2021 NCAA Tournament - Meta thread

Machinator

34 minutes ago, WBT said:

That was a crazy stat they just showed.  Even with the way the game has changed, 1990 Loyola Marymount still has the record for most 3s made in the first two rounds of a tournament.

The game overall has changed, but nobody today is running the same type of offense that  Paul Westhead was dealing at LMU. They averaged  122 ppg in 1990 for fucks sake

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Blotto said:

The game overall has changed, but nobody today is running the same type of offense that  Paul Westhead was dealing at LMU. They averaged  122 ppg in 1990 for fucks sake

Taking out Michigan 149-115 or whatever it was is something I couldn’t wrap my 10 yo head around ...and still can’t wrap my 40 yo head around 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I really want the state of Texas to win a NC in basketball.  I don’t want to have to root for Baylor to do that, so UH it is.

With that said, no one is beating Gonzaga so there’s always next year.

The 11-point rape run tonight with 4 bigs on the floor and each of the 5 players driving the lane for a layup was the best 3 minutes in this tournament i've seen.  But i've only watched a few minutes of gonzo.

35 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Taking out Michigan 149-115 or whatever it was is something I couldn’t wrap my 10 yo head around ...and still can’t wrap my 40 yo head around 

That was one of the most amazing games I've ever seen on the TV's in my life.  Defending national champs score 115 points and get the absolute fuck beat out of them.  LMU couldn't miss anything that day.

LMU averaged 122 points a game that year (45 second shot clock days) and Bo Kimble averaged just under 36 points a game.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Baylor plays defense, better than anyone remaining and it's not close. It's an afterthought for Gonzaga.

I think you'll be surprised when you watch Gonzaga play. While not at Baylor's level, they are a really good defensive team when they feel challenged. Suggs and Ayayi are very good on the perimeter. Their bigs are good situational defenders. Would be a great matchup with Baylor. 

When’s the last time a team made the final four not facing a single digit seed?

Assuming it hasn’t happened considering that stat isn’t possible for a 1 seed, and would require a 12 or 13 seed to make the elite 8 which can’t have happened that often (believe I saw this was the first time a 12 seed made it this far since 2002)

Edited by UTexasFight

13 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Really impressive battle between the SWC and Pac12

SWC 10-2 after the sweet 16.

pac12 will be either 12-2 or 11-3.

fucking ‘sips keeping the swc from running away with it 

Too bad the selection committee seeded the SWC #3 and SWC #4 against each other in the second round.

11 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

When’s the last time a team made the final four not facing a single digit seed?

Assuming it hasn’t happened considering that stat isn’t possible for a 1 seed, and would require a 12 or 13 seed to make the elite 8 which can’t have happened that often (believe I saw this was the first time a 12 seed made it this far since 2002)

Pig's run in 1990 was close.  They beat #13 Princeton, #12 Dayton, #8 North Carolina, and #10 Texas to get to the Final Four.

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

I really want the state of Texas to win a NC in basketball.  I don’t want to have to root for Baylor to do that, so UH it is.

With that said, no one is beating Gonzaga so there’s always next year.

Well... we've (Texas) won one before. Not that many people here remember it. 

Well done, UH.  School snakebit the last couple of tournaments losing to Michigan on halfcourt prayer and to UK on late shot by Herro.  Perhaps they get over the hump to the FF with Sampson?  Looking forward to getting home to catch tailend of Bama/UCLA, UM/FSY should be a good one also. 

Edited by Underdog
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

Well... we've (Texas) won one before. Not that many people here remember it. 

Armybrat might. That was in 1933, before there was an NCAA tournament, and was awarded retroactively. Nowadays we know who the national champion is as soon as the game is over. Kentucky was also awarded a national championship that year. Which is fine. I never really had a problem with multiple national champions in college football, either. (Except after the creation of the BCS the AP had no business awarding a championship to USC that one year. That was indefensible.)

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Armybrat might. That was in 1933, before there was an NCAA tournament, and was awarded retroactively. Nowadays we know who the national champion is as soon as the game is over. Kentucky was also awarded a national championship that year. Which is fine. I never really had a problem with multiple national champions in college football, either. (Except after the creation of the BCS the AP had no business awarding a championship to USC that one year. That was indefensible.)

Dude, you don’t even Texas western?  Late 1960s...,Would change it’s name to become UTEP. 

Just as an aside, the state of Ohio has won three national championships. In 1960, OSU beat Cal in the final to win their lone championship. Then they faced Cincinnati in the championship game the next two years and lost both times. That’s right, the University of Cincinnati has won two national championships and won them in back-to-back years. 

Speaking of teams from Texas, yesterday I rewatched the dunkathon game, uh vs Louisville.  Remember, this was in high altitude Albuquerque.   I bet the NCAA never schedules a final four in high altitude again.  Bobby Knight was interviewed at halftime, and he claimed none of the athletes  were suffering from the altitude...so billy packer heard this and made a huge point of showing Knight he was wrong in the 2nd half.  

Packer had no dog in this fight on the floor, because he was a biased cheerleader for the Acc.  LU was in MCAC, according to internet. I think all those years CBS had the wrong guy as color.  Remember, packer and Al McGuire were part of a 3 man team for a time at NBC alongside Dick Enberg.  Al was the man with unbridled enthusiasm, fun sayings, etc.  Al should have been the #1.  

Anyway, they showed players receiving oxygen on the bench, so obviously there was an issue.  Made me think of poor guy Lewis on the following Monday night.  He’s 61 years old, has worked his whole career to get to this point, and his much more athletic team has the lead in the 2nd half.  His strongest most athletic player, Akeem, is suffering from the altitude and needs oxygen.  

He has to decide whether to keep the gas pedal on the floor while Akeem sits and risk losing more players to lack of oxygen, or back off, slow it down, buy time so Akeem can get back in the game.  Meanwhile, Nc state loves the game slower.  Played right into their hands.

To me, bottom line is had that game been played in normal altitude, Uh wins.  I definitely want uh winning this year over Baylor. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I meant Texas Western. 

I get that now. Probably should’ve specified the State of Texas because when I see “Texas” referred to in the first person on a Longhorn board I think it’s natural to assume you’re talking about the Longhorns because that’s practically always the case. 

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I get that now. Probably should’ve specified the State of Texas because when I see “Texas” referred to in the first person on a Longhorn board I think it’s natural to assume you’re talking about the Longhorns because that’s practically always the case. 

Yes I see where it could have been confusing. 

I'm not sure Texas even hangs a banner for 1933? I haven't been to the EC in awhile. 

12 hours ago, WJC88 said:

I think you'll be surprised when you watch Gonzaga play. While not at Baylor's level, they are a really good defensive team when they feel challenged. Suggs and Ayayi are very good on the perimeter. Their bigs are good situational defenders. Would be a great matchup with Baylor. 

I've seen Gonzaga play 1/2 dozen times or so.   Agree that Suggs is a really good on-the-ball defender and "afterthought" is too strong a term for their team defense. Gonzaga's a smart team overall and that carries over to its defense.  But they don't generate the suffocating problems that Baylor does defensively.   Bama can obviously do that as well but not to the same degree. 

But no one can match Gonzaga's offensive efficiency and ability to surgically take other teams apart.   So, yes, Baylor and Gonzaga will be a helluva final if it comes to fruition, and I think it will.

• Hook 'Em 1

America's Team is rolling right now and is such a fun style of ball to watch. Every time Creighton wants to make a run Gonzaga just pushes the lead right back up. It's so hard to play against a team that has this level of skill on the court from all five guys. Timme is fun to watch when he has the ball in his hands in the post. 

2 hours ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

Either Gonzaga's defense is amazing or Creighton is having one of those "how did these dorks make it this far? second weekend flameouts you see pretty much every year.

Nah. Gonzaga was favored by like 14. Creighton never had a chance.

2 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

America's Team is rolling right now and is such a fun style of ball to watch. Every time Creighton wants to make a run Gonzaga just pushes the lead right back up. It's so hard to play against a team that has this level of skill on the court from all five guys. Timme is fun to watch when he has the ball in his hands in the post. 

They beat a weak ass Ohio team in round 2. And were shown their place today. But Gonzaga is damn good. They will make plenty of teams look silly.