2021 NCAA Tournament - Meta thread

Machinator

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

Bro do you even Shaka Smart?  His 2011 VCU team that made the Final Four was an 11 seed they joined 1986 LSU who was the OG 11 seed to make the Final Four as well as George Mason in 2006.  Loyola-Chicago turned the trick in 2018 (apparently you forgot Sister Jean).  VCU even played in the First Four the way UCLA did.

So 5th time an 11 seed has made the Final Four which is an astronomically high number considering we've only ever had one 9 seed make it and one 10 seed.

I know my dude. I was talking about 1986 LSU when I said first time an 11

seed...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Big Frog II said:

Skip is undefeated in dumbass remarks.

It's his schtick. Remember when Ali said, "I don't care if they pay to see me win or if they pay to see me get whupped, as long as they pay to see me."

That's Skip. He doesn't care if you read him cause you think he's smart, or to make fun of him cause he's a dumb ass, as long as you read him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Pancho said:

ESPN recruiting page. If that page is incorrect, it’s incorrect.

Yeah it's incorrect.  Timme was on Dallas sports radio 2 different times this last week and specifically said that he took his visit to Gonzaga hoping he wouldn't like it because he wanted to play closer to home, but upon arrival his fit there was too good and obvious so he ultimately chose them. I know we made Baker a priority over Timme and there was a lot of discussion among DFW AAU guys that we were making a huge mistake in doing so. Just based on area competition it was clear to some that Timme was more of a dawg and put forth much more consistent effort despite Baker having more "splash" games on the circuit that made people fall in love with his potential. 

Not sure why so many people think shooting percentage is a foolproof way to decide what game is better. Shitass defense can also lead to high shooting percentages. 

Most games discussed here were awesome and it's all just going to be eye of the beholder opinion in the end anyway. 

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Not sure why so many people think shooting percentage is a foolproof way to decide what game is better. Shitass defense can also lead to high shooting percentages. 

Most games discussed here were awesome and it's all just going to be eye of the beholder opinion in the end anyway. 

It’s not foolproof...but when u see ...example nova shooting 79% against one of the best defenses of all time, in the championship game, that proves it was the greatest final four game ever, in many people’s minds.  

Now look at last night.  There was plenty of great d.  Look at that block on the dunk attempt.  Sure there were plenty of open looks, but there was much d happening.  Also, give credit to the offenses last night...ball movement what a concept! Finally, look at the compared shooting %. 59 to 58.  Both teams were on fire...look at the low turnovers.  Both teams had their A+ game on display, at the same time, in a final 4 game, which I think  is so rare that it deserves consideration as one of the all-time great games.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The Nova GT game was also 1985 the first year they went to 64 teams.   there are a lot of ways to look at the greatest game.

my qualifier on this game is that IMO it is the greatest final game upset in tournament history(just edging NCstate Houston) because Nova basically had to play a perfect game to have a chance to win by 2 points. yes it was slow and they only took 28 shots but made 79% and only won by 2 points.

Would have been interesting had last night's game been played under normal circumstances who the crowd would be cheering for?  Would a possibly pro-IU crowd cheer for UCLA over the Zags competing for an unbeaten season(still 1 to go)?  

Also, these two may have a budding rivalry in the making, only 2nd time they've played in recent years? 

15 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Would have been interesting had last night's game been played under normal circumstances who the crowd would be cheering for?  Would a possibly pro-IU crowd cheer for UCLA over the Zags competing for an unbeaten season(still 1 to go)?  

Also, these two may have a budding rivalry in the making, only 2nd time they've played in recent years? 

this, major * beside anything in sports right now

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

The Nova GT game was also 1985 the first year they went to 64 teams.   there are a lot of ways to look at the greatest game.

my qualifier on this game is that IMO it is the greatest final game upset in tournament history(just edging NCstate Houston) because Nova basically had to play a perfect game to have a chance to win by 2 points. yes it was slow and they only took 28 shots but made 79% and only won by 2 points.

Here is what I want to know.  What is the highest shooting % by one team in a final four game? I think nova is number 1 at 79.  What is the top 10 list?  Also what defensive ranking did they do it against? Georgetown was the best d, but statistically speaking might have been as low as 10, imo.  

For those who look down on the pre-shot clock era, this nova-gtown game was in the 60s, a far cry from a 39-38 slowdown game we lost one year.  Memory tells me that game was in the SWC tourney.....aggy?

1 hour ago, orangecat92 said:

Here is what I want to know.  What is the highest shooting % by one team in a final four game? I think nova is number 1 at 79.  What is the top 10 list?  Also what defensive ranking did they do it against? Georgetown was the best d, but statistically speaking might have been as low as 10, imo.  

For those who look down on the pre-shot clock era, this nova-gtown game was in the 60s, a far cry from a 39-38 slowdown game we lost one year.  Memory tells me that game was in the SWC tourney.....aggy?

not sure what the team shot but Bill Walton went 21-22 for UCLA in the greatest title game performance ever, against Memphis.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

The Arizona vs Stanford Womens championship game was pretty good. 

It came down to the last six seconds with Arizona getting the ball and a chance to take the lead.

And the best play they could come up with was the patented give it to your preferred player who dribbles around the perimeter, then hoists up a desperation, contested 3-pointer as time expires, utilized by shitty NBA coaches on a daily basis.

58 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

And the best play they could come up with was the patented give it to your preferred player who dribbles around the perimeter, then hoists up a desperation, contested 3-pointer as time expires, utilized by shitty NBA coaches on a daily basis.

This was shitty coaching at its finest. 

Aari is going to feel like she let her team down when it was her fucking dumbass coach who let Aari, her teammates, their families, and the students & alums down. 

That “play call” was pure shit. 

21 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

This was shitty coaching at its finest. 

Aari is going to feel like she let her team down when it was her fucking dumbass coach who let Aari, her teammates, their families, and the students & alums down. 

That “play call” was pure shit. 

There were two wide open players that she could have passed the ball to on the play including one on the wing. She seemed committed to taking the last shot regardless of defense. Having said that, she deserved to take the last shot. But Stanford decided to make sure she didn't get a good one with a triple team. My only qualm was that Arizona had one TO left and they rushed the inbound instead of calling it.

• Hook 'Em 1

man this BS. fuck baylor. i don't have shit else to add to this. i hope they all get louisville legs 5 minutes into the game and the bone shards chop off their dicks. fans dicks too.  then maybe i can finally watch a big 12 game without their rape germs on every goddamn thing in sight. 

go zags

hope you homies are doing well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

There were two wide open players that she could have passed the ball to on the play including one on the wing. She seemed committed to taking the last shot regardless of defense. Having said that, she deserved to take the last shot. But Stanford decided to make sure she didn't get a good one with a triple team. My only qualm was that Arizona had one TO left and they rushed the inbound instead of calling it.

I felt like she was too short to see her open teammates. I did not go back and watch it, but damn that game was as ugly at the end as it had been the entire time I was watching. 

27 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I felt like she was too short to see her open teammates. I did not go back and watch it, but damn that game was as ugly at the end as it had been the entire time I was watching. 

Stanford had blown Arizona out twice. The Wildcats' goal was to junk up the game, which was their only shot. The refs let them play, the Wildcats' defense was outstanding.

48 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

There were two wide open players that she could have passed the ball to on the play including one on the wing. She seemed committed to taking the last shot regardless of defense. Having said that, she deserved to take the last shot. But Stanford decided to make sure she didn't get a good one with a triple team.

This.

I think the plan was to go 4 flat along the baseline and let McDonald play hero ball from top of the key, which is pretty crappy, but maybe the coach knows her team can't execute complex sets quickly in 6 secs under that pressure?

Whatever coach planned, it worked. McDonald had 3.5 players guarding her and with open players in the strong and offside corners. If she hits the strong side corner (easy for McDonald who'd made tough jump passes throughout the game), it's a layup as time expires. It's hard to keep composure in that setting, as Stanford showed on their last possession.

Stanford's coach drew up a play with big - big screen across the blocks to get Jones free. Jones was Stanford's best offensive option throughout the game so it was a good play (except for leaving a F in the corner who could've dropped down to contest the pass or shot). Jones was open and showed on the block, the guard who was to make the entry pass missed her inexplicably and tried to pass to their Fr center at top of the key which predictably led to a turnover. Good play on the wipeboard, but Stanford wasn't even close to being able to execute it.

There are a lot of crappy coaches. I know. I've been one. But one thing to remember, is that coaches also have to think about how effectively their players can execute in such pressure. Asking 20 yo to do this in pressure packed situations is hard. McDonald is a baller. She's my daughter's favorite player and she wanted to out and shoot immediately after the game. And yeah, McDonald carried that team so any shot she takes is so ok at that point (still shoulda hit the corner). Great game.

Just watched the replay of the last play and the inbounded pass Aari the ball and then slowly walked on the court and watched. 

No setting a pick, no showing for her, just slowly walking onto the court kind of behind her, watching to see what her teammate would do. 

None of the other players set picks, everyone just stood to the edge and watched. 

It was middle school playground level stupid. 

An actual middle school coach would have had a better play drawn up than stand to the side and watch as your defender moves away to defend the ball handler. 

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Just watched the replay of the last play and the inbounded pass Aari the ball and then slowly walked on the court and watched. 

No setting a pick, no showing for her, just slowly walking onto the court kind of behind her, watching to see what her teammate would do. 

None of the other players set picks, everyone just stood to the edge and watched. 

An actual middle school coach would have had a better play drawn up than stand to the side and watch as your defender moves away to defend the ball handler. 

Please don't misunderstand me. I don't think AZ last play was good either (I called running 1-4 "crappy" above and they didn't even set that up). We don't know how much of what they did was the players not getting to where they need to be. If the AZ coach did run 1-4, maybe it was because she knows her team ball watchs in these situations so hero ball is their best option.

Regardless, there were open players all over the floor, McDonald (who I admire) didn't find them. This happens to NBA players. It was a great game.

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

If you really believe that was the "play" drawn up I don't know what to tell you. Basketball isn't football.  It's not conducted with predetermined robotic movements because there is often too little time and way too many variables at play. The moment the girl inbounding the ball didn't clear out or set the down screen probably set in motion total fail for the play the rest of the way forward.  That doesn't mean the play was drawn up in the manner it played out. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

I have had some time to process that game, and I keep just thinking “that was a great fucking game.”  As gut-wrenching as it was, that was why we watch sports.  It was Apollo v Rocky throwing blows at the end and only one could remain standing.  And Suggs threw the final haymaker.  But I’m usually pissed at losses like this.  But I wasn’t.  I was heartbroken.  But I was psyched that a game like that was played.

I worry that we don’t get back here soon.  But I do love where Mick is taking the program.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I have had some time to process that game, and I keep just thinking “that was a great fucking game.”  As gut-wrenching as it was, that was why we watch sports.  It was Apollo v Rocky throwing blows at the end and only one could remain standing.  And Suggs threw the final haymaker.  But I’m usually pissed at losses like this.  But I wasn’t.  I was heartbroken.  But I was psyched that a game like that was played.

I worry that we don’t get back here soon.  But I do love where Mick is taking the program.

Dude, seeing UCLA/Michigan St and Izzo saying something to the effect of it's gonna be one of the all-time greatest play-in games coming to fruition was incredible. I completely wrote off UCLA and then they just worked everyone in every game. I was like "holy shit, they may actually go from the first 4 play-ins to the fucking NC." 

That grit made the tourney just so much better. 

• Hook 'Em 4