highly visible "CANNABIS WILL MAKE YOUR KIDS SICK" warnings on them.

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I am in 100% agreement.

Legalize it.
Tax it.
Regulate it. 

Colorado sold $2 billion worth of marijuana in 2020.  The state ended up with $32 million in revenue.  

Link? You've proven you can't be trusted with numbers/facts without a source.

That is awesome if true and, like gambling, is something Texas should absolutely be doing to maximize revenue.

• Fuck You 3

Heh, all that reminds me of a popular family story.  When I was a wee little one, apparently my Grandmother handed me her Scotch and water to hold while she did something.  And being a toddler, I drank the whole thing down, threw up and got sick.   They managed to guilt trip her on that one the rest of her life.  I get to blame my math grades on her.

11 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

A work friend of mine is a super badass early 30s go-getter who was rocketing up the ladder at a fortune 50 tech company. She left what was probably a consistent high 3s, low 4s job running one of our company's premier global accounts to take a VP of sales job with an equity stake at a start up cannabis beverage company in SoCal. This isn't some SoCal yoga queen, she's a stone cold serious badass who wouldn't make a jump like that if she didn't think it would make her rich in short order. 

And they probably sell it at the weed store next to Starbucks around the corner from my sister's house in Oregon.  That place is like Neiman Marcus but for weed.

5 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Heh, all that reminds me of a popular family story.  When I was a wee little one, apparently my Grandmother handed me her Scotch and water to hold while she did something.  And being a toddler, I drank the whole thing down, threw up and got sick.   They managed to guilt trip her on that one the rest of her life.  I get to blame my math grades on her.

As a toddler, at an outdoor brunch among my parents' oil patch friends, I came across someone's bloody mary, and downed the whole SOB.  I was fine, didn't puke, and apparently liked it.

Man, nothing irritates me more than toddlers like you who can't hold their liquor.  Downfall of America, man.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Kind of a similar note, but my grandpa chewed Copenhagen long cut back in the day.  I was 4, and my grandparents were watching me.  He was watching TV and got up to go to the bathroom.  I had been trying to play with his tin of Cope, and he told me to stop because it was "grown up candy".

Well, he left the Cope on the coffee table, and being unsupervised in the presence of grown up candy, I had to dabble.  So I took a 4 year old handful of Cope and shoved it down my throat.

It looked like the god damn Exorcist in my grandparent's basement after that.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

As a toddler, at an outdoor brunch among my parents' oil patch friends, I came across someone's bloody mary, and downed the whole SOB.  I was fine, didn't puke, and apparently liked it.

Man, nothing irritates me more than toddlers like you who can't hold their liquor.  Downfall of America, man.

I love Bloody Marys now, but they were absolutely revolting to me until the age of 20.

9 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Link? You've proven you can't be trusted with numbers/facts without a source.

That is awesome if true and, like gambling, is something Texas should absolutely be doing to maximize revenue.

You're such a fucking bullshit troll.  Learn to independently verify, if you don't believe people. 

But here you go. 

https://coloradosun.com/2021/01/13/colorado-marijuana-sales-2020/

https://www.westword.com/marijuana/colorado-marijuana-sales-almost-hit-22-billion-in-2020-11896680

How's this for numbers/facts: https://cdor.colorado.gov/data-and-reports/marijuana-data/marijuana-sales-reports

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Do you warn your kids not to drink any liquids handed to them because they might contain alcohol?   You seem to be going worst case scenario more than what is actually going on for the most part, imo.  I'm a parent, I get the concerns, but I think some of these scenarios are over blown.  Does it happen sometimes? Sure.  As do a multitude of other things parents have to call the poison control centers for because their kids ate/drank.

Also, in my State, all of the edible packages have pretty highly visible "CANNABIS WILL MAKE YOUR KIDS SICK" warnings on them.

I agree it’s worst case scenario.  

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Early Cuyler:
Numbers? Numbers? Numbers was created by the prehistoric hispanics so they could thieve all the jobs from the Romans! Dinosaurs too! Hell yea!

Sheriff:
Uh... dinosaurs what?

Early Cuyler:
Computers, yup! Romans...

Sarah Palin Beer GIF by Adult Swim

11 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I agree it’s worst case scenario.  

I realize my post could come across as minimizing your concerns, so sorry if it came across as condescending.  My thoughts are that as a parent I treat it as I would any other controlled thing I don't want my kids to get/take, and to be open and honest with them as they age about my opinions on these things.  I can only hope to imprint as best I can before they quit listening to me and start listening to their friends.

Growing up in small town Texas, I know I am not alone on this board when I say I am very lucky to be alive and to have escaped many a foolish escapade of my youth.  Most of the ones that I cringe as I remember them and think "oh my god did I really do that" involved alcohol, which supposedly is forbidden to anyone under 21.  Hmmm.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Like independently verifying you were lying in your defense of Cop Kamala?

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Obsession noted.  I appreciate you sticking around and continuing to post, but pls stop smearing shit all over the place. 

Can't figure out which CR-turned-DT poster they are, yet.  

11 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Like independently verifying you were lying in your defense of Cop Kamala?

Prove your work, troll.  And it can't be from any conservative "news" source. 

932496-2020102020-pastedimage02.jpg

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

Packaging of edibles especially should be highly regulated for the reasons you describe, and it’s yet another reason for the feds to step in and get all this shit sorted out so we have something coherent in place. 

Mmmm, no thanks. I think states can handle that to the extent it needs to be handled.

17 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Yea I get that ultimately it’s my responsibility as a parent to protect my kids, and I do plan to educate them on these issues.  It’s just sad that I have to teach my kids to be suspicious if a classmate offers them some candy or a cookie.  

Your kids might be cooler than mine.  Most of their classmates don't give them candies or cookies.  ;)  Of course, they currently only see their classmates in person for a few hours each week.   I have just seriously not heard of any kids unknowingly offering other kids cannabis candy.  I'm sure there's a horror story out there somewhere, I suppose.  

Now, when the reach a certain age, all bets are off, but at that point it will be a knowing offer.  Much like some kid offering your kid an e-cig or a regular joint. 

37 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Prove your work, troll.  And it can't be from any conservative "news" source. 

932496-2020102020-pastedimage02.jpg

As California AG, Kamala had very little to do with arrest, prosecution, or sentencing decisions statewide.  The Cal AG has slightly more criminal jurisdiction than the Texas AG in that she's nominal head of the Cali DOJ, which is akin to the DPS/Rangers.

Her record as a prosecutor, who had frontline prosecution and sentencing discretion, speaks for itself.

ETA:  I'm not here to take sides on this, it's a done deal.  JS1 is a solid poster, but is a little factually off on this issue, so I just want to clarify so he's not posting erroneous info.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Mmmm, no thanks. I think states can handle that to the extent it needs to be handled.

I suspect, like drunk driving, our culture will benefit from some amount of public initiatives to help adapt. Someone getting caught off guard by edibles can certainly be extremely humorous, and I don't think we need to treat it quite the same way as driving under the influence, but the very real risks need to be socialized. There's a very real danger in high potency edibles.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ndawg said:

I suspect, like drunk driving, our culture will benefit from some amount of public initiatives to help adapt. Someone getting caught off guard by edibles can certainly be extremely humorous, and I don't think we need to treat it quite the same way as driving under the influence, but the very real risks need to be socialized. There's a very real danger in high potency edibles.

I agree that it's real, but that's not an instant mandate for federal regulation.

Unless you have a "dipshits with kids can't buy this shit" regulation, there's going to be some problems with that that most regulations, from any authority, are powerless to reach.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Js1 said:

They’ve both come out in favor of decriminalization.  Biden did it during the campaign.  He can use his executive order power to reschedule it so it’s not illegal 

Also marijuana convictions went down every year under Harris’ AG tenure so check your facts.  Kudos for blaming the black lady for perpetuating the War on Drugs that your party started and continues to use to ruin peoples’ lives. Keep your “Kamala the cop” misinformation for your Facebook buddies. 

14 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

U sUrE 'bOuT dAt?

As a prosecutor, Harris oversaw more than 1,900 cannabis related convictions in San Francisco, which was higher than her predecessor.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/09/11/kamala-harris-prosecuting-marijuana-cases/

He mentioned as AG of California not as a DA in San Francisco. Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things. But since you're so obsessed with the topic, I thought I could point you in the right direction so that you can check her record as AG (not DA). 

• Hook 'Em 4