Story without a Happy Ending

Dr. Teeth

Atlanta’s mayor, Keisha Lance Bottoms:

“We are not about to get into victim-blaming, victim-shaming here,” she said. “And as far as we know in Atlanta, these are legally operating businesses that have not been on our radar, not on the radar of A.P.D.”

Sorry, but that's ridiculous. If a business called 'Young Asian Massage' opened up in my jurisdiction, it would blow the fuse out of my radar.

6 minutes ago, ouflak said:

Sorry, but that's ridiculous. If a business called 'Young Asian Massage' opened up in my jurisdiction, it would blow the fuse out of my radar.

yes, the sex workers are the story here. Not the southern baptist religious extremist murdering them.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 4:57 PM, Lobo said:

I think this particular one is making national news because there is now blatant evidence that he was at these places before and was scouting them out 

“I swear mom, the only reason you saw my car in the lot is because I was prepping to do some murders later .” 

Edited by 956 Worldwide

On 3/17/2021 at 1:35 PM, Hate said:

And we still don’t have a Surly consensus for when mass murders warrant a thread or a post in the CR active shooter thread.

Well there was one in NOLA a month or so ago, at a gun range.  None of the usual CR suspects opining on it.  Can't figure out why.  

12 hours ago, Captainant said:

yes, the sex workers are the story here. Not the southern baptist religious extremist murdering them.

We can go off on tangents if that's what we chose to do. It seems the media has made its mind up on that. But the fact is that this particular branch of the industry is well known for its terrible acts of human trafficking and often times brutal sexual exploitation of young women. I know everybody wants to make this about race right now. But these women, not only the victims of this crime, but the many who are still victims of the of the crimes that put them in this vulnerable situation in the first place, deserve better. It looks like all of that is going to be swept under the carpet for a media-driven agenda is being entirely innappropriately applied in my opinion, and does a disservice to the Asian community.

Edited by ouflak
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 3/17/2021 at 10:23 AM, Hate said:

Define special. As there is apparently one of these per day, what criteria is needed for the news to care or for a thread to be created on Surly.

It’s gotta be a white person that commits it in order to be special or reported.  The 200 or so that are shootings in Chicago are reported like a spring training White Sox score.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ouflak said:

That means "catch a nut" right? Hadn't heard that one before. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ouflak said:

It looks like all of that is going to be swept under the carpet for a media-driven agenda

Get out of here with rational thoughts. The cabal gets frothy outrage from their media overlords then runs in here to electronically deliver social justice. Nevermind the 50,000 people delivered to the US each year for trafficking purposes. Many of those under 18.

We will take 2 or 3 media cycles to focus on the crazy Baptist dude and the poor 8 souls who lost their lives, feel good about ourselves, then sweep it under the rug. ‘Murica.

• Like 3

I assume that you guys crying about the "cabal" posting with an agenda have a deep and rich history of posting about the tragedy of white on white shootings as well as posting your very serious concerns about human trafficking of Asian sex workers. Since it's important to you I'd love to read your thoughts on it. Links please?

I'll wait because I'd just be astounded if you were being disingenuous. No way you'd ever do that, the titans of consistency and intellectual honesty that you all are.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, BradInATX said:

I assume that you guys crying about the "cabal" posting with an agenda have a deep and rich history of posting about white on white shootings as well as posting your very serious concerns about human trafficking of Asian sex workers. Since it's important to you I'd love to read your thoughts on it. Link please?

You see the thing is. I don’t really just post here, I actually do something about it. You can continue to live here in virtual world. I’ll try to do some good things out here in the community.

Google up “Jesus Said Love”. There’s your answer and feel free to give a donation while you’re at it.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I assume that you guys crying about the "cabal" posting with an agenda have a deep and rich history of posting about white on white shootings as well as posting your very serious concerns about human trafficking of Asian sex workers. Since it's important to you I'd love to read your thoughts on it. Link please?

As tragic as this situation is, it is also a Golden opportunity to shed some light, and perhaps even meaningfully deal with, the sex trafficking/trade industry of young Asian women. Whatever posts we (and many many others) have had in the past certainly were agreed with and then forgottern. It happens. It's life. But this is now a real chance for real dialogue about an obviously uncomfortable but on-going subject. And people might finally do something more than just agree-and-forget.

Instead, we're going to talk about white sex-depraved Baptist extremism. What a world we live in.

Edited by ouflak

You see the thing is. I don’t really just post here, I actually do something about it. You can continue to live here in virtual world. I’ll try to do some good things out here in the community.
Google up “Jesus Said Love”. There’s your answer and feel free to give a donation while you’re at it.

giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd78cts3xmxyi2j1bro71x3vc2szl29dg46dtudm4wh&rid=giphy.gif
  • Haha 2

As tragic as this situation is, it is also a Golden opportunity to shed some light, and perhaps even meaningfully deal with, the sex trafficking/trade industry of young Asian women. Whatever posts we (and many many others) have had in the past certainly were agreed with and then forgottern. It happens. It's life. But this is now a real chance for real dialoque about an obviously uncomfortable but on-going subject. And people might finally do something more than just agree-and-forget.

Instead, we're going to talk about white sex-depraved Baptist extremism. What a world we live in.

And yet you chose to make the central theme of your post a tantrum against the media, not an actual attempt to open up a line of discussion on sex trafficking.

You've shown your cards about what's important to you. Your "outrage" is a convenient means to rail on the media.

13 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

And yet you chose to make the central theme of your post a tantrum against the media, not an actual attempt to open up a line of discussion on sex trafficking.

You've shown your cards about what's important to you. Your "outrage" is a convenient means to rail on the media.

If I was the media, I'd take the opportunity. I'd call out that mayor's blasé attitude about ignoring terrible crimes happening under their watch, and I wouldn't let up until that attitude demonstrably changed with real action. I'd focus this discussion on an industry that is clearly destructive and exploitive, on a massive scale, of young Asian women, and I would do it while you have the nation's attention. But I'm not. I'm just some anonymous poster on a tiny corner of the internet. The media has clearly decided what it's going to focus on. And the lives and outcomes of these thousands of women isn't going to change one bit as a result.

Edited by ouflak
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, ouflak said:

If I was the media, I'd take the opportunity. I'd call about that mayor's blasé attitude about ignoring terrible crimes happening under their watch, and I wouldn't let up until that attitude demonstrably changed with real action. I'd focus this discussion on an industry that is clearly destructive and exploitive, on a massive scale, of young Asian women. But I'm not. I'm just some anonymous poster on a tiny corner of the internet. The media has clearly decided what it's going to focus on. And the lives of these thousands of women isn't going to change one bit as a result.

And the media isn't going to stop doing what they do because of an anonymous poster either, and yet you've chosen to focus your energy on the media's perceived lack of coverage about it (which I mostly agree with you about), rather than the sex trafficking itself.

But here's the thing, there have been discussions about sex trafficking. Very recently a rich asshole was busted frequenting those places and taking advantage of sex trafficked women. And guess how many posts there are by you, Newdoc, or the rest of the "the media isn't giving proper coverage to sex trafficking!!" crowd there were on that thread? Zero. 

So again, there's a very real discussion to be had about sex trafficking. But it's plain that that's not what's important here, rather that it's just a tool being used to advance a tired anti-media talking point that distracts from real issues that we have as a country. Continued partisan intellectual dishonesty. The media is terrible, but let's not use manufactured outrage about a very real problem to advance our agenda against it. When we do that, we do a disservice to the actual real problems.

FWIW the posts jumping to conclusions about him being a redneck inspired by Q or Trump or whatever are agenda-driven as well and they don't belong here either. It's pretty clear that the dude was just a nutjob who had mommy issues about getting shitty handjobs at massage parlors. His politics don't matter and shouldn't be part of this thread. 

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

FWIW the posts jumping to conclusions about him being a redneck inspired by Q or Trump or whatever are agenda-driven as well and they don't belong here either. It's pretty clear that the dude was just a nutjob who had mommy issues about getting shitty handjobs at massage parlors. His politics don't matter and shouldn't be part of this thread. 

While he very possibly is, until something comes out on it, this isn’t wrong. Just another flavor of agenda. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

While he very possibly is, until something comes out on it, this isn’t wrong. Just another flavor of agenda. 

Agreed. I don't think that either the "he's a redneck Trumper" or "the media sucks" belongs on this thread is my point. There are threads for both of those things already. I agree that this is a great opportunity to talk about sex trafficking, etc., so let's talk about that rather than more droll politics-adjacent conversations about religious nuts and the shitty media.

Edited by BradInATX

37 minutes ago, ouflak said:

If I was the media, I'd take the opportunity. I'd call out that mayor's blasé attitude about ignoring terrible crimes happening under their watch, and I wouldn't let up until that attitude demonstrably changed with real action. I'd focus this discussion on an industry that is clearly destructive and exploitive, on a massive scale, of young Asian women, and I would do it while you have the nation's attention. But I'm not. I'm just some anonymous poster on a tiny corner of the internet. The media has clearly decided what it's going to focus on. And the lives and outcomes of these thousands of women isn't going to change one bit as a result.

If you had been watching CNN about an hour ago, like my wife was, you would have seen they were doing exactly this.  They had an Asian lady named Bee Nguyen on for a segment talking about it.  So it has been mentioned.  The sex-trafficking aspect, as well as the marriage racket and the fact that Asian women are from a lot of perspectives looked at and treated as sex objects.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Well there was one in NOLA a month or so ago, at a gun range.  None of the usual CR suspects opining on it.  Can't figure out why.  

Then make a post on it rather than bitch about the lack of the post. I had never heard of the incident, but from google it looks like it there was a personal dispute in the store when the assailant took out his gun and fired. He was killed almost immediately, it sounds like deservedly so. Weird how you can't figure out why that incident might not be covered in the "active shooter" thread versus this one involving one guy attacking multiple locations over an hour.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Fulton County ME just released more victim info

Case Number: 2021-0703
Name: Soon C. Park
Race: Asian
Sex: Female
Date of Injury: 03/16/2021
Date of Death: 03/16/2021

The Office of the Fulton County Medical Examiner performed an autopsy on Soon C. Park on Wednesday, March 17, 2021.

Cause of Death: Gunshot wound of head
Manner of Death: Homicide

Case Number: 2021-0704
Name: Hyun J. Grant

The Office of the Fulton County Medical Examiner performed an autopsy on Hyun J. Grant on Wednesday, March 17, 2021.

Case Number: 2021-0705
Name: Suncha Kim

The Office of the Fulton County Medical Examiner performed an autopsy on Suncha Kim on Wednesday, March 17, 2021.

Cause of Death: Gunshot wounds of chest

Case Number: 2021-0706
Name: Yong A. Yue

The Office of the Fulton County Medical Examiner performed an autopsy on Yong A. Yue on Wednesday, March 17, 2021.

Ages 74, 51, 69, and 63. I'm no robert kraft, but that doesn't strike me as the demo that gets hired for rub-n-tugs. 

Factor in that 3/4 causes of death were fucking HEADSHOTS, this looks more like a fucking execution than a """bad day"""

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Then make a post on it rather than bitch about the lack of the post. I had never heard of the incident, but from google it looks like it there was a personal dispute in the store when the assailant took out his gun and fired. He was killed almost immediately, it sounds like deservedly so. Weird how you can't figure out why that incident might not be covered in the "active shooter" thread versus this one involving one guy attacking multiple locations over an hour.  

There's a thread on this very site.  I posted in it.  I don't know the definition of mass shooting, but 7 people fired guns, and several were killed with no motive.  You'll make it thru the entire thread without anyone making a guess at the shooters politics.  Weird. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

There's a thread on this very site.  I posted in it.  I don't know the definition of mass shooting, but 7 people fired guns, and several were killed with no motive.  You'll make it thru the entire thread without anyone making a guess at the shooters politics.  Weird. 

So, there was a post? What are you bitching about then? Does anything about that event seem to scream it was a targeted piece of violence rather than a hothead, idiot starting a fight in store full of people with guns? What more did you want to say about it? Murders happen every day. All of them terrible. But most are heat of the moment things or related to muggings/robberies. Events like this are different precisely because they aren't heat of the moment and aren't associated with what we consider to be typical criminal motives. We have an intuitive understanding of the former, but the latter are more perplexing. It makes them more interesting to discuss.  It is the same reason you'll find more coverage of serial killers. I'm sorry that upsets you. 

Edited by Dahobbs

14 hours ago, Captainant said:

Murder a bunch of asian sex workers? Just a bad day.

Make excuses for that murderer? Just a bad day. 

When I first heard him say that It didn’t even register with me.  I thought he was being sarcastic and snarky, but then again I’m a sarcastic snarky person so everything seems that way to me. 

10 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

So, there was a post? What are you bitching about then? Does anything about that event seem to scream it was a targeted piece of violence rather than a hothead, idiot starting a fight in store full of people with guns? What more did you want to say about it? Murders happen every day. All of them terrible. But most are heat of the moment things or related to muggings/robberies. Events like this are different precisely because they aren't heat of the moment and aren't associated with what we consider to be typical criminal motives. We have an intuitive understanding of the former, but the latter are more perplexing. It makes them more interesting to discuss.  It is the same reason you'll find more coverage of serial killers. I'm sorry that upsets you. 

https://nypost.com/2021/01/10/man-who-shot-8-strangers-once-said-hed-blow-up-whole-community/

Here is one.  According to Wiki, he killed 5 people randomly at several different locations over the course of several hours. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Nothing but the hypocrisy upsets me.  But sure, lots of people visit places with their family, then snap and start murdering people, to the point where the family with them can't even explain why.  Happens everyday.  

jesus fuck can you stop shitting this thread with your whataboutism? The ugly truth is that people are intentionally and criminally shot in hot blood pretty often in America, but it's pretty fucking outside the norm for one pube-chinned chud to go from site to site, shooting old asian women in the head in cold blood.

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, ouflak said:

As tragic as this situation is, it is also a Golden opportunity to shed some light, and perhaps even meaningfully deal with, the sex trafficking/trade industry of young Asian women. Whatever posts we (and many many others) have had in the past certainly were agreed with and then forgottern. It happens. It's life. But this is now a real chance for real dialogue about an obviously uncomfortable but on-going subject. And people might finally do something more than just agree-and-forget.

You mean like legalizing prostitution in TX? 

That’s not going to happen, even though it’s absolutely everywhere. 

The Baptists in my old town of Killeen have already started to come out in veiled sympathy with him even though hookers make up about 1/5 of the town’s population  

9 minutes ago, Captainant said:

jesus fuck can you stop shitting this thread with your whataboutism? The ugly truth is that people are intentionally and criminally shot in hot blood pretty often in America, but it's pretty fucking outside the norm for one pube-chinned chud to go from site to site, shooting old asian women in the head in cold blood.

Sorry your myopic view that this was racially based and ONLY that can be the motive and not other viewpoints need be considered.  Please continue with your unbiased and objective postings....

Gun range shooting that was preceded by an altercation, over within seconds. Relatively easy to understand. Fwiw, this one did receive national attention, but the low body count doesn’t really hold interest. 

However many shootings in chicago... almost all tied to gang warfare and drugs. Very easy to understand. 5+ dead in one shooting would get some national attention (New Orleans gang shooting several years back comes to mind) but again, the circumstance isn’t particularly interesting so it won’t hold people’s attention. When you add in that it’s usually only 1-2 people dying a pop, forget about it. No one gives a shit, no matter how high the body counts add up to. 

Someone mentally sick or hateful enough to target people based on race, sex, or just randomly kill anyone. That’s not so easy for many people to understand. That’s why this type of shooting generates the most interest. 

As a general rule, body counts matter over anything else when it comes to national attention. The white supremacist killing 2 black people at the Kentucky grocery store wasn’t in the national news very long. He didn’t kill enough people for people to care.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Sorry your myopic view that this was racially based and ONLY that can be the motive and not other viewpoints need be considered.  Please continue with your unbiased and objective postings....

I agree, it was more than just race motivating the shooter. It was religious extremism AND racism.

It's just very predictable that in this thread you and yours have been posting about everything BUT the news story that started this thread. Almost like you'd rather people not focus on the story at hand for some reason, and bitch about how white people aren't getting a fair shake from the media - or how the CABAL is controlling the story (which DEFINITELY isn't an antisemetic trope btw).

But in this story, one angry baptist incel murdered 8 people at 3 different locations across Georgia and was on his way to Florida to kill more before the police stopped him with PIT maneuver and apprehended him. 

But sure, something something Chicago, or whatever else you saw on fox news/facebook/gab last night.

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Hate said:

https://nypost.com/2021/01/10/man-who-shot-8-strangers-once-said-hed-blow-up-whole-community/

Here is one.  According to Wiki, he killed 5 people randomly at several different locations over the course of several hours. 

Start a thread on it. I don't remember reading about it at the time. The thing about the rant about Satan may suggest a mental health break of some sort. 

31 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Nothing but the hypocrisy upsets me.  But sure, lots of people visit places with their family, then snap and start murdering people, to the point where the family with them can't even explain why.  Happens everyday.  

What hypocrisy? It wasn't an "active shooter" so really didn't belong in the active shooter thread. And it doesn't seem like there is much to discuss. Dude was a hothead, idiot, asshole.  The article I saw said the guy walked into the gun store, was asked to remove the ammo from his gun, got indignant about it, fired a "warning" shot (whatever that means), and then shot a clerk. The rest of the store opened fire and killed him. It just sounded like a hothead who thought he shouldn't be told what to do. I didn't see anything about his family being with him. 

Edited by Dahobbs

28 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I’m sorry. I thought that was the active shooter/mass shooting thread.   Maybe a more specific title so we can figure out which mass shootings are applicable should be in order.   

Edited by fattyflattie

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m sorry. I thought this was the active shooter/mass shooting thread.   Maybe a more specific title so we can figure out which mass shootings are applicable should be in order.   

Go post it in that thread if you want. Literally no one is stopping you. Start the conversation. 

Just now, Dahobbs said:

Go post it in that thread if you want. Literally no one is stopping you. Start the conversation. 

Shooter had wrong politics.  Apparently not interesting. I’ll wait for another shooting where the shooters politics can immediately be assumed. That way it’ll be worthy of conversation.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m sorry. I thought that was the active shooter/mass shooting thread.   Maybe a more specific title so we can figure out which mass shootings are applicable should be in order.   

Is this a serious post? Did you forget what thread you were in? 

24 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I agree, it was more than just race motivating the shooter. It was religious extremism AND racism.

95% of the worlds population are religious practitioners.  You have proof this was religiously motivated....beyond simply stating that he's Baptist?

Jesus the confirmation bias is so think you can walk on it....

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

95% of the worlds population are religious practitioners.  You have proof this was religiously motivated....beyond simply stating that he's Baptist?

Jesus the confirmation bias is so think you can walk on it....

Well the guys own story is he had to go shoot all the Asian massage women to prevent him from sinning. So there’s that. 

Luckily he skipped right past the twin peaks, hooters and various strip clubs. 

Sorry for partying. 

Actually I’m pretty much done with the cloak room. It’s pretty boring nowadays without you guys and with trump gone.  

Right? It’s almost as if all the worlds problems are solved now.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Well the guys own story is he had to go shoot all the Asian massage women to prevent him from sinning. So there’s that. 

Luckily he skipped right past the twin peaks, hooters and various strip clubs. 

Yeah, he's definitely not fucking crazy.  It's got to be.....checks left-leaning talking points:  rasicm.  Check.  Religious zealotry.  Check.  Bigotry.  Check.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Yeah, he's definitely not fucking crazy.  It's got to be.....checks left-leaning talking points:  rasicm.  Check.  Religious zealotry.  Check.  Bigotry.  Check.  

Oh he’s definitely crazy. He’s also most likely racist and a religious nut too. Just like the 911 jihadist wackos who took down the twin towers were. 

Or were they just crazy too? 

• Hook 'Em 3