Story without a Happy Ending

Dr. Teeth

I'm rusty on how to respond to mass shootings (thankfully).  I think I offer thoughts and prayers, and then we spend three pages of posts correcting journalists on what kind of weapons he used.  But that aside, this is the first one I can remember in a long while that took place at three distinctly separate locations.  That's a rarity in crimes like this, particularly since he's still alive.  His lawyer will wisely never let us know what his motivation was for this.  But gee, I wonder if we could figure it out.  

All good thoughts to those poor, dead women, many, if not most (or all), who were trapped into such a horrible lifestyle of having to jerk off men in desperate search for an orgasm. Clearly, this murderer didn't give a fuck about these likely imported sex slaves, because he would have otherwise gone after the assholes who forced them into such a god-awful lifestyle.

I hope they, and the others who were likely forced into such a condition, get the justice they deserve and that this piece of shit receives the justice he has earned.

• Hook 'Em 3

58 minutes ago, grazinhorn said:

Good grief.  I guess I'm not sure what a "legit" spa is now, but these places I saw on the news with "spa" in their name are sure as shit not places my wife would go for whatever it is that lets me play golf from time to time.  Regardless, I'm not sure how noting that jumps to me thinking anyone deserves to be murdered.  I probably am a cunt at times, though, so I won't dispute that, asshole.

The more I think about this, the more I'm getting pissed off.

Your observation that these weren't "'legit' spas" truly captures where our collective outrage should lie. Their clienteles, who were obviously hoodwinked into thinking they were going to get warm stones placed on their backs along with a nice cayenne pepper cleanse, were duped. It truly must've been a shock, and I can understand how this man must've felt when he didn't get the "service" he thought he'd paid for. 

You're absolutely correct in pointing out that the signage was totally misleading and would've been a complete and utter surprise for such a strapping, red-blooded, American male such as him. It's a crying shame.

robert-aaron-long.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

36 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The US averages more than one per day*. It’s gotta be special to make the news though.

*In 2020, the United States reported 611 mass shooting events that resulted in 513 deaths and 2,543 injuries.

Best way to cut that number down: clearly we need to redefine "mass shooting." I mean, come on, anything less than ten is hardly really "mass," is it? I thought this was America. We do things big here. Double-digit fatalities or GTFO.

Gee, I wonder why some country blumpkin incel would commit violence against asian folks... I'd bet his social media and gab/parler posts have quite a bit of "kung flu" and "china virus" in em

Per the news this morning they haven’t found any social media stuff so far.

8 hours ago, bolverk said:

Agreed.  This truly does suck, and hopefully the more significant awareness being generated about the crappy treatment of the asian community will be a meaningful byproduct and lead to change.  Not that that is worth the lives lost.

10 hours ago, bolverk said:

Your observation that these weren't "'legit' spas" truly captures where our collective outrage should lie. Their clienteles, who were obviously hoodwinked into thinking they were going to get warm stones placed on their backs along with a nice cayenne pepper cleanse, were duped. It truly must've been a shock, and I can understand how this man must've felt when he didn't get the "service" he thought he'd paid for. 

You're absolutely correct in pointing out that the signage was totally misleading and would've been a complete and utter surprise for such a strapping, red-blooded, American male such as him. It's a crying shame.

robert-aaron-long.png

That dude looks like a cousin of mine except my cousin doesn’t have a stupid beard like that

The US averages more than one per day*. It’s gotta be special to make the news though.

*In 2020, the United States reported 611 mass shooting events that resulted in 513 deaths and 2,543 injuries.

Define special. As there is apparently one of these per day, what criteria is needed for the news to care or for a thread to be created on Surly.

10 hours ago, bolverk said:

robert-aaron-long.png

‘Tis a fine tugger, but ‘tis no spa, English. 

10 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Best way to cut that number down: clearly we need to redefine "mass shooting." I mean, come on, anything less than ten is hardly really "mass," is it? I thought this was America. We do things big here. Double-digit fatalities or GTFO.

How do we define a mass shooting?  One shooter, two or more shot?  What about a drug deal gone bad and two guys shoot each other?  What about a warrant served where cops shoot 2 or more people?  Two or more guys each shoot one person?  What if it’s coordinated but in different places?- 3 guys in 3 cities talk online and decide to show up at a church/mosque/synagogue at 11 am on Tuesday and start shooting. Is that one event or 3?

How do we define a mass shooting?  One shooter, two or more shot?  What about a drug deal gone bad and two guys shoot each other?  What about a warrant served where cops shoot 2 or more people?  Two or more guys each shoot one person?  What if it’s coordinated but in different places?- 3 guys in 3 cities talk online and decide to show up at a church/mosque/synagogue at 11 am on Tuesday and start shooting. Is that one event or 3?

According to Wiki there have been three other mass shooting events in 2021 that killed 6 people and injured several others. I do not remember threads being started for those. So I guess maybe the criteria for caring is 7 or more deaths?
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I was just going to look up exactly what counts as a mass shooting, but I saw this name and had to show it to y'all.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/dec/13/what-counts-as-a-mass-shooting-the-dangerous-effects-of-varying-definitions

Shortly after the school shooting in Parkland, Florida, in 2018, the research analyst Marisa Booty was tasked with updating data about mass shootings for the Center for Gun Policy and Research and Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore. 

I think this particular one is making national news because there is now blatant evidence that he was at these places before and was scouting them out (so there's your premeditation), he went to multiple sites to murder multiple people (so really checks the 'mass shooter event' boxes), he has mountains of evidence regarding his bias against Asians and his political extremist leanings. 

I know some whiners like to think the media is sensationalizing this one for political purposes.  But going back way before 2016...it's just a rule of thumb in law enforcement with regard to mass shootings---one person with one weapon at one place shooting it up, that's disturbing.  But a person or persons, laying out a multi-site attack, based on the people at those locations, and then murdering people of one particular type for socio-political reasons...that just gets more attention because it can be carried out to more deadly extreme.  But for the high speed chase, this dipshit probably had a map of another half-dozen Asian spas and parlors throughout Atlanta/suburbs where he was gonna go pick off another dozen people before some call center minimum wage employee at State Police dispatch finally caught on and realized how many crimes were being committed at massage parlors with funny sounding names.  Murder sprees like this get more attention just like serial killers who target a specific profile of victim. 

And the other worry is did he work with other conspiracy dipshits on this, either online or in person?  Are there others laying in wait to finish his work?  Somebody shoots up a mall and says they had help or inspiration, well you triple security at that mall for the near future.  But somebody says "All Asian-owned businesses in the Southeast"...yeah, that's a tough security net to cast.  And you know there's now way this dipshit knows the difference between Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Thai, and Japanese writing/names on businesses so he would have been shooting up all kinds of places.  

Finally, we gotta now worry about copy-cat shootings.  Other jammed-up, conspiracy, anti-Asian, Qanon wound-up, worshipping you-know-who, right-wing militia "let's do this for God" fuckbags around the country are looking at this guy and coming away with two things and two things only..."He sent a message to China about their role in the pandemic in America, it's their fault how many died, not ours!" and the other one........."Shooter is miraculously unharmed."  he can now broadcast his message from an outlet of mass prominence---the American International Media.  everyone will hear his twisted thoughts now.  And that's feature, not a bug...to these people.  

After physical assaults by alt.right extremists on Asian Americans all over this country for the last year, the FBI has been warning time and time again about how this was going to escalate and get more of a bodycount.  But nope, because James Comey said some shit that nobody here can even fucking remember 3.5 years ago...so now we have to categorically ignore everything the FBI says.  In our entire intelligence apparatus, there are 70,000 people monitoring terrorist overseas on our behalf.  There are only a few hundred monitoring terrorism in our borders.  And they are by far, much more dangerous.

Shooter says it was not racially motivated. He was struggling with sex addiction and wanted to eliminate the temptation. He was headed to kill more people when he was caught.

Deadly spa shootings: Suspect had ‘issues’ with sexual addiction, planned to carry out more attacks, mayor says https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/new-fbi-joins-investigation-into-deadly-spa-rampage-8-dead-1-injured/KSUOKEPYSJGIPE6LXDXBIVASHY

More info coming out on the shooter, his dad was a minister at a Baptist church and the shooter was a youth minister for a time. Color me shocked he had some hangups on sex and didn't know how to process them appropriately. 

It's remarkable how gently the cops are treating him in the press considering he shot 8 people on several stops and was on his way to kill more. Wonder why the cops didn't """fear for their lives""" the same way they always seem to when dealing with nonwhite suspects

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, d2o said:

Sickening.   Cause he had sexual hangups he was willing to kill multiple people to keep himself from sinning as if murdering folks isn't a sin

Well therein lies the rub...

Edited by EuroHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Swing and a miss

Well with what we know for now at least. There's screencaps of his social media posts floating around that put him squarely in the "china flu" gang just like yourself, but I just assume those are fake until otherwise proven. 

However I can understand why you'd be sensitive to accusations of racism against asians, considering your posting history and word choice

• Fuck You 2

Well with what we know for now at least. There's screencaps of his social media posts floating around that put him squarely in the "china flu" gang just like yourself, but I just assume those are fake until otherwise proven. 
However I can understand why you'd be sensitive to accusations of racism against asians, considering your posting history and word choice

We all know you couldn’t wait before the dead bodies could turn cold before making it a dividing political statement considering your posting history
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

We all know you couldn’t wait before the dead bodies could turn cold before making it a dividing political statement considering your posting history

Dude a fucking hate crime happened. Racism and bigotry is a pretty common theme in those types of offenses. 

What, should I be more sensitive to angry religious incels who solve their problems with violence? I fucking want to be divided from people like that, and those who make excuses for them. 

Don't you?

• Hook 'Em 1

Dude a fucking hate crime happened. Racism and bigotry is a pretty common theme in those types of offenses. 
What, should I be more sensitive to angry religious incels who solve their problems with violence? I fucking want to be divided from people like that, and those who make excuses for them. 
Don't you?

Wait I just saw that you said “like yourself “ because you said he has social media wuflu, Kung flu posts. I’ve never posted any of that shit. But Because I don’t wake up thinking it’s my last day on earth and i still take every safety precautions you do... all of us who voted for the guy you didn’t are basically the same. Probably pieces of shit, right?

No of course I don’t condone this. It’s terrible.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Maybe he wasn’t shot because he surrendered peacefully? I don’t know the details, but did he shoot at the cops before being taken into custody?

And we still don’t have a Surly consensus for when mass murders warrant a thread or a post in the CR active shooter thread.

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

Maybe he wasn’t shot because he surrendered peacefully? I don’t know the details, but did he shoot at the cops before being taken into custody?

And we still don’t have a Surly consensus for when mass murders warrant a thread or a post in the CR active shooter thread.

You say this as if it has mattered in other police involved shootings/beatings.  Dafuq?

7 minutes ago, Hate said:

He most certainly did not "surrender peacefully."  He was clearly driving to get away to such an extent that the PIT maneuver was employed to stop him.  And as we've been told 1,000 times, a car is indeed a "deadly weapon."

• Hook 'Em 1

Edit: Google translate of the story below:

A total of 8 people were killed and 1 injured in a series of shootings in Atlanta, Georgia and 3 nearby Asian massage parlors on the afternoon of the 16th. A local Korean media reported that he made a remark'I will do this.'

On the 17th, the Hankook Ilbo, Atlanta, quoted an employee A of the massage parlor'Gold Massage Spa' where the shooting took place, and said that the suspect at the time of the crime said that he would'kill all Asians'. It is known that Mr. A was in the store at the time of the shooting, but managed to evacuate and then conveyed the information to a nearby Korean business.

According to the media, the police visited a nearby Korean business and advised business owners to close the door, saying that it may be a hate crime targeting Asians.

At around 5 pm on the 16th, the first shooting took place in Aworth, a nearby city 50km away from the city of Atlanta, killing four people, and about 47 minutes later, a total of four people were killed in the'Gold Massage Spa' in northeastern Atlanta and the'Aromatherapy Spa' across from the city. . The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that four out of the eight people who died were of Korean origin.

Definitely going to be more reporting on this, so hold on to your butts

Edited by Captainant

Yeah, I wouldn’t have cared at all if they had dropped this piece of shit right there. I was just providing a possible scenario while admitting that I had no idea if he had surrendered peacefully. I really wish that he had the guts to go ahead and eat a bullet himself (other than obviously wishing he hadn’t done this in the first place). It would have saved us all a lot of time and energy on a POS that deserves neither.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

He behaved the way he did so he could stay alive to espouse his belief system and inspire more people.  

cowardly Sex addicts aren’t really looking to raise  small armies to spread the seed of their ideologies 

Edited by Lobo

16 hours ago, bolverk said:

robert-aaron-long.png

Radar O'Reilly?