the quest for tokyo gold

Hagbard Celine

8 minutes ago, pied said:

Right before the goal and halftime Holden(I think) were talking about how it was almost the perfect half for the US.  I wouldn't have disagreed with that statement.  

Yes, he said that he couldn’t promise that there would be goals in the second half, but was pointing out that most of the group’s matches had upticks in scoring in the second half...

...and the Soto’s ill-advised back pass followed by Soto overrunning in an attempt to get back and atone for his mistake and BAM... 0-1. 

• Hook 'Em 1

From what I saw (~60 minutes) a draw would have been fair.  Either team scores a fluke goal like that, good on them.  They got it, and not going to sweat the result.  At all.

Only thing that matters is Sunday.  Was true before the game, would have been true if we got run 5-0, and is true now.  

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

So El Salvador wins 2-1. They need a loser tonight and they need their opponent to fall behind in tie breakers.

If Canada loses it needs to be either 3-0 or at least 4 goals.

If Honduras loses, it needs to be by 5 goals. 

Additional senarios:

Draw - Honduras wins the Group, Canada 2nd.

If there is a winner, they are the group winner and then 2nd is the loser unless the above scenarios happen.

EDIT - IMHO, if Canada scores at all, then El Salvador isn't moving on. I don't see this being a 6 goal game, and certainly not that one sided. 

Edited by Captain Ron

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

I only watched the first half, but Canada looked to be the more dangerous team. I think either are going to be tough opponents. 

US-Honduras is 5 PM Eastern on Sunday.  

Canada is not good in the final third, but has some speed.

Honduras is a little chippier... (shocking)... and more skilled, but not quite as fast. (The USA is not fast, so this works out fine.)

Both teams looked to be much worse than I had anticipated. That doesn't mean that the USA can't have brain farts and gift a goal, but we will be the better team against Honduras and we're not that good.

16 minutes ago, pied said:

Thought it was Colombia.  Pretty sure I was at the final game at Toyota Stadum.

It was both. Honduras KO'd the US from the CONCACAF tournament and eliminated them from automatic qualification. The US and Colombia played a 2 leg playoff that the US lost at home 1-2 (after drawing in Colombia 1-1).

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, UDontKnow said:

I don't think there was a single shot on goal.Might need wholesale subs after halftime. Kessler has to be subbed out otherwise risk playing a man down if he draws another yellow card.

Problem is, Kreis' shitty roster management doesn't have anything on the bench.

And who the hell thought Leslie Jones would be a good person for an ad?

5 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

kreis has a u-23 c-side to work with.  he played the entire roster in the group.   soto has to come on.

True.  But every player on this team is a professional soccer player.  There is no excuse for the half-ass walking around and inability to make simple passes.  We don't have a SINGLE shot on goal.