the quest for tokyo gold

Hagbard Celine

6 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Along those lines, fuck MLS for not intervening to put Atlanta FC in its place. Even NBA teams let their players loose (if the player is invited and wants to play) for Olympic qualification/Olympics.

That doesn't make any sense. For as much as the MLS is in bed with US Soccer, you would think this would be a no brainer. WTF??!?!

Another thing that pisses me off was how many times I heard, "The US has had 2 years to prepare for this".  I'm under the impression that our full men's team today may have had an average age under the team Kreis threw out there today.  That's effing pathetic.  The only game we looked halfway decent in - DR - they had, I believe, 6 teenagers starting.  And in that game, wasn't it close until the 60th?  Bitch all you want about this game, but at no point did this team look even remotely ready to play in any of the 4 games this week.  To add, I'd be interested in seeing the overall shot discrepancy minus the final 30 mins against DR.

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Another thing that pisses me off was how many times I heard, "The US has had 2 years to prepare for this".  I'm under the impression that our full men's team today may have had an average age under the team Kreis threw out there today.  That's effing pathetic.

splain

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Half of that roster could be playing on THIS team! (and if this was in cycle, 2020 not 2021, they would be!)

i had not even thought of that.  the u-24 eligible players that have been sold to europe in the past 12 months would decimate every team in this tournament if they had not transferred.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Many of our most talented U-23 players were on the pitch for that Northern Ireland friendly. Believe the logistics didn't allow for them to cross the pond and play in this tournament, unfortunately, so we had to try and make lemonade out of lemons.

Logistics?  You mean, like their clubs in europe don't have to release them and they would have had to have skipped 3 weeks of their club seasons?  Those logistics?

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Kreis should have to hire a coyote to get back to the US.  That was piss-poor roster management.

you people are starting to piss me off.

soccer is not like football or basketball where coaching can create capability.

coaching in soccer is in the use of capability.

everyone is pissed because MLS still can't produce a third-tier of players that are going to dominate concacaf.

the pyramid remains inverted.  it's turning, but will have to produce an order of magnitude more euro-worthy teens every year (20 -> 200) before we can deploy a "B-side" and walk through concacaf without players from europe.

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Along those lines, fuck MLS for not intervening to put Atlanta FC in its place. Even NBA teams let their players loose (if the player is invited and wants to play) for Olympic qualification/Olympics.

except......  the nba season isn't in progress during the summer olympics.

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

fuck twellman.  he was a fraud like colbi jones and milked his exhibition career after he couldn't stick in germany.

"footballing nation" (world cup winners) recent missed olympics:

2016: france, italy, spain

2012: france, germany, italy

2008: france, germany, spain

2004: france, germany, spain

2000: france, germany

1996: germany

1992: france, germany

1988: france, spain

1984: spain

1980: france, italy

1976: italy

1972: france, italy, spain

1968: germany, italy

1964:  france, spain

1960: germany, spain

1956: tournament decimated by boycotts

1952: i think i made my point.  twellman can go fuck himself.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

fuck twellman.  he was a fraud like colbi jones and milked his exhibition career after he couldn't stick in germany.

Yeah but they're in Europe where there are limited spots and it is actually hard to qualify. This is fucking CONCACAF. The only hard thing should be beating Mexico. 

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

True. But we don't want to go down that rabbit hole of the MLS needing to be on the same schedule at the rest of the soccer world, do we?

at the first supporter's summit at mls cup '97 speaker after speaker implored steinbrecher, lamar hunt, and the anschutz team to invert the pyramid, including calendar normalization.  the TOP MEN in US Soccer were told over and over and over what would happen if they did not normalize.  we did get rid of the countdown clock and the overtime shootout.  but we have had 25 years of botched national team madness including sending c-sides to copa america and the gold cup.  what happened in this tournament is the umpteenth iteration of the stupidity of those in charge of soccer in this country, although that is slowly changing.  the time is near when we will be able to tell concacaf to fuck off on all fronts, if our "leaders" choose to do what has always been in their power to do.

18 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

do i need to go pull the data on which olympics mexico has played in?

The fact that Mexico isn't particularly special is my point entirely. CONCACAF should be a breeze for any self-respecting national XI. This is a pathetic joke. Any defense of it is a sign of the pathetic culture America has for soccer. Being the best is the standard we hold ourselves to in every sport we give even the slightest damn about whether it be club or national from basketball to beach volleyball. Suddenly for soccer our standard is below qualifying for the damn tournament year in and year out?

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

you people are starting to piss me off.

soccer is not like football or basketball where coaching can create capability.

coaching in soccer is in the use of capability.

everyone is pissed because MLS still can't produce a third-tier of players that are going to dominate concacaf.

the pyramid remains inverted.  it's turning, but will have to produce an order of magnitude more euro-worthy teens every year (20 -> 200) before we can deploy a "B-side" and walk through concacaf without players from europe.

Anyone with half a brain could tell that the US was the more talented side out there today. I don't care if it's our B team C team D team whatever. It's never going to be a players or talent issue against Honduras. What clubs do the Honduran U23s play for?

If our senior team is so God damn great then we should have plenty of depth to put a competent side on the field for Olympic qualifying. There were multiple guys out there today that have gotten caps for the senior NT. And yet they play the same shitty, disjointed brand of soccer and make horrendous game-sealing mistakes. 

Yet I'm supposed to beleive it's not a coaching issue. When it's staring us in the face. I know what a poorly coached team looks like and I know what a well coached, overachieving team looks like and this was not the latter. We continue to not put our players in a position to succeed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Eh, the guy is calling out the federation. Who cares that he sucked as a player? *

as far a UEFA vs CONCACAF he would note UEFA is a little harder than CONCAVAF.

* I means I guess we could have another thread where we list our soccer fan credentials. 

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Haha 1

Kreis post game comment.  WTF.  Players and coaches take the blame.  And this preseason excuse is bullshit.  They played way better in the Mexico match and he pulls this preseason shit. He starts Dotson on a bum ankle and he is ineffective.  Kreis can't unlock a team.  He fucking sucks.  

https://twitter.com/JeffreyCarlisle/status/1376331708669161472/photo/1

Edited by dogbreath
add image

The pyramid is unquestionably inverting and doing so more rapidly than I expected 5-10 years ago.  I have said it before but free academies at MLS and USL is about the best we can hope for.  The economics of elite club soccer just don't support pyramid inversion below the professional level so depth will always be a challenge.

I'm looking at a Soccer By Ives article about the latest failure and I see this quote from Kreis.

“We have players that are not moving, we have people on the ball that are not committing defenders to make decisions to open up spaces, we have guys that look like they just do not really want the ball,” said Kreis. “It kind of just goes back to mostly mentality for me. That is my opinion right now and I could have it wrong but at the end of the day it just was not quite there from a confidence point of view.”

https://sbisoccer.com/2021/03/u-23-usmnt-left-devastated-after-tragic-failure-to-qualify-for-olympics

...and I'm thinking: "Well, who in the fuck selected this roster?"

I really think that if Uly Llanez had been healthy, then that would have been enough. He would have created or gotten fouled and/or spurred his teammates on to something. Yes, there were 14 guys who played Northern Ireland on Sunday who were Olympic Qualifying eligible plus Tyler Adams & Weston McKennie who didn't even get to play, but out of the ones in the Mexico training camp, Uly would have made a difference. Also, 3 guys from Atlanta would have made a difference. Also, that Embobisse guy... it just seems like out attacking players were not fast and not creative. I don't know what the fuck they were. This was the initial 48-player Call Up.

Here is the full 48-player USMNT Olympic qualifying preliminary roster:

USMNT OLYMPIC QUALIFYING PRELIMINARY ROSTER

GOALKEEPERS

Drake Callender, Matt Freese, Jonathan Klinsmann, JT Marcinkowski, David Ochoa, Brady Scott

DEFENDERS

Julian Araujo, George Bello, Kyle Duncan, Marco Farfan, Justen Glad, Chris Gloster, Aaron Herrera, Aboubacar Keita, Henry Kessler, Mauricio Pineda, Donavan Pines, Bryan Reynolds, Miles Robinson, James Sands, Auston Trusty, Sam Vines

MIDFIELDERS

Brenden Aaronson, Efrain Alvarez, Frankie Amaya, Cole Bassett, Gianluca Busio, Caden Clark, Johnny Cardoso, Hassani Dotson, Brooks Lennon,  Djordje Mihailovic, Keaton Parks, Andres Perea, Brandon Servania, Tanner Tessmann, Eryk Williamson, Jackson Yueill

FORWARDS

Cade Cowell, Konrad De La Fuente, Jeremy Ebobisse, Jesus Ferreira, Jonathan Lewis, Ulysses Llanez Jr., Benji Michel, Ricardo Pepi, Sebastian Saucedo, Sebastian Soto

https://sbisoccer.com/2021/02/brenden-aaronson-konrad-de-la-fuente-and-bryan-reynolds-among-48-players-named-to-usmnt-olympic-qualifying-preliminary-roster

28 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I'm looking at a Soccer By Ives article about the latest failure and I see this quote from Kreis.

“We have players that are not moving, we have people on the ball that are not committing defenders to make decisions to open up spaces, we have guys that look like they just do not really want the ball,” said Kreis. “It kind of just goes back to mostly mentality for me. That is my opinion right now and I could have it wrong but at the end of the day it just was not quite there from a confidence point of view.”

https://sbisoccer.com/2021/03/u-23-usmnt-left-devastated-after-tragic-failure-to-qualify-for-olympics

...and I'm thinking: "Well, who in the fuck selected this roster?"

I really think that if Uly Llanez had been healthy, then that would have been enough. He would have created or gotten fouled and/or spurred his teammates on to something. Yes, there were 14 guys who played Northern Ireland on Sunday who were Olympic Qualifying eligible plus Tyler Adams & Weston McKennie who didn't even get to play, but out of the ones in the Mexico training camp, Uly would have made a difference. Also, 3 guys from Atlanta would have made a difference. Also, that Embobisse guy... it just seems like out attacking players were not fast and not creative. I don't know what the fuck they were. This was the initial 48-player Call Up.

Here is the full 48-player USMNT Olympic qualifying preliminary roster:

USMNT OLYMPIC QUALIFYING PRELIMINARY ROSTER

GOALKEEPERS

Drake Callender, Matt Freese, Jonathan Klinsmann, JT Marcinkowski, David Ochoa, Brady Scott

DEFENDERS

Julian Araujo, George Bello, Kyle Duncan, Marco Farfan, Justen Glad, Chris Gloster, Aaron Herrera, Aboubacar Keita, Henry Kessler, Mauricio Pineda, Donavan Pines, Bryan Reynolds, Miles Robinson, James Sands, Auston Trusty, Sam Vines

MIDFIELDERS

Brenden Aaronson, Efrain Alvarez, Frankie Amaya, Cole Bassett, Gianluca Busio, Caden Clark, Johnny Cardoso, Hassani Dotson, Brooks Lennon,  Djordje Mihailovic, Keaton Parks, Andres Perea, Brandon Servania, Tanner Tessmann, Eryk Williamson, Jackson Yueill

FORWARDS

Cade Cowell, Konrad De La Fuente, Jeremy Ebobisse, Jesus Ferreira, Jonathan Lewis, Ulysses Llanez Jr., Benji Michel, Ricardo Pepi, Sebastian Saucedo, Sebastian Soto

https://sbisoccer.com/2021/02/brenden-aaronson-konrad-de-la-fuente-and-bryan-reynolds-among-48-players-named-to-usmnt-olympic-qualifying-preliminary-roster

Cole Bassett stands out as a creative CM/AM that they could have used instead of the plethora of DMs on the roster.

On 3/28/2021 at 10:20 PM, ztejas said:

Anyone with half a brain could tell that the US was the more talented side out there today. I don't care if it's our B team C team D team whatever. It's never going to be a players or talent issue against Honduras. What clubs do the Honduran U23s play for?

If our senior team is so God damn great then we should have plenty of depth to put a competent side on the field for Olympic qualifying. There were multiple guys out there today that have gotten caps for the senior NT. And yet they play the same shitty, disjointed brand of soccer and make horrendous game-sealing mistakes. 

Yet I'm supposed to beleive it's not a coaching issue. When it's staring us in the face. I know what a poorly coached team looks like and I know what a well coached, overachieving team looks like and this was not the latter. We continue to not put our players in a position to succeed.

100% this was a coaching failure of epic proportions. In three group games we played a solid 30 minutes total out of 270+, and that was at the tail end against the DR. There was no creativity, little movement, and no leadership. All of which falls on the coach, and why do we have to have failed American Coaches coaching these teams? Kries lucked his way into a MLS title more than 10 years ago and has been going downhill ever since. Its like watching the Frank de Bour get fired from Inter, then Crystal Palace, go to Atlanta only to shit the bed and get promoted to the Dutch Sr. team because we have to keep it all in house. 

Should the Tokyo Olympics be canceled because of COVID?

Mike Bebernes
Mike Bebernes
·Senior Editor
Sun, April 4, 2021, 10:38 AM·6 min read

What’s happening

The torch relay for the Tokyo Olympic Games was officially kicked off in a small, socially distanced ceremony late last month. Over the course of the next 100-plus days, more than 10,000 torch bearers are expected to carry the Olympic flame across Japan in its long journey to the opening ceremony, currently scheduled for July 23.

Organizers were forced to delay the 2020 Summer Games last March as the initial wave of the coronavirus was spreading around the world. Though the pandemic will almost certainly still be ongoing by July, the Japanese government and International Olympic Committee are determined to hold the Games as scheduled.

Tokyo 2020, which will keep its name despite the delay, will be a very different event from the typical Olympics. Overseas spectators will not be allowed to attend, masks and temperature checks will be required, and athletes will be barred from socializing with their international competitors. Participants, however, will not be required to be vaccinated.

Japan has fared better than most industrialized nations throughout the course of the pandemic. As of Friday, the country has had fewer than 10,000 COVID-related deaths. But a recent uptick in cases and a sluggish vaccine rollout that ranks worst in the developed world have led many to question the value of hosting the Games. Roughly 80 percent of Japanese citizens polled in January said they want the Olympics to be postponed again or canceled altogether.

[click for whole article]

https://news.yahoo.com/should-the-tokyo-olympics-be-canceled-because-of-covid-153839920.html

YES!!

Cancel the mother fucking Olympics!

The US Boys didn't qualify, so I don't care anymore.

• Haha 1

Haha, maybe cancel fútbol then, but I'm missing track and field, which is what the Olympics should be, imo.

U.S. has tons of young talent in so many events, from the usual sprints and hurdles to many of the middle distances. We might see our first 800m gold medalist (aggy Donavan Brazier) since 1972 (Dave Wottle). Missing out last year absolutely sucked--these athletes have such a short window to be at their peak.

• 3 months later...

Mexico's kids just spanked France's kids 4-1. Brazil spanked Germany 4-2. Spain, WITH PEDRI, tied Egypt 0-0.

There was a lot of opportunity for our kids to do well here and yet US Soccer fucked it up. (No thanks to Gabriel Heinze &  Carlos Bocanegra.) How fucking REGARDED are they?

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 11.08.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 11.09.25 AM.png

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, WBT said:

Spain's Rafa Mir came on as a sub in stoppage time with Spain down 2-1 to Ivory Coast.  He scored to send it to ET and then picked up 2 more in ET for the hat trick.

I would give the manager high marks for his substitutions’ impact on the outcome. 

On 7/31/2021 at 7:55 AM, Napoleon said:

South Korea scored in the 90’ to close their gap with México to:

MEX 6 : 3 S. KOR

…but that was all S. Korea could do. 

JFC the USBNT could have done some fucking damage in Tokyo. FUCK!

Jason Fucking Kreis!

USA’s golden generation missed the olympics IMO. There has never been this great of a talent pool in this country at that age. 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, JNip said:

USA’s golden generation missed the olympics IMO. There has never been this great of a talent pool in this country at that age. 

Is it a golden generation or is it just access to players who played in a better development system?  Without DA, I think players like McKennie, Adams, Richards and multiple others would have switched to HS football.  Pulisic and Reyna would have been studs based on family background.

The DA's sharpened players by competing against good players in a 10 month season. There would be mid season and end of season tournaments that had a huge number of college and pro scouts to watch the tournaments.  The progressive MLS teams integrated their youth players in first team practices. 

Just looked at Tajon Buchanon's profile and it shows he played 3 years for Real Colorado while in high school.  He moved from Ontario to Denver. Had no idea who he was as a youth player, but my son played that team twice a season during those three years.

My son plays for a D3 school that is known as a power with national championships, but almost every game is competitive now.  The coach could recruit good players in the 90's and 00's and would outclass teams with talent and coaching.  That's not true anymore as the coaching has gotten better and the depth of good players has increased.  

DA has gone away, but MLS youth league has taken its place. 

Why does LigaMX want to combine leagues with MLS?  Is it better access to the mexican-american player?