We're getting older, so let's reach some conclusions about gin

tantric superman

It wasn't til I reached a pretty old age that I started appreciating the sting of gin.  I'm actually more interested in just a good gin with tonic or elder flower tonic/soda as it's warming up.  I just bought some  of this stuff and I thought it pretty damn tasty.

086072600040.jpg

My daughter brought me some good gin from Scotland a while back, but I don't remember the name.  Same thing, kind of a "botanical" theme.  I thought all gin was botanical anyway (juniper). 

In any case, thoughts on where this one fits in, and recommendations for some that are solid values?

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Would you drink gin straight?

What do you think we are a bunch of 19th c. English prostitutes ?

Course, I like a gin, and waft of vermouth, chilled, and shaken out in a martini glass, maybe garnished with a couple blue cheese, stuffed olives.......guv'ner...

I fucking hate it.  I've had the worst of it and the best of it and it's all elderberry ass juice.

That said, I had a few cocktails a few weeks ago with the gin from Still Whiskey in South Austin and rather enjoyed them.  

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I fucking hate it.  I've had the worst of it and the best of it and it's all elderberry ass juice.

That said, I had a few cocktails a few weeks ago with the gin from Still Whiskey in South Austin and rather enjoyed them.  

B-u-u-u-u-y Mennen.... C-o-o-o-o-o-o-stanza....

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

We have several brands of gin in the pantry, a gin and tonic is one of my favorite drinks. My husband does not care for the Hendrick's--he was surprised as he thought he would, but I think he was hoping for more of the cucumber to come through (I think that was the issue, it's been awhile). He bought a bottle of genever (Dutch), this one below just to see what it was like and did not care for it at all, at all:

Bols Genever Barrel Aged 1ltr » Slijterij Vidra

These are what we have now. We often have Tanqueray around, it's an easy mix.  A splash of Rose's Key Lime when we don't have the fruit on hand is quite tasty:

Review: Aviation Gin (2013) - Drinkhacker

Seagram's - Extra Dry Gin - Arlington Wine & Liquor

Hayman's Old Tom Gin 70cl : Buy from The Whisky Exchange

This one below, though, we have really enjoyed  with just some tonic and it also makes some tasty and eye catching cocktails, I believe there is an older gin thread where I put a mention of it. It has a strong flavor and yes, it is purple, and turns an eye-catching pink depending upon the mix. But we made a cocktail (dubbed Mr. Snowman, from their website) with a clove simple syrup that I made one weekend that was pretty tasty.

Empress 1908 Gin 750ml | Uptown Spirits™

Here is their website to scroll through for ideas:

https://www.empressgin.com/signature-cocktails/

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

It’s roots are medicinal, and after a few hundred years of experimentation.........it still tastes medicinal.

same for me.  I've tried it and had the medium-to-better stuff and I just don't enjoy it like other drinks.

16 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Basically how I drink martinis, so... yes.

I love gin, but it's a strong flavor and I totally understand those who don't.

When I was flying international a lot, it was always easy and cheap to get Bombay Sapphire duty-free, so that's always been my usual.  I don't like the flavor of cucumber at all, so I don't ever do Hendricks with cucumber added, but Hendricks with lime in a G&T tastes just fine.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Used to hate gin but finding a love of it, especially in a negroni. 

The Scottish gin you may be thinking about is Pickerings. Their Navy Strength is absurdly smooth. 

spacer.png

Another Scottish gin I'm really into and more on the dry side is Botanist 

spacer.png

Otherwise, Austin Reserve is a solid local and balanced one. 

spacer.png

Edited by SmokeyTheBear
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Of course i would-not since Friday night, though.  Bombay Sapphire with a cocktail onion my preference, but Tanqueray will certainly do-  check out Richard Nixon’s lauded martini recipe, he was a martini guy.

2 minutes ago, After irth said:

Boodles in the house here. Wife (no pics) is quite proficient with the cocktails, among other things. 

Yeah my wife had never had gin before we started dating.  She tried some of my gin and tonic one time, and loved it.  Now she's far more proficient than I am at mixing gin drinks.  She picked up a bunch of grapefruit and made us a lot of greyhounds throughout Spring Break this past week.

• Like 1

In college just before we turned 21, we followed the teachings of Snoop and Dre and acquired a bottle of Seagrams extra dry and mixed it 50-50 with orange or cranberry juice. Much vomiting commenced that evening. Didn’t drink gin again for 15 years when I started on higher quality gin in a proper cocktail. Still lower than bourbon, vodka, and rum in the power rankings though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

At 22, fresh out of UT, I was sent on a few trips to London and India for work.  My bosses forced me to drink a bunch of high-end gins.  I was used to guzzling low quality Long Island Ice Teas at the Buffalo Club at 1:55 am....yet still, I hated gin. 

Fast forward a couple trips and I became convinced you ain't a drinker if you don't like gin.  It's the drinking man's drink.

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

In college just before we turned 21, we followed the teachings of Snoop and Dre and acquired a bottle of Seagrams extra dry and mixed it 50-50 with orange or cranberry juice. Much vomiting commenced that evening. Didn’t drink gin again for 15 years when I started on higher quality gin in a proper cocktail. Still lower than bourbon, vodka, and rum in the power rankings though. 

Now THAT'S never happened to anybody......  well.... I did have a friend that happened to a time or two...

Edited by Onboard 2.0

love a G&T w/ lime in the summertime. 

Austin Land and Cattle and Chez Zee both make fantastic gimlets. 

i have to say with gin i don't feel nearly as bad the next day if i overindulge (that's a nice way of saying when i drink too much gin the hangovers are not nearly as bad as with other beverages lol) 

4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

My junior year in college me and my roommate tried this out too. I have a vague recollection of projectile vomiting on the side of I-35 and haven't touched the stuff since. Similar experience with tequila.

I stick to scotch, bourbon and occasionally rum.

On 3/20/2021 at 2:07 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

I've always liked gin. A properly mixed, effervescent G&T w/ a lime wedge on a Summer day ?  Yeah, nice.. but kind of stopped drinking it for a while.

The son turned me on to this, and I have a rekindled flame.

Unknown-2.jpeg

I'm a big fan of Hendrick's.

On 3/21/2021 at 8:07 PM, Hornbeliever said:

At 22, fresh out of UT, I was sent on a few trips to London and India for work.  My bosses forced me to drink a bunch of high-end gins.  I was used to guzzling low quality Long Island Ice Teas at the Buffalo Club at 1:55 am....yet still, I hated gin. 

Fast forward a couple trips and I became convinced you ain't a drinker if you don't like gin.  It's the drinking man's drink.

I thought Scotch was the drinking mans drink ?

16 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I thought Scotch was the drinking mans drink ?

There’s a lot of sophistication with gin cocktails I get it. But it’s a head in a vice drink for a lot of folks.  Fuck that shit, if I never have another hangover I’ll be ecstatic. 

1 minute ago, troph said:

There’s a lot of sophistication with gin cocktails I get it. But it’s a head in a vice drink for a lot of folks.  Fuck that shit, if I never have another hangover I’ll be ecstatic. 

All liquors with distinct aromas/flavors seem to have a penchant for folks swearing off of them. For me it's scotch. It was Tequila for many years.  I can see gin doing that to people as well.

my lovely wife has 47 different guns from 29 different countries in her bar. she’s a fan and damn sure knows what she’s doing in the cocktail arena.

she swears by some of the recent Japanese gins...especially the Ki No Bi cask aged. domestically, her favorite is bourbon barrel aged Big Gin out of Seattle.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 10:37 PM, Sam Lin said:

Gin menu at a local French restaurant, owner is a big gin aficionado. I took a pic because I know zero about gin but knew the menu was fairly large.

249425141_ginmenu.thumb.jpg.ab58d2fa289362a378fdd3a74bc6e2ff.jpg

Interesting.  My current bottle of Bombay Sapphire and its backup both say 47%, not 40.  Citadelle and G’Vine both make a pleasant, easy sipping martini (or Gibson, my preference) with flavor without oiliness.

My first experience with gin was warm Gordon’s right out of the bottle.  Do not recommend.