Texas vs. ACU - First Round - 8:50pm on truTV/TNT

Pancho

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Those types of teams usually substitute in mass like ACU did today.  You didn't see many subs where one guy comes in, usually it was two or three at a time.  Back in the mid 90's, Pitino's Kentucky teams and Richardson's Arkansas teams would sub 4 or 5 at a time to keep the tempo in their favor.  Those were some bad ass teams to watch.

But the total foul count was still low.  Not even in the double bonus.

• Hook 'Em 1

Twitter trending:

1. Abilene Christian

3. Joe Pleasant

8. Andrew Jones

11. Big 12

18. Greg Brown

20. Ramey

21. Will Muschamp

Viewers believe Abilene Christian head coach Joe Golding looks like college football coach Will Muschamp as they tuned in to the Wildcats’ upset victory over the Texas Longhorns in the NCAA Tournament 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, clapclapclap said:

Twitter trending:

1. Abilene Christian

3. Joe Pleasant

8. Andrew Jones

11. Big 12

18. Greg Brown

20. Ramey

21. Will Muschamp

Viewers believe Abilene Christian head coach Joe Golding looks like college football coach Will Muschamp as they tuned in to the Wildcats’ upset victory over the Texas Longhorns in the NCAA Tournament 

All things shall pass.

There’s a decent argument to be made their aggressive play should have led to more fouls. But you could also say not so in the tourney. I thought they played really sound defense most of the night - hence my comment about make the game about FG% and get extra shots and give them none.  I realize we focused on turnovers but if we had 10 second chance points, we win. Hell, 2 second chance points on paper.  It was clear we were in a dog fight for the whole game within 5-10 minutes and Texas didn’t adjust. The adjustment wasn’t - take care of the ball - the best turnover team in the country on paper was doing their thing.  You don’t beat them at the same thing when they are on their game, you struggle through and find another angle.  This needed to be a grind it out game and it was GOTDAMMED apparent ACU would give it to us on FG% if we would just rebound the fucking basketball - take their second chance points away and create our own second chance points.  That’s it, nope, let’s send all five guys back on defense when a three ball bounces off the rim. 

This is certainly true. He’ll you lose by 1 doing any 1 thing better changes the outcome. Everybody knows who Shaka is a this point. Flawed in multiple ways.

But there were bullshit calls on us. Cunningham called for the foul on the hustle rebound attempt. Just below your post, Pato referenced a bullshit call on Coleman. There was a non -call on Jones a foot from the bucket then similar contact on Ramey for a 3 point play at the other end. Their big guys were generally allowed to be physical which helps when you’re on the thicker side. And your confidence and aggression goes up when you’re allowed to play. Those 3 foul calls referenced above change the sequence of the last series because they wouldn’t be in the bonus.

ACU plays their butts off. Good mix of size and quicks. Actually enjoyable to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

Ramey scored a total of 6 points in our last 3 games combined.  Let that one sink in.  

What is your obsession with Ramey? He sucked to end the year. He also was our best 3 point shooter, 3rd leading scorer (2 points behind our leading scorer), and was equal in assists/turnover to Coleman. He was operating with a malfunctioning, criminally designed offense with a coach that has no idea how to get players to stop doing stupid shit. Other than bench one of your first round picks in a game you get bounced from the tournament but I expect there was more to it than the conference tournament meltdown. Actually I don’t, Shaka is just a fucking idiot.

• Hook 'Em 1

This was the first Texas game I have watched in I don’t know how long. I watched about half of it because I was also watching Gonzaga. Gonzaga scored three more points in the 2nd half of their game than the Horns entire score. Texas just looked like some guys that all met up an hour before tip-off and were just winging it offensively. Perhaps the next coach will have a cohesive offense as part of his coaching ability. I would go after Gonzaga’s lead assistant Tommy Lloyd and at least get him to say no. He likely would, but make the decision a hard one. He is their coach-in-waiting and recruits like few others do at the collegiate level. 

Why do people bring up Ramey's stats to defend him? He is an absolute liability on the floor (can't dribble, turnover machine, bad decision maker, average shooter, and so on and on). He should not be seeing more than 5 minutes at any D1 program. You would think people who get paid millions to win games should recognize this. Instead Ramey gets to play almost the whole game!

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, justhookit said:

What is your obsession with Ramey? He sucked to end the year. He also was our best 3 point shooter, 3rd leading scorer (2 points behind our leading scorer), and was equal in assists/turnover to Coleman. He was operating with a malfunctioning, criminally designed offense with a coach that has no idea how to get players to stop doing stupid shit. Other than bench one of your first round picks in a game you get bounced from the tournament but I expect there was more to it than the conference tournament meltdown. Actually I don’t, Shaka is just a fucking idiot.

Hey Ramey.  How you doing?  Probably should be working on your game but nice to see you here.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Also to be fair Coleman also was not very good tonight. But Ramey has consistently not been good to end the season and still got 36 minutes tonight.  

Edited by chemHORN

6 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

Also to be fair Coleman also was not very good tonight. But Ramey has consistently not been good to end the season and still got 36 minutes tonight.  

Yeah, if he played Ramey’s minutes he would have been over 10 turnovers. Anyway, I was screaming at the tv to play Coleman and Jones at the guards with Kai, Brown, and Sims. But Shaka refused to do that tonight and basically all year. Instead we gave weird minutes to Hamm and Williams and too much time to Cunningham in a game where we were struggling to score.

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Why do people bring up Ramey's stats to defend him? He is an absolute liability on the floor (can't dribble, turnover machine, bad decision maker, average shooter, and so on and on). He should not be seeing more than 5 minutes at any D1 program. You would think people who get paid millions to win games should recognize this. Instead Ramey gets to play almost the whole game!

tallest midget

Just now, justhookit said:

Yeah, if he played Ramey’s minutes he would have been over 10 turnovers. Anyway, I was screaming at the tv to play Coleman and Jones at the guards with Kai, Brown, and Sims. But Shaka refused to do that tonight and basically all year. Instead we gave weird minutes to Hamm and Williams and too much time to Cunningham in a game where we were struggling to score.

I would agree accept for Cunningham.  He only played 10 minutes and this was his kind of game.  Scrappy and he could match their intensity.  Interesting enough in the same time period Cunnigham has 7 points in 47 minutes. Although all 7 points came in 1 game when you do the math he was about twice as productive offensively as Ramey over the last 3 games.  

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The fact that we can't actually agree on which players should have gotten the bulk of the minutes is just an indicator of how bad Shaka is at developing talent and defined roles for players not named Coleman.

True. When you don't develop them properly, it's hard to know what you should do.

8 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

This reminds me that Shaka brought in Hamm and Williams even though they’ve been out of the rotation for like a month because he was in full “throw shit against the wall” mode and was literally hoping for a magic player on our roster to make something happen.  

His coaching advice in the huddle really might have been, “Play better!”

Haha yeah you and I were posting about hamm and Williams at the same time. When it happened in the game I told my buddy we were about to have a Hepa sighting. I’m still not sure what we were trying to do tonight on offense. It was even worse than our normal jackassery. 

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

I think Texas wins if Ramey isn’t on the team

Couid be wrong but he gets so many minutes and rarely performs well 

So disappointed for our guys 

I dont know if this post is stupider or the one where someone thought KD made the Final Four is stupider but they're both absolute gems. 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Haha yeah you and I were posting about hamm and Williams at the same time. When it happened in the game I told my buddy we were about to have a Hepa sighting. I’m still not sure what we were trying to do tonight on offense. It was even worse than our normal jackassery. 

Honestly I would rather have seen Hepa just for his cold off the bench 3 point shooting ability. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I dont know if this post is stupider or the one where someone thought KD made the Final Four is stupider but they're both absolute gems. 

Not sure why its dumb.  Ramey has been good at times but over the past 3 games he has been pretty bad.  I agree with it for this game.  You give half those 36 minutes to someone else I think you find the 2 points you need to win the game.  

Edited by chemHORN
  • Hook 'Em 1

Why the fuck wasn’t GB on the floor? But on the sidelines, he was doing the hepa team spirit shit. I guess because he knew he was getting paid regardless if we won or lost.

im over it already. Once I saw the first 4 minutes of the 2nd half, I knew we were in trouble and it was probably over. 

The clock is on CDC as to when Shaka is let go. If he’s not, I have my strongly worded letter ready to go.

9 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Why the fuck wasn’t GB on the floor? But on the sidelines, he was doing the hepa team spirit shit. I guess because he knew he was getting paid regardless if we won or lost.

im over it already. Once I saw the first 4 minutes of the 2nd half, I knew we were in trouble and it was probably over. 

The clock is on CDC as to when Shaka is let go. If he’s not, I have my strongly worded letter ready to go.

I suspect there has been more going on with GB than just the meltdown we saw last week. The other option is Shaka is even worse than we all think.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

Not sure why its dumb.  Ramey has been good at times but over the past 3 games he has been pretty bad.  I agree with it for this game.  You give half those 36 minutes to someone else I think you find the 2 points you need to win the game.  

I'm amazed I even have to explain this but it's basically like if someone drove a Ferrari off of a 500 foot cliff and killed themselves and afterwards someone says "well if it was a Porsche he would have lived"

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm amazed I even have to explain this but it's basically like if someone drove a Ferrari off of a 500 foot cliff and killed themselves and afterwards someone says "well if it was a Porsche he would have lived"

Nope still makes no sense.  No matter what Ramey had done in the past he was bad enough to cost Texas the game tonight.  6 points 36 minutes isn't good enough to win.  If anyone else plays his minutes tonight we probably win.  The original statement was legit.  

Has anyone mentioned we played really bad defense on the last play? We got caught on a bad switch off Coleman’s man and Kai and Sims got in each other’s way. Kai ends up blocking the shot, Sims is across the lane out of the play and then Coleman ends up reaching and gets the foul. Really bad sequence. I need to find the replay to watch again but I’m pretty sure if Kai and Sims don’t get tangled that drive gets cutoff outside the lane.

13 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

Nope still makes no sense.  No matter what Ramey had done in the past he was bad enough to cost Texas the game tonight.  6 points 36 minutes isn't good enough to win.  If anyone else plays his minutes tonight we probably win.  The original statement was legit.  

I agree. Let’s only play our best players when they are doing the touchdown plays.

but really. Kai, Sims, and brown were 8-9 tonight. We lost because Shaka could not/ would not get them the ball. Not because of Ramey or Coleman’s missed 1 and 1 or dribbling off his foot.

Edited by justhookit

16 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

It isn't about Ramey. It never was. Not at any point this season was Courtney Ramey Texas' biggest issue (which is probably why I've had to defend him so much here). If I'm Shaka I'm thanking God that I have Courtney Ramey on my team to serve as a convenient distraction for my incessant, massive fucking ineptitude. So keep discussing which player did what wrong to cost Texas the game while I sit over here and laugh at people that are completely missing the point.

Edited by ztejas