2021 NCAA Tournament - Meta thread

Machinator

I can't think of another time where there was this much parity. This tournament has been chaos--no team is safe.  It's fun because nobody knows shit--well, aside from Shaka sucking yet again.  This NCAA Tournament was a lost opportunity.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I tried to give up caring. They always suck me back in to break my heart. We will never have real success in anything that people care about. I still like our coach, still like our players who will be returning a year more experienced, but I just know they’ll break my heart again next year. The cycle continues and I’m powerless against it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

I tried to give up caring. They always suck me back in to break my heart. We will never have real success in anything that people care about. I still like our coach, still like our players who will be returning a year more experienced, but I just know they’ll break my heart again next year. The cycle continues and I’m powerless against it.

• Haha 1

Just now, 'stache said:

Well, you at least won your first tournament game and like your coach.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, 'stache said:

You ran into a team on an absolutely unreal run. Tinks was looking at getting fired in February. Just one of those things

9 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

I can't think of another time where there was this much parity. This tournament has been chaos--no team is safe.  It's fun because nobody knows shit--well, aside from Shaka sucking yet again.  This NCAA Tournament was a lost opportunity.  

I don't know. It kind of seems like Gonzaga and Baylor and then the rest. Outside of those 2, sure, I'm not sure how much of a gulf there is between anyone. Until Gonzaga doesn't beat OU's ass by 20 I'm sticking by that assessment. 

17 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Don't know who OSU is bringing in or the status of the postseason ban, but they bring back almost everyone sans Cunningham next year. Not predicting a run like we saw in the year following KD, but they'll be dangerous.

We know they can’t hire any more brothers of recruits. 

19 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Feel like I’m a bit of a foil to you as a fellow osu fan, in that I’m not quite so brisket ledge but still commiserate in your fatalist leanings. That being said, only one team ever leaves the basketball tournament truly happy...this isn’t the FBS ‘playoff’ which has top heavy dynasties and maybe 6 teams even have a shot to get ‘in’.  

That being said I’m still disappointed in 2016 Omaha, I thought we had that one. As counterpoint I still have our golf championship final round recorded, at least we aren’t aggy with no skins on the wall at all.  

7 minutes ago, pops said:

You ran into a team on an absolutely unreal run. Tinks was looking at getting fired in February. Just one of those things

I don’t know who in Corvallis sold their soul but it really is unreal. We started slow but our offense eventually started working. We got high percentage shots inside that have sustained us the last month and a half and they just rolled right off the rim. We’ve been making a huge percentage of and ones inside, until today, and then couldn’t hit a free throw to save our lives. Open looks from three just clanked out and bounced right to them. It really felt like some power was governing the game for them to win. Their stats weren’t special. Ours were atrocious. It’s the most frustrating game I think I’ve ever watched. At least we knew Travis Fords teams had no structure. He never heard of “running an offense.” We ran an offense today and got shots, they just kept rolling right off. Something was against us and it wasn’t their defense. I’m so down right now and I know it’s just kids playing a game. I’ve been in a bad place recently and this team was a bright spot. I’ll be over it tomorrow but goddamn it’s just depressing right now. No I’ll will to ORST, happy to see another “little brother” in their state have some success.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Homercles said:

Feel like I’m a bit of a foil to you as a fellow osu fan, in that I’m not quite so brisket ledge but still commiserate in your fatalist leanings. That being said, only one team ever leaves the basketball tournament truly happy...this isn’t the FBS ‘playoff’ which has top heavy dynasties and maybe 6 teams even have a shot to get ‘in’.  

That being said I’m still disappointed in 2016 Omaha, I thought we had that one. As counterpoint I still have our golf championship final round recorded, at least we aren’t aggy with no skins on the wall at all.  

I get that to some extent, but I truly think I’d be ok if we could just make a fucking sweet sixteen again. It’s been 16 fucking years. And yeah that 2016 CWS stings, as does the 2019 super regional. Like I said I think I’ll be over it by tomorrow, but I’m sad panda right now.

52 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Really cool post-game interview with OR St coach Tinkle.  He got teared up talking about how he grew up in Chicago with his (now deceased) father serving as the dean of students at Loyola-Chicago. 

Small world.

Tinks is salt of the earth. His dad was  Dean of men at Marquette, then loyola and then they moved to spokane.  The family drove out in 3 Ryder trucks with his 11 siblings. His dad wouldn't pay for a hotel so they pulled off the side of the road and they slept underneath the trucks. Can't make this shit up. 

Edited by pops

8 hours ago, 'stache said:

I don’t know who in Corvallis sold their soul but it really is unreal. We started slow but our offense eventually started working. We got high percentage shots inside that have sustained us the last month and a half and they just rolled right off the rim. We’ve been making a huge percentage of and ones inside, until today, and then couldn’t hit a free throw to save our lives. Open looks from three just clanked out and bounced right to them. It really felt like some power was governing the game for them to win. Their stats weren’t special. Ours were atrocious. It’s the most frustrating game I think I’ve ever watched. At least we knew Travis Fords teams had no structure. He never heard of “running an offense.” We ran an offense today and got shots, they just kept rolling right off. Something was against us and it wasn’t their defense. I’m so down right now and I know it’s just kids playing a game. I’ve been in a bad place recently and this team was a bright spot. I’ll be over it tomorrow but goddamn it’s just depressing right now. No I’ll will to ORST, happy to see another “little brother” in their state have some success.

You guys were fouled on every possession down the stretch and nothing was called. I don't want to be a blame the refs guy but there's a reason all the late shots looked so bad - they were either hacked on the shot or were fatigued from being hacked prior to the shot - in one such incident an oSu shooter was just flat run into so hard it knocked him backwards but he wasn't yet in the act of shooting so no whistle. Just having the clocked stopped there would have been beneficial as it was pure chaos at that point. I hate basketball when it's like that.

Where are my non 9-5ers?

I think Iowa has an outside chance at the title. Now, Oregon might beat them, but if not they have a good brand of ball and seem like they can rely on Garza to get tough buckets. Guessing their man issue is athleticism and D.