2021 NCAA Tournament - Meta thread

Machinator

7 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Been that way forever. Never understood it. 

Back in the '90s, before they went to multiple networks, CBS would cram all 8 Sunday second round games into a 12-7 eastern time window.  CBS also liked to give Duke's second round game an exclusive window as the first game on Saturday, like clockwork.

Edited by J.R. Juniors Junior Jr.

On 2/24/2021 at 11:48 AM, ztejas said:

Illinois has been by far the most overrated team all season. I wouldn't be that surprised if they lose their first tourney game.

On 1/19/2021 at 8:31 PM, ztejas said:

I have no idea. NET seems poorly conceived and I made a similar point earlier in the season. Illinois other three losses (now) are to tOSU and Mizzou who are both good not great (maybe Tech level) and by 13 to Baylor. Their best win is by 27 against Minnesota and Duke on the "road" I guess? They seem like a perfectly mediocre tournament team.

And yet I took them to the final in my bracket and even put them in a parlay today. I knew it in January and didn't trust it. 

• Haha 2

Big 10 was hot garbage this year.  This has been the year of fundamentals.  Can you make free throws in a nearly empty arena?  How about pass over a press?  Does boxing out mean anything?  Do you play as a team or does getting beat become personal because it's not all the HC?  Does the HC make matchup adjustments--there's not that many plays in basketball for both defense and offense.      

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Big 10 was hot garbage this year.  This has been the year of fundamentals.  Can you make free throws in a nearly empty arena?  How about pass over a press?  Does boxing out mean anything?  Do you play as a team or does getting beat become personal?  

Exactly.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Texas was hot garbage this year.  This has been the year of fundamentals.  Can you make free throws in a nearly empty arena?  How about pass over a press?  Does boxing out mean anything?  Do you play as a team or does getting beat become personal?

Fixed for our local collegiate squad. Same principles and same faults.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Big 10 was hot garbage this year.  This has been the year of fundamentals.  Can you make free throws in a nearly empty arena?  How about pass over a press?  Does boxing out mean anything?  Do you play as a team or does getting beat become personal because it's not all the HC?  Does the HC make matchup adjustments--there's not that many plays in basketball for both defense and offense.      

Shaka's answer to all of these: no.

One thing that irritates me about the tourney is how they schedule/space games on Sunday in the 2nd round. There's only one game right now and then starting at 4, they are pushing out 6 games. So the last game is starting at 8:40p on Sunday. It's not 1950 anymore, even the good Christians don't go to church every Sunday. Plus we have this invention called the DVR. There will be more viewers inconvenienced by a late game on Sunday night than if you had a couple of early games during church.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

One thing that irritates me about the tourney is how they schedule/space games on Sunday in the 2nd round. There's only one game right now and then starting at 4, they are pushing out 6 games. So the last game is starting at 8:40p on Sunday. It's not 1950 anymore, even the good Christians don't go to church every Sunday. Plus we have this invention called the DVR. There will be more viewers inconvenienced by a late game on Sunday night than if you had a couple of early games during church.

It has to do with TV deals. CBS has a commitment to airing the news on Sunday nights, so they get their game allotments early without competition so they don’t lose viewership by not having the “prime time” games. 

Things revert back to normal tomorrow.

26 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Even if you wanted to avoid church you could go 1,2,3,2.

Edited by Wulaw Horn

fe7a6309c21f6a507112e929471e2a4a.jpg

• Machinator changed the title to 2021 NCAA Tournament - Meta thread