2021 NCAA Tournament - Meta thread

Machinator

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So SC isn’t bad. I think they were very under seeded at 6. They’ve blown everyone out so far. They look like they don’t deserve to share the court with the Zags. This is a damn good team. 

They seem to be on a different level. Maybe not as good as 91 UNLV, but close

Just now, pops said:

They seem to be on a different level. Maybe not as good as 91 UNLV, but close

I think Baylor is pretty ducking good. I have Gonzaga over Baylor in my bracket. Not particularly original but I think those two are head an shoulders better than college basketball. Zags might be on a tier of their own though. 

26 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I think Baylor is pretty ducking good. I have Gonzaga over Baylor in my bracket. Not particularly original but I think those two are head an shoulders better than college basketball. Zags might be on a tier of their own though. 

Agree. Baylor and zags are head and shoulders better than anyone else. Too bad their early season game got canceled. 

6 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

It's Gonzaga's tourney to lose.  But I watched Villanova beat Georgetown when I was in high school, so who the hell knows.

The final game of the regular season that year we, Pitt, beat Villanova by about 30 points. Rollie benched his starters in that one. A week later in the Big East Tournament Villanova beat us by 10 and then lost to Syracuse, I think by just one or two points, in the semifinals.

Georgetown then beat Syracuse for the title. There must have been 100 of us in the TV lounge for that national championship game.

Randy Dixon, who played OL football n the NFL for a decade, just kept saying “white marvel is gonna get ‘em”. He was saying the same thing for the Final Four game against St. John’s, meaning Chris Mullen, so we were all giving him grief.

Thankfully he was a good dude. During the early part of that ‘Nova-Georgetown game he said It was Jenson’s turn to be the white marvel, and it was.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Thankfully he was a good dude. During the early part of that ‘Nova-Georgetown game he said It was Jenson’s turn to be the white marvel, and it was.

Different eras and rules, but if some team shoots 79% for the game, odds are they just might win it.  Here's the box score for you young'uns.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1985-04-01-georgetown.html

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Different eras and rules, but if some team shoots 79% for the game, odds are they just might win it.  Here's the box score for you young'uns.

I was, and still am, friends with guys who played for Pitt then and talking about that Georgetown v Villanova championship game they were just amazed at what happened. 

This is over.  

I love Baylor, a lot. Best guard trio in the NCAA in a decade.  UConn guards.  Nova guards.  You name it.  Baylor is right there.  But their inside game is average and undisciplined. Vital, especially.  

Gonzaga is simply a basketball savant. Methodical. Effortless. Surgical. Passing like no college team has in years.  Pros?  See the Spurs in their '14 hey day.  The Warriors when Thompson / Curry were at their peak. The ball flows around seamlessly without issue and results in a high percentage shot.   I questioned how Timme would react tonight with that elite Mobley length, size and athleticism.   It wasn't close.   Varsity vs. JV.

Everyone is playing for 2nd place now.  

52 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Villanova played as close to a perfect game of basketball as it could. Just getting to the finals was miraculous. Knocking off peak Georgetown is one of the sport's most memorable moments.

The Hoyas did NOT play poorly--they shot 55 percent from the floor, rebounded 10 of their 24 misses, and forced 18 turnovers. But 'Nova only missed six shots.

No idea what flavor Kool-Aid Massimino had them drinking. VCU's run in 2011 seems nearly as improbable, especially the way @shadow_operative explains it.

15 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

This is over.  

I love Baylor, a lot. Best guard trio in the NCAA in a decade.  UConn guards.  Nova guards.  You name it.  Baylor is right there.  But their inside game is average and undisciplined. Vital, especially.  

Gonzaga is simply a basketball savant. Methodical. Effortless. Surgical. Passing like no college team has in years.  Pros?  See the Spurs in their '14 hey day.  The Warriors when Thompson / Curry were at their peak. The ball flows around seamlessly without issue and results in a high percentage shot.   I questioned how Timme would react tonight with that elite Mobley length, size and athleticism.   It wasn't close.   Varsity vs. JV.

Eh. Probably not wrong, but ya never know. See everyone's recollections on Georgetown v. Villanova. Any given day ...

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Villanova played as close to a perfect game of basketball as it could. Just getting to the finals was miraculous. Knocking off peak Georgetown is one of the sport's most memorable moments.

The Hoyas did NOT play poorly--they shot 55 percent from the floor, rebounded 10 of their 24 misses, and forced 18 turnovers. But 'Nova only missed six shots.

No idea what flavor Kool-Aid Massimino had them drinking. VCU's run in 2011 seems nearly as improbable, especially the way @shadow_operative explains it.

Eh. Probably not wrong, but ya never know. See everyone's recollections on Georgetown v. Villanova. Any given day ...

or UNLV-Duke Part II

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Point. It's the beauty of a sporting event where you every game is a Game 7.   Nothing like it.

Teams have bad games.  Teams like Nova '85 shoot 78%. From the floor. In a game.  It can happen.

Just don't see it this year.

We'll see. 

55 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

This is over.  

Eh. That 2018 Nova team was just as good. You play that tourney 1,000 times they win 997. Just ass beating after ass beating. 

But both of them are up there with best of recent memory - if Gonzaga wins. I actually think Baylor has more than a decent chance at beating them. We will see.

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Insane side part is that years later, Gary McLain admitted to using blow during the Final Four... doesn’t mention the championship game, but the rumor was McLain, McClain and Pickney were all fucked up against the Hoyas.