Creation of 01/06 Commission stalls in the House

Satchel

Republicans are insisting on including BLM/Antifa in the investigation:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Legislation creating an independent, bipartisan panel to investigate the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol is stalled, for now, with Democrats and Republicans split over the scope and structure of a review that would revisit the deadly attack and assess former President Donald Trump’s role.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has pushed for the commission, which would be modeled after the panel that investigated the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on New York and Washington. But unlike 9/11, which engendered some unity in Congress almost two decades ago, the insurrection by Trump’s supporters has pulled Democrats and Republicans further apart, even on the basic question of what should be investigated.

It’s a symptom not just of the partisan tensions that run high in Congress but of a legislative branch reeling from the fallout of the Trump era, with lawmakers unable to find common ground, or a common set of facts, even after a mob smashed into the Capitol and threatened their lives.

Democrats say Republicans helped provoke the attack by aiding and abetting Trump’s falsehoods about the election — many signed onto a failed lawsuit challenging Joe Biden’s victory — and question whether GOP lawmakers had ties to the rioters. Some Republicans, including Wisconsin Sen. Ron Johnson, have downplayed the severity of the attack.

https://www.wcax.com/2021/03/18/jan-6-commission-stalls-for-now-amid-partisan-dissension/

Just now, pyrohornIII said:

Then make the mofo non partisan.  Just do it Dems.  They'd sure as hell do it to you.

This is the lesson they don’t seem to be learning. Are some of these tactics assholeish?  Sure. Would the Rs do the exact same thing if they were in your position?  Sure would. 

• Hook 'Em 3

This is the lesson they don’t seem to be learning. Are some of these tactics assholeish?  Sure. Would the Rs do the exact same thing if they were in your position?  Sure would. 

This. Stop negotiating with terrorists. If they want to get on board with an approach that allows for compromise, welcome. Till then....fuck em.
  • Hook 'Em 5

I'm almost wondering if there isn't a cottage industry waiting to be had: A Republican who has a change of heart can set up a consultancy and charge by the hour professional services to Dem's on how to be a more ruthless and effective politician. It's like those boutique admission places who rich people pay to curate a perfect application to get into an ivy league school because they know what the admission office is looking for.

• Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I'm almost wondering if there isn't a cottage industry waiting to be had: A Republican who has a change of heart can set up a consultancy and charge by the hour professional services to Dem's on how to be a more ruthless and effective politician. It's like those boutique admission places who rich people pay to curate a perfect application to get into an ivy league school because they know what the admission office is looking for.

Kind of like the Lincoln Project?  Problem is you can't gather a group of more than two Republicans without getting some kind of sex freak that will sink the organization.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Rick Wilson 

2 hours ago, Satchel said:

Republicans are afraid to death of a 1/6 Commission because many of them will be found out to be involved in the planning of the attack on democracy.

I think Garland is on his own here.  But I have confidence he can pull it off.

• 1 month later...

Not dead yet, though there are only a dozen or so Rs that would take this seriously.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) has offered a plan for a bipartisan 9/11-style commission to review the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, backtracking from an earlier proposal that would have allowed Democrats to appoint the majority of the commission’s members.

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/549441-pelosi-to-offer-plan-for-evenly-split-9-11-style-commission-to-probe

I was thinking about this the other day and wondering how things would resolve themselves.  

I guess Merrick Garland will just have to pick off these insurrection collaborators one by one.  Not as good as a bi-partisan commission but what are you going to do?

• 4 weeks later...

As the House prepare to vote, it must be said that Nancy doesn’t appear to be playing chess with the GOP. McCarthy demanded:

• equal number of appointees
  • Subpoena power
  • No predetermined outcomes.

Nancy buckled on all three and got nothing in return from the Republicans.

When will Democrats learn?

• Like 1

What is the deal here? We've been through this with impeachment (twice), SCOTUS appts, and everything else. Do they want fascism-- because this is how you get fascism. What would the GQP do if they had the House and the Senate? Well, we wouldn't be having this conversation that's for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

What is the deal here? We've been through this with impeachment (twice), SCOTUS appts, and everything else. Do they want fascism-- because this is how you get fascism. What would the GQP do if they had the House and the Senate? Well, we wouldn't be having this conversation that's for sure.

This^

35 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

As the GQP is currently constructed that must never be allowed to happen. No matter what. It is almost time to completely take the gloves off since the GQP is far more along in its fascism than most realize. The crisis is not over yet. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

As the GQP is currently constructed that must never be allowed to happen. No matter what. It is almost time to completely take the gloves off since the GQP is far more along in its fascism than most realize. The crisis is not over yet. 

the scary part is this is really only beginning. it's time to cut off the head of the proverbial snake.

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I've been saying that, along with @Brisketexan and other people on here, but not everyone seems to realize it. The clock is ticking like a damn bomb. I

2 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I've been saying that, along with @Brisketexan and other people on here, but not everyone seems to realize it. The clock is ticking like a damn bomb. I

The problem with brisket is he keeps saying these things about America itself when it’s clear that the Republican Party is the fascist entity here and a distinct minority of the population, just like the nazis were. Why he continues to make that assertion without that qualifier is baffling to me. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

What a world.

The primary goal of the insurrection was to kill mike pence if he refused to declare trump the president. They figured he would give in before getting killed. Probably correctly. When that ultimately failed trump gave up and called it off.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Can’t Biden just create the commission like the Warren Commission? 

One option is to allow committee chairs to call for investigations overseen by them, much like the interminable Benghazi investigations.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

After the senate rejects the house bill because of the filibuster then nuke the filibuster to pass a bill that contains ZERO concessions to the traitor party. 

This. 

The other party trying to conceal their involvement in a monumental criminal conspiracy is the perfect justification for going nuclear. It is impossible to imagine a better opportunity for fixing the senate, and by extension, congress. 

And of course this commission is an absolute imperative. 

The Dems should be fucking ashamed of themselves if they don't take it. Looking at you Joe Manchin, you coward. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I wish this were funnier. 

The GOP committed secretly to the forces of darkness before Trump. He merely revealed their subtext and seized the reins of the hate engine; both had been in place for a long time. 

This is why it was specious to think Trump leaving office would materially change the elected GOP extablishment. Their souls were revealed, not changed. 

How could such people so thoroughly abandon all shreds of decency, integrity, or patriotism? I still think there is something deeper. 

This is omerta

This is real evil. They found a way to wrap it all in piety. Stunning. BLM in the same universe as the Capitol terrorists trying to brind down government? It wasn't actually any worse than a tourist group seeing sites? 

MiniTrue.

This is true. The republicans are the enemy of America. The enemy of democracy. I wish I was kidding.  Trump revealed who they are. Time to lock them up. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2