2021 NCAA Tournament - Meta thread

Machinator

2 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

So the Suggs sequence in regulation.

To my eye -- obvious foul. And then doesn't establish himself in bounds collecting the rebound. Rough sequence for the refs/Bruins

Get new eyes 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, mulletpelini said:

Duke Kentucky was pretty decent, doesn't look like you were old enough though.

I watched Laetner receive the baseball pass, as he was lightly guarded by 2 cats players.  Laetner took his sweet time as he pivoted and then launched the ball from beyond the top of the key.

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Agreed.  This was an awesome game throughout, not just the end.

Given the stage at the Final Four, it’s probably the best game since the Laettner Duke/Kentucky game.   I remember the 2005 tournament having some insane games (Kentucky vs. Michigan State was like triple OT in the Elite Eight, Pittsnogle West Virginia vs. Chris Paul Wake Forest was crazy, Illinois vs. Arizona).   This one is going to be the most replayed after the Laettner shot, though.  Half court buzzer beater in the Final Four, wow.

I think the programs involved (both bluebloods Duke, UK) and the circumstances around both programs (Duke reigning champs, UK and Pitino coming back after Kentucky's Shame) and the twists and turns that game (Laettner's perfect performance along with stepping on the UK player) still puts UK-Duke at the top for me.

But this game is probably #2.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, orangecat92 said:

I take it back...best game was the final game between Nova and Georgetown... nova shot 79% for the game, nearly perfect.  1985.  This game is 2nd to that game.

I was wondering why no one mentioned that game.

The Duke Kentucky game had a lot more ancillary stuff going for it even if not final four.  It was Kentucky “Unforgettables”, Laettner was perfect 10-10 FG, 10-10 FT and both teams made multiple shots in the last 30 or so seconds.  This is there with it though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

I think the programs involved (both bluebloods Duke, UK) and the circumstances around both programs (Duke reigning champs, UK and Pitino coming back after Kentucky's Shame) and the twists and turns that game (Laettner's perfect performance along with stepping on the UK player) still puts UK-Duke at the top for me.

But, are we talking Final Four games or all games?

Just now, A-Tex Devil said:

The Duke Kentucky game had a lot more ancillary stuff going for it even if not final four.  It was Kentucky “Unforgettables”, Laettner was perfect 10-10 FG, 10-10 FT and both teams made multiple shots in the last 30 or so seconds.  This is there with it though. 

Can't forget Laettner stepping on the UK player...lol

• Hook 'Em 1

One of the reasons this game seemed so great was because of the inevitability of Monday’s matchup. I wasn’t excepting this at all. This was a perfect game. As Kellogg said, no one lost it. Juzang was perfect. The earlier game was crap and most figured this one was follow it similarly. Nope. I hope Monday’s game is half as good. 

1 minute ago, orangecat92 said:

I take it back...best game was the final game between Nova and Georgetown... nova shot 79% for the game, nearly perfect.  1985.  This game is 2nd to that game.

it wasn't a crazy buzzer beater ending but I was going to say that this might be the greatest championship game in the 64 team era.  Nova was supposed to get drilled by 15+.

This will be the most famous half court buzzer beater. 

5 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

He didn’t touch his elbow and got all ball, barely to get the block.  You may need some glasses.

Hell, to be fucking ridiculous I just put my loupes on. Can confirm at 3.5x mag that it was a fucking foul. Drag the vid that I posted through the :10 mark. If you want to put your head in the sand, that's fine

Just now, conVINCEd said:

It was a long time ago, and I was a kid, but I recall that game being a little on the ugly side.  Great upset? Absolutely.   Work of art?  Not really.

it was a work of art from the Nova side and was a true David v Goliath on par with NC state v Phi Slamma Jamma

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Yep. And this might be kinda odd, but I think there is more pressure in a regional final than a national semi final. All year long we talk about the road to the final 4. Getting to fill in the blank city. You cut the nets down after you win the regional final bc it’s a great sense of accomplishment. The national Semi’s your just playing for a shot to win it all. Most years- most schools would consider making the final 4 to be a success. For all Gonzaga’s success this is only their second final 4, UCLA hasn’t gone in over a decade, right?  They (UCLA- Houston) won’t look back on this season as a failure or with any sense of anguish. Their fans will buy the shit out of shirts and wear them around town. That doesn’t happen when you lose the regional final. You take that loss to your fucking grave. The time we “almost” got to the final 4. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, conVINCEd said:

It was a long time ago, and I was a kid, but I recall that game being a little on the ugly side.  Great upset? Absolutely.   Work of art?  Not really.

Yes, it was a work of art, because Gtown had the most intimidating defense in b-ball, that year, probably in the decade. To shoot 79 % against them was a miracle. No exaggeration.

1 minute ago, TommyGufano said:

Hell, to be fucking ridiculous I just put my loupes on. Can confirm at 3.5x mag that it was a fucking foul. Drag the vid that I posted through the :10 mark. If you want to put your head in the sand, that's fine

It’s rough being wrong. You’ll get through it, buddy. 

• Hook 'Em 1