Texas Tribune Donor Emails Drop

immamac

I don’t have the patience to go through the second file after spending an hour on the first one, but I expected it to be way worse than what I read.

A few funny ones, a few intellectually challenged folks, mostly just alumni voicing their opinions. 

Really enjoyed all the hate on Tom Herman I saw in there, along with the threats of blood being on the university’s hands for not canceling classes or the football season. 

Other highlights:

Make Our University Great Again,

Hire Urban Meyer,

Trump is Shit,

Greg Abbott is suppressing voters,

Do not start up the game with Aggy again

Edited by Enchubben

"MY first husband was olive skinned."  

I mean, I left the guinea son of a bitch when i found out he was part Moop.  But we had some good times at Texas football before that.

Edited by Lobo

6 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

"Also, if you want to add/change the names to the stadium or whatever, can you please take Colt McCoys name off the ring of honor. He’s a fucking hypocrite and didn’t accomplish shit"

shit.png

Oh boy. If you gave me this email without a name and gave me about 10 or so chances I think I could have guessed that somebody named “Tanner” wrote it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

"Also, if you want to add/change the names to the stadium or whatever, can you please take Colt McCoys name off the ring of honor. He’s a fucking hypocrite and didn’t accomplish shit"

shit.png

Tanner Smith seems to be the one who's crying like a little bitch.

33 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Apparently UT has a Chinese spy intrusion problem (no CR):

image.png.ee0ed2c41d325c1cce311601ef0f0287.png

it is actually an ongoing major issue at a very large number of US universities

the FBI has concerns with students and the NIH has some major issues and ongoing investigations into researchers at US Universities that were also on the payroll of Chinese "talents" recruitment program which basically lead to the transfer of information to Chinese universities and research organizations

there have been a number of arrest and firings already

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

the FBI has concerns with students and the NIH has some major issues and ongoing investigations into researchers at US Universities that were also on the payroll of Chinese "talents" recruitment program which basically lead to the transfer of information to Chinese universities and research organizations

yep, every year we get a an hour report with Q&A with the UT System Chief of Police (his statewide force is the largest after DPS and has its own Academy and tank).  Anyway, invariably somebody asks him what his biggest worry is...and they lead with, "Mass shootings, rampant date rape, etc?"  And every year he gets dead fucking serious and says, "IP/cyber/lab theft by Chinese operators posing as students or faculty."  The projects taking place on his watch at M.D. Anderson, UT-Dallas, UT-Austin, UTSA, TAAC, et. al.  Hundreds of millions of dollars on some individual projects, tens of billions in aggregate across the system.  And the government partners security protocol is basically, "It's your responsibility, don't fuck this up or we're coming after you."  And he has to figure out how to protect all those secrets, both physical and digital, with a team of cops trained to basically break up frat parties.  But they execute on it really well year after year.  It's impressive.  

17 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

This is true and it’s hilarious. Everyone in those programs is Chinese already how are you ever going to catch them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

Yep, and no CR but all obstacles and safeguards implemented on the recommendation of the fbi have been removed in the last 4 weeks. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

12 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

This is very funny. He sure took a firm stance on Colt McCoy of all people in that email. 

Yeah, that's weird. Never heard the "Colt was trying to protect his NFL chances" angle before. 

Tanner seems a little crazy. High achiever who will be committable to an insane asylum by 30....

1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

shit.png

Texas Advance Commitment is racist? Colt McCoy is a hypocrite? Tanner should ask the university for a tuition refund because the university clearly failed to educate him in how to use critical thinking skills among other things.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

yep, every year we get a an hour report with Q&A with the UT System Chief of Police (his statewide force is the largest after DPS and has its own Academy and tank).  Anyway, invariably somebody asks him what his biggest worry is...and they lead with, "Mass shootings, rampant date rape, etc?"  And every year he gets dead fucking serious and says, "IP/cyber/lab theft by Chinese operators posing as students or faculty."  The projects taking place on his watch at M.D. Anderson, UT-Dallas, UT-Austin, UTSA, TAAC, et. al.  Hundreds of millions of dollars on some individual projects, tens of billions in aggregate across the system.  And the government partners security protocol is basically, "It's your responsibility, don't fuck this up or we're coming after you."  And he has to figure out how to protect all those secrets, both physical and digital, with a team of cops trained to basically break up frat parties.  But they execute on it really well year after year.  It's impressive.  

While it might be impressive, I wonder if they have the sophistication to really execute.  An effective attacker will masquerade as a trusted member on the network in order to access the information.  Worse yet, the attacker plays the long game and is employed inside the network.  Even skilled cyber security experts tend to be a step or 2 behind the attackers.  I struggle to see how UT System law enforcement has the skillset.  It's not like the attacker is going to park illegally in an "A" spot while he physically moves portions of the locally secure cloud into his vehicle.

Similarly, I hope UT verified that the emails they received - and shared - really were sent by the individuals named.  It is extremely easy to spoof the email address and sender information such that an unsophisticated recipient thinks they just got an email from Ben Dover or Mike Hunt (or Ralph Gardner).  A skilled IT person could scan the headers and determine the source of a message.  It's not clear what level of verification was performed by Texas before responding to the FOIA request.  There are clearly quite a few fools sending messages to the university.  I certainly hope UT verified before they shared.

12 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

Similarly, I hope UT verified that the emails they received - and shared - really were sent by the individuals named.  It is extremely easy to spoof the email address and sender information such that an unsophisticated recipient thinks they just got an email from Ben Dover or Mike Hunt (or Ralph Gardner).  A skilled IT person could scan the headers and determine the source of a message.  It's not clear what level of verification was performed by Texas before responding to the FOIA request.  There are clearly quite a few fools sending messages to the university.  I certainly hope UT verified before they shared.

Oh, they responded to boilerhorn@clownpenis.fart to make sure it was a real email address, and to threaten him with a restraining order if he actually smeared human excrement on any walls near the AD’s office because Tom Herman wasn’t “fired really fucking fast!”

Having worked on a few political campaigns and finance jobs, this thread is giving me flashbacks of the boomer emails I saw. 

2 hours ago, RollLeft said:

image.png.a27b0ce9810346228bfab80d96bf499c.png

Be blessed.

Edited by Sal
  • Hook 'Em 1