2021 NCAA Tournament - Meta thread

Machinator

5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Douchebaggery

Honestly I think that is about what would be expected from him. Doesn't matter because what an amazing game that was. I have never really had much issue with UCLA's basketball program. They have had some of the most enjoyable teams I have watched in my lifetime and while it is not a fun night for you, y'all definitely left everything you had on that court. It took every last thing the Zags had in the tank to pull that one off and I hope America's Team wins on Monday night so that this instant classic isn't just a footnote. I was trying to write a paper so I was going back and forth to the game on my laptop, but everything I saw was great to get to watch. Great run by your Bruins. Time to hope our favorite pro basketball team finishes the job when the time comes in the playoffs! 

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Sherman Douglass, Derek Coleman, Rony Seikaly was crazy talented.  Seikaly and Douglass would make up the crappy Miami Heat teams I watched in their early years in the NBA.

Still can’t believe they let Bobby get away with so much without calling a technical on him. Only knight could’ve gotten away with banging in the scorers table. They let that guy act like a spoiled child all the time

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Just so we are clear- I’m saying the play in the game tonight was way better than the play in that UNC v Nova game. 

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Wrong.  That game is going to go down as one of the best in final four history.  All games are full of ugliness.  That game was amazing.

Hey Matt Gaetz.. you're wrong.. and you're about to go to prison. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Recency bias much?

I backed off that already, when I thought of the famous Villanova-Georgetown game.  Imo this is number 2, ahead of Duke Kentucky.  How many lead changes in tonight’s game?  How many in duke Kentucky? 

Also, this one had OT and a last second shot. Duke Kentucky..? Don’t remember, did it have both? Go look at shooting %, which better, tonight’s or duke- Kentucky?  I think objective data proves this was better game.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just looked at boxes...duke had better shooting %, but Kentucky’s was much worse than duke, about 65 to 57....tonight we had 59 to 58, much closer, both great numbers...duke Kentucky had 31 turnovers, tonight there were 19...much cleaner game tonight.  Only thing I cannot find is number of lead changes, tonight I read almost 20...hard to imagine more than that.  

Both games had one OT and last second shot.  Imo a half court shot has a much lower chance of going in than Laetners shot.

Imo the only area the duke game comes out ahead is Duke FG %. Most items are push, but this game tonight was more even, thus a closer game.  take TOV...10 to 9....Duke game 19 to 12.   Does it get any better than 59 to 58 fg %?

So we have a tougher game winning shot after a closer better played game in a final 4 game as opposed to a regional final...

This game was better.  

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Did he really?  I thought he went after his sophomore year. Didn’t realize he was a junior. 
I think Bobby Knight was talking about that team some years later and he said something like I saw Shaq  and Jackson and was pretty nervous then I saw Dale Brown on the other sidelines and was like- yeah- we got this. 

That was in ‘87, the infamous Knight slamming his fist on a phone complaining about a call in Regional Finals vs LSU. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

33-0 Bird

25-6 Magic

Bird went 7-21 and Magic went 8-15 so it wasn't the "greatest game evar" but it remains the #1 rated title game.

Michigan State 75

Indiana State 64

Sycamores made the dance again in 00 01 & 11, winning a game in 01.

Not certain but believe this was the last time an undefeated made the title game.

The DePaul/ISU semi final was a pretty good game in that FF.  

3 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Won't mention who they beat to get there.  

I was a baby then (like 8). I think that might have been the year Stamford broke my heart by losing to Sienna as a 3 seed with Keefe and Vlohov), but the ole memory bank does funny stuff to you from that long away. 
I assume that with all things Dale Brown the talent level of that team was way better than that of the typical 11 seed? 

That was pre-Shaq, LSU hit a bit of a lull with talent after their '81 FF team lost Macklin, Durand, Martin, etc...  That Regional was played in Atlanta and had UK, Bama, LSU and GTech, UK ended up playing both Bama and LSU 4x that season, really bad job by committee that year.  That may have been the season Brown introduced his junk defense(Box and 1?) to counter Kenny Walker.  

4 minutes ago, Underdog said:

That was pre-Shaq, LSU hit a bit of a lull with talent after their '81 FF team lost Macklin, Durand, Martin, etc...  That Regional was played in Atlanta and had UK, Bama, LSU and GTech, UK ended up playing both Bama and LSU 4x that season, really bad job by committee that year.  That may have been the season Brown introduced his junk defense(Box and 1?) to counter Kenny Walker.  

Just looked up that tournament- it was famous for

uosets but not the one that broke my heart- first time a 14 seed made it to the sweet 16, first time an 11 seed a final four, first time 2 teams at 14 seed won in the same tournament, and... what I actually remember but didn’t have a year assigned to... David Robinson and Navy making the Elite 8. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Sounds like you don't think too highly of Dale Brown, you should read up on him in Wiki, he's a better coach than some will give credit for.  I of course hated him growing up but have developed an appreciation for what he did/accomplished at LSU.  

13 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Sounds like you don't think too highly of Dale Brown, you should read up on him in Wiki, he's a better coach than some will give credit for.  I of course hated him growing up but have developed an appreciation for what he did/accomplished at LSU.  

Honestly I wasn’t old enough to really know if he was a good coach. I’m going on shots Bobby Knight took against him and being a 5,6 and 7 seed with Shaq. It seems utterly absurd to me that you could have an upperclassman in Shaq and be a 7 seed. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

7 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Meh.  Knight shit on everyone who didn't kowtow down to him, he's even shit on America's grandpa Wooden.  I don't remember the specifics of their seasons with Shaq, perhaps Brown just does better as an underdog(no pun intended)?   

I don’t either. 
but I’m digging through the rabbit hole when Dale Brown signed Shaq and Chris Jackson Wimp Sanderson was quoted as saying “even Dale Brown can’t screw that one up” so the feeling wasn’t just isolated to Knight. 
what did he say about Wooden?  Knight was pretty anti- cheating as I recall- wooden having a pristine image while UCLA was running a semi-pro team might have talked him to no end. 

It was labeled the “Freak” defense, and was much more than a box and 1. It had so many “if this....then that” elements that nobody could really explain it so everyone assumed it was made up from scat h multiple times per game
  • Like 1

Thank you.  Saw it in wiki but too late to edit and not like I'm going to rewatch that game anyways.  I just remember Ricky Blanton running down the court flailing his arms after making a shot that iced the game for them.  

Late to the party but that Nova/GTown game is an all-timer imo.  Nova just instilled their gameplan and will against that monster Hoya team.  

Edited by Underdog

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

uosets but not the one that broke my heart- first time a 14 seed made it to the sweet 16, first time an 11 seed a final four, first time 2 teams at 14 seed won in the same tournament, and... what I actually remember but didn’t have a year assigned to... David Robinson and Navy making the Elite 8. 

to be fair 85 was when they expanded to 64 so not much chance for 14's and 11's before that tournament.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Wrong.  That game is going to go down as one of the best in final four history.  All games are full of ugliness.  That game was amazing.

UCLA showed that it belonged in the game. Cronin is a mastermind and will have the Bruins in the elites for as long as he's there. UC-LA!

• Hook 'Em 1

first time an 11 seed a final four

Bro do you even Shaka Smart?  His 2011 VCU team that made the Final Four was an 11 seed they joined 1986 LSU who was the OG 11 seed to make the Final Four as well as George Mason in 2006.  Loyola-Chicago turned the trick in 2018 (apparently you forgot Sister Jean).  VCU even played in the First Four the way UCLA did.

So 5th time an 11 seed has made the Final Four which is an astronomically high number considering we've only ever had one 9 seed make it and one 10 seed.

Edited by Pimphand

And 11 seed has made the FF five times.

27 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That is quite possibly the worst take from last night's game, other than anyone praising Miss Miley.

That his script! That’s what he get the money for. He’s not dumb. His brother is a bad ass chef. As annoying as his stuff is it’s on purpose. Also, he’s a total duck that said Troy Aikman was gay in his book