Texas vs. ACU - First Round - 8:50pm on truTV/TNT

Pancho

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

the last call at the end was definitley a questionable call. 

No. It really was not. 
Hacking is what happens when you’re undisciplined and don’t simply block out. 
It’s literally the FIRST rule of rebounding. Shot goes up, find a body and block ‘em out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

This is not exactly correct. The only ACU guy in foul trouble was the expendable white dude and that was late. Teams that create a ton of turnovers also tend get called for quite a few fouls. That didn’t really happen. They were allowed to maintain their hyper aggressive play.

We were not good. But they hit their free throws and got almost 20% of their points from last second or miracle shots.

But we didn’t really get shit for all the favorable treatment we supposedly get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s a decent argument to be made their aggressive play should have led to more fouls. But you could also say not so in the tourney. I thought they played really sound defense most of the night - hence my comment about make the game about FG% and get extra shots and give them none.  I realize we focused on turnovers but if we had 10 second chance points, we win. Hell, 2 second chance points on paper.  It was clear we were in a dog fight for the whole game within 5-10 minutes and Texas didn’t adjust. The adjustment wasn’t - take care of the ball - the best turnover team in the country on paper was doing their thing.  You don’t beat them at the same thing when they are on their game, you struggle through and find another angle.  This needed to be a grind it out game and it was GOTDAMMED apparent ACU would give it to us on FG% if we would just rebound the fucking basketball - take their second chance points away and create our own second chance points.  That’s it, nope, let’s send all five guys back on defense when a three ball bounces off the rim. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, NTVTXN said:

No. It really was not. 
Hacking is what happens when you’re undisciplined and don’t simply block out. 
It’s literally the FIRST rule of rebounding. Shot goes up, find a body and block ‘em out. 

I will say that the previous time Coleman blocked out, the fat guy from acu shoved him under the rim and grabbed the rebound and then Coleman got called for a foul. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

I will say that the previous time Coleman blocked out, the fat guy from acu shoved him under the rim and grabbed the rebound and then Coleman got called for a foul. 

Yeah, I saw that. Shit happens. Just gotta keep playing. 

37 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I think he gets fired.  The fact that this happened against ACU instead of some school our alumni has never heard of makes it so much worse.  If it had been some tiny school in Indiana our casual fans might say, “Well, they really live basketball up there.  Maybe that school has a decent program?”

This is Abilene Christian. We know what that school is, and that they should never in a million years compete with us in anything. And all the other people we run across in Texas know and will rub it in.  And their team looked like a bunch of carnie hobos with YMCA game to top it all off.   There’s no way he should recover from this, and there’s no way we should accept it.

THIS^. It is embarrassing. Truly embarrassing. 

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yes that was a horrendous call. Like OU holding and they tack on a personal foul on Texas for bitching about it to the ref. 

19 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

We have every advantage in the state and yet tonite we are the only team from Texas that has lost and only team in the conference that has lost. It’s not baffling to me anymore because I have decided we have no identity. No killer instinct when it counts. This has been going on in most of UT sports for the better part of a decade or more. It fucking blows. We should not have been in a position to let a ref call come close to deciding this game. It’s embarrassing. We have every resource. All the money wtf?

uh we hired a shitty coach and knew it 3 years ago, but as per usual we ride stupid all the way to the end of the tracks.

42 minutes ago, troph said:

I agree with all of this but it was a hack. It was a foul, I wish it could of been called a floor foul but it wasn’t.  And a fucking scrub nailed 2 FTs and a scrub team shoved Shakas bullshit in, that’s it.

Luv ya, and it may have been covered but we had 8 fouls so it would have been a 1n1. So that part didn’t matter. I also agree it was clearly a foul but that’s not one that always gets called in that situation. Sims got hip bumped across the lane at the same time as the Coleman foul but It happened on the other side of the lane away from the ball.

5 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Luv ya, and it may have been covered but we had 8 fouls so it would have been a 1n1. So that part didn’t matter. I also agree it was clearly a foul but that’s not one that always gets called in that situation. Sims got hip bumped across the lane at the same time as the Coleman foul but It happened on the other side of the lane away from the ball.

Good point re 8 fouls / 1n1.  Still was one and I didn’t see the foul away from the ball. I just don’t see how you don’t call the hack that’s all. 

35 minutes ago, Texas Sucks said:

No clue who that is, but HAHAHAHAHAHA. Y’all SUUUUCK

You guys are losing y'all's touch around here. This dude has already been here for 45 minutes and hasn't been crowd sourced yet? Don't tell me Shaka took away the enjoyment of a good crowd source from Surly too?

End of the day, Texas is not a basketball school.  None of the real basketball programs get their rocks off if they beat Texas.  Oh sure, shit ass teams like ACU get a kick out of it, but programs like Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas, etc. they expect to beat Texas.  Texas will beat them every now and then but very rarely when it really matters.  It took an absolute freak of nature named Kevin Durant to get Texas to its one ONE final four in school history.  That's shit.

• Fuck You 6

47 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I think Texas wins if Ramey isn’t on the team

Couid be wrong but he gets so many minutes and rarely performs well 

So disappointed for our guys 

Ramey ended the year poorly but was still our best shooter and was one of our best players overall for the year. Think about that.

End of the day, Texas is not a basketball school.  None of the real basketball programs get their rocks off if they beat Texas.  Oh sure, shit ass teams like ACU get a kick out of it, but programs like Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas, etc. they expect to beat Texas.  Texas will beat them every now and then but very rarely when it really matters.  It took an absolute freak of nature named Kevin Durant to get Texas to its one ONE final four in school history.  That's shit.

Wat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

TJ Ford And Bully Gilstrap think your history is....off. 

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

?? Lol Wut. You mean T.J. Ford.

2 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Ramey ended the year poorly but was still our best shooter and was one of our best players overall for the year. Think about that.

Then he shouldve been looking for open 3 chances instead of doing whatever he calls what he did tonight.  

Kevin Durant did not make it to the final four or even out of the first weekend, numbnuts.
  • Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Teams that create a ton of turnovers also tend get called for quite a few fouls. That didn’t really happen.

Those types of teams usually substitute in mass like ACU did today.  You didn't see many subs where one guy comes in, usually it was two or three at a time.  Back in the mid 90's, Pitino's Kentucky teams and Richardson's Arkansas teams would sub 4 or 5 at a time to keep the tempo in their favor.  Those were some bad ass teams to watch.

• Hook 'Em 2

I was giving Sims crap for not bringing his best energy on the boards, and he shouldve no matter what his touches look like.  But it is hard to blame him for being disengaged when you see this stat.  

How many times did we throw it away or get it stolen on the perimeter before we could get it down to Sims? A lot.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

dave.gif

• Haha 1