Site improvements

immamac

28 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

It must crush imma’s soul that this shit happens monthly. 

As bl sits back & laughs, because it never did. 

I'm 99% sure this is still log4j patching. Fucking vulnerability has been a pain in my ass for months now, and most ElasticSearch clusters are impacted by it

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2022 at 10:31 AM, Biff Tannen said:

Why are there no longer links to the different boards in the top banner?

I had that problem as well. Switching from a "no avatar" theme fixed it, but I'd prefer to switch back if possible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

@immamac what sort of file hosting are you ok with? I have some 60fps UHD footage of a BattleBots tournament I saw that I want to put on the TV show thread, and would rather not upload it to YouTube. 

Each 4m video is like 900MB, and I don't want to rock the boat lol. Should I down res them? Also, does surly upload strip off metadata?

20 minutes ago, Captainant said:

@immamac what sort of file hosting are you ok with? I have some 60fps UHD footage of a BattleBots tournament I saw that I want to put on the TV show thread, and would rather not upload it to YouTube. 

Each 4m video is like 900MB, and I don't want to rock the boat lol. Should I down res them? Also, does surly upload strip off metadata?

Yeah EXIF is stripped. You are treefiddy aren't you? Treefiddy have unlimited file storage. You can upload as an attachment or in your own album in the gallery tab/section

54 minutes ago, immamac said:

Yeah EXIF is stripped. You are treefiddy aren't you? Treefiddy have unlimited file storage. You can upload as an attachment or in your own album in the gallery tab/section

Ok nice! I guess I just wanted to make sure that you were ok with ~1GB files before I started uploading

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

i'd like a neg rep option that's not the "fuck you" rep. just a regular downvote type thing. i also wouldn't mind some kind of rep that was equal to giving gold on reddit. you could even do it like reddit have a few bucks donated to the site every time someone gives a golden hook em rep, with the recipient getting a free month of the vip shaggy. 

who? I just got back from montreal.

I’m talking about crispy and his latest (I think 4th handle) as hamsterhookah. Usual MO. Trying to play it cool and rational now, but like the previous 3-4 times, I am sure he will start being his usual self and warrant another banning. I was more curious as to why if someone has been banned multiple times, why are they allowed back. I get having a disagreement and losing your shit once and getting banned then coming back and being cool, but this dude has a history of being a shit heel.

Montreal seems cold this time of year.
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m talking about crispy and his latest (I think 4th handle) as hamsterhookah. Usual MO. Trying to play it cool and rational now, but like the previous 3-4 times, I am sure he will start being his usual self and warrant another banning. I was more curious as to why if someone has been banned multiple times, why are they allowed back. I get having a disagreement and losing your shit once and getting banned then coming back and being cool, but this dude has a history of being a shit heel.

Montreal seems cold this time of year.

Here is why your crying is funny to me:

My username syntax [animal + tobacco product] is reiterated on purpose. It's a very simple and easy identifier and it's obvious I'm not trying to hide myself, right? This is because the only reason I've been banned with other names is because there are the same 4 or 5 posters who have gotten and remained so supremely butthurt about a calm, cool and collected expression of differences of opinions, that their only mental health recourse is to go on a neg spam spree to try and make me cease to exist, instead of just ignoring. It's literally the .01% of posters on this site banning me and then turning around with a "well, c'mon mods-- the entire community banned this guy! we've spoken!".

This illegitimate gaming of the communal moderation is why I not only keep a very easily identifying handle to mark my reincarnation, but also take my next form based on a crowdsourced suggestion. Do you have a new name suggestion you'd like me to go ahead and register now ahead of what I assume will be your spastic response(s) to this post? I'll go ahead and park it, if so.

The best part, however, is I have an active handle that has thousands of green rep points and you yourself have pos rep me many times, solely because the content and not your emotional liabilities that make it hard for you to exist on a platform where you know I am here. 

But to your point, I've learned to just not share opinions or point of views or even really wade into any political discussions because no matter who above board, there are tiny people like you who can't seem to coexist with a difference in mindsets, and have focused most of my value to the community in Daily Texan business threads and Hobbies threads with a smattering of Movies & TV. If you stay out of Cloak Room, you generally stay away from people with mental health issues (on both sides).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

Getting back on track, I actually think a lay-out change could improve the site and here is what I'm thinking:

• 6th Street and Daily Texan feel redundant to me. I think if we had one "Business & Markets" thread, that would be better for the focus and engagement. I find even the best of the posters on those pages sometimes don't know on which to post and there doesn't seem to be consistency. I think that would help some of the quasi-CR stuff that get posted on DT to also naturally be funneled to CR as DT becomes more codified as a business and finance and corporate markets and general business channel.
  • The Hobbies / Sub-Channels (Books, Video Games, Nerdz) design is suboptimal. I think there would be a lot more engagement if these were dedicated channels that were easier to navigate and be engaged with. I think some threads that by design should go to these subchannels are sometimes posted elsewhere because of the lack of visibility. Even just collapsing all those (Books, Video Games, Nerdz, Philosophy like the old Quackenbush) into "Hobbies" would probably not hurt, instead of adding additional click throughs, because I can't imagine the volume is too high as is. I just think about the aforementioned Quackenbush and Philosophical threads that the old site had and that engagement and it's missing here. Those safe spaces to have divergent conversations about philosophy and beliefs and worldviews that were interesting and educational, those same attempts at discussions and conversations for a lack of a better option have been shoe-horned into some of the CR threads which are inherently intolerant in their politicism (on both sides), especially since you have some of the more limited and less capable thinkers on this site who count the CR as a regular watering hole, who have an outsized influence and shaping of the culture and tone.

Just some feedback, I don't know how big a lift any of these suggestions would be.

Edited by HamsterHookah
  • Fuck You 1

Here is why your crying is funny to me:
My username syntax [animal + tobacco product] is reiterated on purpose. It's a very simple and easy identifier and it's obvious I'm not trying to hide myself, right? This is because the only reason I've been banned with other names is because there are the same 4 or 5 posters who have gotten and remained so supremely butthurt about a calm, cool and collected expression of differences of opinions, that their only mental health recourse is to go on a neg spam spree to try and make me cease to exist, instead of just ignoring. It's literally the .01% of posters on this site banning me and then turning around with a "well, c'mon mods-- the entire community banned this guy! we've spoken!".
This illegitimate gaming of the communal moderation is why I not only keep a very easily identifying handle to mark my reincarnation, but also take my next form based on a crowdsourced suggestion. Do you have a new name suggestion you'd like me to go ahead and register now ahead of what I assume will be your spastic response(s) to this post? I'll go ahead and park it, if so.
The best part, however, is I have an active handle that has thousands of green rep points and you yourself have pos rep me many times, solely because the content and not your emotional liabilities that make it hard for you to exist on a platform where you know I am here. 
But to your point, I've learned to just not share opinions or point of views or even really wade into any political discussions because no matter who above board, there are tiny people like you who can't seem to coexist with a difference in mindsets, and have focused most of my value to the community in Daily Texan business threads and Hobbies threads with a smattering of Movies & TV. If you stay out of Cloak Room, you generally stay away from people with mental health issues (on both sides).

Feel better? I’m looking forward to seeing your next handle.

Show me where I have repped you “many times”.

1 hour ago, HamsterHookah said:

Getting back on track, I actually think a lay-out change could improve the site and here is what I'm thinking:

• 6th Street and Daily Texan feel redundant to me. I think if we had one "Business & Markets" thread, that would be better for the focus and engagement. I find even the best of the posters on those pages sometimes don't know on which to post and there doesn't seem to be consistency. I think that would help some of the quasi-CR stuff that get posted on DT to also naturally be funneled to CR as DT becomes more codified as a business and finance and corporate markets and general business channel.
  • The Hobbies / Sub-Channels (Books, Video Games, Nerdz) design is suboptimal. I think there would be a lot more engagement if these were dedicated channels that were easier to navigate and be engaged with. I think some threads that by design should go to these subchannels are sometimes posted elsewhere because of the lack of visibility. Even just collapsing all those (Books, Video Games, Nerdz, Philosophy like the old Quackenbush) into "Hobbies" would probably not hurt, instead of adding additional click throughs, because I can't imagine the volume is too high as is. I just think about the aforementioned Quackenbush and Philosophical threads that the old site had and that engagement and it's missing here. Those safe spaces to have divergent conversations about philosophy and beliefs and worldviews that were interesting and educational, those same attempts at discussions and conversations for a lack of a better option have been shoe-horned into some of the CR threads which are inherently intolerant in their politicism (on both sides), especially since you have some of the more limited and less capable thinkers on this site who count the CR as a regular watering hole, who have an outsized influence and shaping of the culture and tone.

Just some feedback, I don't know how big a lift any of these suggestions would be.

You're as welcome here as a swastika-shaped shit in a synagogue. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/25/2023 at 10:32 AM, HamsterHookah said:

Bumping this because I'm reminded of how the design for hobbies seems sub-optimal. For example, you have a thread about Cormac McCarthy dying which has gotten great posts and reflections and recommendations and discussion-- even to the one guy who had a dissenting opinion almost wholly born of ignorance was treated very kindly-- and it's in the Daily Texan. 2/3 of the posters on that thread probably don't even know a Books forum is nested in the Hobbies forum.

Edited by HonkeyVape
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...